• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King Dedede's Ledge Grab Options

Royale

Smash Journeyman
Code:
[SIZE="5"]King Dedede's Ledge Grab Test[/SIZE]

Performed at Final Destination, either side.  Using Standard, Dash grabs, Pivot grabs.

MetaKnight

-Standard Grab: YES [Must be right next to]
-Dash: NO
-Pivot: NO

Kirby

Luigi

Mario

Donkey Kong

Ice Climbers [together]

-Standard Grab: YES [Must be right next to] -- Popo is grabbed first.

Ice Climbers [Popo alone]

Olimar

Pikachu

Squritle

Ivysaur

Charizard

-Standard Grab: YES [must be right next to]

Jigglypuff

Ness

-Dash Grab: NO

Lucas

Videos of Dedede's Ledge Grabbing

PART 1

MetaKnight; 0:00 - 0:58
Kirby; 0:59 - 1:54
Luigi; 1:55 - 2:59
Mario; 3:00 - 4:13
Donkey Kong; 4:14 - 5:25
Ice Climbers (Together); 5:26 - 7:56
Ice Climbers (Popo alone); 7:58 - 9:09

PART 2

Olimar; 0:00 - 1:52
Pikachu; 1:53 - 3:46
Pokemon Trainer; 3:47 - 5:39
Jigglypuff; 5:40 - 7:26
Ness; 7:27 - 9:24
Lucas; 9:25 - 10:07

--- Credit goes to whoever, i dont know if im the first to figure this out ---

-- Due to the mechanics of how shield-canceled grabs work, you should also be able to shield-cancel, then grab them off the ledge. Remember their invincibility frames must be GONE and you must be RIGHT next to them in order for it to work. Just make sure you shield after the dash. Dont dash grab, since it doesnt work.

Uthrow i found some useful combos for, but only at very earily %'s. Dthrow, Fthrow -- prolly will be dependant on where your opponent deicides to go based off of the ending animation of both throws. Bair, Fair, ftilt, dtilt, utilt sound good. Nair might be fine if they're a heavy. Reason I Uthrow'ed a bunch was so i could set him up for some combos at the ledge. It kinda feels like you can almost use the ledge to 'trap' your opponent into some nasty combos.

Its kind of ironic, isnt it? Alot of Dedede's 40:60 match-ups here appear in this list. Should it be any surprise? Well all of these characters have stubby short arms, are low to the ground, are small but the big kicker here is their massive heads. They share common characteristics which what makes them be viable for getting Ledge Grabbed.

Another fun fact
; Olimar can grab all of the characters listed above, using all forms of grab, including G&W which Dedede cannot grab.

Dedede's LedgeGrab to ChainGrab Video

IceClimbers (Together); 0:00 - 0:28
IceClimbers (Popo alone); 0:29 - 1:45
Donkey Kong; 1:46 - 3:20
Mario; 3:21 - 4:24
Ivysaur; 4:25 - 5:00
Charizard; 5:01 - 5:49
Ness; 5:50 - 6:20
Lucas; 6:21 - 7:00

So theres a problem i found with Bthrow in that the opponent falls down. This means you cant ChainGrab them. In order to correct this, i uthrow>Bair>bair, then regrab them when they hit the platform. Once i Bair'ed them this would fix the problem. Because the opponent would land on the platform up right ready to be ChainGrabed.

I also Dash, Shield-Cancel Grabbed in this video to demonstrate that it can and does work at the ledge. Also used Shield-Canceled Grabs and dash grabs while ChainGrabbing too.

IF THERE ARE ANY ERRORS/PROBLEMS LET ME KNOW. I'm always a PM/MSN/AIM away if you need me.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
Ah man, thiis some sweet stuff right here. Props Royale for doing the data and the video.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Does this work for Shield-canceled grabs (aka. Dashing Shieldgrab)?

Royale

Smash Journeyman
Man if you think that a grab off the ledge to a CG is nasty. I got a 6 minute video of me on Falco doing this to MetaKnight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYoRXy8ZgQk

@Gates; Anything involving a DASH GRAB did not work for me. But let me try it out since i know when you shield cancel you do STOP then perform a standard grab so let me see real quick.

edit: Yes Gates, it did work. Just run, shield then immidately grab. Only thing is you must be RIGHT next to them in order for it to work. If you stop short you will miss. But thank you for bringing this up, i shall add it to the OP.

Royale

Smash Journeyman
Update: Included a video with ChainGrabbing after plucking opponent off the ledge.

So theres a problem i found with Bthrow in that the opponent falls down. This means you cant ChainGrab them. In order to correct this, i uthrow>Bair>bair, then regrab them when they hit the platform. Once i Bair'ed them this would fix the problem. Because the opponent would land on the platform up right ready to be ChainGrabed.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
This thread is full of win, too bad Olimar has a more broken grab range than DDD. :/

Top Bottom