• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just starting up, question about light armor

Shoopman

Smash Journeyman
Finally got to setting up this game. When I was browsing through the PM website though, I saw some things about armor now being split into several categories.

Specifically, what is the difference between light armor and heavy armor (or simply non-light armor)? Armor seems like a thing that is either present, or is not present. What exactly is the distinction here? Is light armor present for less frames? Does it only protect against "light" hits, and what is the definition of a "light" hit?

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Armor works with set values. The higher the value, the more powerful the armor is. For example, 200 is the highest value you can have, and only a few moves have it (I think Bowser's fsmash and the startup of his nair have this much armor). Some moves have a value of 140, and so on, so it's not like there's only light and heavy armor.

As for the difference, while I'm not too sure on this, I think higher armor value means that the move will be able to go through moves with knockback values under a specific number.

Also, the moves can have armor of any type for a set duration. Character frame data should show for how long the armor is present, along with the value of the armor.

Shoopman

Smash Journeyman
Wow, very interesting system. Good to know that armor deals with knockback and not damage. Unfortunately, armor values are not present in every frame data set, but I should be able to estimate them for myself through experience

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
In Project M, we use 3 different types of armor; Light Armor, Medium Armor, and Heavy Armor. Light Armor is the tumble threshold. If a move has Light Armor, it will tank through any move that does not send into tumble but if a move will send into tumble, that move will break the armor. I forget what comparisons there are for what Medium and Heavy Armor tank through, but this should hopefully help.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Heavy armor is 200, which is approximately the minimum it takes to kill from the center of FD off the side with a standard kill move (they usually have a Sakurai angle).
medium is somewhere inbetween I don't think there is a good comparison for it.

Top Bottom