• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

StormC

Smash Hero
Ridley is not a drag-and-drop of his Other M design either, despite that actually having a fully functioning model in Wii U.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
The project plan news only helps our case, in my opinion.

Each new piece of information seems to point towards our King making the cut...it‘s almost too good to be true!

BTW, anyone noticed the change to Bowser Jr.‘s neutral B?
The cannonball now spins slightly while flying...could this change be in place to differentiate Jr‘s projectile from another cannonball? HMMMM?!

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I wholeheartedly believe that the Donkey Kong series is underrepresented and needs more characters and Smash in general could use more villains. I made these to fully show my support to the Kremling King

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
The project plan news only helps our case, in my opinion.

Each new piece of information seems to point towards our King making the cut...it‘s almost too good to be true!

BTW, anyone noticed the change to Bowser Jr.‘s neutral B?
The cannonball now spins slightly while flying...could this change be in place to differentiate Jr‘s projectile from another cannonball? HMMMM?!
I missed that. Video?

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
The projectile of the cannon ball has definitely been changed for Bowser Jr. whether that does actually mean something or its just a coincidence. To add a spin to it seems like a needless change though its the sort of thing in my mind that you would remove instead not make something more complicated. Maybe there is a reason for it, after seeing that move originally that's what pretty much killed off my hope for K. Rool finally and I knew it was all over.

I think if they are going to do a K. Rool reveal it should be right at the end of a direct they put up the Nintendo credits but they are actually fake K.redits which people aren't going to notice if they do it properly. Then have K. Rool come in.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
If they ever announced both a new DKC game with the Kremlings along with K. Rool in Smash on the same Direct, I might actually go crazy with all the hype I'd be bringing out of me. That'd be a real dream come true. One can hope such a thing does happen in the future.

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
Next character we get I'm sure will be the big third party

After that I'm banking on a duel king k rool and (non echo) Dixie Kong reveal

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
If I recall correctly, Giga Bowser was created as a callback to the earlier Bowser designs, where he was more aggressive looking, because Sakurai wasn't fond of Bowser's more recent, cartoonier appearance.

Maybe he'd think the same about K. Rool...?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If I recall correctly, Giga Bowser was created as a callback to the earlier Bowser designs, where he was more aggressive looking, because Sakurai wasn't fond of Bowser's more recent, cartoonier appearance.

Maybe he'd think the same about K. Rool...?
It would definitely feel awkward if Toshihide Tsuchiya's voice portrayal of K. Rool gets used, and yet Kenny James's voice portrayal of Bowser still isn't being used. I mean seriously, Bowser no longer resembles his Brawl incarnation.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I have a hunch that K. Rool's character model would combine elements of both the Rare iteration and the more modern one depicted in Brawl and Smash 4's trophies, the same way Ridley's Ultimate model is kind of an amalgamation of all previous Ridley iterations. I'd love to see a slightly more detailed "modern" K. Rool with the golden stomach, personally.

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
It would definitely feel awkward if Toshihide Tsuchiya's voice portrayal of K. Rool gets used, and yet Kenny James's voice portrayal of Bowser still isn't being used. I mean seriously, Bowser no longer resembles his Brawl incarnation.
Am I the only one who actually prefers the way Donkey Kong and Bowser sound in the Smash games..? Haha I like the more serious approach to those characters. I like Donkey Kong sounding more like an ape then all goofy and silly and whatnot. Same goes for Bowser. Not really a fan of how he sounds in Mario games now. I liked his voice better in games such as Mario 64. But that's why I've been happy that Smash has used the monster noises as opposed to the sillier voices, but that's just me.

Come to think of it, I think I actually like the way they sound in Melee the best. Donkey Kong sounds good, and Bowser sounds the same as in Mario 64.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I have a hunch that K. Rool's character model would combine elements of both the Rare iteration and the more modern one depicted in Brawl and Smash 4's trophies, the same way Ridley's Ultimate model is kind of an amalgamation of all previous Ridley iterations. I'd love to see a slightly more detailed "modern" K. Rool with the golden stomach, personally.
The Ballot, and in general, has shown us just how much Nintendo is listening.
I wouldnt be surprised if K rool used the version from his inevitable next appearance in his main DK games.

K.K. Rooler ♫

Smash Rookie
I second this...I'd be perfectly fine if KKR's model was inspired by both old and new, but it'll be interesting to see what the final result looks like if he's revealed. I have high expectations, just please don't botch it lol.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Yep, you can deffinetly see a slight spin on his cannon ball in this video when he shoots Luigi... I agree it's a pointless change and could be changed due to another canonball attack coming????
https://youtu.be/fZ2dm9EoJfE

The evidence is certainly building... especially if the game is built off the same engine as Smash 4 I can see them changing the attack as they would use previous attack assets for something so similar would probably feel the need to make them unique to one another

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Am I the only one who actually prefers the way Donkey Kong and Bowser sound in the Smash games..? Haha I like the more serious approach to those characters. I like Donkey Kong sounding more like an ape then all goofy and silly and whatnot. Same goes for Bowser. Not really a fan of how he sounds in Mario games now. I liked his voice better in games such as Mario 64. But that's why I've been happy that Smash has used the monster noises as opposed to the sillier voices, but that's just me.

Come to think of it, I think I actually like the way they sound in Melee the best. Donkey Kong sounds good, and Bowser sounds the same as in Mario 64.
My main problem is that with Smash 3DS / Wii U and Smash Ultimate utilizing a more cartoonish art style, instead of Brawl's more realistic art style, it makes no sense for Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, and Bowser to sound like real world animals in a cartoonish environment. And when you look at the screenshot below, that further shows how out of place it is to see Donkey Kong still sounding like a real world gorilla.

Of course, there's no way that Ridley will ever sound cartoonish, since he's from a more realistic franchise. As for Charizard, it has always made various roars and grunts, even in the Pokemon TV series. And then for Dedede, because he doesn't have much, if any voice clips in the Kirby titles, Sakurai's voice portrayal of him is pretty much his only good option.

GeoBantra

Smash Rookie
Not to be a pest but the link I got to the K. Rool Discord did not work. I want to get in on the fun, too!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Yes, we have to keep the interest up.

It's tempting to be the armchair Sakurai roleplayer and predict that a character like K. Rool would not be chosen for DLC. There may be merits to that point of view, but it is far from certain. And ultimately, it just hurts our chance if we accept being disappointed because we see disappointment as an inevitability.

We need to keep stubbornly pushing through.

Of course, we have no idea what the day 1 roster will be like. He may already be in and we don't know about it. But it's always good to think ahead and think of all possibilities. I think that's how the Kremling Kampaign got started in the first place.

BTW, something you can do today is probably RT/favorite Kremling Kampiagner's tweet to Sakurai!

And resist your inner pedant commenting about Bowser Jr or Mewtwo. Lol. Think BIG picture. And BIG PICTURE the message is clear. Help amplify it!
One- Bowser Jr Isnt Yoshi's enemy, Baby Bowser, sure. Though Id say Kamek. Still, Baby Bowser would be a good Echo! Since it seems the Koopalings do not count, nor Alpha. Maybe they just arent revealed yet.

Two- I dont see K Rool as unlikely. This is the game where they are most listening to fans. If anything I think this is K Rools best change yet. This seems to be about filling in major roster additions of the past.

No clue. There's been no announcements at all.

They usually either reveal dates for a new character reveal, such as with Robin/Lucina, or they tie in with events/directs like Greninja/Palutena/Pac-Man/Mii Fighters.

If anything though, I'd probably say one is likely either in July or August. It really depends on how many new fighters we're to get and how many they want to reveal before release. If we have like 7 more newcomers and they want to keep, say... 3 secret, then we'd probably get one every other month or so maybe?
We could get some hidden characters, sure. But considering they know they want DLC this time, and last games the characters kept getting leaked, we may see some more stealth drops with some free DLC to start.

Sometimes they revealed 2 characters at a time, like with Lucina and Robin in one trailer, and occasionally they would throw us a reveal trailer out of the blue, but yeah i’m hoping we get one reveal a month, that would be great.

It may start to feel predictable then, to be fair...

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman

Yeah I’ve come to view the more bestial sounding noises from DK/Bowser as another fine touch that Smash provides to distinguish them as characters. This is the only context where they sound like actual animals, I’m pretty sure.

The hissing/guttural noises of a crocodile would serve as a very intimidating way of representing what K. Rool really is, though I wouldn’t be totally opposed to a mix of their (DK/Bowser/Rool) canon voices with the animal noises when they’re sent flying or hit by a powerful attack.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
One- Bowser Jr Isnt Yoshi's enemy, Baby Bowser, sure. Though Id say Kamek. Still, Baby Bowser would be a good Echo! Since it seems the Koopalings do not count, nor Alpha. Maybe they just arent revealed yet.
Eeeeeeeehhh...

It doesn't matter a lot. He's the closest aproximation to Baby Bowser we'll see in Smash, frankly. Baby Bowser wouldn't even be a proper echo, and who wants that, when they look and sound almost exactly the same, without even any defining color differences?

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
I actually kinda miss the way the DK characters sounded in games like DK64...

But when K. Rool gets in (no if, I believe he's in), I'm ok with him having crocodile noises, even though I really want his maniacal laugh.

Last edited:

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
My main problem is that with Smash 3DS / Wii U and Smash Ultimate utilizing a more cartoonish art style, instead of Brawl's more realistic art style, it makes no sense for Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, and Bowser to sound like real world animals in a cartoonish environment. And when you look at the screenshot below, that further shows how out of place it is to see Donkey Kong still sounding like a real world gorilla.

Of course, there's no way that Ridley will ever sound cartoonish, since he's from a more realistic franchise. As for Charizard, it has always made various roars and grunts, even in the Pokemon TV series. And then for Dedede, because he doesn't have much, if any voice clips in the Kirby titles, Sakurai's voice portrayal of him is pretty much his only good option.
That's a fair point. I definitely thought the noises were more appropriate in Melee and Brawl than they are in Smash 4. While I agree with you on Bowser favoring a more cartoonish look, I personally feel like Donkey Kong in particular is a mixture between serious and cartoonish. He certainly looks cartoony when he gets hit or does certain things, but then looks more serious when his model is idle or when he throws out most of his attacks. It honestly reminds me of the original Donkey Kong Country games, where I felt like they walked a fine line between cartoony and serious. But I completely understand your point. I wish he didn't have some of the silly animations that he has like the one above. It always makes me feel like he's supposed to be comedy relief haha.

Untouch

Smash Master
Yep, you can deffinetly see a slight spin on his cannon ball in this video when he shoots Luigi... I agree it's a pointless change and could be changed due to another canonball attack coming????
https://youtu.be/fZ2dm9EoJfE

The evidence is certainly building... especially if the game is built off the same engine as Smash 4 I can see them changing the attack as they would use previous attack assets for something so similar would probably feel the need to make them unique to one another
I think if K-Rool hypothetically has a blunderbuss attack, the cannonballs would work like his DKC2 boss fight, where they're spiked.

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
I think if K-Rool hypothetically has a blunderbuss attack, the cannonballs would work like his DKC2 boss fight, where they're spiked.
How do you think they could go about implementing the different trajectories/styles of the cannonballs? Or would that be a custom move thing?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
How do you think they could go about implementing the different trajectories/styles of the cannonballs? Or would that be a custom move thing?
Frankly I'm hoping custom moves don't come back, and maybe let the trajectories be a charge-based thing. I'd always have the canonball land on the ground and grow spikes though, with a limit of two on the field at once.

Untouch

Smash Master
I think we'd just get the main cannonballs.
Jr's cannonballs dont have gravity to them, where K-Rool's do. After they land the spikes stick out. (At least during the first phase of his fight, it gets kind of complicated past that).

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Jr's cannonballs dont have gravity to them, where K-Rool's do. After they land the spikes stick out. (At least during the first phase of his fight, it gets kind of complicated past that).
It's honestly the perfect way to differentiate them. Not like we don't have completely unique characters with a similar B move or 2. (Literally every Counter)

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
That's probably the ideal way to implement them. I'm imagining a lot of tricky zoning play with the positioning of the cannon ball/the player/the vacuum effect from Rool's blunderbuss. Like if he activates the vacuum and you happen to be between the ball and Rool, the ball briefly stuns you/pulls you to him at a much quicker pace. Whether or not the ball knocks you up/down/stuns would depend on how much velocity it's gained, something like that.

God he is so much fun to brainstorm *_*

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
That's probably the ideal way to implement them. I'm imagining a lot of tricky zoning play with the positioning of the cannon ball/the player/the vacuum effect from Rool's blunderbuss. Like if he activates the vacuum and you happen to be between the ball and Rool, the ball briefly stuns you/pulls you to him at a much quicker pace. Whether or not the ball knocks you up/down/stuns would depend on how much velocity it's gained, something like that.

God he is so much fun to brainstorm *_*
It ****ing baffles me when I see people say "He's got like no moves" or "He doesn't do anything new" when we sit here brainstorming and can't even decide on what to narrow down for him. I love the idea of a deceptive zoner. Electric traps, spiked canonballs, the ability to zip around with his blunderbuss jet, maybe even have the crown toss, and let it pull people back toward him on the rebound? (Potentially into a cannonball/trap?)

There's invisibility, there's playing dead (kind of a cop-out counter mechanic but it could work), there's the gas clouds, he has *SO MUCH STUFF*.

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
It ****ing baffles me when I see people say "He's got like no moves" or "He doesn't do anything new" when we sit here brainstorming and can't even decide on what to narrow down for him. I love the idea of a deceptive zoner. Electric traps, spiked canonballs, the ability to zip around with his blunderbuss jet, maybe even have the crown toss, and let it pull people back toward him on the rebound? (Potentially into a cannonball/trap?)

There's invisibility, there's playing dead (kind of a cop-out counter mechanic but it could work), there's the gas clouds, he has *SO MUCH STUFF*.
The gas clouds alone have the potential of making him one of the trickiest characters to play against if utilized properly. No other mechanic present in any Smash comes close to those effects, apart from a couple items maybe.

Rare characters in general are like Swiss army knives of possibility in regard to Smash.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
A few people have theorized that, to contrast with Jr's new spinning cannonball, K. Rool's will fall to the ground, like Jr's used to do, and grow spikes as a trap.

I wanted to touch on a cute talking point I've started to hear: "K. Rool only has a chance because of the ballot." To which I'm like, uh, duh? Is that supposed to be some profound observation? Nearly 2 million votes is nothing to sneeze at, and if a dormant character performed well enough to get a costume, that speaks measures.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
In regards to K. Rools sound effects I imagine he will have the same grunts and growls as the other beastial fighters but I also feel like he will still have his iconic 'Aaauuugghh' sound as well in some capacity. Bowser retain's his Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64 grunts in Smash when making some of his attacks. So I imagine K. Rool may get similar treatment if hit with a particularly powerful attack he will let out his iconic grunt.. other than that I'm not expecting him to speak much.. even if they utilize his "YEAAA THANK YOU!!" from DK 64 I don't think he will actually say it, he will probably just throw his arms up and look back and forth as he does and maybe growl.

On the topic of his cannon ball attack's I see them being a controlled projectile after firing one hitting the same corresponding button could cause them to drop to ground and spikes pop out. It would make him and interesting trap character. I would love to see them utilize the smoke that can make you move in opposite directions that would be amazing..

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Real talk, I've always liked K Rool. He's been a bit neglected (read: ignored) recently in the Donkey Kong games, but he's DKs Bowser or Ganondorf. And he's more than workable in Smash. The more I think about how his character and personality can be applied in Smash, the more interesting he becomes. He'd be such a different fighter, with a Bowser style but a fusion of Wario and King Dedede in terms of being colorful and zany. Using his Blunderbuss, odd crown attacks, boxing moves, using his goons as weapons, barrel attacks...there's a lot of potential with this guy, and he's probably THE biggest newcomer missing in Smash now that we have Ridley.

Edit: For some reason, this posted here and not in the K Rool thread because my phone was tweaking out, ignore this.
As the end of this states, it somehow got posted in the Wolf board when it was supposed to be in this.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I have returned from the old K. Rool support thread way back when, I think K. Rool should finally make his playable appearance!

he is honestly my number 1 pick out of a couple characters i want

I'M BACK, MY FELLOW KUTTHROATS!

K_rool_plz.gif

Last edited:

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
I know we have hindsight now but maybe K. Rool's move set actually prevented him from being in the last game not because he doesn't have one but he has too much and its too complicated. As we know and been said what would he actually be and what moves would he use? Maybe it was too much or they just couldn't get the idea down in the short time it took for dlc character and they knew they needed to take more time in a new game.

My main reason for this thought is how much they have updated the HUD and all the extra little bits now like Villager's item display or Shulk's Monado selection etc. What if K. Rool had a similar mechanic by his stock for selecting what type of cannonball comes out of the blunderbuss? I know it would give it away to your opponent a little bit to display it but if he was to have the 5 or 6 different types of shot you would need some way of keeping track.

I still personally like the idea of the projectile changing in relation to your damage but I know that's probably not very practical overall.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I know we have hindsight now but maybe K. Rool's move set actually prevented him from being in the last game not because he doesn't have one but he has too much and its too complicated. As we know and been said what would he actually be and what moves would he use? Maybe it was too much or they just couldn't get the idea down in the short time it took for dlc character and they knew they needed to take more time in a new game.

My main reason for this thought is how much they have updated the HUD and all the extra little bits now like Villager's item display or Shulk's Monado selection etc. What if K. Rool had a similar mechanic by his stock for selecting what type of cannonball comes out of the blunderbuss? I know it would give it away to your opponent a little bit to display it but if he was to have the 5 or 6 different types of shot you would need some way of keeping track.

I still personally like the idea of the projectile changing in relation to your damage but I know that's probably not very practical overall.
It's *very* likely he was too complicated to be based on another fighter in any way. Remember they said Bayo was the "most realizable" of the fighters that did well. I personally like SourceGaming's current theory, that Bayo was already going to be chosen, and they decided on her as early as June of 2015 (It takes a LONG time to get a model of that quality going, and 2 months isn't even close to enough), and put in K. Rool as a "consolation" of sorts as a Mii costume, since a character like him was too different.

The Inklings look very similar in texture, if not nearly identical, to their Mii Outfits. And here we have K. Rool randomly with an almost fully-realized HD Rare design, when they already had a Paon model in the game to use. Hmmm... :thinking:

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
How would you guys feel if K Rool was brought into Smash dawning an entirely new persona? Something like... Samurai K. Rool for example.
It would definitely give Sakurai more freedom for a move set.

Top Bottom