• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Keroro Platoon Presents Invasion Results

Hael Phael

Smash Ace
So I wanna thank everyone for coming out, I'm sorry this results thread took me so long, I won't be able to post this for the rankings unless I go put it in challonge which I will do if you guys want but idk how relevant that actually is, once again I'm sorry for things running long but I hope everyone enjoyed themselves.

Brawl Singles (13 Entrants)
1st KERO
2nd The Smile
3rd Ralph Cecil
4th Luminoth
5th sneakytako
5th twig
7th Sombra
7th Shadow the Past
9th Fatty
9th AM
9th Hael Phael
9th Blindman
13th Adam
13th Dustin Caudill

Brawl Doubles (8 teams)
1st Ralph/Smile
2nd Kryp/Twig
3rd Tako/Luminoth
4th Past/Sombra
5th Kero/Phael
5th Blindman/Fatty
7th Ogie/Chris
7th raiden/Nacho

Melee Singles (24 Entrants)
1st Jiano
2nd Broverdose
3rd Luigigoshard
4th Goodin
5th Sorasin
5th Amazerommu
7th Sneakytako
7th Luminoth
9th Ogie
9th Slim
9th (a name i can't decipher from the bracket image)
9th bananasteve
13th alpaca
13th Sam
13th Ralph Cecil
13th tarchwood

Melee Doubles (10 Teams)
1st Jiano/Luigigoshard
2nd Tako/Luminoth
3rd Sorasin/Slim
4th Broverdose/Brogan
5th Trud/Jaycob
5th Goodin/Amazerommu
7th Ralph/Phael
7th sam/tyler
9th raiden/braden
9th bananasteve/tarchwood

Project M Singles
1st Sneakytako
2nd Eric Stratton
3rd The Smile
4th Broverdose
5th Goodin
(from here I have to get the rest off the bracket Tako and I drew I'll get this later sorry for the trouble)

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Dude I don't have the bracket, I only made the PM bracket.

Edit: Misread the note.

So, I have a few things I need to say before this thread becomes a ****storm of complaints.

First, thanks for hosting the tournament, it was good to see KY again after so long.

Now, to everyone who has a complaint about how the tournament was run, I declare that you have NO right to direct your complaints toward Hael. While it was painfully obvious that Hael bit off more than he could chew, NO ONE decided to step up and aid him rather than complain other than myself, and a few KP members I roped into helping. You only have yourself to blame for not seeing the problem and doing everything in your power to help make the tournament run faster.

That being said, there's a few items that need to be addressed.

1.) Too many events
Hael I know you have experience running brawl tournaments but this should have been an eye opener for running multiple events. I won't go into much detail but you really have two options: run less events (Aka segregate brawl or melee) or have tremendous amount of preparation to run multiple events simultaneously. This includes having more staff, having more TIO laptops to independently run events, capping the amount of events one person can enter, having dedicated SD cards as spares to run PM, etc etc.

2.) Preparation VS Participation
Hael, this is problem I remember at your old brawl in the halls, but you always underestimate playing in a tournament that you TO. I'm not saying it's impossible, but you can't be mad at people who ask questions about the ruleset when you are the only TO. The biggest thing you needed to do was print out multiple copies of the ruleset/stagelist and place them at every table/setup. This would eliminate the need for people to approach you for rule questions and allow you to play in peace. Other than that you need more staff, but I covered that already

3.) Standing Your Ground
While it is your responsibility to make the tournament run successfully, remember that you also have the authority to make the decisions that allow you to run your tournament successfully. I still believe that running pools for PM was a mistake; at the point that PM started it should have been clear that there were not enough setups/available people to make the PM tournament run smoothly. Don't be afraid of backlash; take executive control and tell people you've made a decision. Ultimately they might be upset initially, but looking back they will probably come over if the situation called for such a decision.

Ultimately I had a good time although it took way longer than my car had expected, but I'm glad I came down. Don't get too upset over this and live and learn.

Last edited:

KERO

Smash Journeyman
While it was painfully obvious that Hael bit off more than he could chew, NO ONE decided to step up and aid him rather than complain other than myself, and a few KP members I roped into helping.
Actually, pretty sure I stepped up for Hael first so he could play matches and ended up roping Twig in when I ended up holding up the bracket because Hael had to finish up some matches. That said, you did volunteer to watch it while Twig and I had to play our set.

Either way, no matter how that went down, good stuff to everyone who tried to help out when Hael needed a breather. If you decide to run another tourney, we should definitely try to have KP/KA rotating on a set interval to manage the bracket/do other stuff if needed.

Shoutouts later, great tourney, hope you didn't lose too many years from this Hael.

Major edit cause I derped: Nvm what I said; you did help Hael with seeding and stuff way before Brawl bracket started. Idk if any KP people did, though (Twig?). Kinda wish I knew how to seed brackets.

Last edited:

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
KERO: Good to see you, thanks for the money matches. It was actually nice to see that my Diddy did well against you on FD. Maybe one of these days I'll actually be able to take a game off you :p
The Smile: Thanks for coming along. I probably shouldn't have gone Diddy game 5 in our set, but I didn't want to fight your Diddy again! But I probably had a better chance with MK, either in the ditto or if I got lucky and was able to gimp you. Either way, good games, and nice on 2nd in two brackets.
Ralph Cecil: We go to all these tournaments together but barely friendly and never money match lol.
Luminoth: Good games in bracket. Not gunna lie, I was kinda salty after losing to you, cause I did not expect you to still be so good at this game, haha. But it was a fleeting moment, you had quite the hill to climb to get 4th place, and I was cheering for you against Ralph (shhh don't tell him)
sneakytako: Good to see you, salty we didn't get to play but I pretty much figured you were busy with brackets all day lol.
twig: Good to see you, and thanks for the money match even though I got bopped lol. I swear every time we play your skill level just pulls further and further ahead of me.
Sombra: Thanks for teaming, and it was awesome to see you come out. I definitely friendlied you more than anyone else, so I'm glad we didn't meet in bracket to have to take one another out, haha. Hope to see you again soon.
Fatty: Good to see you, we didn't really talk much lol
AM: Good games in pools, our matches were really close, and you totally bopped my Marth lol. I definitely can't sleep on you. Keep at it.
Hael Phael: Thanks for hosting, we didn't get to play though.
Blindman: Good to see you, and good games in bracket. I could tell you were feeling down after our set so I felt bad D:
Adam: I was so scared of falling into that Usmash lmfao.

Shoutouts to Random Ditto money matches.
Shoutouts to eating junkfood all day
Shoutouts to playing Sombra in a million friendlies and being a super chill doubles partner lol
Shoutouts to Melee/PM players liking the character select screen hack on my Brawl setup <3
Anti-shoutouts to not placing Fifth :( #ForeverFifth
Anti-shoutouts to almost taking the wrong TV home lol

This is the last KY tournament I'll be able to attend until late August, since I'm moving back home for the summer. I doubt I'll be going out of my way to attend any far away tournaments (farthest I'll probably go is ~2 hours).

This is the part where I start mindlessly typing lol.

One thing that really irked me about this tournament (not to single it out) was the amount of MK dittos I saw. I've always gone back and forth about the MK ban, but after this tournament I realise that it needs to be addressed, although this is definitely not the first tournament like this. The skill gap in KY seems to break down into three groups of: Top level players with unique mains and usually a pocket MK (usually those in top 3-5 in most brackets), medium level players who almost all main MK and have some secondary (around top 5-9), and lower level players (relatively speaking) who play the character they want and don't worry about trying to win with MK (everyone else). To me, this isn't a skill gap many players want to try to break through, solely because of the MK infestation. I wouldn't want to bring a new player to a tourney and say "Hey, look at all these MK's you've gotta beat". Kero and I talked a bit and he mentioned how he's against the MK ban because of how it would affect our performance OoS (since nobody else bans MK) because we wouldn't know the MK matchup anymore, which is a fair point. However, I don't think that we should ignore the MK issue entirely. I think we need to implement something to encourage players to play other characters besides MK, something like a "soft ban", something where it's discouraged from playing MK, but you won't get punished for it. I don't know what we could do other than say "pls dont play MK", but it's just something I want our community to think about. I recommend reading this part of a book about banning stuff in competitive gaming (skip to "The Two Excellent Examples of Super Turbo" section if you're too lazy to read it all): http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/what-should-be-banned.html

This tournament really got me thinking, and there's a lot more fairly unrelated stuff I want to write about, but it'll just wind up with me babbling. Over the summer, I'm going to debate over my stance in the Brawl community as a whole and what I'm wanting to do for this game. I love this game more than any other, but I shouldn't just support it blindly if there's no structure to support. I'm not going to quit, I'm not going to play P:M/Melee, I just need to reevaluate whether this is a game I'm willing to sink hundreds of more hours into just for the sake of hopefully beating a few of my friends at a tournament.

Just felt like getting that out there lol. Thanks for hosting Hael.

Last edited:

Broverdose

Smash Rookie
Shoutouts to Brogan for housing and being awesome in doubles
Shoutouts to the venue being sick
Shoutouts to the crew for taking top 5 melee and most of pm
Shoutouts to Eric for taking out squirtle for me, knew you would.
Shoutouts to Tako, ggs in our mms, they went how I thought they would.
Shoutouts to overly photogenic sleeping guy on the couch.

Last edited:

OldAnthem27

Smash Journeyman
Sombra here....

Firstly, thank you, Hael, for hosting this tournament. The absolute ONLY time I get to practice with good smashers is at tournaments. It's definitely difficult to progress my game only getting that bi/tri-monthly practice in. That being said, I am not altogether disappointed with my performance, but I still believe I could've done better. If anything, this tourney made me realize how incredibly inconsistent I am as a player; I either play well, with a lot of momentum, or I entirely sandbag. I need to work on this consistency issue--it's the only way I can be a persistent threat. Anyway, shoutouts:

KERO: Good job placing first. Playing against Olimar is always a challenge for me, but I feel like I was getting the hang of the matchup. Like I said above, it's all about my lack of consistency--I need to keep constant pressure with the bananas. The next time we play I'll be able to take more than one game off of you! ;-) Anyway, it was nice chatting with you! You seem like a cool dude with a lot of ambition, and I respect that. I look forward to meeting again. Oh, and thanks for recruiting me into the Keronian Army, haha!

Smile: We really only played in brackets, didn't we? That's a shame, because I wanted to play you more. I enjoyed our singles matches. Next time, though, let's play some more. I'm not fond of the Diddy ditto, and I am certainly not crazy about going against Meta Knight, but it would be fun nevertheless. And next time, watch out, I will be better!

Ralph Cecil: We only played a few friendlies and in doubles. I remember we used to play each other a lot more during tourneys. Next time, let's play more. My Kirby was doing surprisingly well against other smashers, but for some reason I couldn't get the matchup even a little bit against Snake. Maybe next time.

Luminoth: Okay, it's a tradition for us to say that we'll play each other, but it's also a tradition for it to never come to fruition. Again, this happened. Next time we are the same tournament, we WILL, play some friendlies, even a money match if you wish. Good job on your placement!

SneakyTako: I definitely wanted to play you more. I feel like I was playing up to my potential during our pool matches, but I definitely sandbagged during the actual bracket matches. No matter. You are definitely the most laid-back competitor I've ever seen or played against--it can be a little disconcerting at times, haha! Anyway, I look forward to seeing you again, and playing you more, and perhaps for an extended period of time.

Twig: Firstly, I was alarmed to see you beardless, haha! I enjoyed playing you at Shuffle and I enjoyed playing you here. I don't know if we ever had our money match, but I know we played numerous friendlies. I actually rather enjoy going against Wario as Diddy. I hope we have the chance to play each other again! Maybe we can do an official money match then.

Shadow The Past: First of all, thanks for always playing me in friendlies. I want to play when I go to tourneys, and you're always willing, so thank you. Anyway, your Diddy Kong is solid! Frankly, I just wasn't expecting it. I'll sharpen up my Kirby and I think we can have some fun matches with the two. Thanks for trying to show me the infinite, too. I know I didn't get it, but I'll just have to try harder. Whenever we get to team again, I know we'll do better. Always nice to see you!

Kryp: Your Pit is so good! It's always an awkward fight for me, because I never play good Pits, haha! Anyway, thanks for the money match, but I am a little salty that I SD'd in our last fight. Good job taking my team out in doubles!

There are a few players I'm not sure I played or not. In particular, a Marth (I believe Adam or AM?). Keep practicing, you can definitely be a real threat soon enough.

Finally, Hael: THANKS FOR THE TOURNAMENT. PLEASE HOST MORE BECAUSE I ONLY GET TO PLAY GOOD SMASHERS AT THESE TOURNAMENTS.

That is all.

~ Sombra

Last edited:

Brittleorgans

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0946-3139-5325
Shout out tiem!!!!!!11

KERO - No KP top 2 sorry but it's not like I got my hopes up or got too cocky just got my ass whooped which happens. Tripping is stupid. THE END!

Ralph Cecil & Smile - If I team with Kryp again at an event and we play you two I actually have plans. Yes, you read right, planning seems to work so well for you guys so...Boom.

Luminoth - Our bracket set. There was a lot of Y's in it, like when you died off the top at Lylat. Seriously wtf? Then I just die at the end all so sudden leaving the match kind of empty. Don't think you'll get by me so easily in bracket next time. Also quit killing my teammate so early in doubles. :)

Sneakytako - I thought you weren't gonna enter Clayfighter63. I was all "Wut?" We didn't play but I bet I wouldn't get hit by short hop auto canceled nairs hmmm much.

Twig - YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Sombra - I feel the same way about Diddy Kong v Wario MU it's generally hype and it's true I have a problem where I don't sit down and play money matches or friendlies. (who does that?)

Shadow the Past - I think I had all the luck in those random ditto's. You have more characters under your belt than me for sure anything non-Wario is bad for me. Side note: Nuuuu, I'll never see you again cuz ur movin ;-;

Fatty - Heyo, we only played in doubles but that's like the most fun event. Swag :I

A.M. - Play moar Braaaaaawl smfh

Hael Phael - You and Kero, legit scaring me in dubz. Good tournament, hope you didn't lose too much sleep.

Blindman - Yooooooooooo! I didn't see you on the attending list it had been so long.

Adam - You ain't gonna see this but nice job getting an upsmash kill on Shadow the Past whoop whoop.

Tripping - I don't like you, go away.
Banana's - You're also dumb, leave as well.
1-stock - I don't think I like you, you're free to come and go as you please for now.
Wario - Best character in Brawl.
Self destructs - Worst strategy in the game.

Hael Phael

Smash Ace
I wholeheartedly agree with all of your criticisms tako, I'll be sure to prepare better and make sure that I have the proper structure before I try to participate, the number events weren't as much the issue imo as opposed to my lack of firm structure on the timing but it's something I'll remedy for next time, I'll get a date for the next tourney in the series as soon as I get a chance and I'll do my best to get some shoutouts going.

Top Bottom