• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kel's videos

Kel

Smash Master
Hey guys, I just found out that I have more videos than I realize. Most of them are vs. Wario and Diddy, but I'll post them here just so you can see what I've done with my Marth since switching to him earlier this year.

Vs. Kryztedez late June 2012:
This tournament was all pools and this was the final pools. Kryz and I got 1st and second, so this was effectively grand finals. 30+ entrants.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_yxMZOVUDg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmk_fsZu5wU&feature=relmfu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr7ju2tcqXE&feature=relmfu

Vs AZ Late July 2012:
5th place match at a MW regional 60+ entrants.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd_-qJ3qnxc&feature=related

There are a couple more matches I have dating back from February. I will update them at a later time in chronological order.

Ayce God

RIP Nova 9
good **** kel, your marth is coming along nicely. if anything I think I think your game play could use a little more aggression (especially against diddy) but I remember watching the other vids of u vs alpha and you seemed to learn the match up in just one set so props my dude. keep getting better and ****** *****s. I look forward to playing with you one day.

:phone:

Kel

Smash Master
Thanks, Nova. Sorry I bailed on Saturday, the turnout seemed really low and I really wanted to play poker. If there aren't any tournaments coming up I may just run my own in Lexington. I'll try to unite the south and Eastern MW and see if we can't all have a good time.

I have gotten a lot better at the Diddy MU now, but I'm still not comfortable with it. It seems that Marth CANNOT be aggressive in the MU if Diddy has a banana in his hand. I'll see what I can do with the MU, but there are no Diddys around me at this time.

C.J.

Smash Master
Yeah diddy with a banana in hand beats all falling aerials. However, diddy can't punish rising fair reliably with a banana in hand like he usually can with fair

/will happily watch when I get home :)

C.J.

Smash Master
Double posting because I don't care!

:07 I laughed, only because this happens to me all the time. "I'mma Z-catch that banana!" *nope*
:15 If Diddy has a banana in his hand, you never want to land with an aerial. By landing with an aerial, you remove the option of reacting to the banana throw with an aerial (and therefore catching it) along with Z-catches, AD catches, and ITs. While you did have a banana in your hand already, you should have just Z-dropped it. Doing this would have, not only have allowed you to get the second banana under your control but would have controlled space making it more difficult for Diddy to punish you in the first place (he'd have to jump over the banana or commit to picking it up before he could punish you).
:20 I don't like jumping here in general since Diddy did have a banana and could punish any landing option as a result. Walking away and then reacting with ftilt would be my preferred option. However, given that you did jump, when you see Diddy flipkick while you're in the air, you want to use nair. It has a constant hitbox out and is more likely to cleanly beat flipkick than fair- which usually trades.
:28 You didn't do an aerial so AZ couldn't react to fair to throw the banana, he had to wait to be able to effectively choose his punish. Because of this, you were able to PS the banana and put yourself into an advantageous situation. I personally would have either SH Z-drop fair'd to start zoning and create pressure since the other banana was above him and he couldn't get to it w/o jumping into your, now dropped, banana and fair. Second to that I would say you should have GT'd straight down instead of forward. Straight down controls relevant space and potentially trips him. Through him gives him stage control.
I'm... really not sure about the fsmash. Even if it was an input error, I can't think of something that would have been beneficial there. With the banana above Diddy's head, getting control of the banana back in #1 priority. If it was an autopilot fsmash after the GT, then the obvious comment to make is to not auto-pilot your options out of a GT and instead react to what Diddy does (if he is shielding, grab, if he jumps OoS, nair/fair, etc).
:35 I'm interested in why you chose to FH fair to get the banana. I don't disagree with it really, and I'll talk about that situation more once you reply, but that decision interests me and I'd love to hear your thought process there.
:50 Diddy was so far away from you, jumping here served no purpose.
You GT throw at Diddy too much- throw bananas up and down a LOT more. They control a lot of vertical space then and you can restrict his movements since he'd have to commit to an action to get the banana or just avoid that area which nets you stage control.

Honestly, that's pretty much it as far as the MU goes. You make the same mistakes almost every time you get hit. I could go through and timestamp each thing, but whatever. It's the same few mistakes you're making over and over, so it should be easy enough to focus on them.

Jump less/in better spots, you're a bit overaggressive when it comes to using DB, zone w/ Z-drops more, etc

You fsmash too much too. If that's the read you want to make, that's fine, but I'd use ftilt there. It won't stale your kill move, hits at a slightly different angle, the hitbox goes in a different direction so when the hitboxes are where is slightly different, etc.

You struggled really hard to kill him 1st stock, staling DS a lot in the process. You need to work dsmash into your game.

If you want me to touch on any specific part of the match/MU, I'd be happy to do so. In general, a lot of your damage just came from hasty/bad landings.

Like I said, usually I'd be more detailed, but I don't feel like C/Ping the same comment with a different time stamp is all.

Kel

Smash Master
Ah, you only watched the first game. If you watch game 2 & 3 vs AZ you will see me gradually learning the matchup. I had very little experience fighting Diddy as Marth prior to this match, so this was essentially my starting point for Diddy. You'll see me make less errors toward the end of the match.

I've forced Judo to play Diddy with me enough to where I'm becoming more comfortable with the match. My general strategy is to stay between Diddy and his bananas and not try to frame fight him on the ground (spot dodge mostly). I feel like I've learned a lot about this MU, but I don't know if I have a more recent video. Let me scour my twitch friendlies with Judo to see if I have one from a couple weeks ago.

BTW I used full hop fair on that banana because I wanted to take the banana away, but I didn't want to contest Diddy's position. He was center of the stage with a banana in his hand and I had no MU experience at this point. It's better to be safe than sorry. In general, when I don't know what to do, I full hop Fair with Marth.

C.J.

Smash Master
Well if you put more recent things up I'll happily look over those as well one I'm done with quests matches.

Interesting enough@ FH fair being your fall back option. I THINK I like IT down more there but FH fair seems mostly reasonable

Top Bottom