• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I know, even when Ridley was revealed the Japanese reaction was like "Yeah, that's cool and all but where is K Rool"

But during Brawl people used to argue that the Japanese dislike K Rool
That's unfortunate, but sounds about right for Smash predictions. I get people vehemently supporting certain characters, and that's the fun of speculation, but I never got the opposite as much (Unless it's something like Shrek, in which case, I won't stop anyone). Smash 4 days were rough enough, so I can't even imagine how bad it might have been during Brawl when there was so much more on the table regarding potential characters and online communities were probably a little more unstable overall.

I hope all of the polling regarding Japan is correct with regards to King K. Rool being one of the top most requested newcomers (Sometimes even first, which is insane and pleasing to me at the same time). I think that would signify more than anything he'd almost have to be playable with such huge fan demand of a realizable character basically worldwide.

Also, comes on Kutthroats, the Ashley thread is fast approaching, we've got to keep this thread top dog in terms of replies... Though, with no news, that's much easier said than done. And boy have this community been a thing for so long in comparison to Ashley's much more recent popularity, so we're even more out of things to discuss in comparison.

I obviously support both, just trying to poke a little fun with the two biggest communities on Smash Boards now and encourage discussion in the continued absence of anything new about Ultimate.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
So what are you guys imagining K Rools model will be like? More of the Paon design with Rare touches or more Rare with a little Paon or a perfect balance?

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
I think it will be the Mii guy in the K. Rool costume and they'll just pretend it's the real him and hope nobody notices.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Rare design all the way. His Mii costume was based on his Rare design, and it's not like the Paon era is well remembered.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
The final boss of the next DK game should be K. Rool riding a chimera of the animal buddies. Created when K. Rool gathers the 7 crystal banana shards at the end of the game. It was his one wish the crystal banana granted him. K. Rool had promised the Kremlings he'd wish for Crocodile Isle back. But no.

Rambi's body, Squitter's legs, Enguarde's face, Glimmer's flashlight, Squawk's wings.

Now K. Rool has an animal buddy, too. You see that, Kongs? You aren't so special now, huh?

The game ends with the Kongs allying with Kremling defector leaders, Klubba and Kalypso, and sending K. Rool packing. The Kremling defectors don't like the Kongs but an uneasy peace emerges when Lanky's pure heart activates the crystal banana power again. Lanky wishes what K. Rool did not -- let Crocodile Isle rise again! Let all who perished return! Let Clapper the seal LIVE! Mayor Pauline makes a cameo at the end congratulating the post-K.Rool Kremlings in their new Crocodile Isle embassy in New Donk City.

In the final cutscene of the game, a broken buzzed out K. Rool glares at DK and Crocodile Isle form a distance.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well this is the moment of truth for the leak

If there's no direct announcement today or tomorrow it's fake

And the 3 stuff shown was lucky guesses if fake

Jimmy42893

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jimmy42893
Also, comes on Kutthroats, the Ashley thread is fast approaching, we've got to keep this thread top dog in terms of replies... Though, with no news, that's much easier said than done. And boy have this community been a thing for so long in comparison to Ashley's much more recent popularity, so we're even more out of things to discuss in comparison.
I would guess the sudden growth in the Ashley thread has something to do with WarioWare: Gold, which is understandable. (This thread would blow up, too, if Nintendo would give us something more than a street sign to talk about. :glare:)

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
probably a fake but thought I throw it out just to wait for Sunday

View attachment 153761
It's a fake, since that one is based on the Paon design. They would more likely base it on the Rare design if he was actually in the game, though I would be surprised if it was otherwise.

On the plus side, it's nice to see Dixie Kong in a 'leaked' image with the king.

Last edited:

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
It's a fake, since that one is based on the Paon design. They would more likely base it on the Rare design if he was actually in the game, though I would be surprised if it was otherwise.

On the plus side, it's nice to see Dixie Kong in a 'leaked' image with the king.
they will most likely use the paon design. the model fits better with the art style of smash wiiU and ultimate. they could have a rare design for a costume but I really really think they would use the paon look

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Are the fake guys even trying?

What is paon? I gather that the "paon design" is K. Rool's modern design, but what does paon mean?
Paon was a study that developed some Donkey Kong games after Rare. They redesigned K. Rool in a different way, more cartoony.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Gotta say, personally I don’t care which design they use. I prefer Rare’s darker colors, but I just want him in. I think the Mii outfit actually made a nice blend of both styles.

But he does need Kaptain as an alt costume.

Also since DK64 is my only DK game, I vote more love for that beyond the rap remix they butchered. Give us back the original with all verses, and maybe some more DK64 music and stages!

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Had a neat thought for a trailer when I was walking home last night.

It starts off in the Fire Emblem world, on a battlefield. Someone points out the enemy is firing cannonballs and that they resemble alligators. Another person mentions they're crocodiles and the commander in the center is King K. Rool. (Cue splash) Next we see some gameplay footage of K. Rool fighting the Fire Emblem characters as the commentator mentions Rool being goofy, silly with all his costumes while stating he's not to be underestimated, defeating all of them. The commentator mentions he's too strong to defeat. Then comes Dixie giving her support with DK and Diddy, DK going in a barrel cannon and launching himself at K. Rool, cut to the logo.

Lastly, another Fire Emblem character appears at the end, serving as a Roy echo. And yes I can see every other non-echo FE character getting their own echoes just to promote the current FE games. Nintendo won't pass that opportunity up.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Hmm.... wouldn't they of announced a Direct today at this point? Nintendo almost always does that in the morning, and there hasn't been an announcement yet, so...

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Hmm.... wouldn't they of announced a Direct today at this point? Nintendo almost always does that in the morning, and there hasn't been an announcement yet, so...
There have been times Nintendo has blindsided us with a direct announcement a day before, so an announcement can still happen.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
There have been times Nintendo has blindsided us with a direct announcement a day before, so an announcement can still happen.
I suppose there's always a possibility something can still happen... I actually can't recall them doing that on a Saturday, but that's just me.

StormC

Smash Hero
Pushdustin's observations from Sourcegaming and other anecdotal observations of Japanese fan community actually suggests K. Rool is popular there too. In fact, he is one of the most popular characters there, period. That K. Rool is just 1 character is known there too. It's actually mentioned as a mistake in his Wikipedia profile in Japanese! It's just an error introduced by Smash Bros Brawl. The error isn't even consistent with the other trophies in Smash Bros Brawl. Wrinkly's for example states that "King K. Rool" was one of her students, suggesting both K. Rools are the same person.
Dixie's Melee trophy also says she teamed up with Diddy to save Donkey Kong from King K. Rool.

The Smash trophies are riddled with weird errors and shouldn't be taken at face value.

they will most likely use the paon design. the model fits better with the art style of smash wiiU and ultimate. they could have a rare design for a costume but I really really think they would use the paon look
Why would they use the Paon design after going through the trouble to recreate his classic design from scratch for a Mii costume?

EDIT: Whoops, accidental double post.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Nobody answered my question about what paon is :(
Paon Co. is the developer that was given the rights to make Donkey Kong games after Rare was bought out by Microsoft. They mostly made spinoff games like Jungle Climber and Barrel Blast. Later, the rights were handed to Retro Studios, which is how we got DKCR and Tropical Freeze.

EDIT: :ultgreninja:‘d

Last edited:

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
well samurai used the
Why would they use the Paon design after going through the trouble to recreate his classic design from scratch for a Mii costume?

EDIT: Whoops, accidental double post.
well sakurai used the modern look for the Kremlings in smash run if that tells us anything. I just think the paon design works better. not because it's better than the rare design but it has that more cartoony look to it that smash ultimate has

StormC

Smash Hero
well samurai used the
well sakurai used the modern look for the Kremlings in smash run if that tells us anything. I just think the paon design works better. not because it's better than the rare design but it has that more cartoony look to it that smash ultimate has
Using modern designs for generic kill-'em-quick NPCs and using a brand new design for a paid playable costume are two different worlds. (And the Klaptrap in Kongo Jungle in Ultimate has been redesigned to more closely resemble the original DKC art.)

The Rare design is from games people have actually played and remembered fondly as classics. I suspect K. Rool is going to get the treatment characters like Mega Man and Cloud did with a focus on their original design. Even Ridley is based mostly on his Super Metroid design.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I think Rare K. Rool is cartoonier than Paon K. Rool. Just look at his big googly eyes on the Rare K. Rool and the overbite with the big goofy teeth. Rare K. Rool manages to be both super cartoony and kinda intimidating. He's both at the same time!

Paon K. Rool is like when you wash a dark pants improperly or too much. He's a "faded out" version of Rare K. Rool. The pizzazz gone. The zest for life destroyed. He's naked, afraid, playing baseball, and rambling about Jungle medals.

Rare K. Rool is loving life, proud, incredibly stupid, kind of scary, kind of cute, lovably tacky, and hamming it up. The camera loves him!

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I'm sorry to say, but Rare K. Rool is a bit of an early CGI mess... He looks like a bunch of rolled up balls of clay, stretched and pulled to form his anatomy (heck, the dude doesn't even have nostrils).

There are conceptual elements I like more about Rare's K. Rool (the golden belly, the big crown, the tail), but all in all, the PAON redesign is a design that looks like an actual intentional design, instead of just happenstance due to early CGI limitations. We can see emotion, character, expressions, real physicality, and so much more that most people would associate with fully drawn and animated character when it comes to PAON's K. Rool.

I'd prefer an entire redesign for Smash, one that takes the great conceptual elements from Rare's K. Rool, and the more grounded anatomically correct design of PAON's K. Rool, and get a nice looking Crocodilian King that doesn't look like he came out of the early 90s.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
u
Using modern designs for generic kill-'em-quick NPCs and using a brand new design for a paid playable costume are two different worlds. (And the Klaptrap in Kongo Jungle in Ultimate has been redesigned to more closely resemble the original DKC art.)

The Rare design is from games people have actually played and remembered fondly as classics. I suspect K. Rool is going to get the treatment characters like Mega Man and Cloud did with a focus on their original design. Even Ridley is based mostly on his Super Metroid design.
until the time where k rool is playable, we will know for sure what sakruai does with him. could be a combination of both but we won't know right now

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm sorry to say, but Rare K. Rool is a bit of an early CGI mess... He looks like a bunch of rolled up balls of clay, stretched and pulled to form his anatomy (heck, the dude doesn't even have nostrils).

There are conceptual elements I like more about Rare's K. Rool (the golden belly, the big crown, the tail), but all in all, the PAON redesign is a design that looks like an actual intentional design, instead of just happenstance due to early CGI limitations. We can see emotion, character, expressions, real physicality, and so much more that most people would associate with fully drawn and animated character when it comes to PAON's K. Rool.

I'd prefer an entire redesign for Smash, one that takes the great conceptual elements from Rare's K. Rool, and the more grounded anatomically correct design of PAON's K. Rool, and get a nice looking Crocodilian King that doesn't look like he came out of the early 90s.
It isn't rocket science. Just use the costume as a basis with tweaks. Fans have already cooked up pretty good mockups:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Not really a big fan of his face there. His mouth and eyes look really awkwardly placed (makes him look, sad or maybe sympathetic?...), but at least the rest of him comes from the Mii Fighter costume... Even so, I think they could update his design even further to really modernize him. Sort of like what they did with Ridley.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
I think that the Rare K. Rool is way better than the Paon version, his shapes and forms got more personality, the long mouth, the crown, the clear point of interest in the eye or the strange chest armor, with some mistakes for the early 3D design, but still well done. Paon design feels more like a random fat crocodile, the shape is not as clear as the old version, the eye is less visible, chest armor gone, etc... Hope that if K. Roool finally make it his design get the better things from his early years.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
to me paon looks the most polished. if he was a character, it look even better. I mean the rare design would look better than the one from smash melee but wiiU version seems just right

B7qu2ncIMAEjKRs.jpg

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
to me paon looks the most polished. if he was a character, it look even better. I mean the rare design would look better than the one from smash melee but wiiU version seems just right

View attachment 153775
That Melee trophy is actually one of the biggest reasons I became a huge supporter for King K. Rool pre-Brawl.
I used to browse the trophies and fantasize on who would make a great character out from the designs. King K. Rool was without a doubt my most favourite. Good times.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
That Melee trophy is ugly as sin... Like, the perfect example of an amateur clay figure with poor anatomy and features... And it's just aesthetically gross.

Top Bottom