• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I dunno.

I just don't see what's so difficult to grasp regarding the ballot.

"Do you want your favorite video-game character to join the battle in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U? Well, here's your chance. If you post a video-game character’s name, we’ll consider turning that character into a Smash fighter! The deadline for entry is 10/3/2015."

Literally this thread:

"K. Rool is a Mii Fighter costume, there's no way he can be a fighter now despite the fact that the ballot isn't even over!! THIS BALLOT IS A SHAM QUICK ARM THE CANNONS WE MUST GO AND REVOTE ALONG WITH AN EXPLANATION FOR HIM THIS WILL HELP OUR CASE SURELY"

Maybe I'm being too logical.

tl;dr:

Mii Fighter costume doesn't deconfirm him as a fighter.

Heck, even before people seem to believe that K. Rool is going to be like, the most voted character in the ballot when he hasn't had a relevant appearance for like, 9 or 10 years. I'd imagine a large percentage of the voters of the ballot are 14-18 year olds, who, sorry to say, probably don't even know what a King K. Rool is.

gj, yes, your smashboards support thread is big. Yes, Reddit does say that K. Rool is popular. But these places are primarily used by older gamers and still isn't indicative of literally everyone else.

Realistically it would be nice if everyone just calmed down and waited for the ballot to, y'know, finish, but all the while not getting too hyped about it, because seeing as Sakurai seems to hate the DK franchise alongside K. Rool not being as popular as you probably believe him to be.

Just my thoughts on the whole thing imo.
I fully agree with what you say, but there's still this could of uncertainty that is, for lack of a better word, haunting.

It may be logical to assume this means diddly squat about K. Rool's inclusion based on, well, logic, but there's still the cryptic nature of this announcement. There's the worry that what you've been rooting for for so long may never happen. Much worse, the fear of having to deal the mockery and ridicule of the rest of the world, constantly repeating you "you were wrong!" or "you got yourself in this mess, you deserve this".

Until you guys get a final confirmation on this, be it a sweet redemption or a crude reality, you may get stuck in some bizarre psychological purgatory, anxious to see what the truth of the situation is, reassuring yourself everything will turn out find in the end when, in reality, you yourself may not believe those thoughts. It may be, in fact, maddening.

Trust me, as a Ridley fan, I know what that is like. I may sound like I'm overreacting, but it really gets you when this happens.

Not saying hope is all lost, but it's just a natural reaction to panic when we're shown with vague information, especially knowing that if what we fear turns out to be real, we'd be viciously attacked, directly or not, by a horde of detractors. And that isn't a pleasant feeling.

Please tell me this didn't come off as absurdly corny/Negative Nancy-esque.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Would you be a lady and please repost it, or provide a link so I can refer to it?

It's very well made.
This discussion of villains reminds me of this brief treatise I wrote a while ago in this very thread. Hold on while I dredge it up!

I think there are different types of villains to be considered in this respect. In brief, how I would interpret them:

The Madman

This villain is in it, to borrow a colloquial expression, for the lulz. They'll murder, cheat, steal and torture and won't think twice about stabbing somebody in the eye socket because it seems funny at the time. Utterly devoid of morals and crazy to a terrifying degree, they laugh at the hero's misfortune and treat everything like one big joke that only they seem to get. They love what they do and do it because they find wanton murder and chaos to be their idea of a good time. They exist to cause trouble and they live to make things that little bit bloodier and more amusing for themselves. In spite of their heinous deeds, they're eminently charismatic and you can't help but break into a smile and laugh along with them, even as they set fire to orphanages and drown puppies for the hell of it. Bad to the bone they may be, but they've got style, and they're just so much fun to watch.

See: Hades, Metal Face

The Dark Lord

The epitome of the term "big bad", this villain is cold, ruthless, rational and utterly awe-inspiring. They inspire fear and respect in all that behold them, and none dare stand before their overwhelming might: those that do are trampled underfoot and ground to dust beneath their heel, and woe betide anybody who thinks they can challenge their godly fury and magnificent power. They usually have a desire to rule their respective world and will stop at nothing to achieve their goals - such petty concepts as good and evil have no place in their worldview, a perspective borne of blood and tempered with flames of the darkest black. Their will is unbendable, their dedication unfaltering; this villain is the true lord of darkness, a foe worthy of standing proud as the greatest threat to the hero and manifesting the concept of a final boss.

See: Ganondorf, Nergal

The Tragedian

A villain of circumstance rather than choice, this villain has no desire to be the bad guy, but fate has other plans for them. Thrust into a role not of their own volition, but of the cruel whims of destiny, they must carry out their part in a deadly narrative and meet their untimely end at the hand of the hero. And for what purpose? Nobody can say for sure; this villain is just a pawn of their own unfortunate setting, a tragic entity forced to do evil things for reasons that they did not choose nor want to carry out in the first instance. They may be drawn into a terrible situation against their will and have to do evil things to make the world right again, or they may be so corrupted by hatred and malice that the darkness is all they know. Either way, this is a villain that, in another world, could have been a hero or a friend - a villain that you will no doubt feel just a little bit sorry for killing, and whose soul-stirring tears and scorned tale will make you wonder if there could have been any other way.

See: Count Bleck, Mewtwo

The Psycho

What's so different between this villain and The Madman? Well, for starters, this villain isn't funny - and if they are, it's not in the ironic, self-conscious way that The Madman is. This villain is vindictive, merciless, malicious and cruel - and that's just their job description! This villain's motivation is simple: hate. They hate the hero, they hate everything they stand for, they hate them for ruining their schemes and they hate them just for being them. They will stop at nothing to destroy the hero, to tear them apart, to make their life a living hell and to watch them suffer for their own demented sense of pleasure. This villain is just as prone to theatrics and flamboyance as The Madman, of course, and sometimes you'll even find yourself laughing at their incessantly cruel nature; but really, it's more of a nervous laugh, a brief moment of shock and awe at just how singularly insane and ruthlessly devoted they can be. Whereas The Madman thinks the world would be a better place if there were more blood and guts being spilled by their own wicked hand, this villain doesn't care about causing chaos for its own sake and doesn't want others to laugh at them: they just want to kill the hero, and damn anything that gets in their way. This villain is cruel and utterly, insanely dedicated to that cruelty, and when they set their mind on something, you'd better hope it's not you they're coming after.

See: K. Rool, Ridley

The Bully

This villain is...well, not really much of a villain at all, honestly. They're more so a villain in spirit than anything else: a bit boisterous, a bit rude, they may even try to take over the world or kidnap a princess or two - but they're not really serious about it. Well, okay, maybe they're serious about it - but take one look at their bumbling antics and hilarious shenanigans and you'll forget that they're supposed to be the bad guy. Sometimes, if an even greater threat looms before them, they'll even form a temporary alliance with the hero to save the day. Of course, it's straight back to business as usual after that, but it at least demonstrates that they're not so bad after all. Don't let the clumsy demeanour and silly gags deceive you, though: this villain can be quite deadly when they want to be, and just because they keep getting beaten doesn't mean they're not capable of holding their own or that they won't be back. What they lack in common sense, they more than make up for in tenacity and determination. Win or lose, you've not seen the last of them: they'll be ready and waiting next time with some even bigger plan and even wilder scheme, and they won't stop until they've finally proved themselves as the top villain.

See: Bowser, King Dedede

The Rival

The least villainous of all the different types, this villain isn't actually a villain at all. They're antagonistic and oppose the hero, sure, but that's just because it's their job: they'll fight the hero to the depths of hell and back, but they'd just as easily come to their aid if they had to. More of an anti-hero than anything else, they oppose the hero not out of hatred or malice, but because it's convenient or because it's more fun that way. More often than not, they really do want the hero to succeed, and they see their constant clashes as a way of training them and helping them carry out their noble deeds. Even if they do really want to beat the hero, it's nothing personal: they're irrevocably intertwined, you can't have one without the other, and when push comes to shove, who knows you better than your rival?

See: Wolf O'Donnell, Blue

In hindsight, there are a few characters conspicuously absent (I'd include Porky and Dark Pit in this list, for example), and most importantly, you will have to remember that these aren't hard-and-fast categories: a good villain mixes and matches elements of different personae to create a more dynamic and rounded character. I'd argue K. Rool has elements of The Psycho, The Madman, The Bully and The Dark Lord depending on the nature of the game!
That okay? :3

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I was trying to brighten the mood a lil but meh
You meant with this?

You know what if when Mashed Potato Samurai said that the highest voted character on the Smash Ballot will become a fighter...

He meant a Mii fighter.
That's not brightening the mood. Because we don't know if that's true or not. And depending on who is revealed as Mii Costumes along with Chrom and Rool....

We're still hoping that joke made in playful taste doesn't turn out to be some surreal reality.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I stand by my assertion that, if Wolf, Isaac et al turn out to be Mii costumes, Sakurai has a very audacious prank in mind and we'll see the real newcomers in due time.

At least I choose to hope so~

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I fully agree with what you say, but there's still this could of uncertainty that is, for lack of a better word, haunting.

It may be logical to assume this means diddly squat about K. Rool's inclusion based on, well, logic, but there's still the cryptic nature of this announcement. There's the worry that what you've been rooting for for so long may never happen. Much worse, the fear of having to deal the mockery and ridicule of the rest of the world, constantly repeating you "you were wrong!" or "you got yourself in this mess, you deserve this".

Until you guys get a final confirmation on this, be it a sweet redemption or a crude reality, you may get stuck in some bizarre psychological purgatory, anxious to see what the truth of the situation is, reassuring yourself everything will turn out find in the end when, in reality, you yourself may not believe those thoughts. It may be, in fact, maddening.

Trust me, as a Ridley fan, I know what that is like. I may sound like I'm overreacting, but it really gets you when this happens.

Not saying hope is all lost, but it's just a natural reaction to panic when we're shown with vague information, especially knowing that if what we fear turns out to be real, we'd be viciously attacked, directly or not, by a horde of detractors. And that isn't a pleasant feeling.

Please tell me this didn't come off as absurdly corny/Negative Nancy-esque.
It doesn't come off that way as there's precedence to this feeling. Many of us dread about dealing with what the Ridley fans dealt with and still deal with.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
So on a cool note, I got reminded that our king was in Donkey Konga in a mini-game, which means we actually do have a slightly more detailed iteration of his design
It almost looks like the manual renders model... and I think it shows why the modern body proportions do work better

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
So on a cool note, I got reminded that our king was in Donkey Konga in a mini-game, which means we actually do have a slightly more detailed iteration of his design
It almost looks like the manual renders model... and I think it shows why the modern body proportions do work better
Crown's a little too big for me there.

Iblistech

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NeosCross
3DS FC
3179-6577-8881
Switch FC
SW-7096-0760-2425
Lucas and Wolf say hi.

Seriously guys, King K. Rool being a costume does not mean he's not gettting in. Honestly, I this makes his inclusion even more likely. Think about it. Nintendo wouldn't release a costume of a character if they didn't think it would sell. So clearly, Nintendo still thinks King K. Rool is relevant, even though he hasn't been in a game in a while. Considering that's many people's biggest point to why he won't make it, I think this makes the case for the big guy all the more stronger.
I fully agree with this.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Lurker here. I'm gonna say my honest bit about the whole fiasco: I doubt this kills his chances. If anything, this could be a blessing in disguise as it means Nintendo still remembers him. As for King K.Rool himself, here's why I feel it doesn't kill his chances completely.

Exhibit A: Remember this?
I do. And what happened 2 days afterward?
Yeah. In one week. And this was pre-release, too. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a repeat of this.

Exhibit B: The DLC veterans just....don't care.
The Mewtwo and Lucas pre-DLC trophies? Roy Koopa? These literally meant nothing when these characters returned. Yeah.

Exhibit C: All of the Mii costumes, give or take afew, so far have SOME representation ingame. K.Rool currently, does not.
Excluding the 3rd party and original ones like the cat, monkey, and hoodie outfits, all the others have some form of rep. Link is playable(Duh), Chrom and Dunban are Final Smash supports, and Isabelle's an AT. K. Rool, so far, has nothing like this, and the only other is like Inkling. Admittedly, this one is probably not as important as the other two.

D

Deleted member

Lurker here. I'm gonna say my honest bit about the whole fiasco: I doubt this kills his chances. If anything, this could be a blessing in disguise as it means Nintendo still remembers him. As for King K.Rool himself, here's why I feel it doesn't kill his chances completely.

Yeah. In one week. And this was pre-release, too. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a repeat of this.

The Mewtwo and Lucas pre-DLC trophies? Roy Koopa? These literally meant nothing when these characters returned. Yeah.

Exhibit C: All of the Mii costumes, give or take afew, so far have SOME representation ingame. K.Rool currently, does not.
Excluding the 3rd party and original ones like the cat, monkey, and hoodie outfits, all the others have some form of rep. Link is playable(Duh), Chrom and Dunban are Final Smash supports, and Isabelle's an AT. K. Rool, so far, has nothing like this, and the only other is like Inkling. Admittedly, this one is probably not as important as the other two.
Minor thing but Roy* not Roy Koopa since Roy Koopa was actually a newcomer alt.

That's all.~

Last edited by a moderator:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
K.K. Slider...

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Holy crap, you guys are quick, XD.
Minor thing but Roy* not Roy Koopa since Roy Koopa was actually a newcomer alt.

That's all.~
I specificially mentioned Roy Koopa because folks assumed that because of him making it in(Among other things like Marth's Roy alt) that FE Roy wouldn't make it in. Just saying. ^^;

K.K. Slider...
Ah, yeah. Ya got me. I forgot about him, XD.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
I have a weird thoery. What if king k rool was playable? but the version he was playable in was his modern design? Think of it, you have the costume which represents his look from rare. The nintendo version of k rool would be his modern design ( the trophy ). Therefore king k rool would be playable with the look of his modern design instead of the rare. But rares version is the costume. Anyone think so?

Eureka

Smash Ace
I fully agree with this.
Here's the question though, why would they make a costume of King K. Rool? Since the whole point of making DLC costumes is for them to sell. And of all the characters to make a costume out of, K. Rool does not seem to be a character that would obviously sell. Unless, Nintendo is trying to ride the ballot hype to sell the DLC costume. Because let's be real here, there's really no reason for them to make something as wacky as a K. Rool costume unless they have been keeping an eye on the ballot and know how many fans of the character there are. This could also be a diversion tactic, to keep it a bit of a surprise for people if K. Rool gets in, considering how their last two surprises got leaked. And when you look at how many people have already wrote K. Rool off as a playable character, it seems to have worked.

So don't worry K. Rool fans, you're still in this, possibly even more then before. And hey, I guess this is the closest we can get to playing as K. Rool right now. So maybe they made this to tide you guys over.

thebadlamp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thebadlamp2
3DS FC
0963-0296-0917

Isn't there that one costume for that bat girl thing? Forgot her name but there's that.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Can someone photoshop that Mii Costume into a K.Rool render that looks more believable? I kinda wanna see that.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I don't believe revising our ballots to be a measure of panic or a way of cheating. Those new ballots don't count twice for us, they override our first ones (be it through IPs or them just doing a general check); the ballot still being open while the costume is revealed allows us the rare chance to respond to it, instead of just having to choke down whatever ended up happening in the main game. The solution is also a good way to counteract the no-win scenario of the costume (buy it and "support" the character being a costume or ignore it and "prove" that the character won't sell). If you don't like the idea, don't do it, simple as that. Personally, the alternative of doing nothing and just complaining online wore thin for me pre-release.

Just a few hours to go before some other fanbases potentially get put into the same tizzy. Any guesses as to who the "lucky" candidates will be? We're missing a gunner among this new set.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Gonna make the same point I did for the Inklings.

The content being shown now was likely planned from the beginning. I doubt they sit in the office and someone says "Hey, let's make a costume for X." Very likely, most of this is planned months in advance and then teetered out as content gets completed. I would not be surprised if the K Rool costume was decided a while back. They probably aren't going to do much with the ballot until all of the requests are in. Iwata stated that they will consider every suggestion, so they all have to be in to do that.

Basically, be patient.

I don't think marching into the thread with this holier-than-thou attitude is doing anyone any favors.
I don't agee with his point, but this is a thread to discuss King K Rool.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I actually think K.Rool is going to be in now. Like, legitimately. Otherwise, it's just bull****. I prefer to stay optimistic.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, we should be getting the update tomorrow (US time), since Japan is a day ahead of at least where I am at. Tomorrow evening on the 30th will be morning time in Japan on the 31st. So, are you all ready for this?

Eureka

Smash Ace
I don't believe revising our ballots to be a measure of panic or a way of cheating. Those new ballots don't count twice for us, they override our first ones (be it through IPs or them just doing a general check); the ballot still being open while the costume is revealed allows us the rare chance to respond to it, instead of just having to choke down whatever ended up happening in the main game. The solution is also a good way to counteract the no-win scenario of the costume (buy it and "support" the character being a costume or ignore it and "prove" that the character won't sell). If you don't like the idea, don't do it, simple as that. Personally, the alternative of doing nothing and just complaining online wore thin for me pre-release.

Just a few hours to go before some other fanbases potentially get put into the same tizzy. Any guesses as to who the "lucky" candidates will be? We're missing a gunner among this new set.
Inb4 Snake.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I'm honestly surprised K. Rool's costume wasn't a Gunner. His Blunderbuss would've worked great for it.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

I hope reckon it will be Wonder Red.

Probably the only Mii costume aside from Chrom that I'd be totally content with.

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
This just makes no sense, why would they not give Rool until October?? Assuming he's totally deconfirmed.

TropicalBreeze

Smash Apprentice
Nobody's really talking about how similar this thread is to the Ridley thread.

It's scary. We both thought our character was a shoo in at one point, and...then catastrophe struck. Hard. Seriously, go check it out, if you haven't. http://smashboards.com/threads/the-ridley-for-ssb4-thread-end-of-an-era.324284/ The early posts and last posts there just....they're haunting. That could very well be us; believing he'd be in since melee, strung along for years, and finally stuck in limbo until 5mash, whenever that happens (because Sakurai seems to want to quit, but Nintendo's still making so much $). I think most of you are right; K. Rool will almost undoubtedly return in the next installment of Donkey Kong Country. But in Sm4sh....it's a clean 50/50 with this whole mii debacle. Other users have broken it down far better than I ever could, so I'll just leave it at that. We have to accept the fact that the King's finest hour may not happen for a few years.

D

Deleted member

Correct me if I'm wrong but in the past wasn't data added with each patch that hinted at content in the future?

For instance, didn't the sound files for Roy and Ryu's victory themes only appear (bad wording, I know) after what was it, Mewtwo's patch?

Perhaps there will be some sort of data hint for something when the patch drops tomorrow/Friday through files that are added in before the actual content is added?

Just an idea, it all depends on what the data miners can find and who knows if it will relate to anything in regards to playable K. Rool anyways.~

dangeraaron10

Smash Master

It's scary. We both thought our character was a shoo in at one point, and...then catastrophe struck. Hard. Seriously, go check it out, if you haven't. http://smashboards.com/threads/the-ridley-for-ssb4-thread-end-of-an-era.324284/ The early posts and last posts there just....they're haunting. That could very well be us; believing he'd be in since melee, strung along for years, and finally stuck in limbo until 5mash, whenever that happens (because Sakurai seems to want to quit, but Nintendo's still making so much $). I think most of you are right; K. Rool will almost undoubtedly return in the next installment of Donkey Kong Country. But in Sm4sh....it's a clean 50/50 with this whole mii debacle. Other users have broken it down far better than I ever could, so I'll just leave it at that. We have to accept the fact that the King's finest hour may not happen for a few years.
Your avatar.

That's me, at least it was the night of the reveal. And I'm sure plenty others who lost sleep over this.

Eureka

Smash Ace

Nah, I don't believe so. Sakurai is absolutely committed to making future DLC for the fans. So if the ballot votes are there, King K. Rool will be a playable character. I really think it's as simple as that.
Correct me if I'm wrong but in the past wasn't data added with each patch that hinted at content in the future?

For instance, didn't the sound files for Roy and Ryu's victory themes only appear (bad wording, I know) after what was it, Mewtwo's patch?

Perhaps there will be some sort of data hint for something when the patch drops tomorrow/Friday through files that are added in before the actual content is added?

Just an idea, it all depends on what the data miners can find and who knows if it will relate to anything in regards to playable K. Rool anyways.~
I highly doubt that those files where put in the game for them to be discovered. More then likely, Nintendo wanted to keep Roy and Ryu as a surprise to spring on us at E3. I do not think they will make the same mistake again by putting data into the game that references future fighters.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

I was thinking that as well. I am sure the reason why we did not see more characters other than Ryu and Roy was because they were still working on the newer characters by then. Now that it is close to August, we should see them in the data since they are close to being finished.

Top Bottom