• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kong Family History

NometheGnome

Smash Rookie
So, I was a little confused about the Kong family history today. This past week I was watching all of the snake taunts and saw that the ORIGINAL DK is this DK's(in melee/brawl) Grandfather. I learned that in some of the newer games that he goes by the alias of Cranky Kong.

Cranky Kong had a kid that went by the name of simply just JR. JR was featured in very few games and stared in just one. Only thing stated about JR was that Diddy Kong was supposed to be a updated version of this ape.

Further down the line comes DK(Melee/Brawl) and his buddy Diddy, who is like his kid who wants to grow up to be big and strong like him. We all know about DK and Diddy's games throughout gameboy, SNES, Virtual Boy, N64, and the DS.

So you guys are cought up to the Kong family tree, and I was curious what happens to JR. They never directly say he is DK(Melee/Brawl)'s dad. If he is, which is what I expect. What happened to him, and why does he not cameo in any of the DK games as an adult or elder since JR's dad (the original DK from NES/Arcade AKA Cranky Kong) does?

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
its confusing, is the dk jr in mario kart (snes) the same dk? or not? i've often pondered that question

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
I don’t really understand the whole “grandfather” interpretation.

As far as most fans are concerned, arcade DK is the Cranky Kong of the present, and arcade DK Jr is the friendlier DK we see now — his appearance in Super Mario Kart was the last time he used his childhood name.

Unfortunately, the Wikipedia article subscribes to what Nintendo is currently “officially” (kinda) endorsing, that there has only ever been one DK (much like the Mêlée trophy descriptions) … which is untrue.

It’s more than a little confusing, huh …

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
If I remember rightly the first game that mentioned DK being DK JR and Cranky being DK was Donkey Kong Country which was made by Rare, of which some people say isn't canon, but others disagree.

Personally I like the idea that Cranky is DK arcade and that DK is DK JR.

Break

Smash Apprentice
Listen to Snake's Codec Conversation about Donkey Kong, they confirm that Cranky is the original, barrel chucking DK.

Top Bottom