• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
That's really awesome... I'm wondering if this is the sole example of Ninja Gaiden and Nintendo content being in the same game?
There's also Dead or Alive Dimensions, which features the Metroid stage Pyrosphere (known as Geothermal Power Plant in that game), as well as appearances from Samus and Ridley (acting as a stage hazard) in that same stage.

This was before it became a stage in Smash Bros. Wii U.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
There's also Dead or Alive Dimensions, which features the Metroid stage Pyrosphere (known as Geothermal Power Plant in that game), as well as appearances from Samus and Ridley (acting as a stage hazard) in that same stage.

This was before it became a stage in Smash Bros. Wii U.
You know, I just realized that Team Ninja made Other M. Why hasn't Ryu happened already exactly?

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I still can’t believe it took 6 entries in the Super Smash Brothers series for a character like Ryu Hayabusa to gain this much fan demand.

Meanwhile other NES icons like Bill Rizer are still waiting for their turn while we currently have a fair amount of rather expendable and silly popular picks.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I still can’t believe it took 6 entries in the Super Smash Brothers series for a character like Ryu Hayabusa to gain this much fan demand.
It's because the community can only focus on one NES icon at a time. First it was Mega Man. Then it was Simon. Now is Hayabusa's time.

And once Hayabusa is in, it'll become Bill's time, or Arthur's time, or Kunio's time, etc.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
You know, I just realized that Team Ninja made Other M. Why hasn't Ryu happened already exactly?
That's a question a lot of people have asked. To me, it's a wonder why he's not even in the base roster.

Meanwhile other NES icons like Bill Rizer are still waiting for their turn while we currently have a fair amount of rather expendable and silly popular picks.
I'm not sure how much demand he's gotten over the years but he was being discussed among fans during Smash 4.

I'm personally more surprised that the Lee brothers from Double Dragon aren't being talked about that much. Even on this site, they only got like two pages.

It's because the community can only focus on one NES icon at a time. First it was Mega Man. Then it was Simon. Now is Hayabusa's time.

And once Hayabusa is in, it'll become Bill's time, or Arthur's time, or Kunio's time, etc.
Or the Double Dragons' time.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace

I mean weren’t Little Mac and Megaman really popular in the Brawl-Smash 4 timeline? If I’m not mistaken Simon was already pretty demanded back in Brawl too.

or the Toads!
1606876984284.jpeg

after Conker that is.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Yeah, possibly. River City is a lot more popular in Japan than Double Dragon though. It's got way more games.

And also...those games are just plain better.

I don't expect both to end up playable. One will eventually become playable, the other will probably be relegated to Brawler costumes. And I think Kunio is the better choice.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Yeah, possibly. River City is a lot more popular in Japan than Double Dragon though. It's got way more games.

And also...those games are just plain better.

I don't expect both to end up playable. One will eventually become playable, the other will probably be relegated to Brawler costumes. And I think Kunio is the better choice.
Sure, River City may be more popular in Japan and has more games, but Double Dragon has more worldwide recognition and is a bigger influence in the beat'em up genre. It was even popular enough to have its own live action movie and cartoon series (just like Mario and Street Fighter). It's just the bigger name of the two and I think it makes more sense. Plus, I'm sure Japanese fans won't have an issue with that.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Guys this is a Ninja Gaiden in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate thread, not a Double Dragon and River City thread. I love those series but if your going to talk about them, do it elsewhere

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Considering that the first Double Dragon game is practically just a 2 player reskin of the first Kunio game, I'd argue that it's not.
2 player reskin that also allow players to pick up weapons, setting the standards for the beat'em up genre. I don't see how anybody can argue that's it not. The game is an inspiration for series like Final Fight, Golden Axe, and possibly even the arcade Ninja Gaiden (while we're in this thread). It's a pretty significant series in video games.

Guys this is a Ninja Gaiden in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate thread, not a Double Dragon and River City thread. I love those series but if your going to talk about them, do it elsewhere
It's not a long debate. It's only just been a few posts. Nothing to worry about.

Does anybody know what Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors take from the Smash series?

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The game is an inspiration for series like Final Fight, Golden Axe, and possibly even the arcade Ninja Gaiden (while we're in this thread).
A. How do you know they were inspired by Double Dragon and not Renegade?

B. If Double Dragon is inspired by Renegade, than any game that was inspired by Double Dragon is also inspired by Renegade.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
A. How do you know they were inspired by Double Dragon and not Renegade?

B. If Double Dragon is inspired by Renegade, than any game that was inspired by Double Dragon is also inspired by Renegade.
A. Final Fight:

Golden Axe:

B. Even though Renegade was first, Double Dragon could still be seen as a direct inspiration to those other games. Besides, both series were created by the same person anyway.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I actually agree with WonderSmash here. Yes, both are good options but personally I too think Double Dragon makes more sense for the reasons already stated here.

Does anybody know what Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors take from the Smash series?
What’s there for those spin-off titles to take from, exactly? I mean, all Smash does is adaptating the characters and their abilities from their respective games to a platform fighting game.
The strange part tho is that Smash doesn’t seem to want to acknowledge any of the original content from Hyrule Warriors, like the character Linkle.

There’s no issue in talking about other subjects as long as you’ll eventually get back to the main purpose of the thread, of course. I for one have seen a fair amount of pages in the Geno thread that don’t have any discussions regarding Geno or even Super Mario as a whole.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
What’s there for those spin-off titles to take from, exactly? I mean, all Smash does is adaptating the characters and their abilities from their respective games to a platform fighting game.
The strange part tho is that Smash doesn’t seem to want to acknowledge any of the original content from Hyrule Warriors, like the character Linkle.
Maybe Marth and Lucina's sword attacks could be taken from Smash. Or maybe even the way Link does his attacks could be taken from it.

I'm pretty sure the Warriors games have taken some things from Smash.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
846862B3-1CF5-40A6-8ABF-C677D8B199E2.jpeg
So I won’t say who, but a friend of mine contacted a very credible source and was told by the source that Ninja Gaiden content is 100% coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate but it’s very hard to determine exactly what Nintendo and Koei Tecmo are planning to do with the IP in terms of implementing it into the game. Some of the source’s friends have heard of a Ryu Hayabusa Mii Costume but they are not sure but the source had said they heard Ninja Gaiden is definitely in Fighters Pass VOL 2 in some form but we don’t know exactly what form that entails. In all honesty it would be an insult to make Hayabusa a Mii Costume considering how close Nintendo and Koei Tecmo are together. Sure the same argument could be made for Ubisoft and Bethesda, but since Koei Tecmo is a Japanese company that is close to Nintendo I feel as though they should have a rep as well, similar to Konami, SEGA, CAPCOM, Bandai Namco, Square Enix, and ATLUS. Once again a major insult to Koei Tecmo if it’s seriously just a Mii Costume but once again it’s all in the air as of now. So tldr; Ninja Gaiden is coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate in some capacity and we don’t know if that’s in the form of a Fighter, a Mii Costume, or a Spirit Event, I really hope it’s a fighter

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
View attachment 293839So I won’t say who, but a friend of mine contacted a very credible source and was told by the source that Ninja Gaiden content is 100% coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate but it’s very hard to determine exactly what Nintendo and Koei Tecmo are planning to do with the IP in terms of implementing it into the game. Some of the source’s friends have heard of a Ryu Hayabusa Mii Costume but they are not sure but the source had said they heard Ninja Gaiden is definitely in Fighters Pass VOL 2 in some form but we don’t know exactly what form that entails. In all honesty it would be an insult to make Hayabusa a Mii Costume considering how close Nintendo and Koei Tecmo are together. Sure the same argument could be made for Ubisoft and Bethesda, but since Koei Tecmo is a Japanese company that is close to Nintendo I feel as though they should have a rep as well, similar to Konami, SEGA, CAPCOM, Bandai Namco, Square Enix, and ATLUS. Once again a major insult to Koei Tecmo if it’s seriously just a Mii Costume but once again it’s all in the air as of now. So tldr; Ninja Gaiden is coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate in some capacity and we don’t know if that’s in the form of a Fighter, a Mii Costume, or a Spirit Event, I really hope it’s a fighter
I wish they put exactly what they heard about a Mii costume because I honestly can't picture Hayabusa being anything other than a fighter. Like you said, it'd be a major insult to Koei Tecmo.

I do remember somebody earlier on this topic mentioning that there was some kind of discussion over Hayabusa or Travis Touchdown being the next M-rated character in the game and I guess Hayabusa won because Travis is a Mii costume. So maybe that's where the mention of a Mii costume came from.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
View attachment 293839So I won’t say who, but a friend of mine contacted a very credible source and was told by the source that Ninja Gaiden content is 100% coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate but it’s very hard to determine exactly what Nintendo and Koei Tecmo are planning to do with the IP in terms of implementing it into the game. Some of the source’s friends have heard of a Ryu Hayabusa Mii Costume but they are not sure but the source had said they heard Ninja Gaiden is definitely in Fighters Pass VOL 2 in some form but we don’t know exactly what form that entails. In all honesty it would be an insult to make Hayabusa a Mii Costume considering how close Nintendo and Koei Tecmo are together. Sure the same argument could be made for Ubisoft and Bethesda, but since Koei Tecmo is a Japanese company that is close to Nintendo I feel as though they should have a rep as well, similar to Konami, SEGA, CAPCOM, Bandai Namco, Square Enix, and ATLUS. Once again a major insult to Koei Tecmo if it’s seriously just a Mii Costume but once again it’s all in the air as of now. So tldr; Ninja Gaiden is coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate in some capacity and we don’t know if that’s in the form of a Fighter, a Mii Costume, or a Spirit Event, I really hope it’s a fighter
I appreciate what you’re trying to do, man. I really do. But in all honesty the last thing I want to see this thread do is go down the way of the Geno thread where they live from leak to leak without any evidence and base the thread around a specific person. It works for them and I’m all for their way of doing that but that’s not really what I want here.

You’re always more than welcome to share this stuff, don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with that but I would like for you to at the very least explain what this person has gotten right and why they’re as credible as you say.

However, the last thing I want for this thread is to divulge into this echo space where we only talk about the validity of certain leaks. I kinda like the mojo we got going on right now where we’re just kind of vibing and speculating on our own merits. That’s just me though, I’m just one person in this thread, but yeah I would prefer if we had SOMETHING to go off of besides vague hints.

Edit: I guess it’s kind of obvious that I’m not a big fan of leak culture but just to acknowledge the content of your post, I’m with you. I think that Hayabusa could end up as a Mii but it seems like that’s not as likely considering some of the other stuff that’s lead up to this point. The rumors, the cooperation of Koei-Tecmo, and of course the legacy of Hayabusa himself seems like it would all point to playable. Not a Mii.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
In all honesty it would be an insult to make Hayabusa a Mii Costume considering how close Nintendo and Koei Tecmo are together. Sure the same argument could be made for Ubisoft and Bethesda,
It really can’t, honestly.
Tecmo has had strong ties with Nintendo ever since the NES era. Plus not only have they handled several Nintendo IPs as well, and have had a few Nintendo characters crossing over with theirs, but Tecmo also even co-owns one of their original IPs with the big N, that being Project Zero, so there’s much more to it than just having your games released or ported on a Nintendo console.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
It really can’t, honestly.
Tecmo has had strong ties with Nintendo ever since the NES era. Plus not only have they handled several Nintendo IPs as well, and have had a few Nintendo characters crossing over with theirs, but Tecmo also even co-owns one of their original IPs with the big N, that being Project Zero, so there’s much more to it than just having your games released or ported on a Nintendo console.
I get that, but even so after all they have been through it would be an insult, they gave Intelligent Systems like 8 reps, didn’t stop Konami and CAPCOM from having 3 reps, Square has 5 reps (if we’re counting all the Heroes separately) and all of those companies have also done crossovers with Nintendo like Koei Tecmo has, so yes to me at least it would be an insult as why should Koei Tecmo be treated differently? They 1000% deserve a rep in Smash

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I get that, but even so after all they have been through it would be an insult, they gave Intelligent Systems like 8 reps, didn’t stop Konami and CAPCOM from having 3 reps, Square has 5 reps (if we’re counting all the Heroes separately) and all of those companies have also done crossovers with Nintendo like Koei Tecmo has, so yes to me at least it would be an insult as why should Koei Tecmo be treated differently? They 1000% deserve a rep in Smash
I don't think he's disagreeing that it's an insult. Just that it wouldn't be anything like Bethesda and Ubisoft since Koei Tecmo is much more closer to Nintendo than they are.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Ok so first I want to say that the source that we spoke to only had the track record of getting the Travis Mii Costume right, of course that is not enough of a track record but I thought I’d share that anyway, so I showed what we talked about to Brew and he agreed with the fact that Ryu Hayabusa was successfully negotiated for and that his source was so confident in Ryu Hayabusa at the time that it couldn’t be for something as small as a Mii Costume or Spirit Event as his source (that called Joker and Piranha Plant) wouldn’t make such a huge deal about Hayabusa if it was for a Mii Costume and it also seems that the source would’ve known if Ryu Hayabusa was a Mii Costume given how Brew already knew about some of the Mii Costumes already like Sans. He also told me that Shifty had heard that he was negotiated for being a Fighter so there is that too. We are in the home stretch lads and it’s now or never for gaming’s most iconic Ninja to join the legendary roster of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!
E823370F-E0B4-4FD8-9956-F7BD4066BA2F.png
A8A6A8E6-3FBC-4200-80F7-D29B6E16A12D.png

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
So I've been playing Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 on Master Ninja difficulty and I gotta say... it's goddamn hard. While I've yet to play vanilla Ninja Gaiden II on Master Ninja (and beat it's Mentor mode first...), I heard Sigma 2 was much easier due to the heavily decreased enemy count... but holy hell do enemies take long to kill and hit like a truck in Master Ninja. Grabs are basically one-hit kills, bosses are even worse. Granted, I made it up to Chapter 5 so far where you play as Momiji but man, the difference between Master Ninja and the previous "hard" difficulty, Mentor, is night and day. I didn't have quite as many problems getting through Mentor but Master Ninja in NGS2 is just kinda like a "you get hit once, you die" sort of kind of deal... sometimes, but I'm having fun with it and doing whatever I can to make the game much easier: stocking up on healing items, holding onto a Talisman of Rebirth, sometimes saving after encounters (thank god for no respawning enemies like in Dark Souls and restarting boss fights right away after dying), etc.

As looked down upon as NGS2 is in the Ninja
Gaiden community for the decreased enemy count whilst having increased health and damage output to compensate, the forced addition of Momiji, Rachel and Ayane's chapters, and censored blood and gore (and dismemberment in cutscenes), I think it's still a decent game, better than vanilla Ninja Gaiden 3 and maybe even Razor's Edge depending on how you view it (**** the blocky and dodgy Alchemists, though).

I'd recommend Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 up to its Mentor difficulty. Master Ninja is where the real challenge is at, though. The exclusive Enma's Fang worked wonders in Mentor and below...

MattX20

Smash Hero
My only question regarding Hayabusa at this point is this: regarding his stage, would it be more retro inspired or be more based on the newer trilogy?

Reactions: QQS
Top Bottom