• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
I can see a scenario where there is no third party newcomer in this game. If they didn't choose to reveal one at E3 then I don't think there's a "big" one up their sleeve.
No way. There's nobody who can drive the hype more than a crazy third party.

StormC

Smash Hero
And who is the crazy third party? There aren't a ton of options left. Sakurai even admitted that after Cloud he sorta ran that well dry.

Enchess

Smash Lord
I wouldn't be so sure. Ridley was definitely meant to drive hype, but he isn't a big deal outside of Nintendo fans. E3 is the one time people who aren't big Nintendo fans pay attention to what Nintendo announces. It would be very stupid to hold onto a third party announcement until a Nintendo direct that only hardcore Nintendo fans will watch. I'm not expecting a third party at this point unless it's a niche one. Although I might be bias because I think there are way too many third party characters already.

StormC

Smash Hero
"There HAS to be a third party in Smash!"
"There HAS to be a retro in Smash!"

Fans think about these "rules" more than Sakurai does.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
"There HAS to be a third party in Smash!"
"There HAS to be a retro in Smash!"

Fans think about these "rules" more than Sakurai does.
Still, Retro or not, I believe there will be a Retro, despite whatever. NOT because it is a "pattern", but because I want more classic, historical Nintendo properties that has not seen the light of day, as someone else we both seem to care a lot for.

D

Deleted member

"There HAS to be a Donkey Kong character in Smash!"

Oh woops, I took it a little too far, didn't I? I'll see myself out.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470

"There HAS to be a NEW playable Pokémon character"

^
I think that's the one we lacked, but still ... There are no rules to what we need.
We GET what we get, and we better enjoy it, or take a chill pill.

StormC

Smash Hero

Not even really comparable. We have seen Sakurai share concern about franchise representation before (moreso in series being overrepresented than anything). I don't believe we've ever seen him state he considers retro and third party additions essential.

Plus lack of DK representation was one of the biggest complaints in Smash 4 and almost certainly appeared in many ballot votes.

I think it would be surprising if there is no new DK character but it's also not a "rule" either.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Kinda funny the Isaac thread doesn't seem to like K Rool.

I kind of feel like a lot of the remaining popular character have similarities between that sort of force a competing mentality on the fans

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
And who is the crazy third party? There aren't a ton of options left. Sakurai even admitted that after Cloud he sorta ran that well dry.
Literally any character you can think of that doesn't belong to Nintendo or an existing series in Smash can be your crazy third party.

Enchess

Smash Lord

I haven't read through all the pages of this thread, but I'm pretty sure no one considers that a rule... We definitely would've gotten Dixie or K. Rool a long time ago if there were any rules about DK representation.

D

Deleted member

I haven't read through all the pages of this thread, but I'm pretty sure no one considers that a rule... We definitely would've gotten Dixie or K. Rool a long time ago if there were any rules about DK representation.
If it's not a rule, then why does absolutely everyone expect a DK character to happen just because?

Last edited by a moderator:

AIM0001

Smash Lord
It’s game time baaaaaaaybeeeeee! LET’S GOOOOO

This is King K. Rools time! Also hoping for Gang Plank Galleon with Kaptain K. Rool theme from DKC2 added along with King K. Rool Theme. My hopes are as high as evaaah!

StormC

Smash Hero
Literally any character you can think of that doesn't belong to Nintendo or an existing series in Smash can be your crazy third party.
Then why weren't they at E3? I'm not saying we couldn't get someone like Simon Belmont, but putting Ridley forward was pretty much Nintendo saying "this is our biggest reveal to the world." Pretty much every E3 since 2006 had a third party reveal. Otherwise they would have dropped Sora or something.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Only third party that would exceed any big break out hype is Crash Bandicoot.
For hardcore N64 fans there would be Banjo Kazooie.
For the younger generation of gamers who are made for us to feel old, it would be Steve from Minecraft.
Not entirely Cloud impossible, nor Goku impossible, but impossible and would ruin my day in particular would be Master Chief.

Simon Belmont and Ray Man does not seem to have the same level as Crash. Therefore, I think Crash is the best alternative for a new 3rd Party, in my honest opinion and view, considering the current line of fighters. Does that make it more plausable for it to be Crash? Hell No. I'm not Sakurai, I don't make decisions.

Also, what is this I hear about Isaac supporters not liking K. Rool? I'd thought that if K. Rool was made playable that would bode well for Isaac's possible appearance? Both Isaac and Geno in particular will gain on this, and vice versa. That's the "Fantastic Four-Fan favourites", but they are only 3 now that Ridley left the grounds.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Then why weren't they at E3? I'm not saying we couldn't get someone like Simon Belmont, but putting Ridley forward was pretty much Nintendo saying "this is our biggest reveal to the world." Pretty much every E3 since 2006 had a third party reveal. Otherwise they would have dropped Sora or something.
Maybe they just don't want to blow their load from the start

StormC

Smash Hero
If it's not a rule, then why does absolutely everyone expect a DK character to happen just because?
Who is "absolutely everyone?" This is sounding strawman-ish.

The only reason I can figure people think a DK character is likely because the series has two very popular candidates for a newcomer and lack of Donkey Kong representation in 4 was one of the biggest sticking point for fans - and then the ballot gave them the opportunity to tell Sakurai that directly. Nobody is saying it's one of his "rules."

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
They don't always put these things at the forefront. Back at E3 2014 they featured the MIi fighters and Palutena in their direct but also revealed Pac Man a few days later at a very private event. Their big reveals don't necessarily have to be at generalized events or in Nintendo-specialized ones, they can still reveal stuff outside of them.

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I wouldn‘t bet on a 3rd party character this time around, Sakurai made it clear that having everyone return was top priority, so negotiations with all participating parties probably took up a massive amount of time. The only ones I kinda see possible are some of the choices owned by 3rd parties already represented, like Simon Belmont or Geno.

As for newcomers from the Big N, K Rool, judging by something I‘d call „time efficiency“, is a very likely candidate.
The Mii costume pretty much provides the team with a good design, and the assets necessary to create a new model.

So yeah, this really seems to be the best chance he got, by far

Enchess

Smash Lord
Because 'Everyone is back' plus Ridley makes it seem like fan service aimed at hardcore Smash fanbase is a particularly big this title compared to previous ones. People have been complaining for quite some time that DK seems to get pretty poor representation despite being one of the more recognizable Nintendo properties. Even Kid Icarus has better representation despite being more niche.

If Sakurai was going to pick even just two newcomers based on fan popularity and not relevancy, a DK rep seems like the most likely after Ridley.

D

Deleted member

Who is "absolutely everyone?" This is sounding strawman-ish.

The only reason I can figure people think a DK character is likely because the series has two very popular candidates for a newcomer and lack of Donkey Kong representation in 4 was one of the biggest sticking point for fans - and then the ballot gave them the opportunity to tell Sakurai that directly. Nobody is saying it's one of his "rules."
When I say "absolutely everyone", I mean "absolutely everyone in this thread".

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
With Inklings teased. And the current line-up of Nintendo first party All-Stars, the biggest names are already covered. DK has 2, Dixie Kong and King K. Rool, and Metroid had Ridley, which finally happened. Kirby got Bandana Waddle Dee left, and Mario has everyone ...

All-Stars comes from their impact, fan requests/love/service and how often they appear because they gain "popularity".

People were shocked Dixie did not make it in Smash 4 (me included), and there were a lot of krocodile tears fallen as well.
It's more of a shock that DK got nothing. No Assist Trophy, no playable appearence. Just a stage, which is weird as between Brawl and Smash 4, there was 2 Donkey Kong games which sold very well. For sure a DLC would be at it's place, but no, nothing ...

Now with Ridley, and Stage Toggles, and ALL veteran fighters come back, it makes sense to think that this time, Sakurai listens more to fan-requests, and DK newcomers have been on peoples mind as they freaked out, went bananas or gator crazy in the last game. Even non-DK fans feels it is time for DK and Metroid, and Metroid got their love, DK was naturally left.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Something I've thought about, though it doesn't guarantee K. Rool or anyone from DK by any stretch: the ability to sort characters by series on the website is a small accountability measure for how well those series have been treated on the roster. Of the series with multiple characters, it's just DK and Earthbound stuck with two characters, while everyone else has three characters or more. One could be forgiven for thinking they would want at least the appearance of each big series being well-cared for after all the content has been shown.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
View attachment 149802

This is why I don't think Ninten is gonna make it in.

Take Ness, switch his hat to the other direction. You get Ninten.

Ninten's villain is also Giygas.

Mother 2 is practically Mother 1 completely remade.
Wasn't Ness's design also specifically made that way so they could be the same character if you wanted? They left it intentionally ambiguous, so Ness may in fact be Ninten. So in all technicality, Ninten is already in...as his alter ego.

And I'm still hoping for the addition of a Cranky codec on Jungle Japes. He's sitting in the house! Open the window and snark the fighters!

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Something I've thought about, though it doesn't guarantee K. Rool or anyone from DK by any stretch: the ability to sort characters by series on the website is a small accountability measure for how well those series have been treated on the roster. Of the series with multiple characters, it's just DK and Earthbound stuck with two characters, while everyone else has three characters or more. One could be forgiven for thinking they would want at least the appearance of each big series being well-cared for after all the content has been shown.
On the website, when browsing the "By series" catagory, I find it so weird to see Mario, DK, Zelda and Metroid.
Everyone got their villain, except Donkey Kong.

Now. If it was; Mario. Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Wario and then Zelda. Sure, then it would feel a bit more unquestionable, but with the series being; Mario, DK, Zelda and Metroid, I think it's so weird that out of all those popular big franchises, DK falls so far behind. I know the series is placed in the vain of when their mascot debut in Smash, but still ... It would just make so much more sense, and feel so fulfilling to see more DK characters.

Rambi, fam?
Not every character has to have a playable, but there are a lot of people, including myself who would LOVE to see Rambi as an Assist Trophy. We got none for crying out loud.

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
sorry to ruin his fun, but lampy's just messing w/ you guys; he said so in the social thread. i hope he didn't get you all too flustered up.

But I'm genuinely curious now @ Crap-Zapper (would tag you but I'm not sure if you like being tagged), why do you think Dixie, KKR and Waddle Dee are All-Stars, but not Toad?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
This is pretty much the reason why I don't expect any third-party newcomer characters in the base roster in the vein of Sora or Steve from Minecraft.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
sorry to ruin his fun, but lampy's just messing w/ you guys; he said so in the social thread. i hope he didn't get you all too flustered up.

But I'm genuinely curious now @ Crap-Zapper (would tag you but I'm not sure if you like being tagged), why do you think Dixie, KKR and Waddle Dee are All-Stars, but not Toad?
You can, pal, no stress.

Toad is an All-Star, a very big one in fact. Perhaps the biggest Mario got left, but, if I were to mention All-Stars from Mario, I'd have to place Waluigi, Paper Mario, Captain Toad (outside of Toad), King Boo, Koopa Troopa. Now, Toad is like a B-lister. Paper-Mario, Waluigi and Captain Toad is C-lister, easily, and the likes of King Boo and Koopa Troopa are more of D-listers. One for being the main villain of a spin-off series, and one for big consistancy and publicity in merchandise, but does not carry a big role in series other than being one of the most recognizable common enemies there, but they are much more recognizable than say a generic Waddle Dee, or Doo. Just because Mario as a series is that popular. Now, I could say Goomba too, but that would prove my point in the first statement, Mario, because of it's recognizability, merchandises and bright popularity makes the characters known.

Which is why I did not mention Toad specifically, but I'd say he is the biggest one they got left. I placed Waluigi with Paper Mario and Captain Toad, for obvious reason, he is level meme god, but that's not the same as in the franchise itself.

Last edited:

EdwardSponge

Smash Apprentice
I'm sorry to bring this up as it is relatively unrelated but I've spent the last few days trying to figure out where the background of your profile image came from and only just realised that its

Captain America holding back Thanos

I'm so proud of myself.

D

Deleted member

I'm sorry to bring this up as it is relatively unrelated but I've spent the last few days trying to figure out where the background of your profile image came from and only just realised that its

Captain America holding back Thanos

I'm so proud of myself.
I think you may be the first person to have realised that, cheers.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't think the Mii costume is a guarantee at all.

However, it's clearly a sign that Sakurai knows there's demand for K.Rool.

So instead of seeing the costume as a sign that K.ROOL IS FOR SURE IN!

We need to see it as a foot in the door.

That's still a positive.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470

That's still a positive.
I feel there are a lot of people stating that there are a lot of people saying he is a shoe-inn, but I haven't come across that many, just a few.
Outside of Inklings, there are no shoe-inn's this time around. Even back before we knew anything, even Spring Man and Rex & Pyra where no shoe-inns. Neither is K. Rool, but as it is the character in question we talk about, we should definently not be overconfident, yet, as we have been let down before, but at the same point, we have never had this much going for us regarding the character. Therefore, I am more confident about his chances than ever before, but as said, no one is near a shoe-inn as the Inklings.

Still, wonder where all of these people are tho.

StormC

Smash Hero

That's still a positive.
But is anyone here actually saying it makes him a lock? All I’ve seen is speculation that he’s on Sakurai’s radar.

There’s nothing wrong with some confidence. I think we have a lot of reason to be confident. Our confidence should not be seen as a time bomb waiting to go off if he misses it.

Similarly if he does miss it people are allowed to feel disappointed. I sense a lot of people waiting for the other shoe to drop like us being disappointed (again) is bad or unhealthy or something. Why I can’t imagine.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I feel there are a lot of people stating that there are a lot of people saying he is a shoe-inn, but I haven't come across that many, just a few.
Outside of Inklings, there are no shoe-inn's this time around. Even back before we knew anything, even Spring Man and Rex & Pyra where no shoe-inns. Neither is K. Rool, but as it is the character in question we talk about, we should definently not be overconfident, yet, as we have been let down before, but at the same point, we have never had this much going for us regarding the character. Therefore, I am more confident about his chances than ever before, but as said, no one is near a shoe-inn as the Inklings.

Still, wonder where all of these people are tho.
They're in other threads lol.

Still think K.Rool's got a good shot.

He's the only villain really missing from the roster at this point so he still has my support.

Top Bottom