• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
I'm picturing K. Rool with a counter where he pulls out Dixie (kinda like Peach using Toad) and it just seems kinda creepy.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
No offense. But give me one good reason that someone as heroic as K. Rool would ever associate with "Dixie the Destroyer". That girl is out of control. She SUNK Crocodile Isle. Yes, even Krazy Kremland's KI arcade. Good job on losing the license to that franchise, Dixie.

She also hates the environment. Remember when she turned into an elephant and beat up a waterfall? Say what you want, but at least Krem Co creates good jobs for weird underwater gears.

Sakurai is such a hard working man. Do you think he would forget this? It's kanon.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Sakurai: "You may be wondering my eye is looking a little red today. That's because (takes off mask) I AM KING K. ROOL!"

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
I guess I'm alone on this one, dang.
It boggles my damn mind that you guys believe these leaks past a casual amusement and a quote from the man himself isn't worthy of looking at.
With the exception of Verg and loz18 who are at the very least worth watching, I don't think anyone sane is looking at these leaks as anything more than entertainment and wish fulfillment.

The reason is that Sakurai's quote was literally just him saying he's tired. Remember that he didn't type that in English, I believe someone else mentioned it doesn't directly translate to "red eye", and even "strained" is a hell of a stretch. We'll see him on camera during the Direct, he's likely just prematurely apologizing for apparently seeming tired.

Look at it from an outside perspective.

Sakurai: "Hey guys I'm really tired, so sorry in advance about my eyes, but please enjoy!"
Fans: "EYES? K. ROOL OR ASHLEY?!?!"

It's just disrespectful and completely missing the point.

Last edited:

Grolem11

Smash Rookie
Holding good faith that K. Rool will be revealed in this direct. Although, it is very easy to speculate that there will be a hype character reveal like K. Rool in such an early direct. I'm going to expect the worse and hope for the best. If K. Rool isn't announced at this direct we still have 3 months for another direct to come, maybe 2 more directs assuming we will get at least 6 new comers, there is no way that they would cram a bunch of new comer announcements into one direct so they have to spread it out equally. What do you guys think? you think we will see more than 1 character reveal this direct?

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Well, at least 1 character is basically guaranteed (unless somehow E3 roster was final). The question is will we get more than 1. As discussed previously, it's very possible we'll get 2, perhaps one at the beginning and one at the end. If any Direct does get two reveals, it would be a Smash-centered one.

If we count Echoes, I think 3 is also a real possibility, with them doing a Daisy-esque reveal in the middle of the Direct. But I think 2 unique newcomers, or 1 new + 1 Echo, are the most likely outcomes.

Hopefully after this Direct, we'll have a better idea of just what we can expect in terms of the months leading up to release, in terms of newcomers and other information.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I don't think we should expect K. Rool on Wednesday. Now, I'd love for it to be him, but it's too soon to reveal him. Many of you have said it already, but Ridley was just revealed. It's better not to show off your best cards just yet.

I'm definitely expecting 1 echo and a newcomer though. I can't imagine who they'd be, but I think it'd be pretty interesting if he caught us off guard and it ended up being someone like Geno. Here's hoping we're in for a treat.

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
We know for a fact that the character they're going to reveal is pretty popular in Japan, so in my opinion, it must be Ashley or K Rool.
+ Sakurai talkin about red eyes make this even more believable.
Finally seeing K Rool showing up in Smash Bros after a wait of 15+ years would be so awesome...
I don't think we know that for a fact though.

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
I don't think we know that for a fact though.
Yeah, we don't. The only thing even suggesting it is Sakurai mentioning that the time is better for Japanese audiences (presumably compared to the E3 Direct).
...Though, honestly to me that feels like a strange thing to point out. I guess I see the logic, but it seems like such a mundane thing to remark on.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Yeah, we don't. The only thing even suggesting it is Sakurai mentioning that the time is better for Japanese audiences (presumably compared to the E3 Direct).
...Though, honestly to me that feels like a strange thing to point out. I guess I see the logic, but it seems like such a mundane thing to remark on.
Certainly possible it means a character Japan really wants, I just don't think we know for a fact that that is what it is. Regardless we don't have that long of a wait to find out.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Okay. I see a lot of people saying it’s insensitive to see Sakurai’s eye strain as a hint...but the dude is basically predicting having eye problems 3 days after he said it.

May Sakurai be in good health, but also, why wouldn’t people at least try to puzzle things together while they’re waiting? It’s part of the Smash reveal season.

And come on...he may as well have said “I will have red eyes in 3 days.” Maybe the translation is less understood, so he actually means we should expect red eyes because it will be quite late in Japan.

But that isn’t the translation we were provided.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
I'm not a monument to Japanese culture but as I understand it almost every company from the bottom up has expectations I would call intense.

I feel like it's just weird or polite or both that he would apologize for being worked too hard because that's the expectation there. There are thousands of people with eyeballs on just this project that are working hard and wearing themselves thin too.

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Considering time zone differences and it was the only time they could probably air it, thats why they mentioned the time thing.

Last edited:

Machete

Smash Ace
As hype as it would be, I don't see K.Rool being revealed now, directly after Ridley. To me those two always seemed more "secret character" material, with Ridley being revealed at E3 due to him bringing in the max hype. I see him revealed closer to release. While we all obviously want K.Rool, is there another character reveal that would make you feel safer for his chances in a "yeah, if they got this character in, I am fairly sure K.Rool will also be in"? I'd feel even more confident if another highly requested character got in, especially if they got a Mii costume in 4.

osby

Smash Obsessed
As hype as it would be, I don't see K.Rool being revealed now, directly after Ridley. To me those two always seemed more "secret character" material, with Ridley being revealed at E3 due to him bringing in the max hype. I see him revealed closer to release. While we all obviously want K.Rool, is there another character reveal that would make you feel safer for his chances in a "yeah, if they got this character in, I am fairly sure K.Rool will also be in"? I'd feel even more confident if another highly requested character got in, especially if they got a Mii costume in 4.
Geno. It would show Sakurai is determined to bring fan favourites back from death.

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Okay. I see a lot of people saying it’s insensitive to see Sakurai’s eye strain as a hint...but the dude is basically predicting having eye problems 3 days after he said it.

May Sakurai be in good health, but also, why wouldn’t people at least try to puzzle things together while they’re waiting? It’s part of the Smash reveal season.

And come on...he may as well have said “I will have red eyes in 3 days.” Maybe the translation is less understood, so he actually means we should expect red eyes because it will be quite late in Japan.

But that isn’t the translation we were provided.
Sakurai won't be presenting the direct live. It's been recorded in advance.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Guys, it finally happened! K. Rool's reveal trailer leaked!!

Last edited:

Wegenbarth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3609-1252-6127
Hey there Krokodiles, long time lurker but long time supporter here. Now should be the best time to express my support and hope for an end to this long fight tomorrow. Also, really hope that Sa K. Urai's red eye comment is a hint.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
There will be likely many fake leaks out today with people claiming to have sources or inside information. Please don't believe them even if the King is on those leaks or how credible they may seem. These are people trolling with our expectations or who want the attention. Believing them only sets yourself up for disappointment.

And I agree with most people here in saying that I don't think K Rool will be revealed tomorrow. It's too soon after Ridley for another fan favorite and I think Nintendo wants to hold off on to their big character surprises until closer to launch.

Last edited:

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
Has everyone noticed the peak of exposure K.Rool has gotten lately? Every time I visit twitter he's there, and then again. This is crazy compared to 2014 times

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Has everyone noticed the peak of exposure K.Rool has gotten lately? Every time I visit twitter he's there, and then again. This is crazy compared to 2014 times
Same here. On MY twitter he's like, on every second tweet. It's awesome to see :3

Untouch

Smash Master
Interesting think I haven't seen a lot of people mention.
Diddy is getting a new FS, all of the controllable ones have been revamped so far, but we haven't seen Diddy's.
Maybe that'll be mentioned in the direct tomorrow, setting the stage for K Rool?

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
imagine if the whole red eye thing was just a way to trick people. The direct starts and sakurai is covering his eye. He saids "I'm sorry if my right eye is a little red today. I'm really tired and I will have to continue this direct like this by covering my eye. Oh I like to show you something". Video starts and K Rool appears and is confirmed playable. Sakurai comes back on screen and he removes his hand from his eye and its a fake red eye that looks like King K. Rools lol Sakurai saids " much better".

Untouch

Smash Master
Some more speculation.
Out of the initial 8 only two characters don't have villains representing them (if you count Mewtwo as a villain at least), Yoshi and DK.
Yoshi is another character with (likely) a new FS that hasn't been shown off.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Some more speculation.
Out of the initial 8 only two characters don't have villains representing them (if you count Mewtwo as a villain at least), Yoshi and DK.
Yoshi is another character with (likely) a new FS that hasn't been shown off.
Arguably (and I only mean arguably), Bowser Jr. could be Yoshi's villain since he resembles Baby Bowser and I think it just makes sense in general, so that really just leaves DK.

Last edited:

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
I see some people saying it's too early after Ridley for revealing K Rool. Why though? It's just 4 months away, and with not that many newcomers to be expected as Sakurai stated, they probably are bomb after bomb anyway. To put things into perspective:

The sooner we know he's in (or out...) the better, no?

Last edited:

Jimmy42893

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jimmy42893
I think it's funny that several YouTube predictions and that Reddit poll think K. Rool is likely on Wednesday, while most of the Kutthroats don't. I guess we've just been burned too many times.

As for me, I'm pretty sure we won't get him on Wednesday for all the reasons already discussed, but I have one totally irrational reason to think we will. As I've mentioned on here a few times, my grandma and I have been rooting for a K. Rool comeback for about four years now, and in that time I've called her with updates after every Nintendo Direct. Tomorrow, however, I'll actually be with my grandma during the Direct, which means it's the first time she'll actually be watching the Direct firsthand. Silly and sentimental as it is, I'd like to think that K. Rool has waited all this time so that I could witness his glorious return live, with my grandma; it's just too poetic a thought to pass up. Embarrass

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I think it's funny that several YouTube predictions and that Reddit poll think K. Rool is likely on Wednesday, while most of the Kutthroats don't. I guess we've just been burned too many times.

As for me, I'm pretty sure we won't get him on Wednesday for all the reasons already discussed, but I have one totally irrational reason to think we will. As I've mentioned on here a few times, my grandma and I have been rooting for a K. Rool comeback for about four years now, and in that time I've called her with updates after every Nintendo Direct. Tomorrow, however, I'll actually be with my grandma during the Direct, which means it's the first time she'll actually be watching the Direct firsthand. Silly and sentimental as it is, I'd like to think that K. Rool has waited all this time so that I could witness his glorious return live, with my grandma; it's just too poetic a thought to pass up. Embarrass
Here's hoping that pans out for you.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
The prevailing sentiment here is that it's too soon after Ridley to reveal K. Rool. But I'm going to drop a hard truth, K. Rool is really only a "big reveal" in the context of the Smash community. His appeal is for the Smash community and a generally older audience. In that context, it makes sense, if he's in the game, to reveal him in a Direct solely dedicated to Smash. There's also the notion that, yes, we're already 2 months out from E3 and 4 left to release, so there won't be that many more opportunities for big reveals.

I think a lot of us here are just trying to keep our expectations as low as possible. But to that, I'm of a mind that we implement the "hope, expect, pray" mindset for any wanted newcomer. I'll use K. Rool as an example:

Hope he is confirmed
Expect that he'll neither be confirmed nor disconfirmed
And pray he isn't deconfirmed as an AT / stage hazard / Mii costume

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Since Diddys FS hasnt been shown off yet, obviously it will be revealed tomorrow that in the new final smash Diddy summons King K Rool, Chrom style, to deal a krushing blow!

...just kidding. I honestly have no idea what to expect tomorrow, so im just hoping for K Rool. Unless its something like Banjo Kazooie or Rayman, anything else would just feel kinda... lame imo. Even a cool character like Ashley or Waddle Dee would get a "dont care, show me the King" vibe from me. Maybe thats just me getting spoiled rotten after E3, but I do hope that we know K. Rools fate before December 7th (Or whenever the inevitable roster leak drops). For the sake of my sanity.

Machete

Smash Ace
The prevailing sentiment here is that it's too soon after Ridley to reveal K. Rool. But I'm going to drop a hard truth, K. Rool is really only a "big reveal" in the context of the Smash community. His appeal is for the Smash community and a generally older audience. In that context, it makes sense, if he's in the game, to reveal him in a Direct solely dedicated to Smash. There's also the notion that, yes, we're already 2 months out from E3 and 4 left to release, so there won't be that many more opportunities for big reveals.

I think a lot of us here are just trying to keep our expectations as low as possible. But to that, I'm of a mind that we implement the "hope, expect, pray" mindset for any wanted newcomer. I'll use K. Rool as an example:

Hope he is confirmed
Expect that he'll neither be confirmed nor disconfirmed
And pray he isn't deconfirmed as an AT / stage hazard / Mii costume
As a counterpoint, I'd argue that only a few characters go beyond "big reveal" just for the Smash community. Like, I'd say only characters like Snake, Sonic and Cloud get to that point, and arguably Mega Man. Not even Ridley gets there, as without knowing the entire history of Ridley and the Smash Bros fandom/speculation, Ridley would seem just one more character for most everybody. I don't think Nintendo is even trying to particularly hype up people beyond the Smash community, probably because they are well aware the general public is already gonna buy the game from Mario, Pokémon, Link, the Fire Emblem characters, etc. Like, as characters they might be bigger than the King nowadays, but who could we reasonably expect that would be a big deal beyond the Smash community? Certainly not a new Pokemon or a super safe character like Isabelle. Certainly not a retro character (even if it's a third party like Simon Belmont). About the only "big reveals" beyond the Smash community I can think of are the completely unrealistic characters like Master Chief or Goku. It just seems more fitting that they'd reveal someone that covers more bases (a Pokemon, Isabelle, Ashley, a third party) than revealing another fan-favorite villain. But hey, I'd love to be wrong, and if crocodile cacophony or gangplank galleon start playing in tomorrow's Direct, I'll celebrate it as hard as everyone else. But if I were in Sakurai's shoes, I'd honestly reveal K.Rool far closer to launch (or even try to keep him secret).

And somewhat unrelated, but if I'm gonna be honest, I actually do think that K.Rool's status as forgotten and outdated is a thing mostly believed by the fandom, and not as much by Nintendo himself. K.Rool was acknowledged in Mario Odyssey without much fanfare, as if he was a natural part of Donkey Kong. His 4 trophy clearly compares him to Bowser, not even mentioning his abscene. Hell, his Mii costume was revealed as a Mii costume of a completely normal character, not treated as a big deal, return-from-the-dead kind of thing as the Geno Mii costume. I wholeheartedly believe Nintendo fully acknowledges K.Rool as Donkey Kong's prime foe, not even as a character needing a "revival". Like, the only thing Dixie Kong has appeared since K.Rool's absence is Tropical Freeze. Hell, the Koopalings had an even longer absence and they're now everywhere.

What I mean is, I don't think K.Rool's perceived irrelevance is as much of a big deal as a lot of people are making it out to be. It's not as if Donkey Kong had been getting tons of content and K.Rool has been unfairly snubbed. The general lack of Donkey Kong representation in Smash Bros has been an issue and I am absolutely certain the second Sakurai decided (hopefully) more DK representation was needed he arrived to the same conclusion we all did and got that Dixie and K.Rool were the obvious choices for new characters, and while I'd love for both to be in, if only one can make the cut, then K.Rool's popularity surely helped him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom