• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:

Ahh. . . It's good to be back. Support is still 100% there for good 'ole K. Rool, naturally.
Going to be fun keeping up with the fandom on the speculation and what-have-you of our Kremling overlord yet again.

Long live the King ~

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Hell yeah! Definitely add me to the spporters! Also, I've only played Donkey Kong Country Returns. But, I've seen people do movesets for him. So, I'll do what I can!

Side Smash - Similar to Wario's

Side Tilt - Crown Throw (Honestly, to me, it feels weird that people want this to be his Side Special to be Crown Throw. It just feels bland, as if you ran out of ideas. Which, I don't understand, because King K. Rool has so much moveset potential.)

A-A-A - Punches with the Boxing Gloves
Up Tilt - He swings a baseball bat over his head

Side Air - Similar to Mario's Side Air
Back Air - Similar to Bowser's Down Air

Neutral Special - Cannon Blast - Similar to Bowser Jr.'s but slower

Down Special - Ground Pound - Similar to Bowser's Down Special, but he doesn't go up as high

I'm so sorry! This was all I could think of!
I think putting the crown throw as a forward Tilt is an interesting idea. What would you then use as a side special?

On a side note I'd argue that using the ground pound is a far blander idea, but to each their own I guess.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I think putting the crown throw as a forward Tilt is an interesting idea. What would you then use as a side special?

On a side note I'd argue that using the ground pound is a far blander idea, but to each their own I guess.
I feel like the crown throw would work better as a Smash attack like Megaman's buster than a tilt

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
If the Krown Throw was used in a different move, I'd use the blunderbuss vacuum as a command grab for Side B. It would pull opponents in like Kirby and Dedede's Neutral B and load them into the gun, where K. Rool would shoot them out. I feel this is more interesting and that the blunderbuss swing that he does in DKC2 when he pulls you in would work better as an fsmash.

Last edited:

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
If the Krown Throw was used in a different move, I'd use the blunderbuss vacuum as a command grab for Side B. It would pull opponents in like Kirby and Dedede's Neutral B and load them into the gun, where K. Rool would shoot them out. I feel this is more interesting and that the blunderbuss swing that he does in DKC2 when he pulls you in would work better as an fsmash.
That's alot better than my idea. My idea for his Side Special would be where he grabs the opponent and bangs them against his stomach. I thought it would be called Konga Beat.

MetroLSD

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking, would summoning Kritters make for a good ability for his down-B? Something like Dedede's side-B in Brawl where he would summon Waddle Dee's and Waddle Doo's.

My idea was him summoning green and blue Kritters that behaved as the did in S,ash Run.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Hm, if K. Rool is going to use enemies, I think they should be more distinct than Kritter and also be able to mesh with his other moves in some way.

Maybe something can be done with Zinger, Klaptrap, Necky, Krac-Shot Kroc, Krook, or Kloak.
I'm not sure what though but I think they could have more interesting consequences in Smash Bros while not being that obscure.

Also speaking of polls, in a really huge one, K. Rool was #4 on reddit! K. Rool's still up there after all these years.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1o-l2YWOx5yNDw6c-sl3_sZAsOoFgh-piXJa1iCyvQ48/edit?usp=sharing

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I was thinking, would summoning Kritters make for a good ability for his down-B? Something like Dedede's side-B in Brawl where he would summon Waddle Dee's and Waddle Doo's.

My idea was him summoning green and blue Kritters that behaved as the did in S,ash Run.
It could work, but I think K. Rool has enough abilities himself to not need an enemy summon be a special move. The Kremlings are an important part of K. Rool's identity, being that he is one and rules the race, but I think their best place in K. Rool's 'moveset' would be if they showed up in victory animations. Maybe if instead of a kritter it was a zinger, I think things could get a bit more interesting.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
Hm, if K. Rool is going to use enemies, I think they should be more distinct than Kritter and also be able to mesh with his other moves in some way.

Maybe something can be done with Zinger, Klaptrap, Necky, Krac-Shot Kroc, Krook, or Kloak.
I'm not sure what though but I think they could have more interesting consequences in Smash Bros while not being that obscure.

Also speaking of polls, in a really huge one, K. Rool was #4 on reddit! K. Rool's still up there after all these years.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1o-l2YWOx5yNDw6c-sl3_sZAsOoFgh-piXJa1iCyvQ48/edit?usp=sharing
damn ! its very good...if you keep nintendo character only. he is 2nd after ....after..waluigi!

i want them both so bad...add Dixie and you got my top 3 :)

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think the Krown Throw will be a Neutral B attack, only because of Kirby and the Kirby Hat of K.Rool Kirby most likely having a crown.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:

We definitely all believe the default choice of a krown attack will be K. Rool throwing it as he does in the actual game of course (I personally see it assigned to either neutral or forward b), but for some reason (and yes, kind of by default I believe the Kings moveset will be created primarily with his King persona in mind) I keep seeing either a f-tilt or f-smash where K. Rool will grab his crown and thrust inwards, and then upwards for a multi-hit banana slammah. . . I don't know what it is, but something in my head just keeps prophesying it to me to see it this way, and it feels. . . Right.

Also I was thinking how in a lot of move-sets if you see K. Rool's down-b listed as a sort of ground pound (ala Bowser and Yoshi), it is unoriginal. . . But if that were to be the case, what if K. Rool's slammah was arched in direction? Harken back to the original DKC battle with me, where he jumps across the entire ship and then lands hard (and then cannon balls begin to fall, but those aren't really relevant at the moment). . . I wouldn't mind a slam / stomp / whatever that has an upwards arching angle (like a rainbow of sorts), and hits like a truck. Not being straight up and down would give it all the diversity it would need to be original from my perspective. . . And perhaps most importantly (debatable), I see it faithful to the character of K. Rool himself, of having an attack that he could / would do.

Basically, imagine Sheik's bouncing fish with a little more arch, but it hits like (or similar to) a Bowser down-b. . . Beautiful.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I just want Kaptain K Rool's moves slapped on the King's: Rocket thruster recovery, shooting cannonballs as a neutral, confusing/slow gas as a Side special, turning invisible for Down, vacuum command grab.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
So something interesting I got a Twitter alert saying that Retro Studios just started following the King K. Rool Twitter....... It could mean absolutely nothing but it could also mean something....

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So something interesting I got a Twitter alert saying that Retro Studios just started following the King K. Rool Twitter....... It could mean absolutely nothing but it could also mean something....
Really?! That’s great! Hopefully, that will mean something very good for us Kutthroats. It could mean nothing just as much, like you said, but still, this is awesome!

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Sorry, what do you mean? I checked and I'm not sure what K. Rool account you mean. I don't think they followed any K. Rool account recently based on what I'm seeing. However,they did follow Kremling Kampaigner (and so did M Kelbaugh which is probably more meaningful) a long time ago shortly after TF released. Which is a good sign!

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Sorry, what do you mean? I checked and I'm not sure what K. Rool account you mean. I don't think they followed any K. Rool account recently based on what I'm seeing. However,they did follow Kremling Kampaigner (and so did M Kelbaugh which is probably more meaningful) a long time ago shortly after TF released. Which is a good sign!

Check out King K. Rool (@KingKRoolReal): https://twitter.com/KingKRoolReal?s=09

This one, they just started following it today.... I got the alert this afternoon.

Unless Twitter just throws alerts out randomly at least they followed it today.. which is interesting because Retro hasn't been too active lately..

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Oh yeah. I think they followed that one, a King K. Rool fan account/roleplayer, a few years ago actually. I remember seeing that account before and seeing that Retro followed it.

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Oh yeah. I think they followed that one, a King K. Rool fan account/roleplayer, a few years ago actually. I remember seeing that account before and seeing that Retro followed it.
Yea I don't know how Twitters "started following" alerts work, if the account truly did start following it today or if the alert just says that.... it also said the Kremling Kampaigner account just started following that account today aswell.. so it could just be something Twitter says I don't know I haven't had it for long

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Yea I don't know how Twitters "started following" alerts work, if the account truly did start following it today or if the alert just says that.... it also said the Kremling Kampaigner account just started following that account today aswell.. so it could just be something Twitter says I don't know I haven't had it for long
Yeah, thats odd. I know for a fact Retro has been following kremling kampaigner for a long time, and I've never gotten a notification for other people following accounts (besides when they follow me). Anyways, still good to know that Retro hears the kremling demand loud and clear. Even if they don't make the next DK, hopefully they alert the new devs about how much the classic characters mean to the fanbase.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Yeah, thats odd. I know for a fact Retro has been following kremling kampaigner for a long time, and I've never gotten a notification for other people following accounts (besides when they follow me). Anyways, still good to know that Retro hears the kremling demand loud and clear. Even if they don't make the next DK, hopefully they alert the new devs about how much the classic characters mean to the fanbase.
All i know is I walked out of work today and I got a Twitter alert and it said "Kremling Kampainer and one other started following King K. Rool" when I opened Twitter to clear my notifications I saw Retro Studios was the other account that started following it. Again it could just be my lack of Twitter experience ha ha ha ha and maybe it's some Twitter tactic to get me to follow accounts.

But in my mind I was thinking hmmm. Retro just now decides to follow another K. Rool fan page and they decide to do it a few weeks before E3?...... Either way theyre following multiple K. Rool fan pages which in itself looks suspicious

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
All i know is I walked out of work today and I got a Twitter alert and it said "Kremling Kampainer and one other started following King K. Rool" when I opened Twitter to clear my notifications I saw Retro Studios was the other account that started following it. Again it could just be my lack of Twitter experience ha ha ha ha and maybe it's some Twitter tactic to get me to follow accounts.

But in my mind I was thinking hmmm. Retro just now decides to follow another K. Rool fan page and they decide to do it a few weeks before E3?...... Either way theyre following multiple K. Rool fan pages which in itself looks suspicious
So how many other K. Rool fan pages have been followed by Retro Studios? Either way, this does seem suspicious indeed.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I just want Kaptain K Rool's moves slapped on the King's: Rocket thruster recovery, shooting cannonballs as a neutral, confusing/slow gas as a Side special, turning invisible for Down, vacuum command grab.
I do see K. Rool utilizing some of the tools that he used in his past game appearances, but mostly in the form of special moves. The Blunderbuss would be the neutral special, while the helicopter pack would be the up special.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
So how many other K. Rool fan pages have been followed by Retro Studios? Either way, this does seem suspicious indeed.
Well without looking through all 900 something pages they follow, they follow 2 that we know of. The Kremling Kampaigner and the K. Rool page 2 is more than enough for me...

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529

This is definitely true. I've been having a gut feeling that K. Rool will finally show up at E3... Things have been too fishy as of late. That "Cant have 2 without 3!" post from Nintendo Italy a couple months ago, Donkey Kong being pushed harder as a brand as of late (granted, mostly because of the TF port), Retro's game getting closer and closer to being unveiled, complete radio silence about K. Rool during that podcast, and now all these K. Rool pages being followed by Retro, I just can't help but feel something is gonna happen soon.

Speaking of Retro's game, if it is DK, how would it differentiate itself from past entries? It could be just a straight sequel to TF, but I'm personally feeling they may be doing a 3D DK game. Retro was responsible for the TF port, so I doubt they would want to have 2 very similar games on the same system release very close to each other, and I remember that Kensuke Tanabe mentioned interest in a 3D game around the time of TF launching in 2014. Either way, I'm sure were in for something good.

MetroLSD

Smash Apprentice
Didn't Tanabe have a falling out with Retro? I can't see a new 3D Donkey Kong happening without his involvment.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well without looking through all 900 something pages they follow, they follow 2 that we know of. The Kremling Kampaigner and the K. Rool page 2 is more than enough for me...
I see. I remember back during the days of the ballot for Smash Bros 3DS/Wii U, someone who was one of us kutthroats said that they wanted King K. Rool to be part of the next Donkey Kong Country Returns game (the one that would come after Tropical Freeze) on Twitter, and Retro Studios themselves liked that person's tweet over on Twitter. Just saying, but if K. Rool is in the next DKCR game, they may have been planning this for a while, if you know what I mean.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
This is definitely true. I've been having a gut feeling that K. Rool will finally show up at E3... Things have been too fishy as of late. That "Cant have 2 without 3!" post from Nintendo Italy a couple months ago, Donkey Kong being pushed harder as a brand as of late (granted, mostly because of the TF port), Retro's game getting closer and closer to being unveiled, complete radio silence about K. Rool during that podcast, and now all these K. Rool pages being followed by Retro, I just can't help but feel something is gonna happen soon.

Speaking of Retro's game, if it is DK, how would it differentiate itself from past entries? It could be just a straight sequel to TF, but I'm personally feeling they may be doing a 3D DK game. Retro was responsible for the TF port, so I doubt they would want to have 2 very similar games on the same system release very close to each other, and I remember that Kensuke Tanabe mentioned interest in a 3D game around the time of TF launching in 2014. Either way, I'm sure were in for something good.

I've been feeling it would be a 3D game, a lot of fans have been asking for a 3D game for a while now... and yes Tannabe did say he could see DK going 3D in the future. Plus releasing the TF port wouldn't step on its toes because it would be a completely different platforming experience compared to TF. PLUS Reggie mentioed DK in that interview when Odyssey was coming out when he was talking about this formula Nintendo is doing with keeping games fresh and new but keeping them feeling familiar he mentioned Mario Odyssey, BotW, Metroid and Donkey Kong. Two games that launched one that we knew about as it was announced and DK.. and while the TF port had yet to be announced i doubt Reggie was referring to a port when refrencing to those other games. It wouldn't be the first time he dropped a hint to an unannounced game as he did the same with Smash in an interview about Nintendo's upcoming paid online service. We havent seen Retros game yet and it's been in development for 5 years already.... while many people believe it's a new IP I'd be hard pressed to say it's not DK related... rumors have been going around for years that David Wise was working with Nintendo and recently he was rumored to be in Texas at some point not too long ago. As far as I know there's no new music in the Tropical Freeze port so what was he working on, plus DKvine heard he was working with Nintendo in 2015 so he's been rumored to be working with them for a while... SOMETHING new for DK HAS to be coming...

Didn't Tanabe have a falling out with Retro? I can't see a new 3D Donkey Kong happening without his involvment.
That was an old Rumor i saw a while back on Nintendo Enthusiast but I never saw anything else about it. When I saw it I honestly thought it could have been about the use of the Kremlings in the next DK title maybe Retro wanted to appeal to the fans but Tannabe didn't want to use them and it caused a disagreement but maybe that's me giving the usage of the Kremlings too much credit ha ha ha but we havent seen anything with Tannabes name on it recently and I assume if he left he would have went to a different Nintendo branch and produced something BUT maybe he went with the Metroid series... so he could be working with Namco on Prime 4, which would mean he isn't at Retro and would have no hand in a new DK from them.

I see. I remember back during the days of the ballot for Smash Bros 3DS/Wii U, someone who was one of us kutthroats said that they wanted King K. Rool to be part of the next Donkey Kong Country Returns game (the one that would come after Tropical Freeze) on Twitter, and Retro Studios themselves liked that person's tweet over on Twitter. Just saying, but if K. Rool is in the next DKCR game, they may have been planning this for a while, if you know what I mean.
Yea, Retro certainly seems like theyre interested in using his character, maybe theyve been slyly watching what fans are saying in regards to him and have been seeing how much interest there is to his return. They have at the least been paying attention to the fan's in some capacity.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It's definitely super interesting that Retro's official Twitter account started following the K. Rool twitter. Didn't Retro's president Michael Kelbaugh himself follow the Kremling Kampaigner twitter back during the ballot days? I remember a big hullabaloo about that.

I'm skeptical of giving it a whole lot of weight just for it to turn out meaning nothing or just that Retro themselves is interested but is unable to do it or whatever (which I actually doubt, but fan fear is fan fear) but it's still really cool.

Would be amazing to get a DKCR3 with Kremlings + K. Rool in Smash in the same year. Let's keep the dream alive!

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
It's definitely super interesting that Retro's official Twitter account started following the K. Rool twitter. Didn't Retro's president Michael Kelbaugh himself follow the Kremling Kampaigner twitter back during the ballot days? I remember a big hullabaloo about that.

I'm skeptical of giving it a whole lot of wait just for it to turn out meaning nothing or just that Retro themselves is interested but is unable to do it or whatever (which I actually doubt, but fan fear is fan fear) but it's still really cool.

Would be amazing to get a DKCR3 with Kremlings + K. Rool in Smash in the same year. Let's keep the dream alive!
Yea Michael Kelbaugh did follow the Kremling Kampaign but I don't know if he still does.. I agree I'm not trying to jump in headfirst because your feelings are mine exactly that inescapable fear that all of it means nothing and we get nothing... but it's hard not to think that way with how things have been the last few years. Hopefully that's about to change

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I just checked with the website doesfollow.com and yes he does.

After all these years! And I don't think he follows just anyone. Retro's account doesn't either but if you notice, they actually follow a lot of random fan accounts, too. So Retro following an account isn't that meaningful. We got the big kahuna himself though. However, we don't really know what it means. We haven't seen Retro's game ever since that happened.

It could mean he heard us and he was hinting of what was to come.
Or it could mean that he heard us and in solidarity followed Kampaigner but they are working on something else.

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
Well it's just over a month until E3 so I guess we'll find out if all our Konspiracies come true.

EdwardSponge

Smash Apprentice
By this point I've been let down so many times through the years that all of this speculation has turned me into a lifeless husk. 5 years back I would have gone nuts over retro following a K Rool page but by this point my optimism has been crushed into tiny pieces.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I remember that happening in late 2014.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
By this point I've been let down so many times through the years that all of this speculation has turned me into a lifeless husk. 5 years back I would have gone nuts over retro following a K Rool page but by this point my optimism has been crushed into tiny pieces.
That's honestly how I feel. What if by E3 we get the confirmation of a new DKC game and it stars another batch of new enemies that aren't the Kremlings? And what if alongside that we get Smash news and no K. Rool either? What do we do after? If that point comes then my optimism will die right there and then. That's where I completely give up hope and accept he's never coming back. I'm honestly sick of getting my hopes up only to have it crash down on me. So many years of disappointment can do a lot to you.

I still want to believe that there's hope out there. Admittedly, I still have some left and I feel like this might be our best chance yet to see K. Rool get the spotlight again. But if all this comes crashing down then that's truly going to be a devastating blow to me and possibly many fans. It's especially gonna suck considering how it's not just us campaigning for this, but also various parts of Europe and especially Japan. So they'll be affected too. I just hope this is really our time to shine.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
it may be small...but am i the only 1 who think that its weird that DK got a nose surgery in Tropical freeze? maybe it's because they work on a DK project and they change that in the same time.

i don't know for you guys but i reallly want K.ROOl in both a new game and SMASH . so i speculate ALOT more than i supose to :p

i speculate about that k.rool post in odyssey too...

meanwhile... K.ROOL Won the
Smash Switch Most Wanted Newcomer Bracket Challenge

and dixie lose the consolation final.

https://smashboards.com/threads/sma...rst-party-final-results-posted.454282/page-13

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
So guys, I had an idea recently.

What if, and I know this seems highly unlikely, DKC TF gets DLC in form of a Kremlings-mode.

This swaps out all of the enemies to the Kremlings and old school DK baddies, like Zingers, while maintaining the overall level design.

Fredrick already is similar to K Rool, so why not go for a swap, regardless?

Which enemies would you like to see replaced? Which could be possible candidates to maintain the level structures? Which bosses would you like to see?

Curious to hear from ya!

Top Bottom