• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's Non-Corner Dash Pivot Discussion

C.O.M.M

Smash Cadet
For those who may not remember when this was showcased: http://smashboards.com/threads/new-smash-4-movement-option-corner-dash-pivot-slide.385870/

The specific part I wish to talk about is not the actual corner dash itself, but how Kirby is able to use this technique without needing the edge to get extra movement. The idea is to perform a dash dance quickly, as Kirby turns the second time, you quickly d-smash. If you do this right then Kirby will continue to move in the inputted direction while performing his Down Smash, giving him a little more distance and reach. It's vital you get the timing down as it effects how far Kirby will move, too early will perform a non-moving or barely moving down-smash while too late will make Kirby dash attack.

I'm by no means a pro so my view will probably not apply to the meta-game, but I have found this ability to be useful in counter-attacking an opponent chasing me down, just a quick spin and down-smash sends Kirby sprawling into your approaching foe and sends them airborne for some major punishment, I also found it viable as an approach option but it's much harder to do because timing an offensive non-corner dash pivot against a defensive opponent means your timing much be perfect, you must dash the right distance, not too short or long and tap d-smash at the right time to get maximum distance. I've found less success in this regard, as my foe can usually just shield, dodge or simply jump over Kirby. The technique may also fall short of the opponent as well, so timing and measurement is critical!

I've just begun to really experiment with this technique in FG (I know, I know.) and I'm finding new ways to apply this technique more and more in specific events during battle or if there are other strategies and applications for this move. (like edge-guarding for instance)

All opinions and views are welcomed!

Edit 01: General clean-up edit.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
It seems pretty punishable if you do it with Dsmash, but it can also be done with Jab, Uptilt, and Downtilt you know. Sliding Dtilt is actually pretty good as an approach.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
It should also be mentioned that Speed Kirby travels half the stage with this.

C.O.M.M

Smash Cadet
It seems pretty punishable if you do it with Dsmash, but it can also be done with Jab, Uptilt, and Downtilt you know. Sliding Dtilt is actually pretty good as an approach.
That's awesome to know! I'm going to fit those in my usual training routine tonight. The idea of a non-corner pivot jab excites me somewhat >: D

It should also be mentioned that Speed Kirby travels half the stage with this.
Hell yes! I played a Shulk last night and tried it, The amount of distance I got was insane! Could be insanely useful if applied with the other options mentioned by Asdioh above.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Could someone confirm for me that this is indeed the same thing it was in Brawl (using the momentum of a Skid to carry over into a [ground] attack). Using it at the 'corner' of the stage is a new thing, though, similar to that instant-turn from a Run in Melee.

The video was confusing enough, reading the thread made it worse. When I talked it over with other smashers it seemed to be the old Brawl skidding attacks. Is there anything about this that I'm missing?

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
Do we know if the distance traveled is the same as with pivoting? Kirby's Perfect Pivoted Up Tilt gave him crazy sliding distance. Given that this looks easier than Perfect Pivoting (correct me if I'm wrong), this might be huge for Up Tilt juggles.

C.O.M.M

Smash Cadet
Apparently you can also shield while doing this, Tried it out tonight and found it to be effective in approaching via mix-up

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
pardon my inexperience, but how exactly do you do this technique without a ledge?
From what I saw in the video, it looks like you dash dance and then during the turn around, you do whatever attack with the same timing that you would when doing it with a ledge. Haven't tried it out myself so I can't say that's for certain, but that's what it looked like in the video.

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
From what I saw in the video, it looks like you dash dance and then during the turn around, you do whatever attack with the same timing that you would when doing it with a ledge. Haven't tried it out myself so I can't say that's for certain, but that's what it looked like in the video.
thanks, I'll have to do some training. This appears to be a very useful technique

Imber

Smash Cadet
You actually don't have to dash dance at all. You just input the move during Kirby's first step after the turnaround animation. The dash dance allows you to do it without having to run too far in the opposite direction so it is quicker and a little less predictable. It's not necessary every time though, especially since it can be a little tough to pull off consistently (at least for me).

Top Bottom