• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jungle japes.

leonin

Smash Cadet
Some people around here started to use jungle japes(melee) as a stage for counterpicking my dedede,it should'nt suppose to be a big counter to dedede i guess,but i found myself with some difficult with the arena,even if i dont rely too much on chaingrab the opponent.:dizzy:

I would like to people here discuss about the stage and give me some point about how i should fight my opponent in this arena,note that it can be any char as the opponent.

DZLE

Smash Master
On japes I will only CG them if i land a shield grab on the middle main platform, otherwise I just use tons of waddle's, utilt helps alot here too, and of course, the bair.
I find myself fair-ing from time to time on the side platforms too, more than usual.
Also, ftilts arent all to bad when your on a side platform.
Try to land grabs still, but instead, either bthrow or fthrow them off an "edge" of the level and play your edge-game.
Just try to avoid your up-b if you can on this level. Too dangerous with the many opportunities for you to fall in the water, and with the lag of the landing, get totally pwned by it.
You can pretty much use your edgeguard game all over this stage.

Just play it safe here, not too aggressive, and depending on the match-up, you shouldnt have TONS of trouble.

Foursaken

Smash Apprentice
Ah, Jungle Japes! This stage has been around since the Melee days; I still remember nodding my head to the beat of the DK Rap. But enough reminiscing from me, on to the point.

I'm not surprised people are counter picking this level against a fellow DeDeDe user, the short and choppy platforms work well in deterring chain grabbing, so you'll have to either rely on back throws for damage, or down throw to forward tilt. And the incredibly high ceiling makes killing with the up tilt pretty hard if your opponent can DI well.

One thing I find myself doing whenever I catch my opponent on one of the smaller platforms is either back throwing for 16% fresh, or down throw to forward tilt. In both cases, you should be throwing them away from the stage in attempt to set up your edge guard. Back air or forward air as you please since the up tilt takes a bit more time to kill then that of other stages. You wont be killing with up tilt until about the 130s - 160s depending on character weight.

This counter pick isn't absolutely horrid for DeDeDe, he does have a few tricks. If your CGing across the main platform at low percents, forward throw. Why you ask? Sometimes your opponent will hit the edge of the smaller platform, popping them back up into a bad position. Punish as you please.

Another trick I've learned is that attempting to swallowcide can be very beneficial if you do it on the left side of the stage, small platform. Upon landing in the water with D3's gut full, they'll automatically break out of your stomach and be in the swimming position. The current is usually strong enough for an insured kill, since this is unknown to most people. Beware that the current can take you under as well, so traverse these waters cautiously. Mash your jump button of choice immediately upon landing in the the river, your stocks are at risk.

Hope this helps. :)

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
The only time when DDD would be forced to go to jungles japes is if you play falco, and in tht case, the DDD is kinda fvcked, falco's illusion on this stages gives him great mobility around the stage, and can land some dairs more often with the multiple open areas, theres is plenty for to disscuss on how this stage greatly benefits falco in most all of his match-ups, but as DDD, i would refrain from this stage, as it does not benefit his metagame like other stages do.

JST

Smash Apprentice
When someone cps Japes I just go Falco, lol.

BurtonEarny

Smash Ace
I played here the other day and didn't mind it. I got claptrap killed once, and that gets annoying. I like the middle platform, because you can space, but you get to attack small platforms nicely with waddles and airs. Utilt kills later than usual because of the high ceiling, but bair is very dangerous at the sides. Not really hard to figure this out though.

Top Bottom