• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KOS-MOS Returning to Battle: DLC Season 2.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
For a Soul Calibur rep, I'd love to have Cassandra ! But her and Sophitia are sword users which I don't think would be recieved very well x)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
For Soul Calibur? My most wanted would be Yoshimitsu. But Nightmare would come 2nd. Nightmare I think has the most realistic chance of getting in since he is pretty much the mascot of the franchise and is like on every cover for every Soul Calibur game.

Last edited:

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
Seriously. I gave her a pretty fair rating and I was absolutely in the minority over there. Why do I get the feeling that, if we do get KOS-MOS, it will be Byleth all over again?
A theoretical KOS-MOS inclusion wouldn't be as harshly received as Byleth's. A stigma of un-wanted attention surrounds Kosy for some reason, but I guarantee she wouldn't be as hated as Byleth.

The reason Byleth is so hated is because she's from Fire Emblem and a swordie (whom many tend to dread due to the sheer number present), and in a hypocritical position given how Sakurai included Three Houses content which released far later than XC2 (whom Sakurai claimed was too new to be considered and instead received a Mii Costume for content compensation). Some would also consider Byleth's inclusion a missed opportunity to include Edelgard (a solo female and villain rep).

As for my thoughts, I'm uncertain as to why KOS-MOS attracts so much negative attention from outsiders, but after conversing with many of them on GameFAQS and YouTube comment sections; their ignorance seems to derive from hardly knowing anything about Xenosaga. Most of them have never played the game (it's fairly rare, expensive, and not very well-known) which probably discourages their view and results in disinterest. Then again, we also have to remember that most of the Smash Community is very toxic in general.

If Kosy does happen to be among the characters in the season 2 pass, she will definitely turn heads, and perhaps accumulate enough attention for Namco to develop remasters of the trilogy and reboot the series.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
So nothing changed since the last time I played that game in the smash 4 days. No care in the world for posters that just drive by post and don't do their research. I'm not going to be rating her on here again because all people do is post nonsense until their favourites are rated the next day. Besides, the RTC thread is not a accurate gauge of interest because it is incredibly biased. So why exactly should I care?

Baalikindred

Smash Cadet
I think it's funny watching people rate a character's chances to get into smash bros. I mean, yeah, from a logical standpoint a lot of the most wanted characters make sense to be in. But this is Sakurai we're talking about. I think it should be obvious that he chooses who he wants in the game, and is mostly utterly unpredictable in a handful of his choices. Yeah, he does go for characters people want, like banjo and k. rool. But would anyone have guessed Terry without the leak? No one really predicted Byleth either. It's clear from the dislikes on their reveal trailer that a significant portion of people didn't like the character. The tounge-in-cheek style of the trailer also implies that Sakurai knew that they wouldn't be extremely popular, yet he did it anyways because he wanted to. People take speculation too seriously, and get far too upset and biased around certain characters. They act superior to others when people reveal those biases or when a character they want get in the game. Or they act like you're a horrible person for having those biases when all either party is doing is arguing about video game characters. I mean, really? For me, speculation is a game around a game. It's fun to try and see patterns and guess, but people take those guesses as absolutes when they aren't, and ultimately take everything too seriously, making the game no fun. I find speculation as a whole to be funny. I can't seperate my bias for Kos-mos in my thoughts when considering her chances, because the Xeno series is one of my favorite series. But no-one else can utterly sepereate themselves from bias either, and attempting to ascribe chance to characters is inherently foolish because none of it is coming from the mind of the person who actually decides the characters. I suppose I've also gotten annoyed and make the game unfun now, but i just felt like sharing my thoughts on the speculation scene as a whole. So what are Kos-Mos' chances? Same as everyone else, in my opinion. Which realistically is a chance in a decimal place. Legacy, iconography, and whether the series is alive doesn't matter. All that really matters is if Sakurai wants to add the character, and if he is given the chance to.

Natlo

Smash Cadet
Personally, Byleth was somewhat expected. I assumed we were going to get someone from three houses, it was just a bit of a surprise that they closed out the pass with them (and I was expecting Byleth to use their students themselves rather than their students weapond.).

As for prediction. It has something of an appeal, but my prefered speculation is how a character might be represented in Smash. Like our discussions about stages and spirits and combat styles.

Baalikindred

Smash Cadet
Actually, I almost disagree with myself on the whole legacy and iconography sentence. I think it is important factor for selection. However, it's only a factor in the mind of the person who is selecting the character. A person not one being on this boards knows personally, who grew up in an entirely different culture, and who we cannot really guess their own internal bias. It's possible he dosen't add a character because that character doesn't resonate with him, and it can be any character in existence, even extremely popular ones. 2B is a popular character from a widely acclaimed game (one even sakurai likes), but what if he doesn't like the character? would he still add her? probably not. Not that i'm saying he doesn't, it's likely he does like 2B. I'm mostly speaking from experience. I didn't really like nier:automata and 2B, even through it was really popular. I guess what i'm saying here is that we're imposing our own bias on Sakurai, even though Sakurai is his own unique being. The only people who could guess who he would add is people very close to him.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Hey for what it's worth, Kosmos isn't a character I have much personal attachment to, but she's one that I think holds a lot of cool potential and I'd like to get to know better. Out of what we can generally consider to be the feasible Namco characters, Kosmos definitely peaks my interest more than the competition. There's nobody like her in Smash right now, and who could turn down giant guns and explosions?

I see a lot of people saying she's not quite at the level that would be suited for the second character from Namco. You have Heihachi who's from one of the most acclaimed fighting game franchises out there, Lloyd who's in supposedly the biggest JRPG franchise not yet in Smash... outclassing Kosmos herself, but the point I'm trying to get at is who really cares? At this point I'm beyond trying to reason with who's the most important, most relevant etc because for all I know Sakurai is throwing those statistics out the window and pointing at the robot anime girl with the cool guns and saying "thats the one".

So yeah I've been thinking about her a lot the past few days. I'm more of a passive supporter right now but Kosmos is fascinating to me for sure.

Troykv

Smash Master
Seriously. I gave her a pretty fair rating and I was absolutely in the minority over there. Why do I get the feeling that, if we do get KOS-MOS, it will be Byleth all over again?
I personally think she would be received like Bayonetta, some people already knew of her, because of the some popular youtubers, but people wouldn't care that much beyond some implications (like in Bayonetta's case she being pretty much inside a Trojan Horse, because the real deal arrived until Ultimate; in KOS-MOS's case she would be seen as the death of Tekken's and other franchises' chances).

Also the whole having a "sexy design" would make the comparison even more accuarate.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
On the small chance that Sakurai had a bunch of PS2 games on his PS3, it's possible he lost a bunch of content from the PS2 library as well, which could include Xenosaga as one of the many games. Although... I'm not sure if the games were ever playable on the system. I'm assuming that's what scapegoat was trying to get at, and if so, they should have been clearer about the comment.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
On the small chance that Sakurai had a bunch of PS2 games on his PS3, it's possible he lost a bunch of content from the PS2 library as well, which could include Xenosaga as one of the many games. Although... I'm not sure if the games were ever playable on the system. I'm assuming that's what scapegoat was trying to get at, and if so, they should have been clearer about the comment.
If he had a launch model PS3, that one is capable of playing PS2 games from the disc. The slim ones, and certain GB fat ones, don’t. I have a slim. Iirc also the Xenosaga games were never made available digitally on PSN

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Anyone here ever watched Smash Kingdom before?

KOS-MOS appears in the latest episode as a sticker on Sandbag I believe. Porky appears to be a big KOS-MOS fanboy but quickly ditches her for 2B instead lol! It's ironic because both Porky and KOS-MOS are both characters I really want to see in Smash. It was cool to see them together in some form even if KOS-MOS was just a sticker on Sandbag and Porky was a creepy fanboy lol!

Last edited:

Super Bario

Smash Cadet

KOS-MOS appears in the latest episode as a sticker on Sandbag I believe. Porky appears to be a big KOS-MOS fanboy but quickly ditches her for 2B instead lol! It's ironic because both Porky and KOS-MOS are both characters I really want to see in Smash. It was cool to see them together in some form even if KOS-MOS was just a sticker on Sandbag and Porky was a creepy fanboy lol!
Ah, I see that Porky is one of those fans that jumped on the bandwagon only when the “leaks” were supporting KOS-MOS.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

This video is actually a diss toward KOS-MOS and the fandom. I wouldn't give it any attention considering the nature of the content.

Super Bario

Smash Cadet
This video is actually a diss toward KOS-MOS and the fandom. I wouldn't give it any attention considering the nature of the content.
I kind of got the same feeling myself. I know it doesn’t represent everyone but must KOS-MOS fans here seem pretty realistic about her changes of getting in, that being not great but Sakurai’s unpredictability may help her in the long run. (Not to point fingers) but if anything you’d think he would use Dante since everyone was on cloud nine before the Byleth reveal.

Last edited:

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Following the past pattern for who is based on who, I would expect a lot more someone like Kos-Mos to be based on Bayonetta than Geno ( who would make more sense with the likes of Mii Gunner or MegaMan ) for it heavily took into account the base character's body features as well.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Following the past pattern for who is based on who, I would expect a lot more someone like Kos-Mos to be based on Bayonetta than Geno ( who would make more sense with the likes of Mii Gunner or MegaMan ) for it heavily took into account the base character's body features as well.
Bayonetta also wields TWO guns, not one. Someone like Elma might be better suited if this is true

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
Something big might've come up in KOS-MOS' favor. View attachment 260684
Fighter #6 is based on Bayonetta, much like how Zero Suit Samus served as a base for Bayonetta.
https://twitter.com/CaptainZack_/status/1222607603458547715

Gunner characters like KOS-MOS and Geno could potentially fit this description.
It’d be funny if KOS-MOS used Bayo as a base since the KOS-MOS mod done by Demonslayerx8 was done over Zero Suit Samus, who was Bayo’s base.

But yeah, this probably doesn’t mean much.

D

Deleted member

It’d be funny if KOS-MOS used Bayo as a base since the KOS-MOS mod done by Demonslayerx8 was done over Zero Suit Samus, who was Bayo’s base.

But yeah, this probably doesn’t mean much.
I'd say the same as well.

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
Something big might've come up in KOS-MOS' favor. View attachment 260684
Fighter #6 is based on Bayonetta, much like how Zero Suit Samus served as a base for Bayonetta.
https://twitter.com/CaptainZack_/status/1222607603458547715

Gunner characters like KOS-MOS and Geno could potentially fit this description.
Very interesting indeed.

Though, I'm uncertain how much this could mean for Kosy. It's very possible that they would base her from Bayonetta considering the duel wielding and what not, but other potential characters could be Dante (who also wields two guns and is more closely linked with Bayo) or Morrigan (who shares a similar aesthetic to Bayo and uses bats for protection).

It could also be someone else entirely different, but as Dinah said, it's just too early to tell right now.

Bulk Slash

Smash Rookie
Pretty interesting for sure. Weirdly enough, I feel like Joker would work way better as a base for Dante opposed to Bayo. You can control his guns more freely in the air and he has disjointed attacks with his knife a la Dante's sword. Plus, his meter mechanic to summon Arsene could be used as a "base" for a Devil Trigger gauge. As for appearances, the psuedo-cloth physics on Joker's default costume could work nicely for Dante's jacket as well.

Anyways, are there any clear values or giveaways to conclusively prove which character(s) are used as a base through datamining? I remember the Hero thing mentioned in the post with the metal sound. Is Duck Hunt being a base for Banjo just a theory since it a). makes sense and b). the existence of the corrupted save file glitch? Anything more to it besides that?

As for the Belmonts, I don't recall the visual glitch with their f-smash in 6.0.0. I'm assuming it was a thing but I just don't remember it. Anyone able to provide an example of it happening? I can definitely see the Byleth-Belmont connection with their n-airs, jab, and poor aerial and ground speed. For Byleth's up-b though, that screams Joker's grappling hook more than any of the Belmont whip attacks.

Back to Joker one last time: There was a model codenamed "Jane" that was referenced with Joker (his codename was "Jack"). "Jane" had a ponytail, so at the time it felt like there was a possibility Kasumi from P5R was going to be included as an alt costume. Looking back at it now, it's possible they were playing around with something for Terry hence the ponytail.

Last edited:

the unholy Grail

Smash Apprentice
Interesting. But like Dinah said, it's too early for season 2 leaks/theories. But in terms of who this could be tied to, my picks are Dante and Elma/KOS-MOS. I don't think it's Geno. his proportions are nothing like bayonetta. Someone like Megaman or mii gunner would make more sense for his base.

Also, this isn't smash related, but Zippo has recently leaked not one but TWO Nintendo directs for February. I'd keep my eyes on him if you want to study his track record.

Last edited:

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
Top Bottom