• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby MU Tier List v. 1.2

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
We never use stone as a landing mixup tho, being able to zone us is dandy and all and I agree it's not +2, but Kirby doesn't lose. +1/0 imo.
While using stone is usually not very good, it sometimes catches gunner players off guard by beating out gunner's up air. With Kirby's buffs in killing power over the past few patches, I think the matchup is even.

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
If you feel that way, please explain why. Don't just leave a vague statement about what you think. It's counter-productive.
Puff is a bad character and can't approach. Marth has a sword which means he can do anything he wants because we're Kirby. Bayonetta is mad safe and gets confirms off stuff. Bowser bops Kirby utterly. I dunno about DK though. I assume he wins because of range and le ding dong.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Puff is a bad character and can't approach. Marth has a sword which means he can do anything he wants because we're Kirby. Bayonetta is mad safe and gets confirms off stuff. Bowser bops Kirby utterly. I dunno about DK though. I assume he wins because of range and le ding dong.
Puff: The only thing I can think of is that she has a superior air game and air mobility, allowing them to fly circles around us.
Marth: Gets combo'd somewhat easily, and we can duck some attacks.
Bayonetta: I.. have no idea. Never fought one.
Bowser: Pure and utter combo food. See here (I've linked it at the appropriate part):
DK: Combo food. However, DK does have tools (I think). I think I've heard some top Kirby players say the matchup is negative for Kirby. But I don't know that for certain.

Baffled Buffoon

Smash Rookie
DK has the Ding Dong combo which can kill Kirby as early as 60-70% even without rage. That is a big part in why it is a negative match up for Kirby.

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
Puff: The only thing I can think of is that she has a superior air game and air mobility, allowing them to fly circles around us.
Marth: Gets combo'd somewhat easily, and we can duck some attacks.
Bayonetta: I.. have no idea. Never fought one.
Bowser: Pure and utter combo food. See here (I've linked it at the appropriate part):
DK: Combo food. However, DK does have tools (I think). I think I've heard some top Kirby players say the matchup is negative for Kirby. But I don't know that for certain.
Well, cool, Kirby gets some combos when he wins neutral. Bowser does that much damage every time he gets a grab, too. That aside, how does Kirby win neutral? Kirby's ridiculously outranged, and Bowser is fast enough that he can stand at range for an unreactable dash grab and Kirby is still unable to punish jabs, pivot ftilts, and pivot grabs. And getting in via the air is a futile effort because Kirby air speed lol + Bowser has up tilt which is unpunishable with down air even on a read, though you could maybe punish with down B but even so that's a big commitment. We also can't get off the ledge or land because again, jabs, ftilts, and grabs body any movement attempts, heck even flames are wack. He has up B out of shield which kinda bodies everything we do if we even manage to reach his shield in the first place. If and when he grabs us at 80ish, we die. We can't kill him off grabs until like, 130 on the top platform of Dreamland, which is one of the best case scenarios. Though he shouldn't be getting grabbed all that much anyway.
Bowser wins.

Last edited:

Slayer Juan

Smash Rookie
NNID
SlayerJuan
Am I the only one that has trouble with good Shulks? Almost all his attack out range anything Kirby can do, and even though stealing his ability helps Kirby out amazingly, being able to do so against a good Shulk who's spacing properly, is very hard.

I also have trouble with good Mega Men, but I think I just need to get more use to the projectile spam. His uair cancels can get annoying when trying to move around in the air around him. I'm not sure why we're +1 against him though.

Baffled Buffoon

Smash Rookie
Honestly, Kirby probably does not have any +2 match ups with the possible exceptions of WFT or the Miis.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Kirby doesn't beat Greninja. His mobility is on a whole other level, and water shuriken keeps Kirby out consistently.

As long as the greninja doesn't rush in head first into his up tilts, he should win.

I also believe as of Patch 1.1.5. , Mewtwo is a -1 for Kirby too

:150:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Kirby doesn't beat Greninja. His mobility is on a whole other level, and water shuriken keeps Kirby out consistently.

As long as the greninja doesn't rush in head first into his up tilts, he should win.

Did you take into account when Kirby gets Water Shuriken? I admit, I'm not an expert (far from it, actually), but I think that, like many abilities, Kirby gets major mileage out of them. Prime example being Olimar. Kirby's matchup with him becomes exponentially easier once Kirby attains the ability. Of course, there is the matter of obtaining the ability, but I'm fairly certain there are true combos into Inhale, such as U-tilt to B-reversed Inhale.

As for Mewtwo, we do need to evaluate the new alterations based on that patch. Such as Sheik becoming easier (like for every character).

Although, like I said, I'm not an expert.

Baffled Buffoon

Smash Rookie

Yeah Kirby definitely does not beat greninja but it's probably closer to an even matchup with maybe a slight greninja advantage. Kirby can duck under water shuriken and can copy it which definitely helps in the matchup.

I would not say that mewtwo is necessarily -1 for kirby either. Mewtwo is a lot faster and more powerful then before but being a tall light weight still hurts pretty bad against a combo heavy character like kirby. Similar to greninja it's probably only a slight advantage for mewtwo not a -1.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Did you take into account when Kirby gets Water Shuriken? I admit, I'm not an expert (far from it, actually), but I think that, like many abilities, Kirby gets major mileage out of them. Prime example being Olimar. Kirby's matchup with him becomes exponentially easier once Kirby attains the ability. Of course, there is the matter of obtaining the ability, but I'm fairly certain there are true combos into Inhale, such as U-tilt to B-reversed Inhale.

As for Mewtwo, we do need to evaluate the new alterations based on that patch. Such as Sheik becoming easier (like for every character).

Although, like I said, I'm not an expert.
If the Greninja is laming Kirby out, it will be a while before he can get ahold of him with that bad ground speed.

Yeah Kirby definitely does not beat greninja but it's probably closer to an even matchup with maybe a slight greninja advantage. Kirby can duck under water shuriken and can copy it which definitely helps in the matchup.

I would not say that mewtwo is necessarily -1 for kirby either. Mewtwo is a lot faster and more powerful then before but being a tall light weight still hurts pretty bad against a combo heavy character like kirby. Similar to greninja it's probably only a slight advantage for mewtwo not a -1.
Kirby cannot duck under any variation of shuriken. Greninja walks very close to the ground.

Mewtwo's down tilt out ranges all of Kirby's moves. His speed and range along with his strong KO power really gives him the edge on that Match up.

Baffled Buffoon

Smash Rookie
If the Greninja is laming Kirby out, it will be a while before he can get ahold of him with that bad ground speed.

Kirby cannot duck under any variation of shuriken. Greninja walks very close to the ground.

Mewtwo's down tilt out ranges all of Kirby's moves. His speed and range along with his strong KO power really gives him the edge on that Match up.

I could have sworn Kirby could duck under shuriken, but your right. My B

Still got to keep in mind with Mewtwo though that Kirby can kill Mewtwo pretty early too and combo him too. Though after considering Mewtwo's range I feel the matchup is definitely at least a slight advantage for Mewtwo.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Sadly Theory is all we have for Kirby vs Mewtwo isn't it? Same with Greninja actually....
Hopefully we see those to really see if Kirby has trouble.

Btws Kirby's ground speed is merely average, so it's not bad, thought not great.
His airspeed.....yea thats another story though. But when Kirby DOES get in, I'm sure his CQC is better then both of them.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Greninja actually isn't theory Venia and Mike Kirby have played twice, already.

Last edited:

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
I've fought the best Greninja in my area a lot, and I'd say the MU is -1 for us. His high mobility, camp game, and even jump height just make it hard to win. Plus shadow sneak out of combos.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
I've always found Falcon kinda easy.
I feel like Kirby bodies the usual mid-level falcon (aggressive pressure), while the optimal Falcon (learned this from one of the best Falcon's in Ontario) is more of a passive, bait oriented style in this MU. As long as Falcon can mixup his recovery and keep himself in good positions I see the MU as even.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Oh by the way guys, Venia (the best NA greninja, lives in New York) has a 4 -1 record over MikeKirby in bracket.

So can we finally say it's a -1 for Kirby now? You guys don't body every fast faller you know <_<

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
I mean.....that does indicate that it may be harder for Kirby, but there could be other things that could technically affect how MikeKirby plays?

And I'm assuming it's only MikeKirby, what if some other Kirby main were to have an easier time?

Granted I am by no means saying we win, because I don't really care, but there are more factors for sure that can be contributed to MUs.

Baffled Buffoon

Smash Rookie
Oh by the way guys, Venia (the best NA greninja, lives in New York) has a 4 -1 record over MikeKirby in bracket. So can we finally say it's a -1 for Kirby now? You guys don't body every fast faller you know <_<

According to MikeKirby's matchup chart, greninja is a slight disadvantage which I think is -1. So yeah I can accept -1 for now.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
I'm curious to know if Mike has really played against EVERY character? I don't think I have seen a peach vs Kirby or samus, or Mewtwo, or tink......guess I could look on YouTube, idk if I'll get anything.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
I rushed through that match up chart. The reason I haven't officially posted any thoughts is because as DeeSmashin said; I haven't played a dedicated main of every character Therefor, I don't want to give opinions on an MU based on what my local Pit or Falco does, which there are none of here. Wifi is out of the question since it conditions different type of play which is dumb. I made like 5 different screenshot of what I think MU's could be and shared it with like 3 people. I'm not sure how that one made it to light. I'm pretty sure I beat Venia at least twice but yeah he has more wins against me.

Mewtwo is a pretty tough MU.
Speaking of Peach:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aByP9s6K-FLICqMegVu0F-5fjORzsnss1g/view

Last edited:

Joe Shmo

Smash Cadet
NNID
ferris123
I think that kirby loses to diddy. The banana allows no movement on the ground and diddy can just jump and fair you if you jump

SCOAKS5

Smash Cadet
NNID
Littecoaks
3DS FC
0834-3506-2629
I think maybe Pika may be -1 cause if Kirby can copy Pikahu's ability the match up becomes a lot better

SCOAKS5

Smash Cadet
NNID
Littecoaks
3DS FC
0834-3506-2629
I think that kirby loses to diddy. The banana allows no movement on the ground and diddy can just jump and fair you if you jump
Kirby's dair can gimp Diddy so well that it basically lets Kirby pressure Diddy to never be off stage. A huge part of the match up

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
*Looks at MikeKirby's MU chart*
Can someone explain to me why Pac-Man would be considered a -1? I always thought it was a 0, especially when you factor in the Copy Ability mechanic.

Top Bottom