• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just thought of something regarding the Zelda series in Brawl.

Sun-Wukong

Smash Journeyman
Despite having there Twilight Princess designs and weaponry in Link's case, I think they're the ones from Ocarina of Time, not only is Sheik still there, but Link is being followed by Navi when he first appears in the Subspace Emissary. I could be wrong, but it kind of makes since when you think about it. To reiterate, I think they're just the Ocarina of time characters with a face lift. Obviously this doesn't apply to Toon Link. Sorry if someone has said anything like this before, but I used the search bar and didn't find anything.

P.S. Since this regards three characters, I thought it would be best suited for General.

P.P.S. If you look at the Dojo updates, it never actually says the characters are from Twilight Princess, just that the designs are.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf, Zelda/Shiek, and Link are all DEFINENTLY supposed to be from Twighlight Princess. Shiek's design was taken from early devolpment of TP where Shiek was probably going to be a character. But, yea, it annoys the heck out me how a little blue fairy follows Link around in SSE

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Gale boomerang?

I mean, the dojo addresses the fact that Sheik wasn't in Twilight Princess. Her design is taken from early sketches of a TP Sheik. And Navi's still the pointer in the Wii TP, even if she isn't storyline-present.

Sun-Wukong

Smash Journeyman
In the SSE Link is pulling out the master sword in a forest like "A Link to the Past". It could be any zelda and link they just have there most recent models cause they look the best
Actually, he pulls it out from a forest in Twilight Princess too... Wow, I guess it wasn't a very good theory after all. Then again, Navi still wasn't ever in Twilight Princess. And don't say "She was the cursor in one version of the game." Cause she still wasn't part of the story or a real character. She didn't even interact with Link., but she does in Brawl.

lavamage

Smash Ace
Wisconsin...yay that place no one has ever heard o
Except for their wepons, clothes, and just about everything else I am positive that you, my good sir, are 100% right!

Sorry, but I don't think that there is anything, -Navi, that is OoT about them, their designs are Twilight Princess, and Toon Link is clearly not Ocarina of Time.

Jimbo_G

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0920-1016-4491
I don't think they are pulling characters directly from their most recent games like everyone is thinking. It seems more like they are pulling characters from their series as a whole, taking into account all major aspects of the characters and sort of putting them all together. Yes, Link looks just like his TP counterpart, but that's not the only game he's been famous in. Fairies have played important roles in the series since the first game, so not including a fairy, whether it looks like Navi or not, doesn't really make a lot of sense if you think about it.

The same thing goes for other characters as well. When was the last time Yoshi was in a significant game where he threw eggs? Yoshi's story, which was a long *** time ago. What about Mario and fireballs? Other than the New Super Mario Bros. for the DS, that's a trait he's long abandoned since Super Mario World.

You get my point?

D

Deleted member

Pretty much all the LoZ characters are the same since Melee: Link, Ganondorf, Zelda, and a younger Link, all taken from their most recent activites.

There are some hints some subtle hints to other games though. Like you said Link has a fairy and both Zelda and Toon Link have costumes from older games.

Egret

Smash Journeyman
Link's entrance (tornado) is from Zelda1 or the Oracle games.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
What about Mario and fireballs? Other than the New Super Mario Bros. for the DS, that's a trait he's long abandoned since Super Mario World.

You get my point?
There was a Fire Flower power-up in Galaxy. Also, what about YIDS for Yoshi's eggs?

DMAJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Link had a fairy in the Wii version of Twilight Princess. It's used for your on-screen pointer. :/

Naybewon

Smash Ace
...I think they have Navi following Link because they didn't want to take the time to animate or explain a Midna model. If you've played Twilight Princess, you'll recognize that the forest area Link's walking through (where Yoshi's sleeping) is EXACTLY the same--including the tree stump Yoshi's on--as an area in the Sacred Woods in Twilight Princess. I know there's a Sacred Meadow or Wood in just about every Zelda game, but they LITERALLY lifted the design from Twilight Princess for that cutscene.

I think putting Midna in there would have taken too much time and would have raised questions as to why Link couldn't turn into a wolf in this game, why Midna can't be playable, etc.

Plus Link and fairies are pretty closely related. In his taunt, when he pulls out a fairy, it moves around him in the same pattern as a healing fairy, not the pattern of a companion fairy.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what you could possibly mean by "they're from OoT but their designs are from TP". The ONLY thing that makes characters hail from one game or another is really their look. Accessories like fairies and whatnot aren't really important.

Darth Alec

Smash Rookie
Gale boomerang, the Bomb design, Links design in general.

He's from TP, but his most famous game is OoT, and Navi was a huge part of that. So, they add that as a taunt.

Or, of course, You could say he's from Zelda 2 because of the Dair, or from SSB1 for the fighters-stance taunt.

Top Bottom