• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just for this game, what do you think of the current "second character in third-party franchise can only be an echo" limit?

Topic

• They did too much; should have stuck to one per franchise

• It was a good decision

• They did too little; the second character in a franchise should've been more unique

Results are only viewable after voting.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I agree that for the next installment, they need to branch out and give third party franchises more unique characters should they get multiple, but I think for this game it was a good call so as to not move things too quickly with third party characters.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I mean I’m a fan of it because I think that “rule” means that Sakurai would aim for other franchises from their respective companies instead of laser focusing on one franchise though that’s just me.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I've never heard anyone declare this as any kind of rule and don't think Nintendo thinks of it as one either. Right now it's been done that way simply to get a few extra characters into the game.

If they wanted to put Alucard or Chun-li into the game, I don't see anything that's stopping them. It's just that right now that's not what the focus is on.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I've never heard anyone declare this as any kind of rule and don't think Nintendo thinks of it as one either. Right now it's been done that way simply to get a few extra characters into the game.

If they wanted to put Alucard or Chun-li into the game, I don't see anything that's stopping them. It's just that right now that's not what the focus is on.
No one has said anything, but there is a pattern here. Brawl settled with only one character per third party company, Smash 4 had only one character per third party franchise, and Ultimate has multiple characters per third party franchise, but only a template and echo. They're clearly taking the gradual path when it comes to expanding the role third party franchises and companies have in the series.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Shadow is unique enough to not be an Echo Fighter, but it is rather interesting how among all the Echo Fighters, Lucina, Chrom, and Ken are the only ones who do not play entirely the same way as the fighters whom they're mimicking; the only thing that sets Richter apart from Simon is his Holy Water, but other than that, the two pretty much play the exact same way outside of certain match-ups.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I wish we had more unique echoes. Would be nice if there were reasons to play Simon over Richter other than aesthetics and a few matchups. Shoulda made Richter faster and Simon slower but he does more damage. It's not too late to change such a thing and would probably be an easy change to implement, but I'm doubtful they will.

Also would have liked to see unique second characters. Would have preferred Chun-Li over Ken, but Ken's still pretty cool and means they can focus on other franchises, so it's not all bad

Quillion

Smash Hero
Hey, I was looking for this thread. I couldn't find it on Google or this site's search function.

Top Bottom