• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jumping

Kirby Redux

Smash Journeyman
OK, now i KNOW this is a newbish question, but I just want to get input from other people. Which is better to do, jumping with X or Y, or jumping with the stick? I find myself using the stick more often than not, and only when i really concentrate do i end up using X/Y. Is this ok? or should i really practice with X/Y and learn to use them more? Keep in mind I use the cstick for smashes.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Using a button to jump is easier for me as I can do an aerial while I am in the process of jumping. Personally X feels the most comfortable for me with jumping, but Y is probably just as good.

But hey if you are comfortable with tap jumping then feel free to use it. I personally just feel like I can be more precise if I use a button to jump.

Eten

Smash Ace
All the friends I know who insist on using tap jump to jump also are much less likely to want to shorthop... I think it may be harder to reliably shorthop with tap-jump over a button press, but what is more important is to do what works for you.

I have mine to Y, because I don't have to move my massive thumb to play that way, I just roll it around A/Y/B. A lot of people do something similar with the X button for jump instead. Personally, My X button is remapped to shield, because with analog shielding take out in Brawl, the springs in the analog shoulders only slow me down(some have removed said springs because of this reason.) I also have tap-jump off so I never accidentally jump doing up-aerials or up-tilt or up-smashes or up-B moves.

Kasai

Smash Journeyman
It will probably be easier in the long run to use the X/Y because doing short hop aerials will be much easier when you don't have to jam the stick in multiple directions. Honestly I've always either used the c buttons on 64 or x/y...I never liked the stick...

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Button-jumping is way more practical than stick-jumping. It's just easier and lets you concentrate easier

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
I'm one of the few people who can actually use tap jump to play >.>

It's preference, really. Most people, however, prefer to use a button jump. I grew up on Tap Jump so I'm used to it. The only thing I think tap jump needs is a little bit more practice, then it's just as good as a button jump.

Kirby Redux

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, i actually never knew that you could button jump until i bought melee about two years ago... Lol. Because when i first played N64, my friend told me i could only jump with up on the stick. After that, i just thought that was how you jumped.

hectichobo

Smash Ace
X
10char
Even with 10 char it doesnt work -.- so that is why i wrote this < okay im done now...

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
Me? I use the X button. Just easier for me. I got tap jump off 'cause it gets in the way of u-tilts.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Shorthopping with the control stick is easy after you practice. Now it's second nature to just flick it. Waveshining wasn't too hard in melee either.

DarKirby92

Smash Cadet
wow, Delta Z is the first person here that has said stick-jumping gets in the way of up-tilts, i woulda thought that it would also be a big problem for Kirbys. That's my reason.

storm92

Smash Ace
I use X.
SH aerials are awesome with Kirbs, so I had to make the switch of using Tap Jump since SSB64.
I just went in Training with a name setting that had Tap Jump Off, practiced, then did brawl after brawl to get used to it.
Now, I can't stand Tap Jump.

Red.Tide

Smash Cadet
Why doesn't anyone use custom controls beyond turning tap jump off? I use Z for jumping, setting X and Y as grab. It's easier to shff aerials with two different fingers, rather than moving your thumb from X or Y to A.

I only use the Gamecube controller so I can use the c-stick for Kirby's fthrow -> uair combo.

Triforce_Chauzu

Smash Apprentice
X is jump for me. I have Y as grab but I rarely use it, much more often grab with L+A.

Even if I wanted to, I can't use Z as jump (I tried it now that you mentioned it, felt disgusting e/w) since I zair with Samus there. Too used with that. :)

chingy

Smash Apprentice
wtf that is noobish i use the stick to jump (no homo) so i can use smashes with the c stick so maybe use analog sitck

Top Bottom