• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lanky Kong, the Kong with no style or Grace for Smash 4 DLC

seaking4steel

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1054-6409-7409
The DK franchise only has two representatives, and it is desperate need of a third character. Dixie King I imagine would only be a Diddy clone (like we need that) and King K Rool, despite being highly sought after, has seemed to have fallen of the face of the franchise by not appearing in the new DKC games. Lanky Kong could have some very interesting moves that HE could use. His Grab would have the longest reach out of all fighters. His spot dodge could be a handstand and also be his used for his "crawl". His up special would involve Lanky using the Baboon Balloon to inflate himself (just like a balloon) and his neutral special would be the Grape Shooter. But I'm not done yet, his side special, the OrangSprint would allow Lanky to not only handstand, BUT sprint into enemies while doing so. I'm not sure what HE could use for a down special yet aside from a generic Barrel Throw, but his final Smash would definitely be Lanky playing his signature Trombone Tremor. It's mechanics would be similar to DK's Konga Beat, but more powerful at the cost of time length. Now if this isn't convincing you to vote for Lanky Kong DLC in Smash 4 I don't know what is. Maybe the image above?

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
I love this idea for a character. Dixie kong looks like a drag queen diddy. And King K rool is , well I hope he gets in.

Braydon

Smash Ace
On the other hand, we must ask ourselves, do we really want something quite so hideous in smash bros?

But seriously, I don't really think we need more donkey kong reps. It seems better to add character that make for good fighters not just add something because a series doesn't have many reps.

Also your specials you listed are a lot like diddy as well...

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
On the other hand, we must ask ourselves, do we really want something quite so hideous in smash bros?

But seriously, I don't really think we need more donkey kong reps. It seems better to add character that make for good fighters not just add something because a series doesn't have many reps.

Also your specials you listed are a lot like diddy as well...

"it seems that better to add character that make for good fighters"
-sakurai adds villager, and pacman

"I don't think we need more donkey kong reps"
-donkey kong is the 4th largest franchise (monetarily) of nintendo. Mario has 9 reps, yes donkey kong needs another.

"also your specials you listed are a lot like diddy as well..."
-whuuuut???? hoooowww?

seaking4steel

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1054-6409-7409
"it seems that better to add character that make for good fighters"
-sakurai adds villager, and pacman

"I don't think we need more donkey kong reps"
-donkey kong is the 4th largest franchise (monetarily) of nintendo. Mario has 9 reps, yes donkey kong needs another.

"also your specials you listed are a lot like diddy as well..."
-whuuuut???? hoooowww?
Well I just noticed the moveset does look similar to Diddy's, but anyways here's the mechanics behind Lanky's moves
Grape Shooter is slightly weaker than the peanut popcorn, think a buffed up Snake's tranquilizer from PM that can be charged a little at the cost of the sleep effect.
The OrangSprint would be essential for horizontal recovery, but leaves you helpless if used in the air. Think Wario's shoulder bash from PM but longer and faster.
Baboon Balloon is completely original. Lanky would inflate himself (insert DK rap quote here.) and start to rise. HE can't attack and the move does no damage, but would have vertical recovery on par with Villager. Another problem is that the move would make Lanky vulnerable to attacks due to how slow HE moves during the Baboon Balloon, but HE can end the move by pressing up special again, similar to Dedede. However, unlike Dedede, who is forced helpless after this, Lanky would exhale all the air which in turn would lift him up.
Like I said earlier, Barrel Throw is sort of a placeholder move, but if it got in, it would in NO WAY be similar to Diddy's bananas. Holding Down B would let Lanky hold the barrel at the cost of jump height and speed. Letting go Down B releases the barrel. Also, unlike Diddy's Bananas, you guys would have a hard time picking those up, (unless you're Villager) as they're constantly rolling. The barrels once released would go in the direction Lanky is facing. Anyways sorry to cause confusion with the moveset I hope this clears things up about Lanky not being a Diddy clone.

Last edited:

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
Well I just noticed the moveset does look similar to Diddy's, but anyways here's the mechanics behind Lanky's moves
Grape Shooter is slightly weaker than the peanut popcorn, think a buffed up Snake's tranquilizer from PM that can be charged a little at the cost of the sleep effect.
The OrangSprint would be essential for horizontal recovery, but leaves you helpless if used in the air. Think Wario's shoulder bash from PM but longer and faster.
Baboon Balloon is completely original. Lanky would inflate himself (insert DK rap quote here.) and start to rise. HE can't attack and the move does no damage, but would have vertical recovery on par with Villager. Another problem is that the move would make Lanky vulnerable to attacks due to how slow HE moves during the Baboon Balloon, but HE can end the move by pressing up special again, similar to Dedede. However, unlike Dedede, who is forced helpless after this, Lanky would exhale all the air which in turn would lift him up.
Like I said earlier, Barrel Throw is sort of a placeholder move, but if it got in, it would in NO WAY be similar to Diddy's bananas. Holding Down B would let Lanky hold the barrel at the cost of jump height and speed. Letting go Down B releases the barrel. Also, unlike Diddy's Bananas, you guys would have a hard time picking those up, (unless you're Villager) as they're constantly rolling. The barrels once released would go in the direction Lanky is facing. Anyways sorry to cause confusion with the moveset I hope this clears things up about Lanky not being a Diddy clone.
He can handstand when he needs to and stretch his arms out just for you. Inflate himself just like a balloon.

seaking4steel

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1054-6409-7409
It's nice to see more people hop on the Lanky Kong train. We must plan an invasion of the voting ballot. HE deserves a spot more than that Diddy clone!

seaking4steel

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1054-6409-7409
Sorry for the time off. I was in the Kongo Jungle. It would be great to resurrect an old DK Crew member. HE was last in DK Barrel Blast, that crappy Mario Kart clone involving button mashing. I believe that putting Lanky Kong in Smash will help bring him back to the DK series, as well as make Smash more interesting than those Diddy Kong Dittos everyone ends up with currently.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
Sorry for the time off. I was in the Kongo Jungle. It would be great to resurrect an old DK Crew member. HE was last in DK Barrel Blast, that crappy Mario Kart clone involving button mashing. I believe that putting Lanky Kong in Smash will help bring him back to the DK series, as well as make Smash more interesting than those Diddy Kong Dittos everyone ends up with currently.
I know that we're getting K.rool for sure , he tops the ballot.so at least DK is getting another character. I'm happy about that.

seaking4steel

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1054-6409-7409
Yeah basically King K Rool is coming back from all the polls I've seen. I still want Lanky Kong to get in. HE has the qualities of a Smash fighter. (No style, no grace, funny face) but in all seriousness despite really only have one real game he's in, and countless cameos and sports games, Lanky could be a contender.

TripSwitch

Smash Rookie
I basically had the same thoughts for his moveset but the Grape Shooter, I would change it so that if you hold down B he charges up the grape and at the end he spits it out at high speeds and also if you continuously press B he fires 3 grapes in a row. As for his recovery I'd only change one thing and that is to have the option of ending it early. If you were to press B while in use of his recovery Lanky could exhale the air and send himself in the opposite direction.

Last edited:

seaking4steel

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1054-6409-7409
I basically had the same thoughts for his moveset but the Grape Shooter, I would change it so that if you hold down B he charges up the grape and at the end he spits it out at high speeds and also if you continuously press B he fires 3 grapes in a row. As for his recovery I'd only change one thing and that is to have the option of ending it early. If you were to press B while in use of his recovery Lanky could exhale the air and send himself in the opposite direction.
Yes I like your mechanics for the grape shooter, and the baboon balloon I would change to be a damaging version of villagers balloon trip

Sakuraichu

Smash Journeyman
Yeah basically King K Rool is coming back from all the polls I've seen. I still want Lanky Kong to get in. HE has the qualities of a Smash fighter. (No style, no grace, funny face) but in all seriousness despite really only have one real game he's in, and countless cameos and sports games, Lanky could be a contender.
Until 4chan attack the ballot.

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
Lanky Kong should get into smash. He'd already come with a really useful AT to learn:

Rosheo

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0962-9756-6710
LET EM KNOW MY PEOPLE WE NEED TO VOTE THE GOD OF ALL KONGS INTO SMASH 4!

AlRex

Smash Lord
Aside from being a meme, HE'd actually be a very interesting character to play as. Not "need him more than K. Rool" interesting, but I'd pick him over most other Kongs at least (aside from Jr. or Cranky).

slambros

Smash Ace
Lanky Kong would certainly be unique. I'm currently pulling for Dixie, but I won't complain with K. Rool or Cranky or Lanky or Funky or any of the other Donkey Kong characters.

Last edited:

PST23

Smash Rookie
Neutral Special: Lanky charges up his grapeshooter, adding range and damage. It's low-knockback but helps with spacing for his long range melee attacks. Has a slight homing effect if fully charged.

Down Special
: Lanky ground pounds with his arms, and he runs really quickly in Orangstand for a few seconds, knocking enemies away. Once again it helps people stay away from close range.

Up Special
: Lanky inflates like a balloon (just for you). It goes high vertically, and pressing the button again makes him deflate and you control his quick horizontal movement during it. Easy to punish, but a great recovery in both ways.

Side Special
: Lanky throws an orange grenade. It doesn't go very far, but its high knockback growth makes it a good finisher.

Lanky has a variety of long-range melee attacks that involve his stretchy arms that can go in multiple directions for his moves. They don't do much damage, though, so Lanky needs to consistently keep people off him with melee moves and rack up damage to use a finisher. He's slow on the ground, but has a fast walking speed and can jump high. His recovery options are limited in variety but very effective. He's middle-light so staying away from damage is a must. Overall, he's a light and floaty character with great melee range and good options to keep people off him.

That's how I envision him, at least.

Top Bottom