• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Mentor?

Galaxy

Smash Journeyman
Stop randomly bashing each other. Seriously. Half of you don't even know what you are talking about.

Not trying to be a jerk, but it's pretty annoying.

LadyKirbess

Smash Apprentice
hi Calina, nice vids. i'm still learning with Kirby as i go so i'll do what i can to help. from what i can see, i think you're pretty good.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Isn't there a thread where you can swap friend codes?

Calina, if you want a match, I suggest looking for people with FC's in their sig and send a polite PM asking for one. I know quite a few people here and on the Ganon boards play online, so you could try either of those, or look around for others still.

Another possibility is looking in the regional thread for smashfests near you and playing people offline.

Now to critique the match:

I only watched the first match, and I have to say, you look a little like I did when I first started playing, and I'm afraid that's not a compliment... You've picked up way too many tactics that only work vs computers. However, don't despair, this can be fixed! (sorry if I'm a little harsh, I'm just trying to help, and I think harsh truth shall help you a lot more than just a simple watered down comment.)

First and foremost: Movement. You seemed to stand there most of the time, doing Ftilts waiting for the Link to walk into them. While the CPU does, a real player would pull out bombs, arrows and boomerangs, and just shoot you until you came to them. You've got to get used to approaching and retreating from your opponents. Most of us do it through short hops (something you definitely want to learn), though you can also do it by running/walking and shielding. I also like using Dash pivot cancels for this same purpose. Also, when you came from the air, you almost always seemed to come down on top of Link. Now while you can do this, as you noticed, you get Utilted/Usmashed. It's better if you try to either land somewhere, or if you really want to come at them with a Dair, you have 5 jumps, use them. You can FF until you're just out of his range, jump, watch him do an attack, then strike during his finishing lag.

Next up, Shielding: The shield... ahhh... at one point this was the most neglected part of my game, and the main reason I got ***** as soon as I went up against good players. While you could somewhat neglect it in the last two instillations of the game and still get by, Brawl being a very defensive game, the shield is incredibly useful. You have to learn to read your opponent (which on a CPU is not all that complicated) and shield/dodge when an attack is/could potentially be coming. Plus, you have options once in your shield. You can cancel it through both grabs and jumps, both of which will be useful for your Kirby's game. Imagine shielding an attack, to counter with a Gonzo combo during the enemies finishing lag. Now stop imagining it and go do it.

Predictability: You tend to use the same moves over and over again throughout this battle. I find myself thinking your going to Dair or Stone every time you're launched upwards, hammer and occasionally Fair every time you're launched to the side, and a tilt every time you're on the ground. You have to make yourself more unpredictable, and erratic movements (see part 1) help with this a lot. On top of that, you have a lot of options at all these times. I already went through landing options, so let's start with the others. From the side, you should be spamming Fair, Bair and Hammer, though not to hit the opponent necessarily, but rather as spacing tools. Make them afraid of being near that ledge. You can also do FC from the edge and regrab it at the end of it to achieve this end. On the ground, there were plenty of times, especially in that first stock, where you could have killed with a Fsmash but just sat out of range using F/Dtilts while waiting for him to come to you, and when he did, you'd get hit because you didn't bother to shield the attack. This is the exact opposite mindset to the one you want. If you want to wait for people to approach and punish their ending lag, go play Ganon, Bowser, Ike, or some other punishing character. Kirby isn't one to wait for them to attack you. You, as a Kirby player, should be putting the fear of the puffball in them, using your spacing tools to make them afraid of approaching, and using erratic movements and the occasional FC shockwave to keep them on their toes and never knowing when/how you'll attack. By spacing tools I mean Bair, Fair, pivot canceled tilts/smashes, hyphen smashes, and canceled aerial hammers (For any term you don't know, look in a guide. Actually, looking in a Kirby guide will help reguardless.).

Moves you use way too much and bad habits picked up from CPUs: Whew, this part is going to make me something of a hypocrite, but it must be said. First off, the stone. The only way this will ever hit in a real match is if you manage to surprise the opponent with it, or if your opponent is in the water and can't really avoid it (or, very rarely, right above a shielding opponent (and by right above I mean practically on them), as it can decimate shields, though that is very risky). Unlike CPUs, real players will not just stand under it waiting for you to knock them into the backround. If you're lucky, most players will move out of the way, though most likely, they will dodge or roll and grab you out of it, and that is always bad, through worst against some than others. Bottom line: Don't use it so much, it's a bad habit that will be knocked out of you in the first real fight you engage in.
Next, the Hammer. Holy crap, I can't believe I of all people am saying this, but you use this way, way WAY too much. This move, like the stone, really only connects if you catch the opponent by surprise with it, and can be used as a spacing tool (one of my favorite ones in fact) or even occasionally to pressure shields. You don't use it in any of these ways. You just kind of spammed it until it hit. The computer player punished you for this, and real players would punish you even more. For example, every time you do spam it against a DK, it's a free DK punch. Against Ike: Free Eruption. Bottom line: Don't use it so much.
Also, it you want to try to pit your tilts against an opponent's attacks, the Utilt is the only one with enough priority to actually clash with anything.

Finally, moves you need to start using more: BAIR! Much much more Bair. It's one of Kirby's best moves. Use it and abuse it. Also: Usmash, Fsmash, Dsmash (I really only use it as a pivot cancel or against people rolling everywhere), GRABS! (Kirby has an amazing grab game, make more use of it), inhale (this move can be very good, since it will override most attacks that require them to be close and even when they hit, if the enemy started getting inhaled, you get super armor. Also, it does 10% if you spit them out, and I think 6% if you swallow. Plus getting an extra move, especially if it's a projectile, is usually good, and most of them compliment your grab game well.), and Final Cutter (yeah, I like this. If you're far from a melee range character, start shockwaving him. He'll be forced to approach. It's also good on the edge, since it hits people sitting there waiting for you (though most won't) and can spike edge hoggers if timed well. Just make sure you don't get carried away with this, since you can get hit before you land if you aren't careful, and if you try hitting edge hoggers during the invincibility frames, you will die.).

Practice all of that and read a Kirby guide, and you should get better in no time. Also, find some people to play. While CPUs can be useful for practicing these techniques, nothing will replace playing human players. Hopefully you'll find this useful (and considering the time it took me to type, you'd better! GRAR! :laugh:). Anyone else have anything to add?

As for the whole CPU debate: Yeah, they're too predictable to be good. I use them because I don't often have people to play to A) keep in shape (you know what I mean) by pretending I don't know what's coming next. Still not very effective since they're dumb as a rock, but better than not playing at all. and B) Practice new techniques. For example, I can now do some things I couldn't do a month back like pivot grabs, pivot dash cancels, Flight of the Ganon, Yoshi's CG (Yeah, I know, it's kind of sad I wasn't able to do it before), etc. in a real match because I practiced getting the feel for them against CPUs.
However, you should NEVER fool yourself into thinking playing CPUs can prepare you/replace playing humans. It just can't.

Calina

Smash Cadet
I know, I use hammer and stone too much and I'm trying to break myself from the habit. Just found it so darn useful in Subspace Emissary, hahaha. But I'm getting better at not using it now after a bit of practice. ;)

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I would but my only friend who owns this games wi-fi wont work for him. D:
@_@

The reason I joined smashboards in the first place was to meet people to play...

if you look under peoples names, most of them have "Brawl FC" and then a number, that's their friend code.

Many people would be willing to play you, you just have to add each other's codes and you can play.

If any of you guys wanted to play me (I'm good, I promise.) just send me a message or say it here. I'm too lazy to watch your videos right now, there has been a massive influx of "rate my kirby" threads and posts over the past few days...

I can't believe this thread is now 5 pages..stop flaming, and try adding discussion to some of the less-loved, but important, threads. Like the stage discussion and metagame discussion.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I know, I use hammer and stone too much and I'm trying to break myself from the habit. Just found it so darn useful in Subspace Emissary, hahaha. But I'm getting better at not using it now after a bit of practice. ;)
You can still use Hammer and Stone, you just have to be extremely smart and careful with them. For example, don't use them if you're at a high % and missing the attack = death.

There are usually better options, but I love to throw them in there every so often.

I play her online now, give her a break.
Who was that directed at?

Maybe I can play her online now too >_>

fromundaman said:
ummm... is that good or bad? I meant to be helpful >.<
I think this is what he meant.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Quick question (I know this isn't really the place for it, but it's very loosely related... somewhat...): Does one need some kind of special equipment to connect a Wii to the internet via wired connection? If I can connect to my friend's ethernet port and bum off his internet, I may be able to play you.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
My last post was directed at Asdioh and anyone else crying about her not playing people online

i recorded this today, i liked the ending :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Rp0g1pFwE
I wasn't "crying", I just figured she might be a newbie so I informed her about how it's possible to add friends on the site.

Good games, by the way. Look at this around 0:11 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqDPUVgqPO0 and tell me if anything looks familiar :p

Good job with those "chaingrab" dthrows, lol. I always Naired after them for no reason and you always moved and caught me again. XD

fsdfsdgsgdf

Smash Champion
I wasn't "crying", I just figured she might be a newbie so I informed her about how it's possible to add friends on the site.

Good games, by the way. Look at this around 0:11 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqDPUVgqPO0 and tell me if anything looks familiar :p

Good job with those "chaingrab" dthrows, lol. I always Naired after them for no reason and you always moved and caught me again. XD
Well my bad for being mis-informed

ROFL yes i noticed something familiar

Top Bottom