• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Match-Up Advice thread!

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
My brother knows the Kirby MU (since he plays me and occasionally Chu), so he doesn't fall for gimmicks like Stone, whenever I try Stone, because it starts up slow, I almost always get uaired or Shuttle Looped, or punished when I have to get out of it (then am in the air again).

When I recover low with rising uairs, I usually am able to get least get back to the ledge, but not back on the stage itself. As for recovering high, it usually doesn't work (vs my brother's MK at least) so I've been trying something I saw Uni do (although it was vs a R.O.B.) he would jump above past the blast zone then Up-B and since Up-B falls fast as well as it being hard to tell where you're going when you're in the blast zone and he landed safely vs the R.O.B. It's not as reliable vs MK, but it DID work vs my brother in 1-2 situations, but he didn't fall for it more than that since Kirby's Up-B landing animation is still full of lag so he could punish it.

Thanks for the advice about getting my jumps back though, it's better than getting hit back off without jumps.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
My brother knows the Kirby MU (since he plays me and occasionally Chu), so he doesn't fall for gimmicks like Stone, whenever I try Stone, because it starts up slow, I almost always get uaired or Shuttle Looped, or punished when I have to get out of it (then am in the air again).

When I recover low with rising uairs, I usually am able to get least get back to the ledge, but not back on the stage itself. As for recovering high, it usually doesn't work (vs my brother's MK at least) so I've been trying something I saw Uni do (although it was vs a R.O.B.) he would jump above past the blast zone then Up-B and since Up-B falls fast as well as it being hard to tell where you're going when you're in the blast zone and he landed safely vs the R.O.B. It's not as reliable vs MK, but it DID work vs my brother in 1-2 situations, but he didn't fall for it more than that since Kirby's Up-B landing animation is still full of lag so he could punish it.

Thanks for the advice about getting my jumps back though, it's better than getting hit back off without jumps.
No prob.

To get back on the stage once I'm hanging on the ledge, what I usually do is ledgehop immediately after grabbing, and space a fair. You get ledgehop invincibility frames so there's little to no risk from that. If it seems like I won't reach MK before I'm vulnerable again, I stay back and regrab the ledge and try again/try something else as a mixup. If it seems like I can hit him with a fair, I go in for the hits, let Kirby float down onto the stage (no fastfall), land absolutely lagless and combo straight into a grab. Works too many times for me to not believe it's not a true combo, I don't think I've ever failed that to be honest.

If MK is smart and doesn't put himself in a vulnerable position, I just jump on-stage with my back turned in case he tries any funny business, usually by jumping twice or something to try and bait him into doing ANYTHING I can capitalize on, and land while punishing him.

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
Hmm, interesting. Fair off the ledge seems situational depending on the spacing though, cause if he shields it, the fair endlag on shield will outlast the invincibilty, then grab or Up-B. Or he can just space in general. I guess like you said it depends on mix-ups. I should try recovering with my back facing the stage more and spacing bairs, but I'm gonna try it vs MKs other than my brother. I don't want him to completely download me since he already seems to have a lot of me downloaded. ;_;

Comboing with the first or second hit off of fair into grab sounds interesting too.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Try practicing the ledgehop fair > grab though, it works wonders, especially against characters with no ******** hitboxes (and even against them sometimes). Once you do that enough times and get the hang of it, you kinda know when it'll work and when it won't.

Top Bottom