• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just Played Project M for the First Time and...

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
So I did play Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, and I'm playing Sm4sh now as well. But I never tried the so-called 'Project M' everyone was talking about.

And I just downloaded it. I have played like 10 minutes. And it is GOOD.

Like, I made this thread to give MAJOR props to the ones who put this project together. I know it must have taken lots of work

AND I made it to ask as, as well, I guess:

How did YOU react when you first played Project M? XD

Oh and if there's a thread about this already, I totally apologize, I'm just so excited about this game XwX

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
I fell in love when I first played it. Was sad at first though since Roy wasn't in the game when I first played.

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Mewtwo and Roy weren't in PM until last December. Several vets weren't implemented until that time either; Brawl veterans were added in each version of PM until the full cast was restored. The first public version only had 14 characters available.

I loved the idea of PM when I first found out about it and after playing it for a while now I'd say it's everything I hoped for and then some, especially with 3.5 just around the corner.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Ooh o3o that sounds interesting.

...speaking of, are any more characters planned to be added?

Bazkip

Smash Master
Ooh o3o that sounds interesting.

...speaking of, are any more characters planned to be added?
It's possible for an additional 5 more characters to be added, but whether they will be and which characters those will be is all up to speculation at this point.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
o^o I guess I'll keep on the lookout

Omg wavedashing is so fun XD (had never tried it in Melee)

AcornGames

Smash Rookie
Well when I first tried it I hadn't had much exposure to Melee or Brawl.
I mean I'd play at a friends place once in a while but they were basically just party games like Mario Kart.

Walking into the smash scene blind, Project M just felt better than my experiences with the other games. The pace just felt so much better and no matter who I played I didn't feel like a character had useless moves, or that anyone wouldn't be fun to play with xD

Learning more about the Melee/PM competetive play I LOVE how much unexplored territory and potential the PM cast has over the other two games :)

あい3

Smash Rookie
NNID
AitoMarth
3DS FC
1693-3217-0339
Honestly, at first I thought it was kind of odd and wasn't too into it. The changes to some of the characters, specifically Lucas were really surprising and it was kind of difficult for me to play as some characters. However, it kind of grew on me, and allowed me to get better at both Melee and Brawl.
Still prefer playing all of the actual games, but Project M's really solid and the care they put into it really shows.

Chaoseater

Smash Rookie
I first played it after 2.0 came out, back in April 2012 and holy hell! I loved it right from the beginning.

My 3 brothers and I use to play Melee religiously and then played Brawl only a little. Honestly, Brawl was a letdown for us. So we hadnt played Smash for so long and when we downloaded Project M, it was like going back into a time machine to the Melee days, with even more surprises (like DKs new dash). Seriously, we played until like 3 or 4 AM like 3 days in a row, so much fun.

But yeah, great first experience and I have to say, Project M is my favorite Smash.

SazoonTheBoon

Smash Apprentice
I started playing in the summer of 2013 after playing brawl casually for 4 or so years and when I started playing, the first character I played was metaknight because I was most used to him in brawl, but boy it was sure a weird experience because pm metaknight feels SOOO different compared to brawl metaknight lol

4tlas

Smash Lord
I didn't really like it at first, but I was also curious. My friend introduced me to it because he was trying to find a way to get into Smash competitively and he didn't really like Brawl. So we played Melee and 64, and though I didn't care about being competitive I was still way better than he was because he was new. We played so much I kinda got sick of Melee, as I missed the characters and stages from Brawl, so he looked into ProjectM for something we could both try.

It was a level playing field, in the sense that it was new to both of us. That was good. But I was used to Brawl, and so just SEEING the Brawl models made it so difficult to learn PM's new moves. He had gone and looked up the changelists, so he actually knew what was going on and so enjoyed exploring the space, but I was just frustrated all the time. "Why the hell did they change that move, it was fine before", I kept shouting. "I can't even control this character anymore, how do you stop this move?!" Eventually I stopped playing all the characters when I found out what Zelda's sideB does, since I felt that was such a cool mechanic that I could be creative with.

Now its fun because I know the basics of what everything does, but there's still always more to learn. It's like a new Smash game! So much to explore. And I'm doing so with new friends that I meet at the local weekly! Thanks PMDT, for making this great game that has given so many countless hours of fun and many new experiences that will shape lives!

TreK

Is "that guy"
I come from a Brawl background, so for the longest time, when I thought PM, I thought "that mod made by Melee scrubs who suck at Brawl". And then one day I heard about the flash that happens when you perform an L cancel. And I figured that maybe the people behind it did not think of Melee as their second Bible. But that maybe they actually consciously questioned the mechanics in that game and tried to improve upon them, rather than just import them. Basically the thing I didn't like about this mechanic is that 99% of the people who've ever played Smash have never heard about it, so when they do, they're like "this is bull****". It turns people away from competition and as such it's not a desirable mechanic in my eyes. Obviously, in a game inspired by Melee, they couldn't simply get rid of it. They gave it visual feedback instead, so that every single person who's ever played Project M knows that there is some kind of technique that lets your character flash white when you land, which lets you move and combo better. And they want to learn it instead. It's a very simple and subtle change, but it's what sold the game to me.

A couple weeks later I was in the UK for a Brawl/Injustice tourney, and my host wanted to let me try PM. If this whole thing hadn't happened before, I probably would have turned down the offer. I shot a few solar beams at a lvl9 Dedede while he was taking a shower and had a great time. The next day I attended Brawl and PM instead ^_^

For some reason I placed the same in both games despite having trained for 5 years at Brawl and one afternoon at PM... I'm still salty about that.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Well did you place well in both, or badly in both? XD That's the real question.

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
I've been smashing since 64, and have always loved Melee for its pacing and physics. (And Ganon being amazingly fun.) I got into the mod scene when Brawl+ started making waves with its No Random Tripping code, and it was a lot of fun to play around with rebalanced characters (particularly Bowser having a faster run speed and less cooldown on dash attack).

Well, Brawl- came along and "broke" everyone, along with giving Fox a Melee airdodge option so he could waveshine. Good gravy was that fun to try out for the first time on the Wii. It also featured much faster gameplay and ridiculous combos, though it was still floaty like Brawl and recovery was even easier with the improved options.

I forget exactly when I heard of PM, but I saw the previews for it when it was just in backroom-only v1.0, and was waiting for the hype train that was the first public release 2.0. You can check the version history and characters available-per-release on ssbwiki, but needless to say it was amazing to see my main Ganon lighting up the big screen with his old moves and wavelands. Every release has just had my mouth DROP further and further!

EDIT: Omigosh, someone link to the character reveal trailers and explain the hype behind Dr. Mario's reveal and stuff! (I will but I have work in the morning first.) The Mewtwo trailer especially - NOBODY knew it was coming (just that there would be a special announcement) and they played the trailer LIVESTREAM after a major tournament's PM Grand Finals! Just imagine waiting hours and hours on stream for you-don't-even-know-what with so much awesome already, only to get a reveal like that!

Last edited:

Boondocker

Smash Ace
So I did play Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, and I'm playing Sm4sh now as well. But I never tried the so-called 'Project M' everyone was talking about.

Like, I made this thread to give MAJOR props to the ones who put this project together. I know it must have taken lots of work

Oh and if there's a thread about this already, I totally apologize, I'm just so excited about this game XwX
My initial reaction was to **** in my pants. Finally, a game that is made by competitive gamers and will be consistantly updated. After hearing that nintendo could possibly shut it down, my excitement cooled off a bit. However, it is still my main game and i give props to those who made it as well!

Celestis

Smash Ace
When first played, I hated it. or at least pretended to.I was dumb, and I also wanted to defend my own smash mod idea. BUT! Inside I knew it was great.
My friends and I played brawl plus and minus and all that, but I wanted to keep PM hidden so I played in secret lol not wanting them to like it. Of course I gave in and showed my friends. They did not like the lack of characters. It was until 2.0 that they finally gave it a chance.

Last edited:

xXSciophobiaXx

Smash Apprentice
First game I played, I was like… well… uhh… I don't like some aspects of this mod compared to Brawl+. The very next game I was like. Oh…. No, this is way, way, way, way better. WAY BETTER. Wait, all the characters are good? L-cancelling? WAVEDASHING? … I think I need a moment. If only there was mewtwo… I only had to wait like a couple of years.

Foo

Smash Lord
When I first started playing, I HATED it. I'd played brawl with my friends casual before, and no other smash games, really. When I first started, I couldn't get used to calling faster, the airdodge etc. and just SD'd all the time, but it what all my friends were playing. I hated losing, so I really wanted to get better, but that involved getting used to the more complicated mechanics. I kept wishing stuff like teching, shffling, wavelanding, etc. weren't in the game so I wouldn't have to learn it.

However, once I played more and more and got better, I really started to enjoy the game until I eventually fell in love with it. Now I am glad all of those mechanics are in the game. (Except for l cancelling, that's kind of artificial difficulty.)

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I was purely a casual willing to try something new when I dowloaded 2.5 after hearing it's fun from some people. Wasn't really a fan of Melee back then and didn't really care about a game's "competitiveness"

First character I played was Zard and boooooooooy did I love what they did to him. I remember my friend had come over that day so I went through every character and absolutely loved everything, from the stages to every little moveset change. It also motivated me to get better and expand my smash knowledge overall.

Mean Green

Smash Lord
The game met almost every last expectation I had. And it's great that it's so easy to use textures and stuff

Last edited:

wiiztec

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wiiztec
I first played it when 3.0 came out and thought "hey it's not as bad as I thought" then I thought I might join the team. I had missed an opportunity to do so before when shanus tried to pay me $200 to fix stage collision detection. so after a couple months of procrastinaliberation I joined mid February

SmashLord0

Smash Cadet
I first played it when 3.0 came out and thought "hey it's not as bad as I thought" then I thought I might join the team. I had missed an opportunity to do so before when shanus tried to pay me $200 to fix stage collision detection. so after a couple months of procrastinaliberation I joined mid February
Are you newest member of the PMDT? 0_o

Fortress

Smash Master
Started playing PM as my first competitive Smash title about two years ago. Started with 64, played Melee for a bit as a kid, but never got into competition (somehow I never heard about it, despite doing nothing but playing 64 for a couple of years as my go-to game when I was younger). Got back into 64 on netplay sometime before I got introduced to PM.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345

When I was first playing Project M, it of course felt like a completley new experience. I mean look around the screen during your first match of PM. Icons, the size of the stocks, the timer moved from left to middle, everything just looked so different. I can still remember a bit of my first match on PM 3.0. I wanted to play as Mewtwo (green) on FoD and I was fighting a CPU Meta Knight with his new butterfly costume. There have been countless times I was just simply burning my hours on just fighting CPUs with either Mewtwo or Bowser (maybe a new character every now and then), it was what I did everytime I got back from my horrible high school.

Now that I think about it, PM is what got me into Smashboards in the first place. There had to be a purpose for all my CPU training, so I signed up on this website to fight respectable and powerful Smashers. Seriously, local friend I still have or not, EVERY. SINGLE. PERSON. I. FOUGHT. LOCALLY! Either was a complete casual who doesn't know jack-sh*t about competitive play or is a person that likes Brawl / Smash 4 over Melee because it's a fresher Smash game since the game's engine "doesn't rely on exploits and is filled with bullcrap" (looking at you my older college brother). Last time I checked, Smash tournaments from where I am don't appear weekly (I mean I'm still in high school but haven't learned how to drive. I really should try to do that sometime when i'm not busy or distracted). Here was the perfect place to call for PM matches and actually have a challenge, or someone completley being better than me or neck and neck (the following people: @JDavisR (NIX) , @Paradoxium , @TheKmanOfSmash , @ShadowGanon , @Poloflipx , and many more. And then Smashboards obviously had more to offer like Threads, any Smash news, etc.

Let me sum it up without explaining more of my life: PM is the best competitive Smash experience of all Smash games bar possibbly Melee. It brought me here, and I have left my mark with the Devilish Troll himself, Bowser. And tommarrow we have PM 3.5 coming up! That's gonna be hype!

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
When I first played it, I hated it. It felt choppy and uninspired. It seemed to take Melee mechanics and put them in a context of an "easy-mode auto-combo recover-for-free" game.

I've lightened up to it, but I still think it needs to be made more difficult.

Last edited:

31gma

Smash Cadet
NNID
yrba10
I giggled like a little girl when I didn't experience any tripping. That almost made me want to send out death threats to Sakurai.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I giggled like a little girl when I didn't experience any tripping. That almost made me want to send out death threats to Sakurai.
Admittedly, he DID fix that in the new one.

But then again, why WOULDN'T he?

Szion

Smash Journeyman
My first thoughts were "Damn this looks good. OH I CAN COMBO?"

Minutes later it was "Damn this is gonna be hard. But I know this is good so i can't quit".
I just knew somehow. Even though lucario and roy weren't in yet. I loved it.

JipC

Smash Journeyman
I thought it was really neat and was satisfied with Mario's buffs but I didn't really care for it until the roster was complete. I also come from a Brawl background so the hitstun, the combos, the balance, etc.. It was all pretty new to me, I thought it was really cool.

Last edited:

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
I think the first version I played was 2.0? It already had a pretty healthy roster of characters, and the gameplay was so crisp and fun that I just couldn't stop playing. Plus, mah man DK was finally the beast he'd always deserved to be!

I remember this incredible feeling of relief when I first played it. I'd always been pretty bummed about how different Brawl was from Melee, and when I played Project M it was like a smoky haze was lifting from the game, and I could finally enjoy it the way I'd hoped I would when they were announcing characters.

At the same time, it wasn't Melee and it wasn't Brawl. It was something new and fascinating and beautiful. As I played more and more, it dawned on me that a brand new Smash game had been released right under my nose. And as a long-time Smash fan, if you can imagine that feeling... it's pretty incredible. XD

It's been a long road, watching them flesh out the entire roster and even add Mewtwo/Roy. Witnessing this mod's continued success gives me the feeling of a proud parent sometimes, haha. I tell all my friends to download it, and whenever they come over now they're begging to play PM, which is a pretty awesome feeling. :D

Top Bottom