• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby in 1.04

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I feel that we need a more centralized discussion regarding 1.04, so here it is. Please discuss any topics related to this update and Kirby.

I'll add changes to the OP later today.

Last edited:

2Mixer

Smash Apprentice
+ Feet-based attacks have a longer range

+ U-Smash is significantly faster, has a sour-spot that allows the move to reach farther

+ U-Air is much faster, has reduced landing lag, hitbox extended to hit BEHIND Kirby now.

+ Dash speed is increased

- Increased landing lag on N-Air, F-Air

- D-Air -> sourspotted U-Tilt no longer a combo (normal U-Tilt still is)

- Kirbycide KOs Kirby first now

* Hup Cancel is still in

Can confirm all the things, but the ll on nair and fair is still the same

C.O.M.M

Smash Cadet

+ U-Smash is significantly faster, has a sour-spot that allows the move to reach farther

+ U-Air is much faster, has reduced landing lag, hitbox extended to hit BEHIND Kirby now.

- D-Air -> sourspotted U-Tilt no longer a combo (normal U-Tilt still is)

* Hup Cancel is still in

Can confirm all the things, but the ll on nair and fair is still the same
I didn't notice the landing lag on either nair or fair either, but I was testing it early this morning and haven't touched it since due to me being in school.

Can anybody else vouch as well?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
This was in Smash 4 from the beginning. There was talk of it being random who died first or decided by player number in the early days but that seems to have just been last minute breakouts causing confusion.
That said, the hurtbox of swallowed enemies seems a little weird as Mute City's track doesn't seem to hurt them 100% of the time.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Ok well

literally nothing about Kirby changed. I tested almost everything on that supposed change list, it all seems the same. Upair MIGHT look like it has more range but that's probably imagination. Upsmash hits behind Kirby but I believe it always did.

Everything else is the same. Bthrow still combos into Bair on some characters, Fthrow still has no true followup, Dthrow still does the least damage and has no followups, Upthrow is still best throw, damage on all moves seems exactly the same. If anyone can show video evidence of differences that'd be great, but don't get your hopes up, he seems the same.
Actually he's probably better, since some of the top tiers got nerfed.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I'll be adding info to the Kirby Guide as it is found out. Do note that I will not include anything that is pure speculation.

Last edited:

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
Pretty upset that we don't have patchnotes, hopefully they come out. Hopefully there is a minor buff to Kirby.. Can anyone check if Final Cutter can snap to the ledge now?

Artero

Smash Enthousiast
NNID
Artero
Pretty upset that we don't have patchnotes, hopefully they come out. Hopefully there is a minor buff to Kirby.. Can anyone check if Final Cutter can snap to the ledge now?
Still no ledge snap sadly.

Are any of Kirby's buffs confirmed? Uair at the very least feels buffed in size and speed, which is great.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
no everything is literally the same i'm telling you

unless they changed knockback very minorly on some things NOTHING changed

feel free to show proof of anything that changed, but I went through my old videos and compared things like Upair and it looks the same.

Artero

Smash Enthousiast
NNID
Artero
no everything is literally the same i'm telling you

unless they changed knockback very minorly on some things NOTHING changed

feel free to show proof of anything that changed, but I went through my old videos and compared things like Upair and it looks the same.
Only got my gut feeling to go by, so that could very well be the placebo-effect. Haven't got acces to another 3DS, so can't check the changes between versions sadly. :(

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
:4kirby:

Neutral A combo
Dmg: 12% -> 12%
KB: 101 -> 101

FTilt
Dmg: 8% -> 8%
KB: 92 -> 92

DTilt
Dmg: 6% -> 6%
KB: 39 -> 39

UTilt
Dmg: 5% -> 5%
KB: 98 -> 98

Dash Attack
Dmg: 9% -> 9%
KB: 104 -> 104

Raw FSmash
Dmg: 15% -> 15%
KB: 160 -> 160

Raw USmash
Dmg: 15% -> 15%
KB: 158 -> 158

Raw DSmash
Dmg: 14% -> 14%
KB: 153 -> 153

NAir
Dmg: 10% -> 10%
KB: 110 -> 110

FAir
KB: 112 -> 112

UAir
Dmg: 9% -> 9%
KB: 106 -> 106

BAir
Dmg: 13% -> 13%
KB: 140 -> 140

DAir
Dmg: 11% - > 11%
KB: 55 -> 55

Pummel
Dmg: 1%, 2% -> 1%, 2%

FThrow
Dmg: 7% -> 7%
KB: 103 -> 103

BThrow
Dmg: 8% -> 8%
KB: 121 -> 121

DThrow
Dmg: 6% -> 6%

UThrow
Dmg: 10% -> 10%

Neutral B (Copy, Spit)
Dmg: 10%, 6% -> 10%, 6%
KB: 15 -> 15

Side B (Uncharged)
Dmg: 19% -> 19%
KB: 163 -> 163

Down B
Dmg: 18% -> 18%
KB: 160 -> 160

Up B
KB: 67 -> 67
Here's some info for Kirby. From what I can tell, nothing was changed about him.

However, I did NOT test out things such as sourspots, starting/ending/landing lag, movement speeds, knockback angles, recovery distances, etc. so any of those could potentially be changed. This also means that the "range buffs" or "start-up times" on some of his moves that are supposedly buffed COULD be real.

From the testing I have done, along with my general knowledge and familiarity of Kirby, I don't think anything was actually changed to him overall.

Copy Abilities were slightly altered, with the different "glitches" being removed, such as Hyper Rollout and Thoron Jump Restoration. I will later be testing to see if Kirby got any differences with abilities that had their original version changed, such as Olimar's Pikmin Throw.

Has anybody's Neutral Specials been altered in any way? If so, could somebody please tell me?

Last edited:

ECTO

Smash Rookie
Same here, I've been playing around and nothing feels different. I was hoping for better air speed, but I don't see any difference. A lot of people are saying on reddit and such that his F-Smash and smashes in general have more range, but they we're always kind of deceptive in the range department.

Happ

Smash Rookie
NNID
Happhazardous
3DS FC
2852-8179-5097

umm none of this.^^^ uair and usmash could always could hit behind him

The only things i've noticed that might be a change is a slight increase in weight cause i was consistently surviving some smash attacks from around 130-175% (highly unlikely, probably just due to the person and character i was against) and the hit box for dsmash may have extended to cover a square area from the width of his feet to the top of his head. (only say this due to a suspect ko earlier today)

honestly i don't think anythings changed

The Pink Marshmallow

Smash Rookie
OK OK so nair wasn't nerfed

OMG THANK JESUS HALLELUJAH, THAT MOVE WAS AMAZING.
It was a combo breaker and a combo starter. It's probably his best move. I would die if it was nerfed like legit die.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
After testing all of his moves side-by-side, along with things such as his dash speed, walking speed, and recovery distance... Kirby is exactly the same.

From my test results, Kirby has no changes whatsoever. He's exactly the same as before.

Beethro

Smash Cadet
NNID
dernCereal
3DS FC
2621-3736-4780
im sad about copy ability glitch patches D:
no more hyper rollout no more thoron jumps and i think no more monado cancels and i have no idea if he had peanut cancels but no more of that
whatever lol most of those outside of thoron jumps were way less useful on us than the originals

edit: i guess i stand corrected on monado cancels haha i really cant tell when that is or isnt working

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Buffs:
:4falco: Falco's Copy Ability shoots lasers faster, and has shorter end-lag.

:4shulk: Shulk's Copy Ability still allows for Monado Cancels, Boosted Pivot Grabs, and Jump Footstool Follow-Ups.

Nerfs:
:4yoshi: Yoshi's Copy Ability has more start-up.

:rosalina: Rosalina's Copy Ability travels less distance.

:4robinm: Robin's Copy Ability can no longer Thoron Jump Refresh.

:4jigglypuff: Jigglypuff's Copy Ability can no longer Hyper Rollout.

General:
:4greninja: Greninja's Copy Ability has removed the grab invulnerability, although I'm not sure if Kirby ever got that.

Beethro

Smash Cadet
NNID
dernCereal
3DS FC
2621-3736-4780
any info on if the changes to buster monado apply to kirby? that is, the 1.20% damage taken being dropped to 1.13%? i think thats what i saw in the community patch notes anyway

and im just gonna assume that you not acknowledging kirby's peanut cancels means kirby never got those haha

shame that our luma shot is shorter range but is there any info on if thats compensated by the changes to luma's behavior while rosa is grabbed? like how exactly did that change affect inhale im not sure? also the community notes thingy said that the luma shot range was only decreased for uncharged, do you know if thats also the case with kirby's?

MaximTomato

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1118-0313-9599
I feel like Kirby does have longer range. I've been hitting F-Smashes like crazy, but then again it could just be a placebo effect. Either way placebo effect can be good for you. If you feel like your character is improved and is better, then more than likely you will perform better.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
any info on if the changes to buster monado apply to kirby? that is, the 1.20% damage taken being dropped to 1.13%? i think thats what i saw in the community patch notes anyway

and im just gonna assume that you not acknowledging kirby's peanut cancels means kirby never got those haha

shame that our luma shot is shorter range but is there any info on if thats compensated by the changes to luma's behavior while rosa is grabbed? like how exactly did that change affect inhale im not sure? also the community notes thingy said that the luma shot range was only decreased for uncharged, do you know if thats also the case with kirby's?
Yes, the Luma Shot's range is only affected uncharged. The change with Buster affects Kirby as well. Rosalina can no longer use Luma to hit Kirby while she's swallowed. Kirby never got the Popgun Cancel.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Dunno if this is new but after 104 or 140 (I dont clearly remember) you stop taking damage from the hammer

gameplayzero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroBlaze
Dunno if this is new but after 104 or 140 (I dont clearly remember) you stop taking damage from the hammer
kirby stops taking damage at 100% normally. Sakurai would be a troll to make it go to 104% now and especially 140%. Thats doing a bit too much.

Happ

Smash Rookie
NNID
Happhazardous
3DS FC
2852-8179-5097
were you always able to jump with the hammer out?

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
So basically all the changes are just a placebo effect? We didn't get increased ranged, or run speed? Awww.

I told Wasoodle and somebody else on skype chat that I didn't see a difference in nair or fair but they claimed differently.

Pretty sure you could only tap jump, not button jump but yes, yes you could.
I was able to button jump with the hammer, in fact it's how I've been jumping with the hammer all along. I have grab set to Y and the extra jump button set to L.

Last edited:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Should we be glad there were no direct nerfs to Kirby, or sad that he didn't get any buffs? Either way, it makes the transition for Kirby players that much simplier after the patch.

At least some of Kirby's match-ups seemed to have been tweaked in his favor slightly, specifically with Rosalina (Luma respawn) and Greninja (that ridiculous U-smash).

For how little the game has been available to the players I'm glad to see mostly minor changes with characters being 'polished up' or glitches fixed. Removing things like the Grab-Release on Wario and the DACUS seem to say to us that these things weren't suppose to be in the game to begin with. But then that makes me wonder why they weren't removed going from Brawl -> 3DS...?

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Greninja also lost his silly down air cancel using shadow sneak. I keep seeing people complain about greninja's nerfs, saying he's ruined. Me? I welcome them.

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Well dang... Looks like you guys are so good with Kirby that Sakurai does not believe Kirby needs a buff but sucks enough that he did not get a nerf. Congratulation guys! Our character is balanced! Its time to "git gud".

Last edited:
Top Bottom