• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just another ness main

Status
Not open for further replies.

nessrocks08

Smash Rookie
I'm new to these boards...actually I've known about this board for a while and never bothered to get an account...Anyways, I main ness and will be going to my first tournament next weekend...I'm excited but I'm aware that there will probably be a lot of bad matchups. I wanted to ask...when facing a bad matchup, do you go ahead and stick with ness or counterpick? I'm a ness fan at heart so I believe that whatever the odds, ness CAN win. :teeth:

Jiffyboob

Smash Lord
Welcome. For a first tourney, I'd stick with Ness for sure. He's your main and what not. Why not see where you stand with him?
You learn alot in playing offline tournies. Play alot of friendly matches and ask questions like "How do I beat that?" It might seem weird to ask your opponent what you are doing wrong and what you can do that's better, but the smash community is rather good when it comes to helping each other out for the most part.
Pay attention to why you are getting hit and what they are doing. Try and read their actions and anticipate.
Most of all, have fun and good luck!!!

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Jiffy put it really well already but I'm gonna try to expand a bit. It's really silly to expect to place well (or even decently) at your first tourney, so rather than playing around with counterpicks trying in vain to advance negligibly farther (if at all) it's better to focus on really learning how your character works in tourney, how you feel in every matchup, and yeah; ultimately where you stand as a player of that character. Playing bad matchups is one of the best ways of getting experience and a tourney is the best place to do that as people are a lot less likely to sandbag and a lot more likely to know the matchups in more detail than your average casual player.

edit: Just looked at the date this was posted and realized your first tourney would have already passed. Gonna leave this post here anyway in case some other new players see it.

P.I.E.

Smash Ace
pick MK if u lose with ness
Not always the best idea unless you're good with him ( saw it happen at holy smash). It's pretty much screaming to your opponent " I give up! Ness isn't good enough to fight you with!"

Welcome to the boards nessrocks, it's a good thing you signed up, cuz now you can ask for advice easier, and from experience with doing that all too often, i know it helps!!

nessrocks08

Smash Rookie
yeah I went to my first tournament and it went really bad...had a lot of fun playing friendlies and getting a lot of experience though.

Seeing all these people playing the game on another level makes me want to practice and get better.

I got last place if anyone wanted to know :(

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
The most important part is you got friendlies and experience though. Most people don't do well at their first tournament so that's par for the course. Don't worry about getting last, you can only get better from here.

If you wanna talk about future tournament experiences or the like, the social thread's always open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom