• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kumite in Tennessee - Nashville, TN - Jul 12, 08

Vandy

Smash Cadet
That's right, revival of the KiT series of tournaments!

This tournament will be taking place Saturday, July 12, so set aside time on your calendars.

Venue:
Quality Inn (Vanderbilt Meeting Room)
981 Murfreesboro Rd
Nashville TN, 37217
615-367-9150

Room rate is $55 per night for those interested.

Venue Fee: NONE
Date: Saturday, July 12, 2008
Time: Signups start at 11:00 AM

Smash Doubles start at 12 PM
Smash Singles start right after doubles (no later than 2PM)

Games:
Tekken 5: DR (PS3)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl 1v1 (Wii)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl 2v2
Tekken Tag Tournament (PS2)
GGXX:AC (PS2)
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike (PS2)

Entry fee is $10 per game. The 2v2 tournament is $10 per player ($20 per team).

The pot will be split 70/20/10.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Rules

Please read through these rules carefully! All players are responsible for knowing and understanding these rules before playing any matches.

Doubles and Singles tournaments will be run as a standard double elimination tournament bracket. Each match will be the best 2 out of 3 games until the winner's final, loser's final, and grand final, which will all be best 3 out of 5 games.

Each game will be a timed survival battle, 3 stock 6 minutes with all items off. If time runs out, the player with the most stock remaining will be the winner. If each player has the same stock, the player with the lower percentage will be declared the winner. In the event of a percentage tie, the game will go into Sudden Death to decide the winner. Players are highly encouraged to have a friend or judge to watch a match to keep an eye on percentages.

Doubles Specific Rules: Team Attack ON and Life Stealing is allowed. In the event that time runs out with all players still alive and a tie in stock, the team with the lowest combined percentage will be the winner.

Before a match begins, each player or team has the right to ban one stage from the list of neutral or counterpick stages for the duration of the match. Player-banned stages must be declared before the first game is played. If you do not speak up before the first game, you cannot decide to later ban a stage. Under no circumstances can a player-banned stage be used, even if the player who banned it later wants to use it as a counterpick stage.

The stage for Game 1 will be selected at random from the list of neutral stages. If a stage appears that has been banned by a player, the match will be restarted in the same manner until a non-banned stage is selected. The winner of a match must keep the same character. The loser of a match has the option of either changing character or selecting a counterpick stage, but not both. Using a neutral stage as a counterpick stage is allowed. If the loser of a match changes character, the stage will be selected at random in the same manner as Game 1.

No counterpick stage may be used twice in a best of 3 or best of 5 Series unless agreed upon by both players. Neutral stages can be used any number of times as long as they appear from the random stage selector. You may not use a neutral stage as a counterpick if you have already played on it.

Neutral/Random Stages (5)
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

Counterpick Stages (6)
Pokemon Stadium 1
Luigi's Mansion
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Halberd
Brinstar

All other stages banned

Please note: If you suspect someone has broken the rules do not wait for your tournament match has started or ended to bring it up! Immediately go to a tournament official if you think your opponent is breaking a rule or if you are confused. It is highly unlikely you will be allowed to repeat a match after it has finished barring something drastically wrong (like items were turned on). Understanding the rules for stage and character selection is entirely the responsibility of each individual player.

So come one, come all, get ready for a great tournament! Tennessee is home to many great players who have traveled around, so please come out and support!

Links to other announcement threads if interested. I post as WoTmanX on other forums.
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=155330
http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=107204
http://dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4445

Jimbo_G

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0920-1016-4491
Sounds great, but I REALLY don't like the idea of being forced to use Gamecube controllers for the Brawl tournament... -___-

JMOAN

Smash Apprentice
Well, seeing as how I go to Vandy and live very near Nashville, I'm sure I'll make it.

3stock 4min seems a little too short for time. Brawl matches can DEFINITELY last longer.

Vandy

Smash Cadet
Well, seeing as how I go to Vandy and live very near Nashville, I'm sure I'll make it.

3stock 4min seems a little too short for time. Brawl matches can DEFINITELY last longer.

O, thanks for pointing that out - I copied the rules from another tournament. It is going to be 3 stock, 6 minutes for both singles and doubles. The rules are also negotiable since I'm fairly new to running a Smash tournament and I'm getting used to the tournamnet standards.

Get all your Vandy friends to come out and play, I know there are a lot of players there. Hopefully not everyone will go home for the summer. I graduated from Vandy last May, so I still know some people there.

Jimbo_G

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0920-1016-4491
What controller do you prefer to use?
The Controller I prefer to use is the Nun-Chuck Combo. That's what 90% of other tournaments use as default and that's what I've gotten used to. I can live with a Gamecube controller if I have to, but I'm fully capable of bringing my own Wiimote for my own uses if it would be allowed instead of using a Gamecube controller. I'll be happy to allow you guys to inspect it to ensure there's no tampering or button-mapping with it.

Vandy

Smash Cadet
The Controller I prefer to use is the Nun-Chuck Combo. That's what 90% of other tournaments use as default and that's what I've gotten used to. I can live with a Gamecube controller if I have to, but I'm fully capable of bringing my own Wiimote for my own uses if it would be allowed instead of using a Gamecube controller. I'll be happy to allow you guys to inspect it to ensure there's no tampering or button-mapping with it.
I'll look into a solution as far as what the tournament standard is. The tournaments I have heard of using wiimote are the gamestop tournaments, which I believe deviate from community standards. The issue that seems to come up is interference from wiimotes on other machines, something that can happen since there will likely be several tvs sitting side by side simultaneously running tournament matches.

I don't want to exclude anyone, especially since there will probably be a set of gamers that are used to the wiimote/nunchuck. I might put it at strongly discouraged but allowed. I'll try to get some input on the matter.

Also, changed all entry fees to a flat $10. The previous structure didn't allow for addition of other games, which already has happened.

Vandy

Smash Cadet
Cool, I will see you guys there.

I changed the rules from 6 minutes to 8 minutes, I didn't feel like 6 minutes would be enough. Hopefully this won't cause the tournament to run for too long. If anyone could help out with bringing TVs or Wiis that would be very helpful for efficiently completing the tournament.

Also, Soul Calibur 4 won't be out by then so it has been dropped. Soul Calibur 3 will likely be added as a replacement.

CodEZ

Smash Cadet
Hi all, Ian and I attended the smash tourney at Christian Bros and we will be updating our rules for this tourney. If you have any suggestions let us know!

Also, please post (and have your friends post) if you are most likely coming so we can get an accurate feel for the amount of people. We don't want to be way off on our TV distribution for the game

Vandy

Smash Cadet
Good games to everyone in Memphis this past weekend at inevitable. Hope to see you all make it out to Nashville.

Milln

Smash Champion
Hmm... ... July 12th.... Nashville.... I'll try very hard to make it for Brawl and i'll not to suck at Guilty Gear, too. =3

Noak1

Smash Rookie
Hey, My friend and I will most likely attend. Mainly Smash Bros but I might brush up on Soul Caliber :)

Vandy

Smash Cadet
Hey, My friend and I will most likely attend. Mainly Smash Bros but I might brush up on Soul Caliber :)
Great, where will you be coming from?

Unfortunately, Soul Calibur 4 will not be out by the time of this this tournament, and there are no plans to have a previous version.

Noak1

Smash Rookie
Is Soul Caliber 3 going to be in tournament or not? I've read that it might and might not be.

Nashville Area.

Also, with a multitap, is it possible to play Tekken Tag as a team? (willing to play as a team against single opponents if they don't care, since each of us would control 1 character at a time and the other person would have 2 characters at his disposal.)

CodEZ

Smash Cadet
Soul Calibur will definately not be at this tournament.

Regarding TTT, yes a multi-tap allows you to play true "teams" but from what I remember it had a slight learning curve on the character selection (not too much). It would not be an official tourney eligible configuration, but I'm sure people would get down during casuals.

industry

Smash Cadet
Where is the Organization XIII members at!!!!!!?
What about the Runaway 7 Guys!!! Ya'll gonna make me start up the hype machine so we all need to make this. The TN-Scene is to hot for this to not be a huge competition...

Dark Iori, Chad and Roxas for the wins

Industry is about to get back online....HYPE TIME!!!

Milln

Smash Champion
But I wanted to win. D= More people = more fun, but also = more people for me to fight. I'm torn between the two! I know i'm gonna suck at Guilty Gear, though. >,>

Handorin

Smash Hero
I'll just bring this to the attention of the memphis area. mmmmk?

Milln

Smash Champion
We need more people to beat me at Guilty Gear so I can growl with frustration. XD

I do have a question. Are matches being recorded?

Roxas Org XIII

Smash Apprentice
ehh me and vexen and a few of our crew are gonna try to come... but we are only like 16 so talking to the parents might be pretty hard lol... going five hours away for smash but im gonna try!!

Handorin

Smash Hero
ehh me and vexen and a few of our crew are gonna try to come... but we are only like 16 so talking to the parents might be pretty hard lol... going five hours away for smash but im gonna try!!
I went 6-7 hours (to GA) at that age. No Johnsssssssss.

Then again...my dad did drive me and the area.... still, No Johnsssssss

Vandy

Smash Cadet
I've updated the rules to what I plan to be the final version. If you have an objections please speak up now! We will have printouts of the rules at the tourney, but it doesn't hurt to get familiar with them now so there are no surprises.

Handorin

Smash Hero
3 stock 7-8 min is generally the standard.

Any banned stages (player banned on either side or tournament banned) should be allowed if agreed on by both parties.
Like, if I need to CP, but I banned BF but changed my mind, I can ask if we can go there if it is ok with the opponent OR we want to go to... Hyrule or something.

Vandy

Smash Cadet
The time may change to 7 minutes, but the stage selection rules I'm inclined to keep. I don't think they are drasticly different from the tournament standard, and from what I see of listed tournaments on smashboards, there is no one absolute tournament standard. If I'm erring, I'm erring on the side of more restrictive, which I think is much better than erring on the side of less restrictive.

Milln

Smash Champion
There will be a lot of matches recorded, but certainly not every single one.
Coolies. =3 I'm going to bring a flash drive, can I have some of them copied to it?

Also, is there any pre-registration or any afterparties? =O

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
you should have Battle Hunters at this tournament. I would totally own everyone at that.

ps i must learn to **** JMOAN's Olimar

Top Bottom