• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

JumpFesta Shows off New Brawl Demo

PilotEvan

Smash Journeyman
Brawl made a showing at <a href="http://www.jumpfesta.com/">JumpFesta</a> in Japan a few days ago, but apparently the demo wasn’t the same one that was at E for All. How different was it? Well, our own Kokichi <a href="http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=3567118">got to play it himself</a>. Here are some highlights from Kokichi’s impressions:
<ul>
<li><!--[if !supportLists]-->Wario and Kirby replaced Donkey Kong and Sonic in the character select screen.</li>
<li><!--[if !supportLists]--><!--[endif]-->The Summit, WarioWare, and Melee Temple stages were playable.</li>
<li><!--[if !supportLists]--> <!--[endif]-->Wall jumping is in (as seen through Diddy on Temple).</li>
<li><!--[if !supportLists]--> <!--[endif]-->WarioWare stage has a reward and a punishment system depending on one’s performance though the minigames.</li>
<li><!--[if !supportLists]--> <!--[endif]-->Wario’s remaining two special moves are Bite (Neutral) and “Wario Spin†(Up).</li>
<li><!--[if !supportLists]--> <!--[endif]-->Wario’s bike (after ditching it) can be repeatedly thrown and eventually broken, resulting in even more items to throw.</li>
<li><!--[if !supportLists]--> <!--[endif]-->Kirby is potentially better than he was in Melee.</li>
<li><!--[if !supportLists]--> <!--[endif]-->The items that come from Kirby’s Final Smash might only be obtainable by Kirby himself.</li>
<li><!--[if !supportLists]--> <!--[endif]-->New videos were shown; they may possibly be shown later on the Dojo.</li>
</ul>

So what does this mean? Why weren’t Wario and Kirby included in the E for All demo? My opinion is that Kirby is perhaps one of the most complicated characters to program next to the Ice Climbers, considering his Neutral B isn’t static like the others’. An entirely different look and move must be programmed for each character that is sucked in, each of which must be modified to fit his small size, perhaps weakened, matched with new sounds for each attack, and all must be tested for bugs and must be consistently successful; all a feat perhaps too difficult to meet the deadline of E 4 All (the demos were shipped much earlier than the actual expo date). After all, Ice Climbers were, yet again, not included, which supports the theory, but regardless that’s all it is. As for Wario, I have nothing for him.

Does Kirby’s inclusion in this particular demo mean anything for <a href="http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=130142">SamuraiPanda’s “Conspiracy Theoracyâ€</a>? I don’t think it disproves it, but it’s definitely something to consider. Wario’s bike mechanics seem to add to the new possibilities with items. We already have the old standbys of Link’s bombs and Peach’s turnips, but now we also have Samus’ suit after her Final Smash, DeDeDe’s Waddle Dees and Waddle Doos, Wario’s bike, Wario’s bike when it’s broken, and perhaps many more possibilities. Considering that it’s much easier to grab items in the game (even during an attack, mind you) I think we’ll have dozens of new strategies revolving around these items.

Kirby’s buff is a welcome improvement, especially for the Kirby fans among us (like me), but does the fact that his Final Smash items might only be obtainable by him mean anything in the light of balance and tournament play? Perhaps there are, in fact, ways for other characters to nab the items, or perhaps the items that may be too unfair (such as the Maxim Tomato) won’t be brewed by Kirby if the item is turned off before play. Also, the news of new videos is always good news.

For more on the subject, check out the <a href="http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=131998">original thread</a>. Kokichi’s <a href="http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=3567118">impressions begin here</a>.

(If any of you want to ask him any questions in the thread, <em>please</em> check to see if the question has already been asked/answered, or simply suck it up and don’t ask. He is only one person, so be respectful and don’t flood him with questions. After all, they’re all going to be answered in less than a month when the game is released in Japan anyway.)

Also, if anyone else attended JumpFesta, please post your own play impressions and opinions in the original thread.

AniMaL 214

Smash Journeyman
hmmm niccee nd ya some sarters weren't ncluded because not all the bugs were finished out i mean b4 kirby could be done all the characters had 2 be done 1st

Denirio

Smash Rookie
this is nice... nice elmo nice...
i cant wait... i might fly to japan and buy it...
o yea...

Night Avenger

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if this deconfirms, modifies or doesn't do a thing to SamuraiPanda's Conspiracy Theory...

Blackadder

Smash Master
Interesting.
I'm glad that we now have new info on Wario, and breathed a huge sigh of happiness when I read Kokichi's post on Hyrul not being changed at all.
Which is awesome.

What else is there to say? Neat news, really.

retro gamer 6

Smash Journeyman
one thing i like to know, does kirby's FS require you to be near an enemy to work like ike's and meta knights's, or does it just suck in every character on the stage? someone please answer! thanx. kirby rules!

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
News like these makes me want to play the game even more. Oh well, there's a little less than a month and a half to wait.

S2

Smash Lord
one thing i like to know, does kirby's FS require you to be near an enemy to work like ike's and meta knights's, or does it just suck in every character on the stage? someone please answer! thanx. kirby rules!
It sucks players into the pot. Dunno if there is a certain distance away in which you become immune, but from what I heard you don't have to be super close like Meta's FS.

StarFox64ftw

Smash Cadet
this is nice... nice elmo nice...
i cant wait... i might fly to japan and buy it...
o yea...
or get a copy off eBay lol

u think there will be a language setting if one was to obtain brawl off line from japan to set it in english?

either way, fighting is a universal language and i would love to get it 2 weeks early

orintemple

Smash Lord
or get a copy off eBay lol

u think there will be a language setting if one was to obtain brawl off line from japan to set it in english?

either way, fighting is a universal language and i would love to get it 2 weeks early
Yea it isn't that hard to navigate a menu even if you can't read it. Buying it from ebay though, IF there is anyone selling it it will be like 300$

Top Bottom