• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
There was a problem fetching the tweet

If Ryu Hauabusa was not in Smash Bros then he would have confirmed that. This comment neither confirms or denies his inclusion.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
He did add Greninja of all Pokémon (though Greninja was also super popular). Also Sheik, who was a pretty a random and unnecessary addition to Melee. Zelda definitely didn’t need a transformation, but he gave her one anyway. I don’t think he would have done that if he didn’t find Sheik’s design to be really cool. Plus, he mentioned that he wanted to add Ninjara as the ARMS rep. I think that it’s safe to say that Sakurai has an affinity for ninjas.

Edit::ultgreninja:’d lol
Regarding Sheik, all the unique newcomers in Melee besides Mewtwo had a gimmick of some sorts, which is probably why Sheik exists.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Link to the above?
Also, I’m in a Dexerto column? I don’t remember being consulted about this! https://www.dexerto.com/smash/smash...ble-dlc-fighter-clue-in-patch-11-0-0-1538754/
Another thing I want to point out is that I don’t think Team NINJA themselves need to be consulted, I think that they actually talk to the heads at KOEI TECMO for Smash stuff like for the spirit events that happened I think it was Sakurai asking the head up at KOEI TECMO and ATLUS if they could do that and not necessarily having to ask Team NINJA for the stuff as Team NINJA is owned by KOEI TECMO. It’s similar to how the original creator of CASTLEVANIA didn’t know about their inclusion and it was more of a decision made by the higher ups at Konami
Also once again just as a reminder that KOEI TECMO worked on Byleth’s trailer and we have gotten KOEI TECMO content in this Fighters Pass so far. Nintendo and KOEI TECMO Discussions leaked by Vergeben are also still in play here as well https://twitter.com/sora_sakurai/status/1218038744562851841?s=21

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
On the other hand if Hayabusa really is in the game, then "Waiting for an invitation" feels like an NDA breach?

I don't know.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
It's also probable that Yasuda just has no idea. Nintendo has done a pretty great job at keeping characters under wraps ever since Terry, so it's perfectly possible that only a small handful of higher ups at Koei Tecmo would even know what's going on. I don't get the impression that Yasuda would need to have any involvement with the negotiations whatsoever.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's also probable that Yasuda just has no idea. Nintendo has done a pretty great job at keeping characters under wraps ever since Terry, so it's perfectly possible that only a small handful of higher ups at Koei Tecmo would even know what's going on. I don't get the impression that Yasuda would need to have any involvement with the negotiations whatsoever.
Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of this at all. For all we know Hayabusa is in the game and a third pass might actually be coming, yet we wouldn't know about both things until we get around near the end of Spring/start of Summer, simply because Sak and Nintendo are serious about keeping things a surprise.

Either way, I wasn't especially confident in Hayabusa's chances regardless, but at least his series is coming back. Shame about the data loss for NGB and NG2, though.

Although it'd be hilarious if the KT character wound up being Linkle, of all people.

Last edited:

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
So Brew was lying about being told not to talk about Ryu Hayabusa being in Smash? Because, if they were real, I don't think he'd be this accepting of disconfirmation if the information he got before was legit. Oh well, in the end, leakers should always be taken with a grain of salt. As should Yasuda's comment. So, in the end, my thoughts on Hayabusa in Smash are about the same: I'm hoping for him, but I'm not expecting him.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
So Brew was lying about being told not to talk about Ryu Hayabusa being in Smash? Because, if they were real, I don't think he'd be this accepting of disconfirmation if the information he got before was legit. Oh well, in the end, leakers should always be taken with a grain of salt. As should Yasuda's comment. So, in the end, my thoughts on Hayabusa in Smash are about the same: I'm hoping for him, but I'm not expecting him.
Brews reply
9C9D2EB0-60C0-4517-8DAF-13BDE903FAF7.png

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
I appreciate the quick response and don't wish to push him further. We'll just have to wait till the end of Fighters Pass Vol. 2 to know Ryu's fate. Now, someone just needs to prod Yosuke Hayashi then we might get a more definitive non-answer jk.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I never even heard of Brew anyway, what's their track record?

Which I really wish more people would do. I make sure to spread my chips on multiple numbers, not bet all of them on the same one.
Brew is a leaker back in the 2018 days, he correctly leaked Isabelle, Incineroar, Ken, and Piranha Plant and said Marx would be a boss
Step 1: ask devs about smash
Step 2: dev gives vague non-answer
Step 3: everything stays the same
That’s the hope

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Brew is a leaker back in the 2018 days, he correctly leaked Isabelle, Incineroar, Ken, and Piranha Plant and said Marx would be a boss
Was he the only one to leak those characters? And if so, has he gotten anything else right since then?

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
I never even heard of Brew anyway, what's their track record?

Which I really wish more people would do. I make sure to spread my chips on multiple numbers, not bet all of them on the same one.
I don't remember all the details but Brew and another, Shifty, both claimed Piranha Plant (and Marx as a boss in Shifty's case). They both alleged to share the same sources so I was more inclined to believe them. Then both hard claimed Ryu was coming to Smash in 2019. After that turned out to be false and being a whole Fighters Pass and 4 fighters into the second one later... They turned from semi-credible, into super unreliable and now I think both leak nothing at least in terms of Smash. I'd get all the sources for their leaks but I just don't have the time to look right now. Shifty has some Youtube videos under his name "IAmShifty" detailing some things though.

I'm not into the whole speculation game on guessing who will be the next fighters as I only ever wanted Ryu Hayabusa alone. I didn't care who the other fighters would be as long as I got Ryu but seeing as his chances get smaller the more fighters we get, and with having only two spots left, to hear anything about the only character you ever wanted being possibly disconfirmed... is not a great feeling. But I've learned to cope and enjoy new fighters like Sephiroth and Pyra/Mythra so I can be at least satisfied with them.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I don't remember all the details but Brew and another, Shifty, both claimed Piranha Plant (and Marx as a boss in Shifty's case). They both alleged to share the same sources so I was more inclined to believe them. Then both hard claimed Ryu was coming to Smash in 2019. After that turned out to be false and being a whole Fighters Pass and 4 fighters into the second one later... They turned from semi-credible, into super unreliable and now I think both leak nothing at least in terms of Smash. I'd get all the sources for their leaks but I just don't have the time to look right now. Shifty has some Youtube videos under his name "IAmShifty" detailing some things though.

I'm not into the whole speculation game on guessing who will be the next fighters as I only ever wanted Ryu Hayabusa alone. I didn't care who the other fighters would be as long as I got Ryu but seeing as his chances get smaller the more fighters we get, and with having only two spots left, to hear anything about the only character you ever wanted being possibly disconfirmed... is not a great feeling. But I've learned to cope and enjoy new fighters like Sephiroth and Pyra/Mythra so I can be at least satisfied with them.
Steve and Sephiroth were the highlights of the pass for me so far, I do like Pyra/Mythra and Min Min too also just too point out, only a few heads at MOJANG AB knew about Steve in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate which would suggest that when it comes to Third Party involvement, Nintendo and Sakurai want to make sure as few people as possible on the third party side of things know what’s going on so it’s possible that if Ryu Hayabusa is coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate then Nintendo and Sakurai would make sure that only a few people would know about it such as the heads at KOEI TECMO and maybe Yosuke Hayashi on the Team NINJA side of things would know, Yasuda is a director/producer, Yosuke Hayashi is the PRESIDENT of Team NINJA so he honestly would be the only one who would need to be informed of Hayabusa is coming to Smash and he most likely wouldn’t share that info with the rest of Team NINJA as the heads at MOJANG AB describe in the video below that they were the only ones that knew and they didn’t tell anyone at MOJANG AB, they just had them do stuff that the team thought was for MINECRAFT but really it was for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, so it’s possible that in this case Yosuke Hayashi is the only one that knows if Ryu Hayabusa is coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as well as a few heads at KOEI TECMO and Nintendo as well as Sakurai and the Smash Team. It would also make sense why the Yasuyuki Oda a Japanese video game director, producer, planner and designer at SNK who was interviewed wanted a SNK character in Smash but didn’t know it was happening, only the ones who NEEDED to know knew like the heads at SNK
https://youtu.be/j2jHLvsE6s0 3:43
So tldr, Yasuda most likely has no idea if Ryu Hayabusa is coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate because the ones who need to be consulted about that would be a very small handful of people

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
In the end, I think people are taking what Yasuda said too seriously. What he said was clearly a reference to the characters receiving invitations in their reveal trailers and not an indication of whether or not Nintendo contacted them. The laugh at the end kind of pretty shows that it wasn't anything to take seriously. Just an idea he would like.

Last edited:

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
In the end, I think people are taking what Yosuke said too seriously. What he said was clearly a reference to the characters receiving invitations in their reveal trailers and not an indication of whether or not Nintendo contacted them. The laugh at the end kind of pretty shows that it wasn't anything to take seriously. Just an idea he would like.
It's Fumihiko Yasuda, not Yosuke Hayashi, but yeah. It could be either or, still best to temper expectations though.

cybersai

Smash Ace
It's weird to think about because with all the other deconfirms there really aren't that many "realistic" characters for the last two slots. Unless Nintendo really did go the boring route and tell Sakurai to use a Gen 8 Pokemon for one of the last two.

Lloyd and Crash are still in the running so far, but Lloyd's Mii outfit can just as easily return next time too. There really aren't that many characters I can see happening if Ryu doesn't. Capcom seems done this pass, Square, Konami, Sega are all likely out. And most western characters tend to be very unlikely for various reasons.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
It's weird to think about because with all the other deconfirms there really aren't that many "realistic" characters for the last two slots. Unless Nintendo really did go the boring route and tell Sakurai to use a Gen 8 Pokemon for one of the last two.

Lloyd and Crash are still in the running so far, but Lloyd's Mii outfit can just as easily return next time too. There really aren't that many characters I can see happening if Ryu doesn't. Capcom seems done this pass, Square, Konami, Sega are all likely out. And most western characters tend to be very unlikely for various reasons.
I feel like Lloyd's chances shot up dramatically with this news. One of the predictions going on this forum in the last few weeks was that Hayabusa had a good shot at being Fighter 10, and since he's a kitana-user, Lloyd's Smash 4 mii costume had a good chance of being bundled with Hayabusa's Challenger Pack. Now I admittedly thought this could happen too, before I decided to predict both Lloyd and Ryu as the last 2 fighters, but it was something that still made sense.

Now though, if Hayabusa really isn't coming, then I think it's safe to say that Lloyd has the highest chance of being Challenger 10. I don't have any proof of that, but it is possible that he actually winds up being the Smash 4 costume that gets the upgrade to full fighter, and they just decided to pad out the release of the other costumes to lead up to Lloyd's reveal. I will say though, that Challenger 10 is probably his last chance.

And you know what, I'm all for it. Lloyd and the Tales of series are kind of in a similar boat to Hayabusa and Ninja Gaiden in regards to having a history with Nintendo. Tales of Symphonia was a pretty good success for the Gamecube, Lloyd's been a highly requested character for over a decade at least, and the very first Tales game released on the SNES/Super Famicom back in 1995, so there is history between Tales and Nintendo there, just like with Ninja Gaiden and Nintendo. And at this point Bandai Namco has earned a second character for Smash Ultimate.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Lloyd's chances shot up dramatically with this news. One of the predictions going on this forum in the last few weeks was that Hayabusa had a good shot at being Fighter 10, and since he's a kitana-user, Lloyd's Smash 4 mii costume had a good chance of being bundled with Hayabusa's Challenger Pack. Now I admittedly thought this could happen too, before I decided to predict both Lloyd and Ryu as the last 2 fighters, but it was something that still made sense.

Now though, if Hayabusa really isn't coming, then I think it's safe to say that Lloyd has the highest chance of being Challenger 10. I don't have any proof of that, but it is possible that he actually winds up being the Smash 4 costume that gets the upgrade to full fighter, and they just decided to pad out the release of the other costumes to lead up to Lloyd's reveal. I will say though, that Challenger 10 is probably his last chance.

And you know what, I'm all for it. Lloyd and the Tales of series are kind of in a similar boat to Hayabusa and Ninja Gaiden in regards to having a history with Nintendo. Tales of Symphonia was a pretty good success for the Gamecube, Lloyd's been a highly requested character for over a decade at least, and the very first Tales game released on the SNES/Super Famicom back in 1995, so there is history between Tales and Nintendo there, just like with Ninja Gaiden and Nintendo. And at this point Bandai Namco has earned a second character for Smash Ultimate.
Regardless of what happened today to be honest, I still don’t think it’s Lloyd

MattX20

Smash Hero
Until we see the final two reveals, Hayabusa's not out of the game yet. As noted by Retro's image, we've had misdirections before regarding certain characters, it's just a matter of waiting and seeing.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
I hear the sad news when I got off of work. But I got other characters in mind for Fighterpass 2. There's always next time.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Yeah I’m not losing hope yet. Now I’m not sure how much of a “wise guy” Yasuda can be, but as already mentioned here, it’s true that we’ve got cases where it seems like an employee (former or current) is strongly implying that x character is being deconfirmed but in reality they’re just trolling the fans, most famously coming from Grant and the guy behind Bayonetta (forgot his name).

So I’m still keeping up the support as if nothing happened.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I don't see why you're still taking it as him being possibly disconfirmed. It's basically the same as a no comment and doesn't really tell us anything new about his chances.

I hear the sad news when I got off of work. But I got other characters in mind for Fighterpass 2. There's always next time.
What "sad news"?

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Yeah, just because his costume is being held back doesn't mean that he's becoming playable, sorry. I thought that this lesson would have been learned after Heihachi, Geno, and MH came as costumes again, but apparently not.
I was talking about how it COULD happen, and how I think Lloyd's chances may have gone up, IF Ryu isn't getting in. The key words there were COULD and IF.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Honestly the rule of thumb that if a developer comments on a characters chances in Smash...it's not a good look. Yes the only exception is Microsoft on both Banjo/Steve, but well...that's just one case.

The Doom developers got asked about Doom Guy in Smash a year ago and lo and behold, Doomguy isn't likely in the fighters pass. I remember on twitter they asked the Kingdom Hearts developer about Sora too, and he said something like, "i'd love to see it" and of course Sora didn't make it in. More famously, Harada the Tekken developer is asked about Heihachi in Smash all the time, and of course...they just brought back the Mii outfit.

I dunno. Ryu Hayabusa is one of my most wanted that hasn't been deconfirmed by either spirits or a Mii outfit yet, but even then, this lowers my expectations a ton.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Honestly the rule of thumb that if a developer comments on a characters chances in Smash...it's not a good look. Yes the only exception is Microsoft on both Banjo/Steve, but well...that's just one case.

The Doom developers got asked about Doom Guy in Smash a year ago and lo and behold, Doomguy isn't likely in the fighters pass. I remember on twitter they asked the Kingdom Hearts developer about Sora too, and he said something like, "i'd love to see it" and of course Sora didn't make it in. More famously, Harada the Tekken developer is asked about Heihachi in Smash all the time, and of course...they just brought back the Mii outfit.

I dunno. Ryu Hayabusa is one of my most wanted that hasn't been deconfirmed by either spirits or a Mii outfit yet, but even then, this lowers my expectations a ton.
There are more examples then just Microsoft, SNK and Platinum Games (Hideki Kamiya) did it too, one being the LITERAL head of the project (Kamiya) and one who had a similar position to Yasuda of KOEI TECMO (Yasuyuki Oda a Japanese video game director, producer, planner and designer at SNK). Should we expect Ryu Hayabusa? No probably not because on one is ever a 100% lock in Smash. Does Hayabusa have a lot in his favor? Yes he does as we have repeated his evidence so many times. Are we running out of time? Yes we only have 2 more fighters remaining, Honestly only time will tell what’s gonna happen

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord

The difference is that the interview with id Software was directly about Doomguy being in Smash, as they admitted that at the time of the interview (which I think was back in 2018) that Nintendo never came to them about it. That confirmed that they weren't working on Doomguy at that point, so if he were to be in the game, he'd likely be in later down line in this current pass since the first one had already been decided. So Doomguy's chance is really the only one we have a much better idea about as it was actually mentioned by his company.

The others are just mere comments from companies that don't say anything about a character's chance and therefore, is never even brought up when talking them. All they did was just expressed interest in seeing their character in Smash and it ended up happening, either in the current game or the next one.

Sometimes, people tend to overreact to anything related to Smash but it should be clear by now that they shouldn't look too hard into things as they could be panicking over nothing (especially after the whole Microsoft thing). This is obviously another example of that.

Last edited:

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
Gotta say, it really sucks hearing that the source code for Ninja Gaiden Black and II are as broken as they are. Good thing for Microsoft's backwards compatibility, I suppose.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
So after everything that happened yesterday, do you guys think that Ryu Hayabusa still has a shot at joining the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate roster? I think that he is still in the running but I’ve since lowered my expectations on his inclusion, it’s still possible but his chances have definitely lowered since we only have 2 spots left and the timing of this interview isn’t exactly helpful but we’ll see after all Banjo & Kazooie were quote on quote deconfirmed 2 weeks before their inevitable inclusion so who knows, the world works in mysterious ways and even if Hayabusa misses it, we got the next Super Smash Bros. for his arrival anyway. So in the end if Yuri Kozukata is the KOEI TECMO rep then I’m fine with just that of course I’m not gonna stop speculating until it’s all said and done but those are my current thoughts I think he has a shot still but I’m definitely gonna lower my expectations
A17661D2-3C18-408D-AC18-7BDE0D507721.jpeg

Top Bottom