• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just 2 quick questions! Answers appreciated ;)

Double Vision

Smash Rookie
NNID
Phil9943
Ok, I might sound a little bit noobish by asking this, but can someone explain to me what a DI is and how counterpicks work? I've never quite been able to understand those 2. Anyway, thanks for your time ;)

link2702

Smash Champion
DI;

easiest way to explain it, you get hit by a strong attack, you hold the control stick in a particular direction, the direction you hold it helps to determine how much you'll go flying at a particular angle. Example, you get hit by a strong attack, you hold the control stick up, you start to go flying more upwards towards the screen, hold it down, you'll be more at a downward angle. when used properly can help you survive at %'s normally not possible(hence the reason some players who have good DI skills are sometimes able to live as long as 200% or more.) Yes you can also hold it in the opposite direction of what you were sent flying, and you won't get knocked as far as normal.

There are a LOT more things to it than that, and I didn't talk about smashDI or anything....but that was the easiest way I could think of to explain how it works as a very basic example. Someone else will surely come along and explain it better.

NOW as for counterpicking....its something that happens in tournaments. Its the act of picking a stage(when talking about stage counterpicking) that either tailors more towards your own characters strengths and advantages than your opponents(example, Final destination is a good stage for IC to pick, as there are no platforms or anything that an opponent can use to more easily avoid their chaingrab) or actually counters your opponents characters strengths(example; once again with ice climbers, pick a moving stage against the ice climbers, something like rainbow cruise, ice climbers have an extremely difficult time on areas like this since they can no longer rely on their chaingrab as much, and have to worry more about keeping their partner alive.)

the act of character counterpicking; Picking a character who's strengths and advantages seem to directly counter your opponents character. Example; picking pikachu against someone like fox, Pika has a very easy to do chaingrab on fox, he can do it right up to kill %, It means pikachu doesn't really have to work near as hard as fox does in this matchup, A player would thus pick pikachu in order to counter a fox player.

This is why learning the individual matchups for your character are so important, you HAVE to know just what your character is capable of doing against your opponents character, and vice versa, what their character can do to yours.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
DI;

easiest way to explain it, you get hit by a strong attack, you hold the control stick in a particular direction, the direction you hold it helps to determine how much you'll go flying at a particular angle. Example, you get hit by a strong attack, you hold the control stick up, you start to go flying more upwards towards the screen, hold it down, you'll be more at a downward angle. when used properly can help you survive at %'s normally not possible(hence the reason some players who have good DI skills are sometimes able to live as long as 200% or more.) Yes you can also hold it in the opposite direction of what you were sent flying, and you won't get knocked as far as normal.
This is wrong. If you hold the stick in the opposite direction, it's the same as not doing anything at all. Since doing that will smash DI the opposite direction, you will live just a tad longer than doing nothing, but it's not because of launch DI.

Another contributor to this mistaken belief is that holding down can input a fastfall when you are launched straight up by an attack. The fastfall slows the upward momentum and helps save you. The actual correct DI against straight up knockback in brawl is to hold right or left until your launch DI is read (that is, until you start moving), then tap down to input your fast fall, then input your characters fastest-to-finish aerial.
Actually maybe it doesn't read the fastfall until you do the aerial, I generally do them at pretty much the same time, as soon as my launch DI has been read.

Smash DI is pretty different from launch DI even though it shares a name. It happens while a move is freezing you in place, but before you start to travel, a period of time that is remarkably longer on moves like tippered Marth forwardsmash. Every frame the game reads a directional input from the C stick and control stick, and if that direction is different from the one it read last frame, your character moves a small amount of distance in the direction. The distance changes based on the move. Wiggling the stick so that the direction is not exactly the same frame by frame is a common tactic to maximize this. And by stick I mean both sticks.

Extremely high skill technical players will use both techniques to survive another 5% longer than average ones. I've seen reflex get hit by a Marth upsmash and use smash DI to move all the way to the hilt of Marth's sword before traveling up.

Top Bottom