• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

L-Canceling - Proof that it was intentional? NOT A DEBATE!

CaitSith

Smash Rookie
Sorry to intrude. Once answered feel free to lock, also my sincerest apologies if this is in the wrong area.

The title says it all, it is not much cause of concern if this isn't answered. But I faintly remember a member mentioning that L-Canceling was explained in the booklet that came with the game. And if not, is there any online proof? This was the first time I had heard it was intentional, so naturally I'm curious.

Remember this is NOT a debate, insightful posts or evidence please. If not I will assume there is no hardcore evidence.

No need to argue, lets keep this simple.

Adi

Smash Lord
Well I think the fact that in the change from SSB -> SSBM they changed L-cancelling so that it only reduced half the lag is confirmation enough that they were aware of it's existence and just modified it to suit their purposes.

CaitSith

Smash Rookie
Thank you Adi, I just attmepted a search to see if this has been discussed. It has been discussed a long long time ago. I'm satisfied that it was indeed kept on purpose. But has Nintendo or the booklet ever mention it's existance? Any confirmation ever posted via offical source?

gnuf

Smash Apprentice
the booklet didnt have any L-cancel info. i have version 0-00.

CaitSith

Smash Rookie
Many thanks Gnuf. With that answered time to lock this down.

And time for me to leave these boards until Brawl is released where I live.

Thank you very much for the help. Happy Smashing!

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
I feel like I remember there being a mention of Z-cancelling on the old SSB website, under like an advanced tips and tricks section. I distinctly remember being previously aware of (but poor at implementing) this type of phenomenon when it first surfaced in Melee.

Card

Smash Lord
I feel like I remember there being a mention of Z-cancelling on the old SSB website, under like an advanced tips and tricks section. I distinctly remember being previously aware of (but poor at implementing) this type of phenomenon when it first surfaced in Melee.
This was found by MookieRah on Brawl Central. So I can't take credit for it. :laugh:

http://web.archive.org/web/19991117180837/http://smashbros.com/moves_advattacklanding.html
***notice: the website takes a while to load, keep refreshing, it's there***

This was on the official smash bros website.
=========================================================
Moves: Advanced
Smooth Landing

After performing a Mid-Air Attack, each character has a special landing pose. Even though the attack may have been successful, your character can become vulnerable while recovering from the landing. If you push the Z Button just before you hit the ground after a Mid-Air Attack, you'll land normally and immediately be ready for action.

=========================================================

So to answer your question, was L-canceling intentional..? The answer would be a big fat YES.

5@/\/\U5

Smash Apprentice
anyone think sakurai might update the "techniques" part in how to play with advancecd tech for the game? I mean, he did say that he would leave the site up to be a sort of guide for the game. So apart from displaying hidden characters/stages/game modes and how to unlock them, he might have a few more technique updates . . .

DalzK

Smash Apprentice
Game makers arnt as stupid as you think about the competitive enviroment, they are infact VERY aware of it. Its just that its really the casual players (the LARGE majority of players/buyers) that get them the money. Basically in their eyes its:
Do what casual players want = more money
Sad isnt it :(

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
SHFFL is an entirely legit technique. Each acronym being a legit function in the title.

Short Hop is just a sensitivity thing. Nothing more, nothing less. They can't remove that without desensitizing the analog stick, which I would assume is impossible as the analog functions with that gimmick. Hell, I can short hop on any other game besides Melee, and that should tell you something.

Fast Fall is the same thing; sensitivity function, only it functions different in the sense that it is not so much sensitivity as it is timing it just right so that the character fast falls. I heard word however that fast fall is no longer manual, and that is triggered automatically. I have no idea how they pulled THAT off.....

and L canceling is just interrupting an action within another. It is the only button that functions during an attack animation, and if it were any other button, say, Y, then it would be called Y canceling because the function remains consistent.

In short, L canceling is a very legit action, as all it is doing is simply imputing an action within another. :bee:

Afro_Ninja

Smash Apprentice
why would anyone think it was un-intentional? L cancelling is a specific move with a specific button assignment. A programmer had to go in, set a window, and give that window an effect when the right button was pushed.

Wavedashing is simply a consequence of dodging into the ground. It takes two pre-programmed concepts and combines them to produce a result.

Balloon

Smash Lord
You can't L-cancel two of Game and Watch's moves.

Proof it was intentional.

Top Bottom