• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just a little help needed... Perhaps a lot...

Level 9

Smash Apprentice
Well where to begin... :dizzy:

I've been reading a few guides & watching quite a few advanced match's for the past week now & I must say I'm horrified at just how little I did know about SSBM... :urg:

I would like to start by saying it's an honer just to be here let alone talk you people who have come to play this game like a hacker plays the Internet...

I hope I will not be a burden on anyone here who reads this... I have a from of mental dyslexia that makes it nearly imposable to remember simple shapes & objects... Long story short I can read at a college level, But I struggle spell at a 5'th... (I'm using a Fire Fox Spell checker)

Never the less I have a few things I just needed to clarify to myself just in case I somehow got them wrong... (I do that a whole- hella-lot more then I would like to admit)

So this is what I need to know... As this will be a growing list I'll just start off here... :ohwell:

Waveshining... Is wavedashing out of or into a shine all there is to it? or am I completely missing something...?

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Only one spelling mistake, pshh, thats better than 5th graders, they talk weird

I LIEK KILD U 2 FOO

Anyways, you have the shine part correct, and although that is all there is to it, it is a great thing to learn and will make your combos a lot better

Level 9

Smash Apprentice
I've noticed that... I tend to favor Falco all around as he works well even with my stupid hands & most of his key moves put a distance between you & your opponent. Most noticeably for me is his Shine which seems to leave little room to retaliate... And as you implied, set's you up for a combo...

So far the hardest thing I've been trying to muster is L'canceling as the timing is quite difficult for me... Down right imposable for the more advanced stuff... Bowser is the only one who I've bean able put it to effective use with...

To be completely honest it's down right weird for me playing the game like this with these strange & sometimes downright bizarre techniques... (Looking at you Super Wavedash)

Thanks for taking the time to reconfirm that for me... I wasn't to sure that was what I was supposed to be doing...

I suppose I do have one more thing to ask at the moment... I've noticed that if you Shield by hitting L or R & then just as the shield animation starts hold Z you automatically set up a max sized Light Shield instead of Grabbing... Afterwards the Shield is at max size again instantly... However it can be knocked back down in size quickly if you are attacked while doing this... Is this common knowledge? ... If by any chance it is, why do I not see it being done in the videos...?

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
well i must say u still spell better than me n i'm n 10th grade with all PreAP classes so good job.

waveshing i wavedashing out of a shine, and to help u with l-cancelling u should go to practice mode and play around with links downA (i think thats what it is) once u get that fast go to falco and u should have it, thats how i learned it anyway

Dojo

Smash Champion
L-canceling took me only a couple of hours to get down with falco. It wasn't that great at the beginning but it's progressed alot. I still mess up every now and then but it's there for the most part.

On the shield subject slightly tap forward on the joystick in the direction you'll facing and that should take care of the problem.

quak

Smash Champion
Dude, i'd like to add, don't start idolizing smash players man, if you do, people will just think you're some version of a groupie. And they're nothing worse than a groupie for a video game. It's bad enough that we waste this much time on this game :p

Level 9

Smash Apprentice
True enough quak... I'll keep that in mind... This is an impressive archive of information never the less... those that have contributed to it should take pride in that...

Anyway despite actual phrase for my spelling there seems to be some confusion about what I posted previously...

Dojo. There's no problem with the shield... (I might have read you wrong) What I was asking is if anyone else discovered that shield restore glitch & if so why have I not seen it put to any real use...? In short I was just asking rather if or if not I found something worth remembering...

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
Dude, i'd like to add, don't start idolizing smash players man, if you do, people will just think you're some version of a groupie. And they're nothing worse than a groupie for a video game. It's bad enough that we waste this much time on this game :p
this is so true

Dojo

Smash Champion
Sorry thats my fault. I've actually never really noticed its completly restored. As its not seen on any pro vids and as they have found nearly every aspect to the game it may not help to much. That or you have just found something entirely new. =)

Level 9

Smash Apprentice
That's what I'm wondering Dojo... :urg:

It seems to act nothing like how the normal shield acts too... It takes a LONG time to degenerate & it always reflects... It can be pulled out just as quickly as the normal shield & each time it's at it's MAX...

On the flip side however it only would take two strong blows (4 week ones) to reduce it to nothing & leave you wide open for a counter of any sort...

It will also not auto regenerate back to it's max size after bing hit until it has time to restore like a normal shield would...

But if you consider that after you do it all you need to do is take your finger off the Z button to put it back to your normal shield... It's effortlessly easy to restore your shield while your opponent is even a short distance out of reach & unable to attack... It's makes beating the Master & Crazy Hands nearly effortless as well... :chuckle:

EDIT: Well... I'd just like to add this as it's something I just found out that might make this all meaningless...

This trick will not fully work while the game is being played on the Wii... You can do it only if you have the shield already at max size... I really & honestly have no idea what so ever as to why this is as the Wii pretty much is a NGC only with slightly better hardware...

The trick probably depended on the possessing speed of the NGC... You could only do it in the brief moment wean your shield flashes as it's being formed... The smaller the shield the faster you needed to press the Z button... It's almost imposable to do on the Wii unless your shield is close to max size already... :urg:

Well... Bummer... And here I thought I had something... :dizzy:

mark.

Smash Journeyman
ok i was a little lazy to read anything you said (i skimmed), sorry. welcome!

umm, you can press R/L lightly to put up a lightshield as well.

Wak's Avdvanced how to play: (video series)
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=72556

^EVERYTHING YOU NEED pertaining to advanced techs. (that apply to all characters)

if ur running out of shield, sidestep (down+shield). i dont think it takes any shield off.

Level 9

Smash Apprentice
mark. Thanks but that wasn't what I was talking about...

You are right though... It's a bit of a read... All I was saying is how I found a glitch that let you instantly fully restore your shield...

Fore some strange reason however it's not really possible to do while playing the game one the Nintendo Wii... Pressing the L or R buttons lightly makes it easier to pull off... But the Wii runs the game much more fluently then the NGC can & thus the window of time is almost nonexistent...

Top Bottom