• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
We have to remember though that everyone only thinks that DK is getting 4 reps because of FE. Everyone originally thought we'd only get 3. Lucina being converted to a separate slot was a late decision, probably to pad out the roster as a response to time constraints or something else not going to plan. This means that FE may have originally meant to only have 3 reps. I say may have, a Lucina may simply be replacing another intended FE rep that got cut for whatever reason.

Klaww

Smash Cadet
NNID
KlawwTheClown
3DS FC
1220-6841-7284
Instead of the ground pound I could see K.Rool using his hop from DKC1 that would be awesome.
I feel like that hop would make for an awesome forward smash. Maybe if you charge it longer, you jump further.

It could do damage to people who are in the air or on the ground. Maybe landing on them could get them stuck in the ground like DK's forward-special.

Plus it'd make for an amazing suicide-spike.

...I should stop. I'm getting carried away. :yoshi64:

Weavel

Smash Ace
For rool's moveset I want him to be able to change styles, pirate to other costumes with different moves and one with his gun.

Tubbers09

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tubbers09
3DS FC
4811-7028-1398
Switch FC
5712-1549-9596
I feel like that hop would make for an awesome forward smash. Maybe if you charge it longer, you jump further.

It could do damage to people who are in the air or on the ground. Maybe landing on them could get them stuck in the ground like DK's forward-special.

Plus it'd make for an amazing suicide-spike.

...I should stop. I'm getting carried away. :yoshi64:
Words cannot express how much I like that idea.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
For rool's moveset I want him to be able to change styles, pirate to other costumes with different moves and one with his gun.
I think it'd make more sense if the his alter egos were just alt costumes. I think that's more likely.

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman
We have to remember though that everyone only thinks that DK is getting 4 reps because of FE. Everyone originally thought we'd only get 3. Lucina being converted to a separate slot was a late decision, probably to pad out the roster as a response to time constraints or something else not going to plan. This means that FE may have originally meant to only have 3 reps. I say may have, a Lucina may simply be replacing another intended FE rep that got cut for whatever reason.
K. Rool's gonna be a DK clone Confirmed.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Mostly out of pure boredom right now here's my thoughts on a K.Rool moveset/his overall character

Costumes: Kaptain K.Rool, Baron K. Roolenstien, King Krusha K.Rool

General attacks:

Neutral A: a 1 2 3 jab that ends in a bite

Foreword Smash: A belly bash

Down Smash: his ground pound, longer the charge further the green shockwave goes

Up Smash: a small blast of sparks from his Blunderbuss (similar to ivysaurs spores)

Specials:

Neutral B: Blunderbuss Blast, longer the charge the further the cannonball goes, cannonball can bounce off opponents and be picked up and thrown. If the charge is held to long the blunderbuss backfires covering K.Rool in black soot (in hilarious fashion)

Forward B: Crownerang, K.Rool hurls his crown at the opponent if the crown hits it keeps going and can hit multiple opponents if it misses it returns to K.Rool. I like to imagine he'd look at the player when throwing it like in DKC

Down B: Krocodile Hop, K.Rool leaps foreword smashing into an opponent

Up B: KAOS Kopter, K.Rool uses his Kopter pack to fly back to the stage. Can hover like peaches float.

His dash animation can be similar to his slide attack in DKC2 where fire emits from his blunderbuss and jettisons him across the ground, naturally he looks at the player like in DKC2

His Fair could be a simple swipe of his claws and his Bair could be him swinging his tail. His Dair could just be his ground pound from off the ground or alternatively a belly flop which is way funnier

For some reason I think it would be amazing for his down throw to be a death role like real crocodiles, where he spins with you in his jaws maybe.

Hope you've enjoyed reading my thoughts :p

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
"May have" is a fallacy. There was no cut FE character, Sakurai flat-out confirmed this. That's not the point, though. Yes, FE got a rep added to fill in three reps. However, if Sakurai considered adding a fourth FE character, he'd also be well aware that DK could definitely use two characters as well. I think he'd consider this and realize that Dixie should be in before a fourth FE character (well, obviously K. Rool was planned before Dixie, if they weren't planned at the same time :p).

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
"May have" is a fallacy. There was no cut FE character, Sakurai flat-out confirmed this. That's not the point, though. Yes, FE got a rep added to fill in three reps. However, if Sakurai considered adding a fourth FE character, he'd also be well aware that DK could definitely use two characters as well. I think he'd consider this and realize that Dixie should be in before a fourth FE character (well, obviously K. Rool was planned before Dixie, if they weren't planned at the same time :p).
That makes it worse, because it looks like FE was originally meant to only have 3 reps. I don't buy the 'Lucina felt unique enough' card from Sakurai. Lucina was originally an alt, so there was nothing unique about her moveset. It's not as if he saw that she had to potential to be unique and therefore un-alted her, because he gave her a cloned moveset.

In a game where alts are a feature, she makes perfect sense as an alt. The fact that she got changed suggests to me that something has changed in development, ie. a character got cut to time constraints. I just think we should assess our chances assuming FE was gonna get 3 reps, because that was probably the plan when the development on DK content started.

Of course, even if FE was originally only going to get 3 reps, he might have felt that DK deserved 4 anyway (which it does). I just don't want to get my hopes up. I definitely see some form of curveball coming in terms of what DK content we get.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
That makes it worse, because it looks like FE was originally meant to only have 3 reps. I don't buy the 'Lucina felt unique enough' card from Sakurai. Lucina was originally an alt, so there was nothing unique about her moveset. It's not as if he saw that she had to potential to be unique and therefore un-alted her, because he gave her a cloned moveset.

In a game where alts are a feature, she makes perfect sense as an alt. The fact that she got changed suggests to me that something has changed in development, ie. a character got cut to time constraints. I just think we should assess our chances assuming FE was gonna get 3 reps, because that was probably the plan when the development on DK content started.

Of course, even if FE was originally only going to get 3 reps, he might have felt that DK deserved 4 anyway (which it does). I just don't want to get my hopes up. I definitely see some form of curveball coming in terms of what DK content we get.
Um, why? Why does it suggest something was cut in development? Sakurai never said anything like that at all, and people are just jumping to conclusions. He made it quite clear he was only planning on 3 FE characters, and DK does deserve four reps. The only reason we didn't get three in Brawl is because Sakurai couldn't make the Diddy-Dixie tag team work, and K. Rool would've never gotten in over Diddy. As for why Diddy missed Melee, that's mostlikely due to Rare.

But exactly, that's my whole point. DK deserved four reps long before FE got four. Even if you argue Dixie could be a Diddy semiclone (she really would be more likely to be very original), Dixie's an easy pick to add a fourth DK rep while still having a totally original third DK rep.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
It suggests something got cut because in a game where alts are a feature, it makes no sense to change someone who would make the perfect alt to a separate slot. On top of that, she was just given a cloned moveset. If Lucina, who is probably even more of a clone than Toon Link, somehow is 'unique' enough to get a separate slot, then any potential alt is too unique to be an alt.

The fact she's been changed to separate suggests the roster needs padding out due to someone being cut, otherwise she would've just remained an alt, because she's the perfect alt. Of course Sakurai isn't going to tell us this. Imagine how the fans would react if he effectively said 'We had to cut Mewtwo, but here's a female Marth clone instead'.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It suggests something got cut because in a game where alts are a feature, it makes no sense to change someone who would make the perfect alt to a separate slot. On top of that, she was just given a cloned moveset. If Lucina, who is probably even more of a clone than Toon Link, somehow is 'unique' enough to get a separate slot, then any potential alt is too unique to be an alt.

The fact she's been changed to separate suggests the roster needs padding out due to someone being cut, otherwise she would've just remained an alt, because she's the perfect alt. Of course Sakurai isn't going to tell us this. Imagine how the fans would react if he effectively said 'We had to cut Mewtwo, but here's a female Marth clone instead'.
I don't buy the logic. There are plenty of other reasons than "someone got cut" for Lucina to be made a separate character. Intelligent Systems wanted her to be separate, Lucina was extremely popular and Sakurai decided to make her a separate character, they wanted to give her an Amiibo so they made her a separate character, or the explanation Sakurai gave us: he decided to remove Lucina's tipper and make her "easy mode Marth" for people who liked Lucina and didn't like Marth's tipper.

The notion that the only reason Lucina was added as separate is BECAUSE someone was cut is ludicrous. Unless we get into the game's code and find that some characters' were left in the code unfinished like in Brawl, there's literally no reason to suggest anything about Lucina replacing a cut character.

EDIT: Just another note. In the past, when characters got "cut," we didn't magically have another character "replace" them to pad out the roster. They are just left out all-together. Making Lucina a separate character is a completely different decision from cutting characters, and cutting characters only happens at the end of development anyway. Lucina was added as a separate character months ago (at least before E3), no decision to "cut" any characters would've happened yet.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
If Lucina, who is basically a female Marth, is too 'unique' to be an alt, then what potential alt isn't too unique? Even stuff like Dark Pit and Dr. Mario would deserve to be unique by that logic.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Yeah, I think Sakurai shoehorned Lucina in and then made her tipperless and the reason "Moveset changes so she gets a slot"

But why would he do that....

Back to K. Inkay. Rool:
I envision his playstyle as this:
Plant a trap -> use attack to get him in it. -> Land killing/damaging blow -> use projectile to gimp if needed.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If Lucina, who is basically a female Marth, is too 'unique' to be an alt, then what potential alt isn't too unique? Even stuff like Dark Pit and Dr. Mario would deserve to be unique by that logic.
I never said she was "too unique" to be an alt. I just said, there's any number of reasons why he could've decided that. Sakurai never said she was too unique, he just said he decided to give her a different attribute to vary her slightly.

Yeah, I think Sakurai shoehorned Lucina in and then made her tipperless and the reason "Moveset changes so she gets a slot"

But why would he do that....

Back to K. Inkay. Rool:
I envision his playstyle as this:
Plant a trap -> use attack to get him in it. -> Land killing/damaging blow -> use projectile to gimp if needed.
A trap system for K. Rool is definitely the way I see him working. The fact is that K. Rool has always been a very tricky character, using tools to his advantage and his massive weight to avoid taking any serious damage. People see K. Rool's main attribute as his strength, but that's really only ever expressed in DK64. That's the only time K. Rool ever uses his "strength," in fact, before DK64 he was entirely a trap-based character, shooting cannonballs, throwing his crown, dropping cannonballs, shooting beams of electricity...

He can have a couple of "strong" attacks, yes, but his massive weight would be more for super armor than for knocking foes back, and this is what K. Rool differentiates from other heavyweight characters.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I think K. Rool should be lighter than Bowser but be more technical/ crafty with his gadgets. Then again they coudl've been creative with Bowser's moveset too but they just made him a generic bruiser.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think K. Rool should be lighter than Bowser but be more technical/ crafty with his gadgets. Then again they coudl've been creative with Bowser's moveset too but they just made him a generic bruiser.
Nah, I think K. Rool should be heavier and bigger than Bowser.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
His traps and big bruisy big blowing belly could work together, with the traps making the big knockback attacks easy to land and his grappling attacks can be used to lead opponents into them.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
While I agree with you on that, the problem is not why she got another spot. Let me quote Sakurai when he said:
In such cases, even if two characters' names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way, I assign them as alternate costumes. (...)

However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. (...)
The real question here is why did he make Lucina's attack characteristics different in first place if she was just going to be an alt. He never did that with any alt before, then why now? I don't think because another character got cut though.

That said, it's Sakurai, so who knows. Maybe he did change her skills so as to justify her being a standalone character because another one was scrapped (if this was true, I would hope it wasn't K Rool!).

Back to K Rool setting traps, I would like him to shoot some spiky balls that remain on stage like Uniras ocasionally or maybe set some electrifying traps but I wouldn't like to see him fully focused on that like Snake...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
While I agree with you on that, the problem is not why she got another spot. Let me quote Sakurai when he said:

The real question here is why did he make Lucina's attack characteristics different in first place if she was just going to be an alt. He never did that with any alt before, then why now? I don't think because another character got cut though.

That said, it's Sakurai, so who knows. Maybe he did change her skills so as to justify her being a standalone character because another one was scrapped (if this was true, I would hope it wasn't K Rool!).

Back to K Rool setting traps, I would like him to shoot some spiky balls that remain on stage like Uniras ocasionally or maybe set some electrifying traps but I wouldn't like to see him fully focused on that like Snake...
Lol, it wouldn't have been. I still don't buy the notion that any character was cut, though.

I did figure that K. Rool's Cannonballs would remain on the stage. As far as my thought goes, if you charge the Blunderbuss to a certain point, the Cannonballs will be spiked instead of regular ones. If its a regular cannonball, you can pick them up and throw them. The spiked cannonballs cannot be picked up, obviously, and will remain on the stage until they are destroyed (obviously hitting them directly will cause damage, it'd need to be projectiles) or just disappeared normally.

Naturally, you can shoot the cannonballs off the stage, but if you hit an opponent they'll stop and fall onto the stage.

Another thing I'd love is if K. Rool also has a "sucking" move with the blunderbuss, and he can even suck in cannonballs (which blow up in his face) and the cannonball gets shot off the screen and through anyone in its path if this happens. I'd love to see that, although I'm not sure how it could be pulled off properly.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord

I think the most likely scenario is that Lucina was originally planned to be unique but due to time constraints or something, they decided to just make her a clone.

Last edited:

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
I think the most likely scenario is that Lucina was originally planned to be unique but due to time constraints or something, they decided to just make her a clone.
That would have been a possibility, but Sakurai has already stated that she was originally planned to be one of Marth's alt costumes.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
DK getting 2 newcomers was always plausible.

And we already know that Chrom was never planned, Robin was always going to be the character. Sakurai probably just thought Lucina being separated made more sense and it pads the roster out/makes it look bigger without that much work needed.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
IF we have to get one DK newcomer id take K.Rool over Dixie any day.

I don't hate Dixie but I don't like her to much either. I actually don't think she'd be a semi clone to Diddy as I find it hard to picture her using similar moves. Either way though if she gets in over K.Rool I'll be very disappointed.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
IF we have to get one DK newcomer id take K.Rool over Dixie any day.

I don't hate Dixie but I don't like her to much either. I actually don't think she'd be a semi clone to Diddy as I find it hard to picture her using similar moves. Either way though if she gets in over K.Rool I'll be very disappointed.
Dixie Kong is my favorite DK character. K. Rool is my favorite Nintendo villain and second-favorite DK character. I'd take either one (preferably both), but I've always wanted K. Rool more mostly because I just want him to come back, and because I think he deserves to be playable more. I'd take K. Rool over Dixie any day, but I don't hate her, in fact I actually prefer her to K. Rool. But K. Rool is right behind.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
I usually prefer small, light characters in SSB so I am more gunning for Dixie at this point. Plus I feel more connected to the players you can actually PLAY as. K. Rool would just be icing on the cake. Either way DK needs a newcomer, so I give my unrelenting support for both.

Having said that I think Dixie has a better chance due to the fact that work was done on her for Brawl. I somehow doubt they'd let that go to waste - particularly if they took it into modeling. If I were to put it to numbers:

K. Rool - 55% - The notion of playable stage bosses rings true on some level to me. As much as I'd rather have him on the roster, I fear that our King will end up in this role.

Dixie - 75% - I always hesitate to assign any character much more than 75% without hard evidence, but Dixie seems like such an easy addition I have a hard time playing devil's advocate to myself as to why she wouldn't be in the game. Maybe that's my own bias, but that fact that she was one of the Forbidden Seven is several points in her favor.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
So im just curious what is every-bodies confidence level for K. Rool being playble. Right now Im at a 70% chub due to the kremlings, lack of a dk newcomer and stage.
My personal confidence level is about 85% he's a popular request here and overseas. He's unique and add your reasons aswell. Plus there was a recent discovery today that a lot of the leaks that include Dixie were copies off a fake leak someone on these boards made on 4chan so my hope level has jettisoned once again!

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Part of me wants Dixie Kong first, before K. Rool. Because I feel in the long run it'll be better for DK representation.

I feel like a lot of DK fans just want a DK rep, Dixie or K. Rool. If K. Rool was added, then I feel like some of Dixie's support would disappear and we may not get another DK rep after that. Whereas if Dixie is added first, K. Rool will still be one of the most highly requested characters.

Both need to be in though.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So im just curious what is every-bodies confidence level for K. Rool being playble. Right now Im at a 70% chub due to the kremlings, lack of a dk newcomer and stage.
I'm at 85% right now for K. Rool, personally. There's too much going for him and literally nothing against him.

We should get both, the problem is, we don't know how likely that is. Lucina got in as a bonus, there's no guaranteeing other franchises will get two reps. If any other franchise gets two reps in this game, though, its DK.

Part of me wants Dixie Kong first, before K. Rool. Because I feel in the long run it'll be better for DK representation.

I feel like a lot of DK fans just want a DK rep, Dixie or K. Rool. If K. Rool was added, then I feel like some of Dixie's support would disappear and we may not get another DK rep after that. Whereas if Dixie is added first, K. Rool will still be one of the most highly requested characters.

Both need to be in though.
Nah, after K. Rool everyone will start asking for Dixie as well. Dixie is the third-most important hero in the franchise and K. Rool is the third-most important character overall. If K. Rool doesn't make it into Smash Bros. that's more of a reason not to bring him back in future installments, which could actually hurt his chances more, whereas Dixie has already been brought back in Tropical Freeze. The likelihood is that K. Rool WILL come back in future DK installments, too many people are begging Nintendo to bring back the Kremlings, but its hard to tell at this point.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I'm at 85% right now for K. Rool, personally. There's too much going for him and literally nothing against him.

We should get both, the problem is, we don't know how likely that is. Lucina got in as a bonus, there's no guaranteeing other franchises will get two reps. If any other franchise gets two reps in this game, though, its DK.
Indeed. 4 reps for DK and Fire Emblem seems perfect, while Mario, Pokemon and Zelda get more, and everyone else gets less. That would actually reflect the Nintendo hierarchy well.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

Nah, after K. Rool everyone will start asking for Dixie as well. Dixie is the third-most important hero in the franchise and K. Rool is the third-most important character overall. If K. Rool doesn't make it into Smash Bros. that's more of a reason not to bring him back in future installments, which could actually hurt his chances more, whereas Dixie has already been brought back in Tropical Freeze. The likelihood is that K. Rool WILL come back in future DK installments, too many people are begging Nintendo to bring back the Kremlings, but its hard to tell at this point.
Hey, they're back in Smash at least!

Indeed. 4 reps for DK and Fire Emblem seems perfect, while Mario, Pokemon and Zelda get more, and everyone else gets less. That would actually reflect the Nintendo hierarchy well.
Technically FE doesn't warrent 4 considering their overall lacklustre sales and failure to break out into pop culture.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Technically, Kirby should in theory get 4 before FE, but that said, FE's fourth character is an easy skin turned into a simple clone, so its more justified.

Technically FE doesn't warrent 4 considering their overall lacklustre sales and failure to break out into pop culture.
You also gotta take into fact the notion that FE was only intended to have 3. Lucina was a skin turned into an easy clone. Plus the series is very long-running, even though admittedly its sales are lackluster.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Technically, Kirby should in theory get 4 before FE, but that said, FE's fourth character is an easy skin turned into a simple clone, so its more justified.

You also gotta take into fact the notion that FE was only intended to have 3. Lucina was a skin turned into an easy clone. Plus the series is very long-running, even though admittedly its sales are lackluster.
Technically it doesn't even need 3. It has never found much success. Star Fox for example, has over twice the number of sales with less than half the amount of games.

Top Bottom