• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's Brawl Evolution

TheFast

Smash Lord
So I lost my Wii and had my gamecube and played around with Kirby in melee. My first words word "Wow he sucks". The more I looked at it the more I was like..... "Wait his moves are not that different". Yes he has some changes. But they are all little changes. So why is he so much better in Brawl. How did Kirby make the transfermation of Melee "I Suck" Teir to Brawl "I Can Win a Tourney" Teir with relativly little changes.

Did just giving him a different physic engine really change him that much?

Also tell me stuff that has change and Ill add it.

Changes I noticed:

- Dash Attack
- Forward and Back Throw
- Quicker Aerial Speed (Slightly)
- Kirby is Slightly Bigger in Brawl
- Hammer
- Up-B is quicker in Brawl

pkblaze

Smash Apprentice
actually, i think he's not that balanced. his recovery is great, his areals are great, and his ground attacks are great. also, F-smash(his main killer) is fairly easy to land. or my friends just suck at brawl.

TheFast

Smash Lord
Its not the easiest move to land. His aerials rivial Yoshis and they often clash so to say Kirby's recovery is good but there are many people with better recovery. I think if you made a list kirby would be high middle recovery wise. His recovery is a little above adverage.

bobson

Smash Lord
I think Jigglypuff's ground ability is more of a monthness than a weeknesss.

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
When you take cute and manly and mix them together you would be left left with a Kirby. A relativly quick character, decent Range paired with a small body box, good kill range, good combobility, and a Down Taunt that makes Captain Falcon cry.

My point of this thread is the bring up the fact that I think Kirby is relatively one of the more all around "All-Around" characters in Brawl. Maybe the most "All-Around". He is bad in nothing and not exceeding well in anything. He lies relativly in the middle with everything.

Facts to Back Up:

1) Good recovery, Up-B isnt the best but his jumps make up for it. Each jump doing a little less than the last
2) Good Kill range. However his best kill moves are rather tricky to pull off.
3) Overall Kirby's ground and aerial game both are great but both have their flaws. All around they all have Adverage Speed, Range, Damage, and Combobillity. Every Move is almost always usiable he doesnt have a "Sing".
Ground) All are quick moves little to almost no lag. But also low damages.
Aerial) All have good ranges and multiple uses. However Kirbys feet can be out ranged and out matched by a number of characters.
4)His Range is adverage. This alows for good space, even if required to sometimes move in a little closer.
5) His speed is also adverage. You notice his aerial speed is almost the same as his ground speed.
6) His specails are adverage. They all have their uses even though they are limited. They are not like Snake and Falcos specials. But they are not like Captain Falcons specials.

All around I think Kirby is an "All-Around" Character. I think that is why I love playing him so much. Please tell me what you think of this.

Characters Strengths and weekness's to compair to Kirby's character disign:

Sonic, Strength:Speed Weekness: Strength
Gannon, Strength:Strength Weekness: Speed
Jigglypuff, Strength: Aerail Ability Weekness: Ground Ability, Weight
Samus, Strength: Campy Abilities Weekness: Killing moves
You get the point. Kirbies strengths and weeknesses cannot be seperated in into those two categories.
So, If I can't compare a characters weakness with his strength, he is "all around"?

That's a pretty simple way to look at it. You need to take more things into consideration before Calling him "All around." A character that doesn't have a spam move is not All around. A character that Kill's with only 2 or 3 specific moves, with one of them being very tricky to land, is not all around.

A character that's "All around" is easy to pick up and play. Doesn't have that much to him but the basics of him.

You should specify on whom your comparing his combo ability/killing ability/recovery ability/spacing ability/ect. Kirby's not that High in the Tier, but he's not that Low. He's Tier C if I'm not mistaken.

Nice try though. I suggest you get more info next time. Good Concept, just malformed information.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Kirby is better than average... The most balanced character in the game, that is middle of mid tier is Ness, in my opinion.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I don't have much time to make this post atm, so I may return later with reasoning, but no, Kirby is by no means an 'all around' character. You want an all around character, try Pit.

Also, your comparison fails. Falcon has speed and power... does this make him better? Not at all. Samus under campy... lulz... I mean kind of, but yeah, it's Samus... You use Zair more than projectiles.

TheFast

Smash Lord
Kirby is better than average... The most balanced character in the game, that is middle of mid tier is Ness, in my opinion.
Recovery >_>

My defintion of all around was poorly decribed in my writing. What I mean by it was a Character than can do everything and not fail. Than I realized GaW has a DownSmash. So I realize I was wrong. So I am Changing the topic of this thread. Check the Orginal Post.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Changes I noticed:

- Dash Attack
- Forward and Back Throw
- Quicker Aerial Speed (Slightly)
- Kirby is Slightly Bigger

Kirby is slightly bigger in Brawl, right?

Well, his Dthrow now does damage on each individual kick.

His Fthrow and Bthrow were suicide throws, and could be escaped. Also, in Melee, you lose ALL your jumps when you do fthrow/bthrow/upthrow. If someone escapes them and hits you after you throw, and before you touch the ground, and knocks you offstage, you're screwed.

Kirby's pummel is much faster in Brawl.

Final Cutter was better in Melee as a projectile imo, try edgeguarding with it, it's pretty cool. However, Brawl FC is much better for recovery, and Kirby's much better at recovering in general because of better jumps/floatiness.

Kirbycide in Melee screwed the opponent over hardcore, and Kirby could usually survive it.

Hammer.

That's all I'll say for now...a topic like this is kinda pointless after 11 months :p

TheFast

Smash Lord
I forgot to say his Hammer and Up-b in the list adding.
and yes bigger in brawl. But what made him so much better?

pkblaze

Smash Apprentice
physics. brawl is floaty, and has less hit-stun. kirby doesn't exactly have to many combos he could use... in melee at least.

TheFast

Smash Lord
Yah I know but I think its a amazing the fact that the major difference in Kirby being good is a physic engine and not the character disign. I laugh at the fact the Kirby's Follow-ups in Brawl are better than his melee combos.

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
Again, T!MmY already beat you to the punch. He staged all his changes from Melee to brawl. Move wise and character wise and blah blah blah.

Kirby didn't get better because Sakurai removed the Rolling Fire Ball of Lag (although a very important factor), he improved mainly because the game mechanic changed in General. It's something pretty obvious. You noticed it the first time you played Melee after playing brawl (unless you suck balls and didn't notice a thing).

Instead of trying to salvage your pointless thread by turning it into an already discussed comparison thread on Kirby's transition from Melee to Brawl, you Should Have Let The Thread Die.

Champion_Link

Smash Cadet
I don't think its necessarily the changes kirby has made that make him better, but the changes in all the other characters and the game physics in general that do. Just look at the top tier characters in melee, they are all characters that either have, speed, range, or comboability, most of them have all 3. Brawl was about being faster (wavedashing l-canceling etc.) than your opponent and comboing them as much as possible before they can get a hit in. Brawl is more about timing, spacing, and out smarting your opponent, and kirby has great moves for doing those things. Most of his moves set up for other attacks, and he's awkward for his opponents to fight. Seeing as there are hardly any true combos in brawl, kirby is no longer screwed by his floatiness, it actually aids him now. That's all I could think of, I could be totally wrong seeing as I'm definitely no "pro" at either game, so don't assume I think I'm the kirby guru or anything.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
One other thing is Kirby's sweetspots aren't as ******** anymore. Side-B doesn't need to be tipped, F-Smash doesn't have such a small period for horizontal knockback, and U-Smash doesn't have a brief KO spot.

But yeah, it's mostly physics with fixing ******** properties.

Top Bottom