• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby will be Un-nerfed. You can see it. (A Video Analysis)

Jimtopia

Smash Apprentice
Referring to this video from about 0:36 to about 1:24; and again at 3:25 to 3:46, and once more from 4:11 all the way to 4:48.

The First Fight (0:36 - 1:24):

As I watch Kirby's movements, I notice that he seems slightly faster in this game. Now, in the first fight with Mario, Kirby does his rapid A attack, which, first of all looks as though it goes faster, and knocks your opponent slightly farther away then in the last game, the comp. didn't do it long enough to be able to tell if it had done more damage. In that same fight, Kirby also does his suck move, this seems slightly slower, but perhaps it takes more priority? Kirby also does his bubble shield in this fight, and rolls behind Mario, this also seems slightly faster than in the previous game. Another thing I noticed was that his Down B is much faster/stronger now, Mario jumps up to punch him, but Kirby transforms to fast for that, perhaps you're invincible when you're making that transformation in Brawl; because it looks as though, had he done that in Melee, he would have been stopped from transforming.

The Ship Run (3:25 to 3:46):

Not much to say about this, you can tell that Peach is faster than Kirby in this game again, due to the beginning. Kirby also seems to jump higher when he presses the jump button on a ledge, seeing as he jumped about double Peaches height.

Clouds and Boulders (4:11 to 4:48):

Well when Kirby starts jumping on clouds, his jumping seems to be faster, and farther than in the last game. It also looks much smoother, in Melee you kind of jumped in the air, in this one you just float along (if you know what I mean). A bit after he gets on the clouds, Kirby uses his Up B attack, and it seems noticeably faster, and possibly stronger, it's tough to tell; it is definitely faster though. Now, this last thing I saw is kind of hard to spot, but when Peach and him are fighting that hoard of little yellow creatures, Kirby gets knocked over, and rolls back up, but he doesn't roll very far at all, so I think that Kirby's roll length has been decreased.

Conclusion:

Just from that 1 minute and 46 seconds worth of video, I can tell that Kirby is better. He seems more agile, it looks as though he's a bit heavier than the last game, his moves are faster, and he just seems better all around. But then again, this is just an analysis, and only time will tell how much better he is.

-Jimtopia

Kirby Redux

Smash Journeyman
really looking forward to getting to play with the new kirby, his running A move looks awesome, and down B might actually be used if its faster and ur invincible! The new, what looks like adventure mode, seems almost like a very fast RPG with all those bosses, and I cant wait to try that out either.

sfox8

Smash Journeyman
Overall I think we can come to the conclusion that his moves have all gotten faster. In turn, it looks like the lag time has been significantly reduced. That was the main problem with Kirby in Melee. Just about all of his moves had such a horribly long lag time compared to just about every other character. It put him at a great disadvantage.

I really would like to see Kirby's down air (the twirling, stabbing kick attack) in Brawl. That used to be one of my favorite attacks in Smash 64. They ruined it in Melee. They tagged at least a second of lag time onto the beginning of it and now you can't even use it against a level 5 computer without getting shot into the air. I really hope they remove the lag from that move. If they return it to the way it was in the first game, I'll be very happy.

But yeah, it's still too early to say whether or not he'll be great but I think we can already tell that he's going to be MUCH better than he was in Melee, simply because of his updated speed, if nothing else.

On a side note: I also like how Kirby is taking one of the "main character" spots this time around (along with Mario, Link and Pikachu of course). But I'm glad Sakurai is giving Kirby the fame he deserves. And we as Kirby fans/users definitely deserve it after the way we got horribly screwed over in Melee (though it did allow me to discover the ICs. =D). Kirby = pure win

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
It's strange, but it appears that not only has Meta Knight "borrowed" a lot of Kirby's attacks, it seems that they've used Meta Knight as a guide to buffing Kirby. Take a look at both of their N-airs, for instance. In Melee, Kirby's N-air lacked obvious priority. Meta Knight's N-air felt like it had more reach and power, and seeing Kirby use his in the Sub-Space Emissary shows that he has about as much reach/power as Meta Knight.

Things are looking good for Kirby. :)

Banana_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Also, it may be just my eyes decieving me, but during the 4:11 to 4:48 part Kirby used his Final Cutter (Up B) close to an enemy and it seemed like he did two slashes in rapid succession before actually doing the Final Cutter move, much like in Kirby Superstar.

In any case, things are looking very very good for us Kirby mains. ^-^

Light09

Smash Cadet
From what I have seen in the videos it looks like kirby is un-nerfed this is great news! I main Kirby and always will.

retro gamer 6

Smash Journeyman
kirby definitely deserves a change to be improved. one thing though about his N B move, if he swallowed pit or metaknight, he would get the ability to glide as well. thats a change that the creator could put for kirby and i think it will make kirby better that way. these 2 are just examples, he could obtain a unique ability from every character he swallows. thats just my opinion, but i hope it happens. kirby is looking better in brawl. he rules!

Drake3

Smash Ace
He definitely looks much, much better. Is it just me or is Final Cutter faster/bigger?

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
Also, it may be just my eyes decieving me, but during the 4:11 to 4:48 part Kirby used his Final Cutter (Up B) close to an enemy and it seemed like he did two slashes in rapid succession before actually doing the Final Cutter move, much like in Kirby Superstar.

In any case, things are looking very very good for us Kirby mains. ^-^
yeah at 4:28 I saw it.

has one of kirbys moves been changed? it looks like Sheiks Down B or something Kirby style whough, is it Kirbys Down B now?
You mean where she turns back into zelda?

Jimtopia

Smash Apprentice
kirby definitely deserves a change to be improved. one thing though about his N B move, if he swallowed pit or metaknight, he would get the ability to glide as well. thats a change that the creator could put for kirby and i think it will make kirby better that way. these 2 are just examples, he could obtain a unique ability from every character he swallows. thats just my opinion, but i hope it happens. kirby is looking better in brawl. he rules!
That would be awesome. Kirby can already fly, and gliding would be like icing on the cake.

Chimchar!!!

Smash Cadet
yeah at 4:28 I saw it.

You mean where she turns back into zelda?

[sarcasm] OMG kirby can transform between kirby and zelda with his down b now OMG!!!111! [/sarcasm]

yeah lol I was a lil confused about what move he actually meant to refer to.

Florida

イーグランツ
I'm glad that Kirby seems to be a little better this time around. It really would've been helpful if he could've been playable in the E for All demo. Oh well though, we'll just have to wait a tad bit longer.

Also, as shown in the Subspace Emissary videos, Kirby's side special acts the same in the air as it does on the ground this time. That's hella cool; the most was nearly pointless in Melee when performed while airborne. (by the way, you can see this in the Petey Piranha fight video)

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad that Kirby seems to be a little better this time around. It really would've been helpful if he could've been playable in the E for All demo. Oh well though, we'll just have to wait a tad bit longer.

Also, as shown in the Subspace Emissary videos, Kirby's side special acts the same in the air as it does on the ground this time. That's hella cool; the most was nearly pointless in Melee when performed while airborne. (by the way, you can see this in the Petey Piranha fight video)
accually it was a great move to short jump with. one of his better air moves.
[sarcasm] OMG kirby can transform between kirby and zelda with his down b now OMG!!!111! [/sarcasm]

yeah lol I was a lil confused about what move he actually meant to refer to.
yeah i was sarcastic too, i was just pointing out that his comment made no sense.

Zek

Smash Ace
Hasn't anyone pointed out that Final Cutter drags the cloud enemy down with it at 4:20? Maybe it will bring characters to the floor and hit them with the wave again like in SSB64?

Baka_Shade

Smash Apprentice
Um...maybe I'm being oblivious, but where in that video are you guys seeing a new dash A?

Drake3

Smash Ace
The one where him and Peach are running around killing cloud monsters. He does a dash attack and spins around on his head.

Baka_Shade

Smash Apprentice
Ah, I was looking at the Petey Piranha fight video. I see it now.

Kind of a shame...I liked the fire dash. If it's a better move, I guess I can't argue, but still.

Jimtopia

Smash Apprentice
This thread needs to be at the top. The people must know my discoveries. ^_^

Ice Ninja

Smash Cadet
NNID
Iceninja77
In the video of Mario vs. Kirby, since its the SSE we don't know what difficulty it could have been on. There is a possibility that it might have been on easy, which could mean Kirby's attacks might have more power. Or I could be completely wrong and its just the normal difficulty.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I'm just wonering, how do you use the hammer in the air now? The spin in the air not the dash spin.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
You guys know why they changed the Final Cutter to drag opponents down, right?

It's because in Melee it's a meteor smash, which means you can cancel it with a Jump (or Up Special). When you hit someone as an attack on stage (not going for a spike), they can break the combo making it a pretty worthless move. If it drags people down with it before the Meteor Smash, it fixes this problem.

Top Bottom