• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby "Techinally underappreciated"

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
So I'll be honest. I'm a melee kid at heart and I love playing very technical characters. So originally I mained Mega Man in smash 4. But after experimenting a lot I found Kirby was the perfect fit. So the point of this thread is to spread and collect all the Kirby tech we can. I'll start by offering up two AT's I found well exploring low viewed YouTube Videos and browsing the boards.

Kirby AT #1: Jump Canceled rUp Smash. Or JCUS. This tech is possible on 3DS and Wii U, Basically to do it you when you do your turn around animation you're able to jump cancel at any point into a smash. So if you set your Left or Right trigger to Jump (you can still use your regular one for jumping) you can turn around and use Jump + Up smash doing a perfect Turn around Up smash allowing you to cover either side of you at the end of the dash. The timing isn't two strict and you can do it basically at any point after you turn around meaning you can really mix it up.

Kirby AT #2 Squeak smash or sliding down smash. Now well this is possible on 3DS its only really consistent on the N3DS and Wii U. Basically all you have to do is dash then turn around and you'll hear the sneaker squeak (this is why I call it the squaek smash) and if you push down on the C-Stick at the same time as you hear this sound you'll do a sliding down smash that can be charged. This obviously is a bit situational but its also incredibly useful as when mastered you can control the length of the slide, charged or not charged, when the move activates, etc. Good for a surprise edge guard and catching someone off a platform as a defensive punish and so much more.

If you have Anymore AT's to add please post them below.

Last edited:

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Nice, but shouldn't this be more of a character specific tech too? Also, nice drawing.

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
Nice, but shouldn't this be more of a character specific tech too? Also, nice drawing.
Well i figured I should include all tech that helps Kirby. I mean smash tech isnt exactly organized so without doing some digging you won't find it. Of course I'll add stuff such as the insta rock and maybe some customs AT.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Of course I'll add stuff such as the insta rock
:(

He doesn't know... be merciful and don't tell him...

You can do the reverse upsmash without changing contols, this has been a thing since brawl but i don't ever use it, I don't see it being useful for Kirby. I remember it being pretty useful for fox in brawl, but that's because he runs faster and the move came out a bit faster and was more deadly.

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
:(

He doesn't know... be merciful and don't tell him...

You can do the reverse upsmash without changing contols, this has been a thing since brawl but i don't ever use it, I don't see it being useful for Kirby. I remember it being pretty useful for fox in brawl, but that's because he runs faster and the move came out a bit faster and was more deadly.
Well i mean i never used my left trigger so i put it as a jump button because it made the tech easy. Though I agree it is a bit situational.... Also...what happened to insta rock?

Dessa

Smash Journeyman
The patch happened. I assume you're talking about the trick where you can instarock off the edge with the right timing? That's gone, yo.

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
The patch happened. I assume you're talking about the trick where you can instarock off the edge with the right timing? That's gone, yo.
Wow..that's unfortunate. I've hit the lab hard in melee recently grinding my Young Link til my hands hurt. I've only played Smash 4 a bit to try out Roy. The point of this post was to Hope fully amass some more Kirby tech.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
If you're looking for technical characters, Kirby really isn't the one. He's one of the easiest characters in the game to play. He's REALLY basic.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
He is good for a basic character though :)
But yea, you may wanna go for a more.....projectile like character maybe? or a speedy rush down like Captain Falcon

Dessa

Smash Journeyman
This must be why I like Kirby. I hate having to learn a bunch o' technical mumbo-jumbo. These aging wrists appreciate a little slack.

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
He is good for a basic character though :)
But yea, you may wanna go for a more.....projectile like character maybe? or a speedy rush down like Captain Falcon
Ya tbh that's what I figured. My Kirby has gotten pretty bad since I stopped with smash 4 a bit and I haven't really had the desire to I mean I was able to get top 4 out 30 people well just using my Doc.
This must be why I like Kirby. I hate having to learn a bunch o' technical mumbo-jumbo. These aging wrists appreciate a little slack.
Ya I get that. But for me AT just makes the game and your character better.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
The only ATs Kirby has in this game are either non-character specific (B-reversing, Perfect pivot, Jab cancel, sticky walking, item stuff, etc.), HUP cancelling (which is super easy to do and hardly considered an AT since its mainly used as a mindgame), and Copy Ability ATs. If you want to list all of those you can. Of course he has advanced tactics but thats a whole different category imo. (such as jumping copy into upper cutter or w/e, catching airdodges with rock, inhaling shields, how to pressure, etc.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom