• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
I feel like the Ballot was our ticket and soon, we'll see our King return from the dead.

The brand new Mii costume, his street name in Odyssey, etc proves that he hasn't left Nintendo's eyes...

It's now or never, and I'm very confident that after fifteen years, his finest hour is coming soon!

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
During Smash 4, after the K. Rool mii costume was revealed, I imagined a K. Rool trailer going something like this. And if Mii Costumes return, this would be an awesome, albeit unlikely, reveal trailer:

Donkey Kong is fighting on Gangplank Galleon against... A Mii dressed as K. Rool.... and he's utterly destroying the Mii. DK is just wiping the floor with the Mii. After he hits the Mii with a fully charged neutral b punch, the Mii hits the ground in the laying down animation that signifies get up stun. DK has won! He beat his opponent! Screen scrolls off to the side, away from DK and the laying down Mii, and the "Kredits" role, to the jaunty first part of K. Rool's signature Gangplank Galleon theme.

Smash Bros. Lead Designer........ K. Rusha
Lead Artist.................................... K. Lump

et cetera, et cetera

And Special Thanks To .............. King K. Rool

By now, Gangplank Galleon is shifting into its heavy base line. Screen scrolls back to DK and... K. Rool now laying on the ground "defeated", completely replacing the Mii in the spot it had been in. K. Rool gets up triumphantly, signifying that the battle isn't over, before delivering a hearty Smash attack right into DK. Cue the K. Rool character Splash page (If they're still doing that for Smash Switch. Who knows?). At this point, the Gangplank Galleon music really picks up and we get an awesome montage of K. Rool wrecking other Smash characters.
I hope that whoever makes the Smash trailers sees this.

Btw, add me to the supporters list

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
You are right we need bluster Kong in smash thank you that gif changed my life.

Make him a DK clone but with a hadoken, a shine, Kong cyclone, and of course after burner kick.

K. Rool is his final smash obvi. ;)
No it'd be Leo Luster.

Anywho, I support King K. Rool. At this point I'd main him over King Dedede if they continue to ignore or nerf him even through a new iteration.

D

Deleted member

Loved the idea fir King K. Rool's trailer totally suits him, and would be something that'd be great!

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Well..here we go again.. Glad to see everyone back and better than ever. I'm still in full support of the King and have been doing so silently in the shadows. I will be taking more of a back seat this time around and keep the faith. Good to be back with one of the greatest, most passionate, and out-spoken groups in forum history.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Did you guys know that this existed?

And it's from 2012 going pretty far back.

D

Deleted member

King K. Rool for president? Honestly I'm surprised he hasn't tried to to take over and be President of DK's island yet.

D

Deleted member

Yes, in fact people posted this in the K.Rool for Smash 4 thread (which started in 2012 if i remember correctly)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yes, in fact people posted this in the K.Rool for Smash 4 thread (which started in 2012 if i remember correctly)
It's too bad the invitation K. Rool got at the end of the video was for Playstation All-Stars clearly.

That's why he and Snake aren't in Smash 4.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I hope every Smash 5 newcomer trailer follows the Inkling trailer where the characters look into the sky and through their pupil we see the demonic smash logo. Just imagine them doing that with K.Rool's dead eye. It's literally too perfect!

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I hope every Smash 5 newcomer trailer follows the Inkling trailer where the characters look into the sky and through their pupil we see the demonic smash logo. Just imagine them doing that with K.Rool's dead eye. It's literally too perfect!
It'd be hard to see the smash emblem with all that redness.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
There is something I have wondered ever since the Ballot ended. Why has Sakurai never brought up K. Rool in any interview or conversation ever?

This is the link to Source Gaming's article, "The List of Unused Fighters in Smash" (2016) regarding all Smash game rosters. From 64 to Wii U/3ds.
https://sourcegaming.info/2016/04/29/duflupdate/
(All Sakurai's answers to these many different questions begin with A: with the interviewer being Q:

What I am curious to death about is not seeing King K. Rool mentioned by the interviewers or Sakurai at all?! Why hasn't he been asked about THIS characters omission from the series? Not even once..?! Is there not a single person that has interviewed Sakurai directly that wants an answer on our beloved King as well?! Ridley, Geno, and quite a few others have been brought up to Sakurai which he then has to take at face value before answering the question.

Is there some kind of mysterious reason why King K. Rool has never been brought to his attention in person by a interviewing fan? Are the interviews hidden or has it really never happened?! Who knows. It kills me to think of how many opportunities have gone by where Sakurai could see face to face that the King is just as popular as someone like Ridley so we could get some type of clarification on this matter.

After scanning through the article, please let me know what you think and why you think this hasn't come to pass.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
There is something I have wondered ever since the Ballot ended. Why has Sakurai never brought up K. Rool in any interview or conversation ever?
Sakurai doesn't address characters who were considered/planned/scrapped from development. He even said so in a Famitsu article.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Sakurai doesn't address characters who were considered/planned/scrapped from development. He even said so in a Famitsu article.
He did say Ridley was considered at more than one point and still speaks of him, so I don't see why King K. can't get some light at the end of the tunnel. I honestly just don't think King K. is ever brought up to him in these columns which is pretty disappointing to be sure. I know King K. Rool was not made by Japanese developers. I wonder if that makes it harder to approach the idea. Maybe K. Rool is too *Tabuu* for him.

Last edited:

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
To piggyback off other making predictions for K. Rool's (eventual) trailer, I got my own idea here:

The scene opens up to a beautiful seaside view with the sun out and...wait, we hear rapid footsteps...almost as if someone or something is running at full speed. Then, we see Donkey Kong followed closely by Diddy Kong. They ran to the top of a cliff and look down at the ocean below their feet.

What is this? It's a ship? As the Kongs watch the ship "gently" sailing, they are ambushed by Kremlings. They manage to take them out and the Kongs stake out the ship. They wait for the perfect opportunity until the ship gets close within jumping distance.

Donkey Kong grabs Diddy and jumps down. As they set foot on the ship, they are immediately attacked by more Kremlings. After dispatching the enemies, Donkey and Diddy dance and start looking around. It's almost as if they are looking for someone...

As Diddy has his back turned, he's suddenly attacked and blasted away by a huge cannonball which knocks him into the sea. Diddy (cartoonishly) hurriedly swims back to shore as Donkey Kong looks on. DK looks back slowly, dramatically, and his expression turns into a scowl.

We see a foot...but it's green...and scaly...and...there's another foot. Is that part of a cape?

The camera pans up as we here maniacal laughter as the attacker is shown to be none-other than the Kong's arch-rival King K. Rool!

The splash [King K. Rool sets sail for battle!] appears on the screen as gameplay footage cuts in a beautifully rendered King K. Rool who starts showcasing some of his moves against Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, and other Smash characters. One of his taunts is shown to be laughter as he looks into the camera, a nod to his first appearance in Donkey Kong Country after he takes a hit.

When K. Rool grabs the Smash Ball, he starts laughing then he hops three times off-screen and unleashes the Kannonball Barrage! During this, cannonballs rain from the sky in the same pattern as in Donkey Kong Country. Donkey Kong is smashed off-screen and King K. Rool poses for the camera as the Smash title appears and dims.

"KODING - KLAP TRAP"

"KHARACTERS - KLUBBA"

"KREATIONIST - KING K. ROOL"

"THE END?"

The screen fades back in to King K. Rool standing by himself as he's soon approached by three other K. Rools wearing a pirate outfit, scientist outfit, and a boxing outfit. They start attacking each other as the screen fades to black.

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552

This is the link to Source Gaming's article, "The List of Unused Fighters in Smash" (2016) regarding all Smash game rosters. From 64 to Wii U/3ds.
https://sourcegaming.info/2016/04/29/duflupdate/
(All Sakurai's answers to these many different questions begin with A: with the interviewer being Q:

What I am curious to death about is not seeing King K. Rool mentioned by the interviewers or Sakurai at all?! Why hasn't he been asked about THIS characters omission from the series? Not even once..?! Is there not a single person that has interviewed Sakurai directly that wants an answer on our beloved King as well?! Ridley, Geno, and quite a few others have been brought up to Sakurai which he then has to take at face value before answering the question.

Is there some kind of mysterious reason why King K. Rool has never been brought to his attention in person by a interviewing fan? Are the interviews hidden or has it really never happened?! Who knows. It kills me to think of how many opportunities have gone by where Sakurai could see face to face that the King is just as popular as someone like Ridley so we could get some type of clarification on this matter.

After scanning through the article, please let me know what you think and why you think this hasn't come to pass.
My theory is, or what I hope for at least, is that Sakurai is very-much aware of how highly requested King K. Rool is. He helped create the brand new Mii costume from scratch as a teaser and used K. Rool's likely high ranking (I bet everything he made top 5 worldwide and maybe won in America and MAYBE Japan too) to determine his fan support...

Which is why Sakurai will add K. Rool into Smash 5 at the most unexpected time. While everyone is either expecting Dixie or no new DK rep, Sakurai brings back our king from the dead and directly says that his fan support was overwhelming and he added him after being impressed with his ballot placement. That's why he never mentions him at all, it's for the surprise factor.

This'll all be worth it in the end.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I can never be as optimistic as I once was, but things honestly just don't look like Jungle Japes anymore. Its been Gloomy Galleon for awhile now.. Feels like King K. would have to make a Stealthy Snoop passed Sakurai at this point.

Last edited:

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
To piggyback off other making predictions for K. Rool's (eventual) trailer, I got my own idea here:

The scene opens up to a beautiful seaside view with the sun out and...wait, we hear rapid footsteps...almost as if someone or something is running at full speed. Then, we see Donkey Kong followed closely by Diddy Kong. They ran to the top of a cliff and look down at the ocean below their feet.

What is this? It's a ship? As the Kongs watch the ship "gently" sailing, they are ambushed by Kremlings. They manage to take them out and the Kongs stake out the ship. They wait for the perfect opportunity until the ship gets close within jumping distance.

Donkey Kong grabs Diddy and jumps down. As they set foot on the ship, they are immediately attacked by more Kremlings. After dispatching the enemies, Donkey and Diddy dance and start looking around. It's almost as if they are looking for someone...

As Diddy has his back turned, he's suddenly attacked and blasted away by a huge cannonball which knocks him into the sea. Diddy (cartoonishly) hurriedly swims back to shore as Donkey Kong looks on. DK looks back slowly, dramatically, and his expression turns into a scowl.

We see a foot...but it's green...and scaly...and...there's another foot. Is that part of a cape?

The camera pans up as we here maniacal laughter as the attacker is shown to be none-other than the Kong's arch-rival King K. Rool!

The splash [King K. Rool sets sail for battle!] appears on the screen as gameplay footage cuts in a beautifully rendered King K. Rool who starts showcasing some of his moves against Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, and other Smash characters. One of his taunts is shown to be laughter as he looks into the camera, a nod to his first appearance in Donkey Kong Country after he takes a hit.

When K. Rool grabs the Smash Ball, he starts laughing then he hops three times off-screen and unleashes the Kannonball Barrage! During this, cannonballs rain from the sky in the same pattern as in Donkey Kong Country. Donkey Kong is smashed off-screen and King K. Rool poses for the camera as the Smash title appears and dims.

"KODING - KLAP TRAP"

"KHARACTERS - KLUBBA"

"KREATIONIST - KING K. ROOL"

"THE END?"

The screen fades back in to King K. Rool standing by himself as he's soon approached by three other K. Rools wearing a pirate outfit, scientist outfit, and a boxing outfit. They start attacking each other as the screen fades to black.
Nice trailer idea! I can picture this as a real thing.

Argh, the wait for more character reveals is gonna kill me... Hopefully the wait will be worth it.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace

I know it's been mentioned in the old support thread before, but I really do feel like the best way to portray K. Rool is to give him 8 Kostumes as alt colors rather than just alt colors. At least, I could think of King K. Rool. Kaptain K. Rool, Baron K. Roolenstein, King Krusha K. Rool, and I'd probably give him Kostumes based on Tiki Tong and Sir Frederik. I don't know what two other Kostumes he could wear though. If we really wanted to get obscure, I've seen people suggest he could wear his unused Aviator Kostume from the unreleased sequel to Diddy Kong Racing, a Kostume to which only concept arts exist afaik.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I think his kostumes should be:

Captain K Rool
Baron K Roolenstein
King Krusa K. Rool
Colors based on Krusha
Colors based on Klubba
Colors based on Kudgel
Colors based on Klump

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
I know it's been mentioned in the old support thread before, but I really do feel like the best way to portray K. Rool is to give him 8 Kostumes as alt colors rather than just alt colors. At least, I could think of King K. Rool. Kaptain K. Rool, Baron K. Roolenstein, King Krusha K. Rool, and I'd probably give him Kostumes based on Tiki Tong and Sir Frederik. I don't know what two other Kostumes he could wear though. If we really wanted to get obscure, I've seen people suggest he could wear his unused Aviator Kostume from the unreleased sequel to Diddy Kong Racing, a Kostume to which only concept arts exist afaik.
He could also use that pharaoh getup he used in Mario Super Sluggers!

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Never thought I'd be back...........

I don't usually hang on the boards unless there's speculation goin on... and boy did i hit the speculation jackpot.... we're back y'all.

I stopped by to throw my undying support to K. Rool but also to throw some food for thought out there...

Remember how much the Mii costume bothered us? I don't mean angry wise I mean all the discussion about how most of the costumes had assets taken from Smash or what not? I remember me and @Tortilla Noggin talking about quite frequently in the days of ballet speculation.. we always wondered why K. Rool got a shiny new outfit from new assets when there's a perfectly good K. Rool trophy they could have used to make it and call it a day.... well........

It's clear this new smash HAD to be in development alongside the DLC for it to be coming out this year. Dem assets for that K. Rool costume... had to come from somewhere. All I'm saying is... theres a chance...

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
Never thought I'd be back...........

I don't usually hang on the boards unless there's speculation goin on... and boy did i hit the speculation jackpot.... we're back y'all.

I stopped by to throw my undying support to K. Rool but also to throw some food for thought out there...

Remember how much the Mii costume bothered us? I don't mean angry wise I mean all the discussion about how most of the costumes had assets taken from Smash or what not? I remember me and @Tortilla Noggin talking about quite frequently in the days of ballet speculation.. we always wondered why K. Rool got a shiny new outfit from new assets when there's a perfectly good K. Rool trophy they could have used to make it and call it a day.... well........

It's clear this new smash HAD to be in development alongside the DLC for it to be coming out this year. Dem assets for that K. Rool costume... had to come from somewhere. All I'm saying is... theres a chance...
I like his chances this year... I think this is finally it. I feel like if he did good on the ballot and made it into Smash 5, I'll feel real proud because I voted for him.

We kroc'd the vote!

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Some very nice recolours were done by a member of this thread a while ago:

upload_2018-3-17_10-34-2.jpeg

Personally, I'm torn as to whether I'd prefer recolours or alt costumes for a single reason - I want King K Rool to have an absurdly zany moveset pulling from all of his appearances, and I wonder if that is less likely with alts. Most of the moves from the Kaptain/Baron can be pulled out from the nether but e.g. a crown toss move seems inconsistent for Baron K. Roolenstein.

D

Deleted member

I'm not sure if I really want any of his personas to be alts other than Kaptain K. Rool, because that's my favorite outfit for him.

Zeox

Smash Champion
But

King K. Rool is too big for Smash!
(I'm just kidding of course, I found this on a meme place)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Kaptain K. Rool, Baron K. Roolstein, King Krusha K. Rool all costumes I could see for K. Rool as well as influence from the Kremlings.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Jokes aside, still like the height comparison Zeox posted. King K. Rool’s SNES sprite is only a bit taller because of the crown, but it’s how I’d love to see both villains in Smash in relation to Samus and DK.

D

Deleted member

Ridley is the most wanted Smash newcomer and a huge Metroid character no pun intended he deserves in so does, King K. Rool main villian of the original Donkey Kong series, DK and Samus arch rivals respectively they both need in!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I will always support the king for smash

and that the mii costume is good sign of hope he will show up for this one (not a costume but playable character)

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Some very nice recolours were done by a member of this thread a while ago:

View attachment 138938

Personally, I'm torn as to whether I'd prefer recolours or alt costumes for a single reason - I want King K Rool to have an absurdly zany moveset pulling from all of his appearances, and I wonder if that is less likely with alts. Most of the moves from the Kaptain/Baron can be pulled out from the nether but e.g. a crown toss move seems inconsistent for Baron K. Roolenstein.
I mean, he could just hammer space his gold crown anytime he's not wearing it... Or maybe Baron just throws the top of his stitched-on head at people. You can't deny that'd be pretty zany.

If the Smash Bros. Team really wanted to throw us a love letter, they could do us a Little Mac where Rool has more than 8 colors, 8 being his default and 7 colors based on the other Kremlings in K. Rools army, then throw us at least a full Kaptain, Baron, and Krusha alts, totaling 11 colors. I'd love that but I'm not holding my breath that they'd go that far.

Last edited:

ZRoy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4868-5857
If King K. Rool was in Smash Switch what kind of moveset would you want it inspired by? From DKC 1 with his crown and cape? From DKC 2 as Kaptain K. Rool or from DKC 3 as Baron K. Roolenstein?? Or perhaps a combination of all of them?

(Or DK64 with his boxer getup for the wild ones out there)

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Obviously a combination of sorts. Draw mostly from the DK Country games, but also the 64 one.

I'd love for him to use both the Blunderbuss and Crown in some form or shape.

D

Deleted member

A combination of moves bkunderbusd claw attacks, jet pack ECT.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
If King K. Rool was in Smash Switch what kind of moveset would you want it inspired by? From DKC 1 with his crown and cape? From DKC 2 as Kaptain K. Rool or from DKC 3 as Baron K. Roolenstein?? Or perhaps a combination of all of them?

(Or DK64 with his boxer getup for the wild ones out there)
A combination - mostly DKC1/2 for specials and smashes, and DK64 for his tilts.

Just please don't give us a ground pound move...

Top Bottom