• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Landing the Up+B Knockback

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
THanks man seriously i always lose it and i get so confused about where it goes... is there like a certain time frame in which it happens or is it through all the animation

King Kong

Smash Lord
just on a side note i wobble with the IC's :chuckle:

God that was like rehab
That has got to be the lamest technique ever.

Im glad that in Australia we still play for fun mostly. We dont have the "OMG I must win so i will use a move that takes an entire stock from a single grab and makes the game not even fun to play anymore" mentality.

peace out

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Playing for fun? Thats what friendlies are for.

Tournaments are for people who want to win. Besides, seeing how good you can possibly be is its own kind of fun.

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
Wobbling has nothing to do with being good. Anyone who spends a couple hours can learn to wooble. It takes no skill. It's like the people that mod and hack games to win. It doesn't make you better than the other person. In reality it gives the assumption that you are not good enough to win without it.

But let's not make this into a wobbling thread. We can go to the IC forum for that. Here at DK we're above such nonsense. :)

Australia = Awesome though. Sometimes I wish I lived there.

Anyway... U-b after a b-air? Is it a shielded b-air because wouldn't it knock them away if you hit them? Because if you can hit with both I want to learn how to do this.

I love when people stand on platforms above me and I just u-b them through the platform.

El HP

Smash Ace
You can try when your opponent percentage is low so the knockback of the b-air doesn't send him/her out of your reach works better against heavier characters.

James Sparrow

Smash Master
Wobbling has nothing to do with being good. Anyone who spends a couple hours can learn to wooble. It takes no skill.
K, lets see you spend a couple hours learning to wobble, then get a grab on pc chris.

BTW, I came up with some techs with up b that work sometimes. It usually involves grounded up b-ing someone with the front elbow hitbox, edgecanceling the up b, and then droping and up b-ing them again with the strong backwards hitbox. other people should fool around with that, it's pretty hawt when it works.

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
K, lets see you spend a couple hours learning to wobble, then get a grab on pc chris.
Umm... Are you kidding me? Grabs are so easy to come by it's stupid. I've played top level players and have grabbed them with DK. A lot. Grabs are pretty easy to come by especially when that's what you're constantly looking to do and you have the IC's mobility.

And beating PC isn't the point. 1 grab = instant stock is dumb. But again, this isn't the place to discuss wobbling.

And, DK's throws are the best. Cargo to u-b FTW.

King Kong

Smash Lord
Playing for fun? Thats what friendlies are for.

Tournaments are for people who want to win. Besides, seeing how good you can possibly be is its own kind of fun.
Meh, the wobbles will be banned in time. Just like in any competitive sport when someone finds a new loophole to give them an unfair advantage.

peace out

technomancer

Smash Champion
Edit: no more talk of that thing that they do with the two kids in the parkas

How bout that Up-B kids?

Sintenal

Ostin
BRoomer
i said no talk of wobbling

you will get a warning if you do, this is the DK forums not the ICs forum/Melee Discussion/Melee Backroom

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Someone correct me if I'm wrong (because I picked up DK about 2 weeks ago), but isn't the up-b pretty situational? The only truly reliable set-up that I'm seeing is cargo u-throw -> up-b, or u-throw -> up-b, both of which have to be at relatively low %s so that the sweetspot is guaranteed. And in those situations, don't you get more utility out of standard cargo u-throw -> headbutt/grab combos?

I mean. . .at higher %s, DI makes jumping + up-b (and landing the sweetspot) unreliable. And the only other time when the move can be properly utilised is if the opponent is rubbing up against DK's behind, which doesn't seem to happen often since you want to range with f-tilt/d-tilt/b-air.

I'm not saying the move is bad. . .it's just that, personally, I don't find many reliable situations where I can take clear advantage of the up-b sweetspot. Is there something I'm missing?

King Kong

Smash Lord
Someone correct me if I'm wrong (because I picked up DK about 2 weeks ago), but isn't the up-b pretty situational? The only truly reliable set-up that I'm seeing is cargo u-throw -> up-b, or u-throw -> up-b, both of which have to be at relatively low %s so that the sweetspot is guaranteed. And in those situations, don't you get more utility out of standard cargo u-throw -> headbutt/grab combos?

I mean. . .at higher %s, DI makes jumping + up-b (and landing the sweetspot) unreliable. And the only other time when the move can be properly utilised is if the opponent is rubbing up against DK's behind, which doesn't seem to happen often since you want to range with f-tilt/d-tilt/b-air.

I'm not saying the move is bad. . .it's just that, personally, I don't find many reliable situations where I can take clear advantage of the up-b sweetspot. Is there something I'm missing?
In a 4 stock match I reckon I land between 4 and 10 Up-B sweetspots but it depends on which character you're playing against and on which stage.

The most basic way to land the Up-B is to land an aerial (usually a B-air or N-air) into your opponents shield. When they go for the shield grab you can Up-B and hit them with the sweetspot before they can grab you. Its possibly the best thing DK has going for him.

If you can read your opponents aerial approach on you then you can use the Up-B to smack them out of it, it goes through pretty much anything.

I use it to punish side-dodges and tech chases when possible. Its usually unexpected and people dont DI it.

And of course there's the old trick of running straight into your opponent and hitting them with it (thanks for that one AOB :)).

peace out

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
Works great on people who like to come in above you to avoid getting baired.
That's how I usually get them. Sometimes I pretend that I'm Bowser and move over to the ledge and cancel the lag. I gotta be real close to the ledge though but I find myself always doing that

halfDemon

Smash Lord
Funny story:
Today, while I was playing my friend's Bowser with DK, another one of my friends, acquaintance actually, was ratting on DK saying how he has one of the worst Up+Bs in the game. I then got frustrated and said he obviously knows quite little about characters other than Sheik (his poor main). He then states that he knows plenty and isn't ignorant as I say he is. I find this ironic as he says this after admitting he knows nothing about DK and just randomly saying the move sucks without no support. Then, he says it has no uses, so I list off about a zound of uses while performing them in the match. Later he states that it's obvious the move is bad since I never use it, even though one out of every three moves is the Spinning Kong in my current playstyle against DK. *sigh* My friend and I had a good laugh about it later. Ignorance is bliss.

James Sparrow

Smash Master
LOL I had a friend that said that about his f-air, so I started spamming it and beat him killing him all 4 times with it. (he was sheik too)

Mouf_From_Da_Souf

Smash Journeyman
If BUM can't beat it, BUM can't beat it. It's a competitive game: use whatever you can to win.

Comboing into the Up+B is hard; I can only really think of UThrow to Up+B. It's more of a surprise attack.
okay if theyre at low enough % to even get hit by this garbage why are u using up b anyway?

okay guyz herez tha real answer: u cant combo into up b. okay well lemme rephrase that, u can combo into up b but thatd be pretty ******** since it only workz at low %'s and at low %'s up b = useless

anytime u could combo into up b u should prolly combo into upsmash instead. up b aint a combo finisher

bair sum1's shield and l cancel into up b immediatly, if itz a tall character and they try to shield grab u ull hit them wit tha sweet spot...if theyre any character and they try to jump outta their shield then ull hit em wit tha sweet spot

if u notice that u try to wavedash outta shield and grab, only to get ur grab spotdodge and *****, wavedash outta shield and up b instead. no it wont hit em wit tha sweetspot but it rackz up damage and makez them hold their shield when they see u wd outta ur shield, and if theyre holding their sheild guess wut u can do? GRAB LOLZ

if sum1'z recovering and ur on tha ledge u can edgegaurd wit tha sweet spot of up b of course...

^REAL UP B USEZ^

Mouf_From_Da_Souf

Smash Journeyman
Funny story:
Today, while I was playing my friend's Bowser with DK, another one of my friends, acquaintance actually, was ratting on DK saying how he has one of the worst Up+Bs in the game. I then got frustrated and said he obviously knows quite little about characters other than Sheik (his poor main). He then states that he knows plenty and isn't ignorant as I say he is. I find this ironic as he says this after admitting he knows nothing about DK and just randomly saying the move sucks without no support. Then, he says it has no uses, so I list off about a zound of uses while performing them in the match. Later he states that it's obvious the move is bad since I never use it, even though one out of every three moves is the Spinning Kong in my current playstyle against DK. *sigh* My friend and I had a good laugh about it later. Ignorance is bliss.
wow u sound like sum cool guyz!!!

King Kong

Smash Lord
okay if theyre at low enough % to even get hit by this garbage why are u using up b anyway?

okay guyz herez tha real answer: u cant combo into up b. okay well lemme rephrase that, u can combo into up b but thatd be pretty ******** since it only workz at low %'s and at low %'s up b = useless

anytime u could combo into up b u should prolly combo into upsmash instead. up b aint a combo finisher

^REAL UP B USEZ^
I use it to finish combos all the time. Most often on FD to finish off grab/U-air combos when you dont have the punch charged. At around 80%ish a cargo to upthrow will set up fox or falco (sometimes falcon) for the sweetspot, it usually dosnt kill but it sets up for an edgeguard.

And sometimes its good for finishing off simple, fast combos like U-throw, U-air, Up-B for like 30%.

So its useful against the fastfallers but yeah, it dont work on anyone else.

Unless of course, your doing offstage combos, like B-air, B-air offstage , follow DI, Up-B for the kill (love this one).

peace out

Mouf_From_Da_Souf

Smash Journeyman
I use it to finish combos all the time. Most often on FD to finish off grab/U-air combos when you dont have the punch charged. At around 80%ish a cargo to upthrow will set up fox or falco (sometimes falcon) for the sweetspot, it usually dosnt kill but it sets up for an edgeguard.

And sometimes its good for finishing off simple, fast combos like U-throw, U-air, Up-B for like 30%.

So its useful against the fastfallers but yeah, it dont work on anyone else.

Unless of course, your doing offstage combos, like B-air, B-air offstage , follow DI, Up-B for the kill (love this one).

peace out
okay if ur using up b to finish comboz on FD then u either

1) used up b in tha air instead of using fair (since u said u dont have ur punch charged) which = gross

or

2) ended ur combo way too early

i mean cmon itz FD, why are we trying to end our comboz wit up-b? thatz not wut up b is used for

alright i agree ya this is tha only situation i can see where ending a combo wit up b is a good thing

Mouf_From_Da_Souf

Smash Journeyman
i forgot one actually

dash attack > up b is pretty good becuz itll actually hit em at high enough % to **** em up slightly

this is usually when i mess up a pivot and accidently do dash attack and it actually hitz, becuz dash attack is disgusting

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
I found something not mentioned here with good ol' action replay
DK's arms are invincible during an arial Up+B

James Sparrow

Smash Master
And his entire body is invul during the start of the grounded up b. The arms being invincible during aerial up b is what makes it a great edge guarding tool. Eats through other char's recovery.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
the way I see it, there's no set move you can say: "after (whatever move) do the up+b!" it is very situational, and the multiple hits it can give would qualify the spinning kong as being a combo in itself. I don't use it as much as I should, but I do love overriding everyone's recovery with it. :)

HXY56

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone have some tips for doing this technique on Foxes, because I can't seem to do it that well against them?

King Kong

Smash Lord
Does anyone have some tips for doing this technique on Foxes, because I can't seem to do it that well against them?
You have to be right up close to fox. The only time I find you can do it is when you shuffled a B-air directly into his shield, pretty much being right on top of him.

Otherwise, you could try tech chasing him with it (hard), or do it out of shield if he misses a shine cancel.

And of course, at 80%ish u-throw him and you can follow his DI and smack him with the up-b.

peace out

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
About losing the charge, yes it's throughout the whole animation, from the beginning frames, to the frames where you lag at the end
Also the arial UpB, you would lose your charge if you're hit until right when you grab your head with dizzyness

Sorry I didn't post this earlier, some exciting s*** is goin down on smashbros.com recently

Mars-

Smash Champion
I don't know if this has been mentions but, if the platforms on fountain of dreams go low enough you can hit them when you stand below them.

Top Bottom