• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ken Combo? Spike Set up?

tw0 side

Smash Apprentice
Hello, I am new to the smash boards and was looking for some information on this combo. As you can see, I use Marth. I was looking for a combo that sets Marth up for a spike. I have heard about the Ken combo but have new found the exact buttons it uses. Does anyone know what the Ken combo is, or another combo that will set Marth up for a spike?

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Any version of a fair (forward air) to double jumped dair (down air). If you want more information just look through the pages as there is about 50 posts like this one where people comment on this combo.

(/.\) shield's his eyes from the flames.

tw0 side

Smash Apprentice
Any version of a fair (forward air) to double jumped dair (down air). If you want more information just look through the pages as there is about 50 posts like this one where people comment on this combo.

(/.\) shield's his eyes from the flames.
Thank you alot, and sorry for foregtting to search before posting.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Fair, Bair, Utilt and Dash attack are all setups
Dash attack is only a setup if you sweetspot it and they DI away from you, popping them straight up. You can use this at the edge after FThrow, since smart people who aren't expecting this will DI away and down. Ken abused this against Azen in one MLG, if the rumors are true.

Against certain characters (such as Bowser and Marth) you can easily follow up the first Dancing Blade with DAir. In fact, at around 100% in training mode on Fox and Falco, l-canceled sweet-spotted UAir -> double-jump -> Dancing Blade 1 -> DAir (no jump afterwards) is registered as a combo. Also, if you space it properly, you can intercept opponents with Dancing Blade -> DAir, because if they're not expecting it they'll be DI'ing upwards, where you want them to be.

julealgon

Smash Rookie
Against certain characters (such as Bowser and Marth) you can easily follow up the first Dancing Blade with DAir. In fact, at around 100% in training mode on Fox and Falco, l-canceled sweet-spotted UAir -> double-jump -> Dancing Blade 1 -> DAir (no jump afterwards) is registered as a combo. Also, if you space it properly, you can intercept opponents with Dancing Blade -> DAir, because if they're not expecting it they'll be DI'ing upwards, where you want them to be.
This Dancing Blade > DAir does sound like a very good idea. I will try messing around with it, thanks for the tip.

Zephynazo

Zobaia -Deus- Ariana
A Ken combo can be kinda alot, i heard that if u do a fair, and a spike after that its a "Ken combo", donno if its true tho.
But many ppl also say, fair fair fair fair dair.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
The easiest way to get a ken combo is 2 steps. Fair->Dair. there is an easy way to practice this. Go play a lv 1 comp with infinite time in melee mode. Get the comp's percent up to around 70-80%, and then fthrow them off the edge. They will try and jump back on the stage. Not the ledge, but the stage. When the comp is in the middle of trying to jump back up, jump off the stage and do a fair, then jump up again and do a dair. After your dair connects, move the control stick in the direction of the stage. If you do it right, you won't even need to use your up b to get back on the stage. Then, your basically ken. Speaking of Ken, he's probably watching this thread, so why don't you help him out buddy and tell him how to really do a KEN combo.

tw0 side

Smash Apprentice
Thanks alot. I need to try that out. o0o and BTW the reason i picked up SSBM again was because one day I randomly saw a combo vid of his on youtube. So ya that's why I'm a Marth player also =)

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Are you sure it was Ken? some people get confused when they watch Kizzu's combo video called "swords of fate" because it says "ken combo" on it.

(jkk)

Smash Cadet
there are youtube vids of ken combo. I think you should check them out. And using fair and seccound jump to dair matters some times on what % there at and Char. you are playing. Just play around with it.

Fade016

Smash Journeyman
when i do a ken combo i usally do a fair to a fair double jump downair i found this works best for me and if you want to see some ken combos in action and some other combos you have to watch kaze no kizzu on youtube one of my favorite vids

tw0 side

Smash Apprentice
Ya thanks I have watched those vids already. I get it now guys really....

AcidJazz

Smash Apprentice
When learning new combos make sure you learn them the proper way. Always take it from step one and get that step down 100% then add a step. Trying to do fair fair fair fair is near impossible if you don't know how to shuffle. Shuffling's difficult if you can't l cancel properly. Shuffling's also difficult if you use the A button for aerials. It's also difficult if you have a hard time short hopping...

Hopefully that helps get the picture a bit better. I main Marth as well and the way I learned to do the fancy stuff was first making sure I can short hop everytime I want to. Using the CStick takes a move out of the left thumbstick making it a lot easier to fast fall (3 moves instead of 4 is always going to be easier) so I forced myself to do that. For some reason I L cancel with the left trigger rather than the right. I originally started with the right but found the left more effective. I like to keep the weight of the controller in my left hand as it relieves tension for quick attacks in my right hand. People find that weird tho so whateva :)

ShoryuSwordsman

Smash Cadet
hey,i've also had sum problems with this combo...i do the fair, and when i double jump >dair, it seems i go too high. if i fastfell a bit b4 i did the double jump, do u think its possible to connect it? (i watched vids, and it seems they do that at times, depending on the opponent's height, but i have yet to test it cuz i dont have a gamecube) if not, can anyone inform me on what i'm doing wrong? thanx

Jedi (Marth)

Smash Cadet
From what I've gathered, there are just too many ways to KO someone using Marth that would classify as a "Ken Combo". In my opinion any time you begin a combo using SHFFL'd Fair and ending with a Dair spike ~ you can generally mark it up as a Ken Combo. The only thing which I classify as anything else following the same criteria is what I call a "Kizzu Spike" (Please don't flame for that.. I realize Ken probably is known for and originated it... but watching Combo Vids I notive Kizzu using it more than anything to KO) where he follows an aerial with a double-jumped Dair - again it's only my observation and only what I refer to it as.

I'd like to emphasize what AcidJazz said about getting SHFFL down to mastery levels before trying to emulate what you see the best Marth players do... I for one can admit that I've main'd Marth for quite some time but I still don't have L-Cancel down well enough to SHFFL at a consistency which would allow me to use the better Marth combos out there. (Also AcidJazz, thanks for the insight. I've been fooling around using L instead of R for the cancel, and never really thought to modify which hand takes most of the controller's weight - being right handed and experimenting with L-Cancel using L it only makes sense to carry most of it in your left hand to use L and allow your right hand the freedom to execute C-Stick manuvers quickly... thanks!)

@ShoryuSwordsman - A common problem when feeling out Marth. If I might suggest; know when you plan to execute the DJ > DAir and instead of using the jump (buttons) use the Analog Stick (left one) to perform your DJ and work on timing that action with an immediate Down-C. Basically you want to interrupt the rising action of your jump with the Dair spike, after a little practice you'll find it a lot easier. At least, I did. And using the C-Stick for your spike prevents you from fast falling to your SD behind your opponent, as the DAir can take a little longer to recover from than you're used to - so fast falling it can cost you a stock if you aren't careful.

spoonyd

Smash Apprentice
Seems like a lotta people are saying just shorthopping 1 fair into another is more important than SHDFs. Do you hafta put the 2 together?

Dedu

Smash Lord
Well it depends on the situation. IF the opponent isn't blocking and has left himself open and is on low percentage then you can SHDFs to rack up damage faster than one Fair. Like Grab, fthrow, SHDFs to rack up to like 20% damage. However, one Fair can be done any time between the start and the finish of the jump, which means you can make your opponent think that you're doing an empty jump and when u see them come to you, then you pull out the fair. The SHDFs are very predictable and are seen more as a combo itself.

In most matches I've done with Marth, I very rarely do the Ken Combo and when that opportunity arises, I can execute it easily. It just takes heaps of practice and knowing when and where to do it. In other words, to get the feel of the Ken Combo. Watching Kizzu vids give me the impression that all he does is Ken Combo. Its a good approach to quickly kill someone offstage (especially Peach) but there are heaps of other options when the Ken Combo 'window' isn't available.

Oh and using the Joystick to Dj instead of X/Y? Good idea I'll try it out. Though wouldn't it go as far as holding the joystick in the direction of the opponent and using X/Y to Dair?

Top Bottom