• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool Support thread.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I LOLED!!

I just came around expetcting to see the usual lot suggesting your generic enemy ripoffs over truly deserving stars, and what do I find??

A K.Rool hating thread starter!? That caught me completely offguard, which made the first post even funnier!XD

I'm with you on that. King K. Rool is one of the worst excuses for a Brawl character. He's just as deep down in my list as Black Knight, Black Shadow and Bowser Jr. (yeah, I said it). Hope that guy doesn't even show his face in the Subspace Emmisary... -_- and if he does, I'll beat him with 0% and all stocks.

Just cause we got Bowser, Ganondorf, Dedede and Mewtwo (possibly) people think we gotta have EVERY SINGLE FRANCHISE VILLAIN.... sheessh... if that's the way things are, can't wait to fight as Eggman.

KaptKRool

Smash Apprentice
Where the St Lawrence meets Lake Ontario (Tibbets
First, I would just like to give a tip of my hat to the guy above me [edit: he's actually now on the previous page], Iron Maiden is the collective god of heavy metal.

But back to the topic.

I'd say the dumbest part of your "opinions" is that you're basing them on the battle with him at the end of DKC.

Its not like they're going to copy his coding from that game and randomly and metaphorically slap it onto the disc. They're actually going to make him from scratch, and do their best to balance him out.

If you don't believe me, look at Zelda. In what game does she ever use Din's Fire, Farore's Wind, and Nayru's Love? All she's ever really done was sit at the end of the game, waiting to be rescued, and opened gates with her magic in OoT. But did they make Zelda some helpless little damsel with no moves except to open doors and take away her ability to jump? No, they did something that involves a little logic and common sense, which you're kind of lacking. They actually built her character out of scratch, and gave her moves and abilities and attributes that weren't in the games.

Now if you want to talk about K Rool, he's got massive move potential. In his first 3 games, he uses completely different methods to attack the kongs. He throws his crown, he charges from one end to the other, he jumps and kinda slams down on the ground, and he causes cannonballs to fall out of the sky in DKC1. In DKC2, he has a gun, which he uses to shoot cannonballs and spiked cannonballs, as well as these little weird guys that eff up your controls and movement. He also uses his gun to suck the kongs in like a vacuum, and when they get close enough, he smashes them with the butt of his gun. And he uses his gun to propel him by pointing it behind him and firing. And in DKC3, most of the attacks come from the environment, but he does have this helicopter-back pack, which if you ask me, is a hell of a lot better up-B move than bowser's "whirling fortress", which I have never seen him actually do in any of his games.

And just because he's slow (not really though) and can jump ridiculously high in his games doesn't mean he'll be able to in smash bros. Kirby and Samus cant jump unlimitedly, even though in their respective games they can. The developers are smart, they're not going to make him exactly as he is in his normal games. They can easily go in and make adjustments and change things to make him a balanced and well-rounded character.

Basically, you're arguement is that you don't want K Rool in because you don't like how he battles in DKC1. That's quite an arguement, and I'm sure it'll really influence the rest of us. </sarcasm>

pass the syrup

Smash Journeyman
^^^^^^

very well put. You have said all that I would have wanted to say. Except that I'm to lazy to write big posts. Kudos.

nobletoast

Smash Journeyman
I LOLED!!

I just came around expetcting to see the usual lot suggesting your generic enemy ripoffs over truly deserving stars, and what do I find??

A K.Rool hating thread starter!? That caught me completely offguard, which made the first post even funnier!XD

I'm with you on that. King K. Rool is one of the worst excuses for a Brawl character. He's just as deep down in my list as Black Knight, Black Shadow and Bowser Jr. (yeah, I said it). Hope that guy doesn't even show his face in the Subspace Emmisary... -_- and if he does, I'll beat him with 0% and all stocks.

Just cause we got Bowser, Ganondorf, Dedede and Mewtwo (possibly) people think we gotta have EVERY SINGLE FRANCHISE VILLAIN.... sheessh... if that's the way things are, can't wait to fight as Eggman.
A lot of people dont want K Rool because he is a villain. I agree Black Shadow and Black Knight are stupid character siggestions that people only want because their villains but unlike them K Rool is important to his series AND has fantastic moveset potential AND isnt 'generic' AND has a personality AND isnt a 'cheap rip off'.

If your basing that statement on the fact he's a king then, OMG - Dedede = Bowser!
And if your basing it on the grounds that he is a reptile like many other nintendo bosses then, OMG Ridley = Bowser!

Your judging the fact the character is an animal by western standards. The japanese dont look for video games to be grounded in reality and have a big interest in animals in video games (look at the Tekken series has Panda and Roger who are totally out of place and then their is Animal Crossing etc.). My point is to the Japanese because a character is an animal and evil isnt that big of a deal and guess what? Their the ones making this game. And ive explained it terribly but in their eyes an animal character being similar to other isnt at all an issue.

Also 4th selling Nintendo franchise, 9th of all time.

If that doesnt warrant a third playable rep then what does? As far as Nintendo is concerned D.K. is their 4th most important franchise and will be untill another overtakes it in terms of sales, not to mention the fact it was the game that made Nintendo what it is today.

Look through the thread and you'll find many suggestions on how awesome and original his moveset could be.

So no, there are more reasons for his inclusion for him to be playable than being a villain. If your going to attack a characters chances make sure you know what your talking about.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
If people are saying he doesn't have any moveset opportunities...they are idiots. Look at King Dedede! He had less attacks than K. Rool. Dedede was stail, but K. Rool has a fresh attack pattern every game. Heck, in DKC2 and DKC3, you can fight him again with a slightly different attack pattern! He has got way more moveset opportunities WITHOUT Nintendo having to pull something outta their ***** like they did with Bowser (sorta). And King Dedede basically took his moveset directly from the Kirby series, so why couldn't K. Rool? I'm not saying do that, but K. Rool has DEFINATELY got moveset possibilities. FACE IT.

Luigi player

Smash Master
People who say K. Rool's a Bowser clone probably never played a DK game and only go by the looks.

Bowser and K. Rool -> Big fat badass evil reptile

The people who say they're clones are just immature. Or else they probably wouldn't say that, because if they didn't play a DK game they would ask for a moveset or something I guess, or they just hate him that much, but I find it strange to hate a video game character...

I think it's understandable that people want certain characters not in the game, because they never played the game or didn't like it, or just don't like the character and that they want their favourites more in the game, but they don't have to hate same characters...

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Whatever. I can't picture K.Rool in the select screen either way.. I did picture Dedede (I used to support him).

After that DK became basically spinoffs. I don't think the "Villain" excuse is the only thing putting characters in. Dedede isn't much of a villain himself (he always shows some sort of tender side in the end).
Same goes for Bowser (Mainly in the RPGs). And you can't say Ridley (no matter how blindly people believe he will be in) until he is CONFIRMED. (And I was specifically referring to Ridley as well, when I said the Overgrown lizard thing).

If there's one thing I can rest assured, is that this Krool guy won't get in through popularity alone. Sakurai WILL consider unrepresented MAIN characters more.

And there's also a BOSS section. Not saying he can't have a moveset. His moveset is actually an advantage for him (Moveset history), and one of the sole reasons why this character has a shot at all.

So... what I'm saying is... before I see Sakurai adding every popular character and their mothers (read as: villains) I see the guy actually adding those valuable to the history of Nintendo (read as: less popular, more important storywise and HISTORY wise).

There's a whole sunken ship full of sweet classic Nintendo characters... I don't see how this reptile will get in over them through popularity alone. (Remember Sakurai isn't some under 15-Y-O with parental condition when playing games)

Well, that's MY take on the matter. You could try to convince me otherwise.. but I doubt a hardheaded Nintendo vet such as myself, playng games since the late 80's, will change my mind about it.

(And by no means did I intended on offending anyone. Not even the character you guys support.)

p.s. Looking at the POLL results... Megaman, Isaac and Sukapon have the same votes as KRool (2) yet those three characters have priority over KRool for being main characters (and newcoming franchises at that).

Luigi player

Smash Master
Well I didn't say he's a shoe-in or something. I know K. Rools chances aren't that great, but you have to admit he does have a chance.

He had 2 votes on Sakurais poll, and Donkey Kong is really important to Nintendo... at least more important than Kirby. (That's what I guess)

Donkey Kong started with Mario in the same game and I really think we can talk about a third representative from the DK universe.

Actually I'm really sure K. Rool will be in the game in some way. He even was a trophy in Melee. And the 2 votes on Sakurais poll... he is either a AT, Boss or playable. I hope he'll be playable...

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
If there's one thing I can rest assured, is that this Krool guy won't get in through popularity alone. Sakurai WILL consider unrepresented MAIN characters more.

So... what I'm saying is... before I see Sakurai adding every popular character and their mothers (read as: villains) I see the guy actually adding those valuable to the history of Nintendo (read as: less popular, more important storywise and HISTORY wise).

There's a whole sunken ship full of sweet classic Nintendo characters... I don't see how this reptile will get in over them through popularity alone. (Remember Sakurai isn't some under 15-Y-O with parental condition when playing games)

1) K. Rool is a main character of the Donkey Kong series.

2) K. Rool is valuable to Nintendo's history. He is partly why the DKC games [edit: were] so great.

3) K. Rool is a classic character. Hes been the DK enemy for quite some time now, I believe.

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
Why is there a new one? Is it a thread that a supporter of K. Rool made or what? haha
It has WAY better organization than this thread... this one ended up merely as a place to discuss K.Rool's chances and the occasional speculation as to his moveset/etc, with the official support thread now it's more like those other support threads...

This thread is unnecessary now... close plox?

Klonoa™

Smash Cadet
Mario has Bowser as his enemy in brawl
Kirby has Dedede as his enemy in brawl
Now DK needs K.rool as his enemy in brawl.

Awesome, 3 kings! King K Rool, King Koopa, and King Dedede.

courte

Smash Lord
you know its funny i came here to say that i am not for k. rool and leave it at that, but then i thought in my mind all of the people i want in and other things... it wouldn't be right if someone walked up to me and insulted me for that... not cool so at the risky of sounding like a hypocrite while im completely neutral i support k. rool for brawl becuase if its not him it'll be one of his cool basic lackeys... or another monkey

hello_kitty

Smash Journeyman
He does look like Kraid actually, he also looks like Wart and resembles Bowser in a way. I personally prefer even that skank kong over him (Candy) but if he's in, whatever.

cupid0094

Smash Rookie
king k. rool is the man and i bet half of the people talkin trash about him have never played more than 1 donkey kong game to the point where they get to fight him

Top Bottom