• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
in the Rabbid Kong battle, they also used some DKC sound effects when the Bananas falls in the ground; =)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Enough about Rabbid Kong, is Donkey Kong in the game?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Rabbid Kong is a Rabbid fused with either DK or some DK memorabilia.

It literally can't be anything else.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Rabbid Kong is a Rabbid fused with either DK or some DK memorabilia.

It literally can't be anything else.
I didn't intentionally mean to debate the origin, I was just trying to answer Diddy as succinctly as possible. Either way the actual DK isn't in the game as far as I could tell, and I am absolutely certain Diddy doesn't count Rabbid Kong as an appearance.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Speaking of Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle and its distant relation to the Donkey Kong series, Grant Kirkhope did a brief live performance of the opening to the DK Rap at the game's launch-event at Nintendo NY;

speaking of rabbids i just got the idea of rabbid rool or rabbid k.rool whichever works.

idea 1 rabbid k.rool that looks like a rabbit i guess.....

idea 2 (the good one)
bascially it would be an even more insane k.rool that foams from the mouth like he has rabies

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
For anyone that hasn't watched these 2 part videos yet, I highly recommend it if you would like to get an idea on pretty much everything that the Kroc has to offer.

They mainly go over...
  • Pros and Cons - (It's mainly 1 con though)
  • Character Set Up - character concept, playstyle, stats, the theme for K. Rool's attacks and animations
  • Moveset - jab, tilts, smash attacks, dash attack, grab, grab throws, aerials, specials, final smash
  • Little Details - costumes/alts, fight entrance, animations, music, Easter eggs, etc.

To cjszero01, psb123, and Delzethin, great job guys!

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Since Yooka-Laylee has occasionally come up around here due to its connections to the-Rare-that-was, and the fact that it had the DK series somewhere within its DNA, I think that some folks here might find this new DKC-descendant interesting, too;

Former RARE owners have "no comment" on bringing their mobile rhythm platformer Kroko Bongo to Switch

FortuneFish is the new game studio from former RARE owners, the Stamper Bros. They've released Kroko Bongo on mobile devices, and as you can see, it's very heavily influenced by Donkey Kong Country. When the Stamper bros. were asked about this game potentially coming to Switch, they had this to say.

I'm thinking they Stampers are just playing coy for now, as their response obviously leaves the door open for a Switch port.
The Stamper brothers' new company, FortuneFish, has released a game called Kroko Bongo - it's a rhythm-based platform game that clearly has some pretty strong influences from the Donkey Kong Country series, as well as looking like it has a fair bit in common with Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Dedede's Drum Dash Deluxe, and HarmoKnight. They also took quite a playful tone in their response to being asked if the game would be released on the Switch, so with any luck it'll show up at some point!

The most amusing thing, though, is that, along with all of the other DK influences that're plain to see, the protagonist is a crocodile who bears more than a passing resemblance to the Kremlings of old, both in design, and in the use of "K"s in the "Kroko" in the game's title. It's nice to see the Kremlings getting a reference from their old company's owners, all these years on! :laugh:

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Kroko Bongo..? Yeah I don't really know what to think about it. It seems influenced by DKC, sure. But it reminds me way more of the Returns series than Rare's own creations. Outside of Kroko's own appearance, which seems heavily inspired by Kremlings indeed. Certain parts even remind me of Jungle Beat. The minecart segments definitely come straight from DKCR and TF. A spiritual revival of DKC could've been way more grandiose if they just sticked to their own stuff.....

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Come to think of it, I don't ever remember posting in this thread. All the same, the King has my support. Once a Kutthroat always a Kutthroat.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
A spiritual revival of DKC could've been way more grandiose if they just sticked to their own stuff.....
I think they did the best they could to pay tribute. ;) After all, they don't hold any rights to the stuff that they worked on with Nintendo back then, and going too far with homages could also potentially be problematic, too (see the case of "Herlock Sholmes" for an example of how that sort of thing can cause trouble :laugh:).

What I find most interesting is that this shows that there's another Rare-descended company that's happy to pay tribute to the old days. Folks speculated about Playtonic working on a DK game with Nintendo someday, and now I can't help but wonder the same thing about FortuneFish...

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
So there's a Nintendo Direct tomorrow.

Whilst I don't expect a Smash appearance at all and would be surprised to see a DKCR3 announced, one suggestion I see being bandied about a lot is a port of Tropical Freeze, potentially bundled with DKCR and the added content it got on 3DS.

How would the thread feel about that? Whilst I've completed DKCR I never owned a Wii U or Tropical Freeze so would love the opportunity to do it here.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed

Whilst I don't expect a Smash appearance at all
Actually, something happened earlier today relating to Smash and this Nintendo Direct... :laugh:

Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS auto-tagged by YouTube for this week's Nintendo Direct

Make of it what you will. I don't even know what to make of it. I know that on YouTube, sometimes game footage gets an auto-tag, and also tags are generated from what the creator types in. This tag is coming from somewhere. Now if it's an accident or a leftover tag from a previous direct, that I don't know. I guess we can speculate for the next couple of days! Thanks to FangztheWolf for the heads up!
As the article says, make of it what you will. ;)

and would be surprised to see a DKCR3 announced, one suggestion I see being bandied about a lot is a port of Tropical Freeze, potentially bundled with DKCR and the added content it got on 3DS.

How would the thread feel about that? Whilst I've completed DKCR I never owned a Wii U or Tropical Freeze so would love the opportunity to do it here.
It'd be ok, and I might pick it up if it happened, but personally I'd rather see something new.

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
After two long years I'm back to support K.Rool again :/
It's very harsh, but I still thinks that along the Nintendo old characters (not Splatoon or Arms), K.Rool is one of the most possible to come. I'm certain that he was GREATLY voted in the Smash ballot, since they worked in a Mii Design for him but nothing for Dixie...

With this new Direct incoming and the DK Tag in the Direct announcement, the K.Rool dreams wants to rekindle in my heart.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
After two long years I'm back to support K.Rool again :/
It's very harsh, but I still thinks that along the Nintendo old characters (not Splatoon or Arms), K.Rool is one of the most possible to come. I'm certain that he was GREATLY voted in the Smash ballot, since they worked in a Mii Design for him but nothing for Dixie...

With this new Direct incoming and the DK Tag in the Direct announcement, the K.Rool dreams wants to rekindle in my heart.
Wait, what DK tag are you talking about?

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I don't want to create any confusion with this: I'm not sure about the source or anything like that. I just saw in the NintenZone social thread:
Screenshot_2017-09-12-13-32-04.png

Whilst I don't expect a Smash appearance at all and would be surprised to see a DKCR3 announced, one suggestion I see being bandied about a lot is a port of Tropical Freeze, potentially bundled with DKCR and the added content it got on 3DS.

My first thought is that if this is true its a double edged sword.

On one hand I think, at least its something. A port of TF gives Dixie and the DKC series as a whole more exposure too. Perhaps with some new features...

On the other hand it could mean that a new DKC game may be a couple of years away?

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I don't want to create any confusion with this: I'm not sure about the source or anything like that. I just saw in the NintenZone social thread:View attachment 132598
Ahh, interesting - thanks very much!

My first thought is that if this is true its a double edged sword.
Don't worry, it's not any sort of rumour - it's just something that the GameXplain guys said that they'd like to see in their recent Nintendo Direct discussion video. ;)

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Ahh, interesting - thanks very much!

Don't worry, it's not any sort of rumour - it's just something that the GameXplain guys said that they'd like to see in their recent Nintendo Direct discussion video. ;)
It's not just them; I've read it a few different places by now.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
It's not just them; I've read it a few different places by now.
Curious... Though, at least in my experience, it's not uncommon for some of their ideas to morph into rumours along the way. I don't know if that's what's happened in this case, though.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Curious... Though, at least in my experience, it's not uncommon for some of their ideas to morph into rumours along the way. I don't know if that's what's happened in this case, though.
I don't think so; mostly I just see TF brought up on many lists of Wii U games that need porting with several before that absurdly long video! :p Absolutely not a rumour and just an idea I've seen raised repeatedly that I thought worth discussing.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I don't think so; mostly I just see TF brought up on many lists of Wii U games that need porting with several before that absurdly long video! :p Absolutely not a rumour and just an idea I've seen raised repeatedly that I thought worth discussing.
Ahh, ok! My apologies for misunderstanding! :4dedede:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Tropical Freeze is a wonderful game, and know that more people would be able to play it's a good feeling.
But maybe this doesn't mean that DKCR3 is so far away. There are any statement that Retro is working on Metroid Prime 4?
The second game became closer to the old series with all the Kongs, David Wise music, and the possibility of using not motion controls.Maybe a third game could bring the other assist animals and maaaaybe the Throw the other Kong mechanic. But mainly, it SHOULD bring K.Rool back.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
There are any statement that Retro is working on Metroid Prime 4?
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/06/...d-by-retro-still-has-longtime-series-producer
Nintendo has revealed that the recently-announced Metroid Prime 4 is not developed by Retro Studios, the developer who made the first three games.

Instead, Nintendo’s Bill Trinen revealed at a group interview that the game is being built by a “talented new development team.” Despite the shift, the game will still be overseen by longtime producer Kensuke Tanabe, who produced the previous Metroid Prime games.
Though it's worth noting that Kensuke Tanabe was the Producer for Donkey Kong Country Returns and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. Either someone else has taken over the role for [New] Donkey Kong Country [3], he's doing both Metroid Prime 4 and [New] Donkey Kong Country [3] at the same time (Director of MP4, Producer of DKC), or it's not being worked on yet.

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Producers are people who pretend to work into something but only gives a minor direction if needed. He must be really working into something else.
But to be honest I would rather to have a new DK character into Smash than a new DKCR game. I feel like I played DKCTF yesterday.

(I'm well aware that this is not always the case about producers, it's just a joke)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
A Tropical Freeze port, new DKC and Smash Switch as Wii U port would already make.me buy a Switch. Guess I'd even sell my 3DS for it. That with Breath of the Wild and potentially Mario Odessey makes for a solid enough line up. Wouldn't buy games beyond thag still after a year or so maybe.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I feel like I'm the only person that doesn't want a Smash 4 port for the switch. I would be too afraid of Nintendo making it the only Smash game for the switch, essentially robbing us of a new installment.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
All Smash games safe for 64 and Melee all basically had their engine hugely based on the previous installment. If Sakurai isnt the main director, it's the safest bet. Am sure Smash might even get crossover games.. like a Smash game mixed with a 3rd party fighting game.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I feel like I'm the only person that doesn't want a Smash 4 port for the switch. I would be too afraid of Nintendo making it the only Smash game for the switch, essentially robbing us of a new installment.
Meanwhile, I feel like I'm the only person who's kept tabs on Bandai-Namco's "Smash 6" job-listing and other information about major Switch releases that commenced development at the same time and were made from the ground up during that timeframe (Super Mario Odyssey, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, and, a year later, only getting two years in development, Splatoon 2), and doesn't quite get why so many people think it'll be a no-frills port. ;)

That job-listing went live in April of 2014 - before Smash 3DS/Wii U were finished - and it doesn't take a 200-strong first-party team just shy of three-and-a-half years at the time of writing to make a no-frills port of a game whose engine was self-evidently designed for easy scalability. My feeling at this point is that the engine was re-used, but looking at Super Mario Odyssey, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, and Splatoon 2, I can't imagine it being a no-frills port of the previous title.

As far as I know, the only sources claiming that it'd be a no-frills port were the same group that claimed that Splatoon The Enhanced Port Definitely Not A Sequel was a launch-day pack-in with a second Switch SKU that had more storage-space on-board, that the Switch would only come in grey at launch and white later, that The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild had been delayed until late summer with what was later named as Super Mario Odyssey being the big launch-day title, and that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe would have new cups. If I'm remembering correctly, one of this group also claimed that Shovel Knight was the winner of the Smash Ballot, and that he would be the first of multiple ballot-pick DLC items.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm going to have to agree with Diddy Kong Diddy Kong on this one. Is there really anything that can be gained through a new game that can't be gained through an updated port?

Characters, stages, music, and new modes can all be added to the game with an updated port and even more can be added through DLC in the future. That doesn't mean it will happen. It also isn't absolute that we get all that in a brand new game. Just because we get a brand new game doesn't mean Wavedashing or the Subspace Emissary is magically going to get more likely. Taking all that into account and with the thought that characters have an increased likelihood to get cut in a brand new game, I can firmly say I'd much rather have an updated port as the stand alone Smash game for Switch. Just give me some more characters and new stages and I'll happily take Smash for Switch as the consoles Smash game.

Last edited:

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I'm going to have to agree with Diddy Kong Diddy Kong on this one. Is there really anything that can be gained through a new game that can't be gained through an updated port?

Characters, stages, music, and new modes can all be added to the game with an updated port and even more can be added through DLC in the future. That doesn't mean it will happen. It also isn't absolute that we get all that in a brand new game. Just because we get a brand new game doesn't mean Wavedashing or the Subspace Emissary is magically going to get more likely. Taking all that into account and with the thought that characters have an increased likelihood to get cut in a brand new game, I can firmly say I'd much rather have an updated port as the stand alone Smash game for Switch. Just give me some more characters and new stages and I'll happily take Smash for Switch as the consoles Smash game.
By that logic, there should only be updated ports of Smash 4 until humanity goes extinct. Is that what we want? The same game with a few extra knick knacks? "Smash Bros Wii U for Switch Deluxe Edition". What about the next Nintendo system? Do we want "Smash Bros for Wii U for Switch Deluxe Edition for Switch U 2 Black Ops"? Don't get me wrong, Smash 4 is my favorite Smash, but holding onto the past impedes the future.

Last edited:
Top Bottom