• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Knights of Kirbydom

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Pink.
Yellow.
Red.

In a land far away from Smashboardia, there is a secret hall, a hidden meeting place, where warriors of Kirbydom sit and discuss matters of a general nature.

Through carrier fowl, on horseback, via whispers of the wind, and various other methods of transfering, matters of attention are brought to the warriors for discussion. No aspect of the great land of Smashboardia is left untouched; though, matters of highest priority are those that directly affect Kirbydom.

But when there's a league, there's a league within the league.

Three Kirbies, no different than the others, have found a common bond: The sharing of knowledge. Knowledge, honed over a long time. Knowledge, gathered from fighting hi-level peers. Knowledge, proven and tested.

Now, reading the previous thought, you may believe that they feel superior, or infallible. You couldn't be more wrong. The three Kirbies show that what ideas they share, have substance and a blanket accuracy over all statements but they're not absolute. Take what you will from the tales that are inscribed in this area.

Pink Kirby: Sage JoWii
Red Kirby: Sage Kap LOL
Yellow Kirby: Sage RRR

Deep thought and discussion. What follows will come to be known as Roundtable Discussion of the Kirby Sages. Extra warriors can be expected to cameo so expect interesting posts in the future.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
2/23-24/11- Extra Warrior: TKO

kapLOL: I need mix-ups for Kirby.
JoWii: Empty SH?
TKO: In-game mix-ups? Use BAir alot, and when it starts getting shielded, then use BreverseInhale.; it's easy to land on someone who is sitting in his shield. Also, emptySH>grab. Also I found that if I get a DTilt trip, I just walk forward instead of running forward.
JoWii: What does that accomplish?
TKO: More options. If you dash forward, you can't FSmash. If you walk forward: 1)they'll roll behind you - fsmash them; 2)stand up - grab; 3)attack- shieldgrab; 4) roll away - dash forward for USmash, if at kill percent, or grab.
JoWii: The same can be accomplished through dashing at them, well, all except the FSmash, but you can pivot grab instead when they roll behind.
KapLOL: At high percents, the walk forward is better, but before that either would accomplish the same things. Also, Jab>DTilt is awesome LOL.
TKO: Jab>runBehind on big characters could be a mix-up? Not really a useful one, but funny to see.
RRR: Mix-ups?!!!!! FHBAir onShield, and if they continue to shield, then fall with reverseInhale. If they see it coming, it can be punished but look at it this way: If you know your opponent is going to shield, an inhale will eat them while a BAir can be punished. Risk vs reward.
JoWii: Kap, what mixups do you use right now?
KapLOL: Well... none, really. LOL. I'm just really good at reading AD's, SD's, and general habits and use those and my spacing to win. I'm not a very flashy Kirby.
RRR: Yeah, my mix-ups are lacking too.
JoWii: My mix-ups are very limited as well. I rock slants on Yoshi's Island (main platform and edges), on PS1 (any slants, notably the structure on the rock transformation, top platform on the right), on Lylat edges, etc., etc.. Also, sometimes I'll dashDance, walk away 2-3 steps, before dashing in and shieldgrabbing (faster than dash grab, plus less cooldown). I too love jab>Dtilt.
KapLOL: I use Jab>DTilt, but that's my only mix-up :(
RRR: I LOVE jab>DTilt.
KapLOL: But I improve quickly, so tomorrow I'm gonna sit down in Training Mode, see what Kirby can do on SV and BF, then test it out against CPU's, and then against the Brawl Kids at my school, and I'll report back what I found out!
JoWii: It's like Kap is just another version of me, in a different state, with slightly less swag.
KapLOL: BTW, when do you guys think rolling with Kirby is good? Because I don't roll. LOL
RRR: i used to roll alot, but then I stopped doing it 'cause I was getting ***** for it. Now, I sprinkle aggrssive rolls in a little and they work again. Though, if you want to stop rolling, I find the best way is to wait for your opponent to roll, 'cause if you're concentrated on waiting for them to roll, you won't roll.
KapLOL: I guess I should just use it when I know something laggy is coming.
JoWii: I try not to roll, but if I do, it's because of a laggy attack. Also, as a mix-up, try dash>rollBehind. You can grab from there or try and read for a punish. If you use it sparingly, it's alright; but if you're bad at the game, it'll be read as bad player habit. Risk vs reward.
KapLOL: Yeah, I gotta work on my roll punishes.
RRR: I've been working on punishing peoples' spotdodges too, but I'm still somewhat bad at that.
KapLOL: So, mix-ups, knowing when to roll, and roll punishes... that's what I need to improve on right now. Making a mental note and checking all of these off within the next two weeks! I'm really good at SD's and AD's, but that's about it. LOL
RRR: I get so excited midmatch, I don't wait for SDs to use usmash or something stupid for punishing.
KapLOL: Try punishing with Dsmash or Fsmash.
RRR: Yeah, those last long enough to punish SDs.
JoWii: I sometimes just spotdodge with them? As long as it isn't Diddy or someone with a great SD, you can SD w/ them and it's like they null each other out.
KapLOL: And they'll probs spotdodge again, thinking you'll grab, because you're Kirby.
JoWii: Mhm; it's case-by-case. If I feel they'll spotdodge again, I wait for it to end and punish. If not, maybe I jab>DTilt.

2/24/11

KapLOL: And I have mix-ups!
JoWii: Alright, the inner circle of Kirbydom is here. I actually played Kirby today and worked in some of the mix-ups you guys referenced to yesterday. Some transfered easily to MK but obviously I couldn't BAir to reverse inhale.
KapLOL: I actually did Bair(oS) -> Reverse Inhale, and it was awesome; (oS) means onShield, it hit shield. You can hit them with a FHBair>BreverseInhale. Good against characters who you want to Inhale or put in a bad position with Spit Out. I did FHBair>aerialHammer in different ways, not to mention FHDair>grab/jab/reverseDTilt/UTilt or EmptySH>jab/grab/reverseDTilt/UTilt. I did FHBair>reverseDTilt/jab. There were lots of little things I played around with! The best two were FHBair(oS)>reverseInhale and emptySH>reverseDTilt, and by best, I mean I hit my opponents a good number of times. LOL. Unfortunately, SHBair gives you, like, no mix-up options. It's just a SHBair. I think there's maybe some options after SHBair, like maybe a reverse Dtilt/Jab/etc... but FH has much more potential. And finally, I was playing around with BreverseAerialHammer right after running off the edge. I think it can work against some characters because you literally have no horizontal momentum right after you drop off a ledge, leading to some interesting aerialHammer movement. Once I integrate some of these mix-ups into my gameplay, I'll hopefully grow to become unpredictable all the time. LOL.
RRR: So I was thinking about the gonzo combo, and on how most people try to SDI outta it.
JoWii: FTilt....
RRR: Well I'm assuming if you don't finish the combo, they SDI out, but if they don't have tap jump on [or tapping jump], then the UAir follow-up won't hit.
JoWii: FTilt....
RRR: Will they just fall back to the ground [if they don't jump away w/ SDI] for another grab?JoWii: Nah, they'll jump or AD. Mix-ups w/ the grab combo are the best ways to get hard reads. Depending on my opponent's DI/characterWeight, I'll choose to interrupt, or transform the combo. It they SDI well, FThrow>UAir>angledUpFTilt or DThrow>UTilt. If they SDI decently, I'll FThrow>aerial hammer or FThrow>risingFAirx2. If they don't SDI well, or at all, I'll complete the gonzo combo (or against MK regardless of SDI).
RRR: so you guys know you can SDI the hits of a jab lock, well I noticed a tricky thing you can do lol. I've actually been able to SDI towards them and pop on the other side, which messes up their jab locks.
JoWii: I wish you could do that on Lucas DTilt locks -__-
RRR: Can you not SDI the lock?
KapLOL: You can SDI it, but not to the other side of him. LOL
JoWii: DAir>DTiltLock>Fsmash. If you SDI far enough, Lucas won't risk another DTilt; you'll just eat a FSmash.
KapLOL: Really, no Usmash? It's so much more powerful. LOL
JoWii: DTilt locks racks damage well. FSmash is usually enough to finish without risking anything. Btw, the worst thing abt Lucas is his aerial mobility. It's annoying. That, and his pivot grab. Basically, if you're approaching Lucas, he'll be running back and throwing PKFires or pivotGrabbing, so instead, approach with your jumps. If you see Lucas pop up into the air with you, just drop down and continue to approach.
KapLOL: He's one of those 'Easy once you learn it' MU's, IMO. Like Yoshi/Ike/Low Tiers.
JoWii: Mhm
RRR: agreed
JoWii Andrews: Lol, Yoshi and Ike both get wrecked by crouch, grabs, and DTilt. Also, idk if you know, crouch also wrecks Marth. A well spaced crouch can help avoid FAir/FSmash/NAir.
KapLOL: As long as you keep good spacing and don't be too aggro, Marth falls. It's so easy to gimp him. LOL
JoWii: Mhm, I like playing him on FD, or YI.
RRR: How do you gimp a marth?
JoWii: I go aggro with my jumps, spacing them and waiting for him to move, and react accordingly. If I don't wanna leave the stage, I'll wait right on the ledge, and DTilt his jumps or try to DSmash his UpB; shield if there's any sign of danger. If you're above stage level, you can be a little more agrressive.
KapLOL: You can also space Uair at a diagonal level below him and he won't be able to spike you, and at the same time if he uses Fair your Uair will already be out and hit him before Fair has a chance to hit you. If he's below the stage, be liberal about Bair. If you're not comfortable, do what JoWii said when edge-guarding him on-stage while he's recovering.

Top Bottom