• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Kill Confirms

smesty

Smash Cadet
I thought this would be good in it's own thread compared to dying in the AT thread that already exists.

I have issues confirming kills,

D-AIr > Dsmash
Along with all other smash attacks is not confirmed unless they are propped up into the air. If they are not, you have around three frames to shield.

JabLock > Anything
The only way to confirm a Hammer combo is to Jablock them with a D-Tilt, which assumes that they miss tech after you N- Air them.

So I'm curious, since we have no kill throw, and my region does not allow custom moves (Rip upper cutter I will miss you)
What kill options are available apart from reading a roll with fsmash?

Im sick of reading and getting a grab and only getting 10% off a dthrow. :c

Maybe @ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima might have some help here for me, I'm sick of only killing with D-Air FF Footstool offstage as my only option.

Last edited:

Expert_Dual

Smash Rookie
If you land the tip of Forward Air it launches the opponent vertically which can lead up to forward smash angled upward. If the opponent has a fast aerial you might get traded but it generally can lead into a cool kill option. Another tactic I like to use is forward throw nair next to them then fastfall to the ground and punish their airdodge with forward smash or up smash.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
My kills come in a number of ways, but here's what I feel is most important:

FH B-Air:

This won't hit incredibly short characters like Kirby and Pikachu, but it'll still hit anybody who's ever so slightly tall, such as Ness, Mega Man and Villager. If they shield, it's still super safe, so it's a good option. The main problem is that B-Air doesn't kill until around 120%~ without Rage, so they'll be living for a while.

D-Tilt:

D-Tilt has a decently high trip rate. I'm not sure about the specifics, but I believe it's 30% at the base, 35% at the tip? Somebody can correct me on that. When D-Tilt trips, you can F-Smash for pretty early kills. The move puts Kirby into a crouching stance that's temporarily carried over into walking if you cancel it at the FAF with a walk, so advancing D-Tilt is a really nice option with C-Stick set to Attack. This is relatively hard to punish, although it's character dependant, mostly reliant on whether or not they can grab crouching Kirby. When combined with Perfect Pivot and Stutterstep F-Smash, your D-Tilt becomes just as important as U-Tilt. At 90%+, D-Tilt can combo into another D-Tilt if it doesn't trip, so you can get an even better chance at a F-Smash confirm. You'll need to learn your Perfect Pivots as to not miss the windows here, though.

U-Smash/D-Smash:

While both are easily punishable, remember that your U-Smash kills earlier than Fox's does, while our D-Smash covers both sides of our body. Kirby's feet are invincible during these moves, so you can use them against aerials (U-Smash) or grounded moves (D-Smash) to punish. Once you start implementing jab/inhale/ledge trump B-Air to make your ledge play terrifying, you can start getting easy kills with Smash Attacks by forcing specific get-up options.

Stone:

Using Stone to edgeguard is incredibly potent. Stone's knockback direction is dependant on what side of the opponent's hurtbox you come in contact with, so you can use this to choose to stage spike your opponent, or kill them from the blast zone. One thing that should be noted is Stone acts as a counter of sorts. For example, Kirby uses Stone to edgeguard Ryu's Side B. However, Kirby misses and rather ends up falling in front of Ryu's Side B path. Ryu's hitbox from the move will come in contact with Kirby's Stone, be tanked by the super armor, and then punished due to the hitlag that the opponent and Kirby receives. This is useful as it allows you to shove yourself straight into recoveries and ensure you'll hit them.

Inhale:

While it is incredibly gimmicky, I recommend you learn the set-ups that come with Inhale. For example, once you have somebody in your mouth, you can Jump > Copy > B-Air an unsuspecting opponent. They are allowed to move before you can, so nothing is ever confirmed, and becomes more of a guessing game. Watch what your opponent usually does after being copied and react accordingly. Along with that, I recommend you learn the best situations to go for Kirbycide. Whether you're at a percent deficit or up a stock, using Kirbycide can be deadly and put fear in the opponent. Pre-patch I'd never recommend using the technique, but it's definitely usable now. Practice your grab break techniques against certain characters so you can avoid getting footstool'd and potentially footstool them yourself.

Copy Abilities:

Learn these, they're important. Several Copy Abilities will kill the opponent, so it's good to learn the ways they can help you. Be creative with your abilities to make the most out of them and land those kills!

Expert_Dual

Smash Rookie
As for inhale if you inhale someone in the air after they use their double jump they do not get it back, making it a lot safer and easier to follow up with up smash or back air. Oh and it's a good edge guard technique to spit them out afterwards if you catch their jump.

smesty

Smash Cadet
Thanks @ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima , I know that D-Tilt > F-Smash is common, but sometimes unavailable as i can't seem to walk out of it before F-Smash fast enough.

Up-Smash seems so much weaker to me then you are saying there though, it just seems like it's not as strong as our other two options.

Last thing on Kirbycides:

I can never seem to get them, they either mash out or something happens, it may sound stupid but:

- How to optimally execute a kirbycide.
- When to spit them out / on what stages
- Best stages for Kirby for both Kirbycides / D-Air footstool.

I've sort of come up with my own list
- Dreamland
- Battlefield
- Halberd
- Lylat

But that's just from personal experience, if you can add to it, or add some insight, that'd be so nice as this information isn't really readily available anywhere else.

Getting those kills is how I feel I am being held back here.

Swablus

Smash Rookie
I thought this would be good in it's own thread compared to dying in the AT thread that already exists.

I have issues confirming kills,

D-AIr > Dsmash
Along with all other smash attacks is not confirmed unless they are propped up into the air. If they are not, you have around three frames to shield.

JabLock > Anything
The only way to confirm a Hammer combo is to Jablock them with a D-Tilt, which assumes that they miss tech after you N- Air them.

So I'm curious, since we have no kill throw, and my region does not allow custom moves (Rip upper cutter I will miss you)
What kill options are available apart from reading a roll with fsmash?

Im sick of reading and getting a grab and only getting 10% off a dthrow. :c

Maybe @ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima might have some help here for me, I'm sick of only killing with D-Air FF Footstool offstage as my only option.
Use kirby's dair to your advantage! A thing that i like to do to start off the game is to back throw bair and follow up if possible. Fthrow is very good for comboing at low percents. A thing that i like to do is fthrow to dair or fthrow to fair (try to mix this up by jumping and then throwing out your move as your opponent will most likely adapt). Dair to utilt is a decent way to tack on percent as well (dair utilt, dair utilt, repeat the process as you see fit). Dair to dtilt (frame trap) into a fthrow string is also very good in my opinion. Once your opponent is off stage, dair to footstool is a very good way to get a kill, be careful when going for this though. Dair to footstool kills relatively early but if you feel like/know that your opponent will make it back, you can dair them again as they are trying to recover.

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
Thanks @ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima
Up-Smash seems so much weaker to me then you are saying there though, it just seems like it's not as strong as our other two options.

Getting those kills is how I feel I am being held back here.
Oh no, Up-Smash is very strong when timed right, it's given me many a KO, don't underestimate it.

Use kirby's dair to your advantage! .... dair to footstool kills relatively early but if you feel like/know that your opponent will make it back, you can dair them again as they are trying to recover.
Yeah, dair is a wonderful tool in our arsenal, as said it can be used to juggle and softspike. As Swablus said though, remember to follow up with another dair, I can't remember how many times I've connected with a dair and they managed to airdodge the next and recover anyway.

Also juggling with uair is very efficient and can lead to a kill, you should practice with it. Don't underestimate the frightening power our bair has, either.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
If they pop out of dair, dair to bair is a fun thing. Not guaranteed, but fun. If they're at high enough percents and they don't tech a dair, you can hit them with what you'd like.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
It's one of Kirby's main problems. He has no kill confirm except for d-tilt trip into f-smash. Anything and everything else is a maybe, unfortunately. :ohwell:

However, I feel d-air>d-smash might actually frame trap certain characters but I haven't labbed it. I really should.

With his new throw though, Kirby can kill confirm with Samus's charge shot, Giant Punch, and Pacman Key throw. You just need to be close enough to the blastzone.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
Some questions about what has been mentioned here:
D-Tilt:

D-Tilt has a decently high trip rate. I'm not sure about the specifics, but I believe it's 30% at the base, 35% at the tip? Somebody can correct me on that. When D-Tilt trips, you can F-Smash for pretty early kills. The move puts Kirby into a crouching stance that's temporarily carried over into walking if you cancel it at the FAF with a walk, so advancing D-Tilt is a really nice option with C-Stick set to Attack.
So what I do here is to first D-Tilt and as soon as I can interrupt the attack I just start walking against the opponent? Or did I misunderstand?

When combined with Perfect Pivot and Stutterstep F-Smash, your D-Tilt becomes just as important as U-Tilt. At 90%+, D-Tilt can combo into another D-Tilt if it doesn't trip, so you can get an even better chance at a F-Smash confirm. You'll need to learn your Perfect Pivots as to not miss the windows here, though.
How do you combine this with Perfect Pivot? Doing D-Tilt -> PP F-Smash or do you mean something else? Is PP F-Smash in some way more useful than Stutterstep F-Smash? When comboing D-Tilt -> D-Tilt, is that done by doing D-Tilt -> PP turnaround D-Tilt?

Practice your grab break techniques against certain characters so you can avoid getting footstool'd and potentially footstool them yourself.
What do you mean by "grab break techniques"? I only thought that the opponent could do things to break out when being inhaled by Kirby, but can Kirby do something as well? Like can you influence where they'll pop out after the Inhale or something? Also, when you say "certain characters" I'm guessing you mean characters that can usually footstool Kirby after breaking out from Inhale.
He has no kill confirm except for d-tilt trip into f-smash.
What timing do you have when doing this? Sometimes I have a hard time reacting to if they get tripped or not and when I have reacted they have already gained invincibility... Should I just try to train up my reaction time for this? ._.

With his new throw though, Kirby can kill confirm with Samus's charge shot, Giant Punch, and Pacman Key throw. You just need to be close enough to the blastzone.
I'm guessing that this only works on pretty specific percents?

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I can't reply to everything right now because I need to sleep, but I react to D-Tilt based on the sound it makes. The trip sound effect is really... squishy.

MrMFC

Smash Cadet
NNID
iLFurkan
I can't reply to everything right now because I need to sleep, but I react to D-Tilt based on the sound it makes. The trip sound effect is really... squishy.
Didn't notice that omg i need to practice this just now

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
It's one of Kirby's main problems. He has no kill confirm except for d-tilt trip into f-smash. Anything and everything else is a maybe, unfortunately. :ohwell:

However, I feel d-air>d-smash might actually frame trap certain characters but I haven't labbed it. I really should.

I think dair > dsmash is guaranteed on Ness... I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think I've ever had that combo shielded against a Ness.

WOW. How did I not realize this earlier... When I do it I just kind of throw it out YOLO style.

Last edited:

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
A lot of setups that I play on in tournament don't have volume turned on, which is kind of annoying since I can't react to sounds like the tripping Down Tilt. But it is good to note, especially since it helps lower the risk.

Also, there are a lot of Ness players in my area and they usually either Jump and Air Dodge out of it or throw out a Nair and sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't, though, so I could just be a little slow (I don't think that's the case, but it could be).

Also, yes, Down Tilt stops tripping after a while. I'm not sure of the exacts, but when it stops tripping, you can tell your opponent is sent a little bit higher vertically, thus they never trip.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
A lot of setups that I play on in tournament don't have volume turned on, which is kind of annoying since I can't react to sounds like the tripping Down Tilt.
I kind of always plug in my headphones into the Gamepad when playing tournament matches. Makes reacting to sounds much easier and it also gets rid of some distraction around me.

Last edited:

Waves

Smash Rookie
for kirbycide just use it after you took 1st stock and are at a high %, ledge camp and inhale jump off, if they break out hold back on control stick so they cant footstool and then do 2 quick jumps preferably towards them to try and footstool and then dair. the exact spot to get it to where they die and u dont isnt worth because they have to be at a very high % not to mash out anyways. also there is a bit of lag on reinhaling so dont try that unless they have no jumps or something. bair into stage if u can too.

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
D-Air to U-Smash also works quite well if you're worried about the slight lift you give your opponent when you land during the D-Air.

Also, if you trip with the D-Tilt, you can dash forward and U-Smash. This also gives you a chance to punish with said U-Smash if they roll backwards.

Last edited:
Top Bottom