• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Karissa the Destroyer" was a Marketing Hoax

Boomhound

Smash Apprentice
It's wasn't a waste of time, they got to play the game didn't they? They faced a good player, didn't they? Who cares who the good player really was.
If it had been advertised that you would get to play Mew2king and it turned out that it was just a little girl playing behind a curtain would it be the same?.. Actually that would have been quite funny :p

It's to your own interpretation whether the event would be a waste of time for you, but I can't look at false advertising in a good light despite of how seemingly harmless it is- because at the end of the day it was about profit, not that magical, warm feeling you think was intended.

I'm just apprehensive about Nintendo playing a bigger role in the smash scene- they don't have the same goal as us: they're not interested in establishing a respectable competitive scene, they actively removed aspects of the game that made smash competitive and now they're funding our tournaments to the point that slots for competitive games at Apex were filled with Brawl and Smash 4 over other games with established meta.
If your supportive of this type of game mentality then why are you on a competitive forum site?

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
It's kinda also upsetting, the Smash community can't except that a young women beat M2K, and D1.

Funny thing is, there is a lot of women and children playing Smash, and seeing the game community spitting all over the poor kid, make me wonder what would happen is a 8 year girl is actually that good in Smash?
The disgusting thing here is that you are trying to gender the issue and make it sexist, when this isnt about a "woman" (correction, girl, because said person is not nearly an adult) beating people or women playing the game in general. The issue lies in the companies/people involved and their underhanded dealings first and foremost, and the idea a /child/ (as in not gender specific) could beat pro smashers so easily. You are soapboxing, and its so clear it hurts. You are not helping gender issues at all by insurting them where they are not the problem to begin with. What you are doing is called sensationalism.

However, I agree that people are taking this a bit to seriously, and its being blown out of proportion.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
You do know I was talking about the **** and sexist threats she has been getting on her Twitter, right?
Strawmanning my comment, typical. You doing that just supports what I said.

You can always find examples to make an argument for something, it doesn't make it the overarching issue. When my dad's soccer team won state champ I heard some people were upset it was "just a bunch of gooks playing their native game", and as racist as that is it doesn't suddenly make it the majority of why people are upset or happy. Those people were in the minority, and the larger issue people had was that it was a tiny team no one expected to get that far. "Prodigies" have the same effect, many people in any given field feel inadequate if they are bested by a child when they have been doing what they do best for years. This isn't hard to grasp.

Your original statement was a generalization painted with a broad brush, you can't seriously expect people to read your mind. You presented it as a larger problem with the entire scandal overall, when you apparently were speaking of a specific event. A word of advice, when you are thinking of something specific, then be specific. You don't help your own argument by being ambiguous and obtuse. Doing so just muddles your point and hides it under inaccuracy and subjectivity when it should be objectively stated. While I would agree that some people are definitely attacking her because of her gender, and it is wrong to do so, in the grand scheme of things including here on Smashboards as well as the Twittersphere people are more concerned with the issues I presented earlier.

I don't condone the attack of an actress just doing what they were hired to do, especially one whole couldnt exactly betray the Smash community as she has no connections to it at all, and that plays very well into me stating I believe people are taking this to seriously.

Last edited:

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
Well its the internet, people are going to send death threats and things. Hopefully Karissa knows that.

Dont take it too seriously its just the internet.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
I'm honestly not upset about the hoax. I'm actually relieved that this is what actually happened, rather than the reality that a ten year old girl with zero smash experience can stomp all over competitive smashers who have done incredible amounts of practice, research, and have traversed many tournies over many years.

I'm not a fan of the idea that some kid can just be born into and skip what it takes to make it. Call me childish, or sexist, or an entitled competitive smash player. That's just how I feel about it. I didn't want to believe this girl could be anything other than what many would call "scrub material" (I wouldn't use that phrase, because I don't s*** all over less experienced players) and now I don't have to.

So all in all, I'm content. I have no plans to be up in this girl's face about this hoax. Just gonna let it bury itself.
As a 15 year old Smash player I feel insulted reading this post. I hate how you assume a young player can't be good at the game. Sure, they don't have as much experience,but it doesn't mean they don't have any experience and that they can't play well. People like you are the ones who are keeping new players from not just joining competitive smash,but the FGC in general.

Are you seriously trying to justify death threats?

To a little girl no less
Trolling is fine as long as you don't go too far and know when to stop,but death threats is DEFINITELY way too far.

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Well its the internet, people are going to send death threats and things. Hopefully Karissa knows that.

Dont take it too seriously its just the internet.
Are you seriously trying to justify death threats?

To a little girl no less

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
As a 15 year old Smash player I feel insulted reading this post. I hate how you assume a young player can't be good at the game. Sure, they don't have as much experience,but it doesn't mean they don't have any experience and that they can't play well. People like you are the ones who are keeping new players from not just joining competitive smash,but the FGC in general.

It wasn't meant as a troll. I guess I'm the only one who doesent take death threats seriously anymore. I just hear about them constantly and its all too common.

I think death threats are made by angry people who don't understand the damage and fear it can cause. Its not that I support it. Im just surprised people still gasp at the subject.

Trolling is fine as long as you don't go too far and know when to stop,but death threats is DEFINITELY way too far.

Top Bottom