• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

L or R?

finalcloud13

Smash Apprentice
Hi, do you guys find yourselves using L or R to shield/WD/etc.? And why is it called L-Cancel? Can it not be done with R?

I find myself using only L, because I'm used to it from SSB64...

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Hi, do you guys find yourselves using L or R to shield/WD/etc.? And why is it called L-Cancel? Can it not be done with R?

Well its called L-Cancel because it stands for "lag cancel." There is a sticky somewhere with all of the terms defined. It can be done with both.

Just remember that it's handy to wavedash with one and shield with the other, so you can wavedash out of your shield. :D

Tonyman

Smash Journeyman
I saw a thread abit ago were people put what they used to WD, shield, tech and jump, look that up and you'll find a huge variety of styles, is not like if we all do with R or L I, myself jump with Y, WD with YLm shield with R and tech with L, dont know why, its just natural, and as stated above L-cancel means lag cancel, the land lag of a finished aerial attack(A button attacks, not B)

Jar'd

Smash Ace
I use L for wavedashing and shielding, but I find myself switching between the two for L-canceling.

Egret

Smash Journeyman
I use R for everything (teching, sheild, wd, airdodge) except L for l-Canceling because I can't train myself to do the tech timing and the l-cancel timing with the same finger.

Mike87

Smash Ace
I use R for alot of things, mostly because I'm right handed.
Its just more comfortable for me that way

Jammer

Smash Lord
I use L for lag canceling and teching, and, very rarely, shielding. R for everything else.

I'm left-handed, by the way.

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
I use L for everything but dash canceled grabs which I use Z for. It's more comfortable because I don't have to have a finger on R and Z at the the same time. I'm right handed.

battousai555

Smash Ace
I use R for alot of things, mostly because I'm right handed.
Its just more comfortable for me that way
Same here.

Just remember that it's handy to wavedash with one and shield with the other, so you can wavedash out of your shield. :D
I can wavedash out of lightshield using R alone. I know that shielding and lightshielding are different, but it's still technically wavedashing out of shield.

MrHazuki

Smash Ace
My WDs won't get very far if I use L, most recognaiseable to the left. That's why I've changed and made R my WD and WL button. Everything else L.

NFR

Smash Rookie

i use R to shield WD and i use L to l-cancel O,o

everyone else uses R to do all 3, but i dunno, im used to l-canceling with L *shrug*

it makes it easier on my cuz im a fox, so if i shffl with a d-air, i would l cancel and use R to shield + grab, makes it easier on me.

_SSnakeKen

Smash Cadet
use the L button because your right hand is all ready focused on the main buttons. if you adept to l you all ready have your index resting on that trigger it will improve you WD response time also making it more coordinated because of the control stick in relation to your left hand on L

Top Bottom