• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King K. Rool's Appearance

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
I was posting about this in the other thread, and it got me thinking that I would love to get everyone else's perspective on this; what do you all think of the design they went with? Personally, it's the one thing I don't love about him. I love his moveset, his animations, the way he sounds. Literally everything EXCEPT for the model. I think it's designed well, don't get me wrong. I've just never been a fan of the Paon model. I feel like the crown is too small, he looks more pudgy, his face looks flat and almost makes it look like he doesn't have a neck, and he barely has a tail. Plus, I grew up with the Rare model when I fell in love with the character, so I've always known King K. Rool that way.

Now, this is just a nitpick of mine. I am beyond thrilled that King K. Rool is finally a playable character in Smash! So I'm hoping no one here gets angry at me for saying I don't like the model. I am just curious to get everyone else's thoughts on how they feel about the design choice they went with. What you like or don't like about it, or what you would change if you could.

cybersai

Smash Ace
I think it looks well enough. It fits Smash and looks what and updated version of K. Rool to today's modern standards would look like. He also seems more animal like in that scene running on all fours, similar to how DK/Diddy are in the Retro games.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
I've always wanted a hybrid of the Rare and Paon designs, so I'm very happy with the way he looks. His model needs a bit of work though, his cape seems to clip through his chest and neck a lot. Hopefully that all gets tidied up in the final build of the game.

EDIT: Lack of tail is weird.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

He does have a tail it seems, it's just really, really small. You can see it whenever he lifts his legs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
I definitely agree that the model looks good enough. They put a great level of detail into it. I just would've loved to see them favor the original model more so than the Paon one. It especially feels somewhat off-putting since most of everything else from Donkey Kong represented in Smash is more so based off of the Country games, even more so now with them using the Klap-Trap as an assist trophy.

SilentSentinel

Smash Apprentice
I personally really like it. It seems quite clear now that the mii costume from smash 4 was the basis for him. The same design (mostly Rare based with a small tail and the blue jewel) was used for his Ultimate model. I know that some people didn't like him getting passed over, but looking back now it really feels like that Mii costume with it's unique design was the dev team saying "we heard you, just hold on a bit longer". I hope this general design is used for his future DK game appearances.

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
I personally really like it. It seems quite clear now that the mii costume from smash 4 was the basis for him. The same design (mostly Rare based with a small tail and the blue jewel) was used for his Ultimate model. I know that some people didn't like him getting passed over, but looking back now it really feels like that Mii costume with it's unique design was the dev team saying "we heard you, just hold on a bit longer". I hope this general design is used for his future DK game appearances.
How is this design mostly Rare based? The only thing about his model in Ultimate that resembles his Rare design is the gold plated stomach and darker skin. Other than that, it looks exactly like the Paon model. It's strange too, because now I'm curious why they didn't just use the trophy assets from Smash 4 to make his Mii costume instead of making it look like the Rare model if they preferred to use the Paon design.

SilentSentinel

Smash Apprentice
It's based on the Mii costume which uses elements of both. Gold belly and wrist armor, the eye tick is more noticeable than the Paon design (not as prominent as the Rare design, but especially noticeable in certain animations), scaly texture like the Rare design over the smooth Paon, narrower head instead of the froglike Paon head, small tail as a happy medium of sorts. The only especially Paon thing to me is the smaller crown size honestly

StormC

Smash Hero
I think my only real complaint with the design itself is I wish the red eye was more prominent. But it does bulge in certain animations.

Oh yeah, I wish the crown was bigger too. Especially since it's an attack.

I've never hated the PAON design and they did a great job beefing it up, while keeping the gold belly. I'd call this about an 80% win, design-wise.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
My personal viewpoint on the two designs is that the Rare design has a lot more distinguishing features (the crown, golden belly, the texture and colour) but suffers from somewhat weird proportions which the Paon design fixes albeit at the omission of a lot of things that end up making K Rool look a little like a giant frog.

To me it feels they mostly took the best parts out of either design. I'm very happy with it.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
I agree that I would have preferred the Rare design to be more prominent, particularly in the face. However, I think basing it more around the Paon design makes sense. The Rare design has very tiny legs, and a rather boxy torso. As such, it could have made his animations look a little stiff. Like, it's hard to imagine Rare K. Rool doing that kicking aerial that K. Rool uses in his showcase trailer. The Paon face was probably also easier to make expressions for I think, though I think that the Rare head could have been just as expressive with the right tweaking.

I expected them to make it a mix of Paon and Rare judging from Ridley, and I think it does work rather well. I wasn't huge on the Paon design because I thought that the fleshy belly looked weird for a croc, and his skin didn't look scaly at all. That along with the lack of a tail really did make him look like a frog. Ultimate not only gave him the golden belly, but gave him very prominent scales that are arranged in such a way that brings to mind an actual crocodile. His tail is a bit too small, yes, but it's certainly better than no tail at all, which would have made his rump look weirdly bare, like in the cartoon and Paon model.

My only gripes are: the fact that his his Krown looks a little small, it actually grows in size when he tosses it, and I think the size that it is when tossed would have been a nice size for his head; and that his head itself does look a little small in comparison to the rest of his body. It looks fine from most angles, but there are a couple of angles where I think it looks a little squished. I wish that they had his head stick out a little more. But I consider these gripes minor considering everything else they did right with the king.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I love it, personally. The darker green skin and the golden belly look stellar, and I think they did a good job making his face seem less froglike and more ferocious, like the Rare design.

He looks like a perfect balance of intimidating and cartoonish, which is exactly what I hoped for.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
Bros.png

I love how his cape and armour are torn and scratched. Almost like he left them lying around in his garage somewhere waiting for the call...

Groose

Smash Champion
Absolutely FANTASTIC. It went above my expectations. He's got his classic belly back! The cape looks nice in stills! His face is exquisite!

I also love his alt colors. :3

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Truth to be told, I don't quite like the design choice, but it fits real well with how they want to portrait K.Rool in Smash. Kind of a let down since the Mii Fighter costume was the Rare K.Rool design, but I think beggers can't be choosers. The whole savage nature of K.Rool seems to kind of fit better with the PAON design. And if we got to be realistic, King K.Rool's last appearance as a boss in a Donkey Kong game, was in DK Jungle Climber, and that was a PAON game (amazing game as well!). The last two installations of Smash ; 4 and Brawl- also have the PAON K.Rool as a trophy.

This is exactly getting what we asked for. K.Rool had to get in now, and there's no new design for him from a new DKC game. So what else did we really expect? Let's be happy we got him in!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Truth to be told, I don't quite like the design choice, but it fits real well with how they want to portrait K.Rool in Smash. Kind of a let down since the Mii Fighter costume was the Rare K.Rool design, but I think beggers can't be choosers. The whole savage nature of K.Rool seems to kind of fit better with the PAON design. And if we got to be realistic, King K.Rool's last appearance as a boss in a Donkey Kong game, was in DK Jungle Climber, and that was a PAON game (amazing game as well!). The last two installations of Smash ; 4 and Brawl- also have the PAON K.Rool as a trophy.

This is exactly getting what we asked for. K.Rool had to get in now, and there's no new design for him from a new DKC game. So what else did we really expect? Let's be happy we got him in!
It's not *entirely* the Paon design. The darker scale tone, the longer cape and the gold belly plate are all Rare. The eye also bulges appropriately in certain animations, unlike with the straight Paon design.

I think it looks like a good compromise of the two myself.

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
As someone who never played a game with K. Rool in it and only wanted him because I wanted to see his fans happy, I think the Paon influences used in this design were a much better choice than their Rare counterparts, except for the tail. I also like that the eye bulge becomes more and less pronounced depending on what he's doing.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
K Rool was my most wanted since 05 (and Ridley), DKC trilogy is a goat for me...and I LOVE his design. Idk if I'm just so happy to see k rool after 10 years of no one touching him, or what... But I love his leathery scales. I love his darker tone. I ****ing love his model!!

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
They did a great job! It takes the best aspects of the Paon model and gives us the tone, scales, and belly of Rare. Outside of maybe a longer tail, I wouldn't change a thing.
It's not just K. Rool- the models they took of Ridley and Simon are drawn from my favorite sources. They're really nailing the designs in this game!

D

Deleted member

I like it a mix of classic, and new but that's me. His classic is best, but this design might be my second favourite design, after. It is actually.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
The face is Paon all the way, shape and everything. The only thing that was changed was the skin tone and how obvious the scales were. I honestly don't think it could've been done better. The Paon face has always seemed the more sinister to me, he has a small tail, and he looks like perfect wallet material. The only gripe I have with it is that the armor doesn't have a divide down the middle, but that is the most negligible of negligible details.

That counter on the other hand...

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Absolutely FANTASTIC. It went above my expectations. He's got his classic belly back! The cape looks nice in stills! His face is exquisite!

I also love his alt colors. :3
I'm glad you're alive Groose

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
The Design is absolutely lit. The golden Belly is fantastic. Kinda makes me wonder if he gets something like „tough guy“...maybe „Belly armor“?

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I'm with you. I'm OK with what they did and honestly when I saw him back, I just put it aside, but I wish it was Rare K. Rool. I was wrong about it being Rare K. Rool, too. The supporters of the great Frog King Paon K. Rool were right.

At least if he returns in a future Smash game, it's possible he gets an update to a new design. The important thing is though now he's in.
Like a soon to expire loaf of bread on the clearance rack at the supermarket, he can't be returned now. He's Smash Bros' to keep. He's a Smash Bros VETERAN from now on. And he'll always have that base clamoring for him to come back. Yes!!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
He looks like I expected him to look in HD graphics. Kinda gross, if I have to be honest :p It is fine though, I like how his appearance clashes with the DK crew's furry appearance. Also, he gets his pirate hat and the blunderbuss in his (side?) B. What is not to love?

Last edited:

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
I love it, personally. The darker green skin and the golden belly look stellar, and I think they did a good job making his face seem less froglike and more ferocious, like the Rare design.

He looks like a perfect balance of intimidating and cartoonish, which is exactly what I hoped for.
My thoughts exactly. The only major problems I had with Paon's design was lack of golden plate, lack of tail and smooth scales and they were all solved now. The crown size looks fine and I don't find the tail as small as people say, just hard to see properly. His animations are fantastic and the bulging eye is spot on imo.

Like C cybersai said, it's what a truly nowadays modern K. Rool would look like. I don't get why people don't think it's based off the Rare design since most if not all of his main features are there (again, sure, updated to modern standards). Looks Rare enough to me!

Edit: Oh yeah, and every character evolves. It's not like today's Bowser is the same as 64 or Sunshine Bowser. Just be glad we got a good-looking K. Rool and that he's finally back (to kick some tail!), there's always room for improvement in the future, now more than ever because this could spark interest in reintroducing the Kremlings in the main DK games, Stop whining guys, it's a glorious victory no matter how you see it! ;)

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I love his model, I only have a couple minor nitpicks with it. Biggest one is the crown being so small. Overall, I don't get people commenting it looks like the Paon model. It looks far closer to Rare's model, but with some elements from Paon. It basically takes the best elements of both.

D

Deleted member

He looks like an updated variation of the awful TV show model and I love it.

ggamer77

Smash Cadet
NNID
ggamer77
Im loving his look. Its just what I would imagine an HD version of his Rare appearances to be. His red eye could stand out a bit more but that's a nitpick.

domriver

Smash Lord
I LOVE IT ALL. His BIG FAT BELLY, HIS EYEBALL, His KROWN, all of it. I was so happy to see him revealed. I teared up the music and looking at him just so beautiful. My new main. lol

Geno next please. LOL :D

Dario64

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7458-8194-6305
Never expected this day. Im pretty excited seeing his inclusion! His Design is spot-on kinda gives ne DKC Vibes. Which is probably was their goal.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Looks amazing to me! I always found OG Country K Rool to be really ugly despite liking the character. That thing has not aged well. That Smashified K Rool render? Oh yuck horrendous! This is the best he's ever looked as far as I'm concerned.

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
I love his model, I only have a couple minor nitpicks with it. Biggest one is the crown being so small. Overall, I don't get people commenting it looks like the Paon model. It looks far closer to Rare's model, but with some elements from Paon. It basically takes the best elements of both.
I think it certainly favors the Rare in model in certain characteristics, such as the skin color, gold plated stomach, etc. I think where it absolutely does not favor the Rare model is in the face and proportions.

I find myself slowly warming up to it overall, but it's really just the face for me. I really liked the more pronounced the face, the eye being more red and larger, and the crown being larger on the Rare model. Those were always some of my favorite features of King K. Rool.

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
He looks cool, and his face is much more "crocodilian" than the Rare design so I prefer it this way.
Don't be mad at me, but although I love K.Rool, I've never been a fan of the King design from DKC1, I find it too simplistic.
I much prefer the Kaptain look, so I do hope he will get outfits.
It is sad they did not show any, Ridley had one.
His moves change his look too, so I don't know if they bothered making alts for him...

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I think he looks awesome, I can see elements from the PAON and Rare looks, the PAON look is more prominent in his design. I think his design was done purposefully I believe that this design is more fitting the overall design of Mario characters and we could see him marketed more alongside of them. Many of Sakurais designs for characters have been used outside of Smash. I think K. Rool was redesigned with the purpose of making him fit with other Mario characters thus allowing them utilize him in other games more.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Another detail I noticed recently is that his eyes on his current look actually look identical to his original DKC model..
king2-1533740845035_1280w.jpg

The more I look the more OG K. Rool I see
King_K._Rool_-_Sidewards_Artwork_-_Donkey_Kong_Country.png

Top Bottom