• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Jul 18, 2015] Calder Clash #1 (Grandville, MI)

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
calder.jpg
As a community, we have been working hard through our weeklies and other events here at Alpha Players to make Smash 4 huge. Our last tournament, the Tom Nook Experience, had a very solid turnout in February, and we hope to make Calder Clash even bigger! We invite all to come participate in what will be our biggest tournament of Alpha Players yet!

If you know for sure you're coming, please take a moment to preregister here. Helps us get an idea on how many people will be showing up.

Please refer to this link to find out more about rules, legal stages, and much more! This may be updated from time to time, so please give it a look and ask any questions if there's anything you don't understand. Below is just a more compact look at what to expect from this tournament, but I highly encourage people to look at the Google document, too, to be sure you know of what to expect from this.

11:00 AM: Singles and Doubles registration opens
12:00 PM: Doubles registration closes
12:30 PM: Doubles bracket begins
1:00 PM: Iron Man side event registration closes
1:30 PM: Iron Man side event begins
3:00 PM: Singles registration closes
3:30 PM: Singles pools begin
8:00 PM: Event concludes
Starters
Final Destination/Omega Palutena's Temple
Battlefield
Smashville
Town and City
Dreamland 64

Counterpick
Delfino Plaza
Kongo Jungle 64
Dunk Hunt
Lylat Cruise
Nintendo Gamecube controller
Wii U Pro controller
Wii U Gamepad
Nintendo 3DS, 3DS XL, New 3DS, and 2DS
Wiimote
Wiimote + Nunchuck
Wiimote + Steering Wheel
Nintendo manufactured or licensed Wii Classic controllers, except those with turbo functionality
Wii U console, power cord, and HDMI cord

Wii U GamePad and charger

Reliable and functional GCN adapter, first-party or otherwise

720p or higher HDTV with 16ms response time and functional audio, or external speakers that provide audio

A copy of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U with all legal stages and and characters unlocked, including the following; Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Ryu, and the stage Dreamland 64
Join us and show us all what you're capable of!

Last edited:

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
I find it funny that Kongo Jungle is legal over Castle Siege/Halberd.

Likely will be here for this with a East MI Carpool.

Swiggity Swooty coming for that West MI booty.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
After some extensive discussion over stage legality, the vast majority in our Facebook group page (myself included) concluded that Halberd and Castle Siege both had too many issues that everyone universally had problems with here and wished to see banned. We all fought hard for their exclusion for much better stages, though Kongo Jungle remains. There were games seen where barrel camping and circle camping in general were a bit of an issue and seemed to too strongly favor certain characters and force timeouts. Thankfully we're all open minded here, and we always try to give the best possible experience for our players and if Kongo Jungle is something people no longer wish to see in our ruleset, we can always find an alternative. :) Looking forward to seeing you that day!

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
I would rather see Castle Siege over Kongo Jungle since the environment doesn't actually harm you or make you invincible.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
I'll see what they say about that. You can also bring it up and discuss that on our West Michigan Smash page if you'd like to. I'm all for healthy discussions and debates on the legality of stages.

Jpot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jpot93
We've decided we're going to collect some more data on Kongo Jungle via Calder Clash #1. The match on KJ that went to time was Miloni's Diddy vs. KingJames' Dedede, and Miloni was trying to prove a point (successfully). If it continues to be a problem, we'll ban it for future tournaments.

Our main issue with Castle Seige is the walkoffs, statues, and general campiness of the 2nd transformation. The statues especially add very little except vaguely defined hurtboxes and unexpected projectile behavior.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
We've decided we're going to collect some more data on Kongo Jungle via Calder Clash #1. The match on KJ that went to time was Miloni's Diddy vs. KingJames' Dedede, and Miloni was trying to prove a point (successfully). If it continues to be a problem, we'll ban it for future tournaments.

Our main issue with Castle Seige is the walkoffs, statues, and general campiness of the 2nd transformation. The statues especially add very little except vaguely defined hurtboxes and unexpected projectile behavior.
If you think 45 seconds of minor camping on Castle Siege makes it ban worthy especially comparing it to Kongo Jungle's much easier ability to camp I feel bad for you guys and what you'll be enduring. I as well as other Easterners will make it a statement that KJ is nowhere near competitively sound for Singles.

I think you guys should be giving Castle the same treatment you are giving Kongo if you are doing it for data.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
If you think 45 seconds of minor camping on Castle Siege makes it ban worthy especially comparing it to Kongo Jungle's much easier ability to camp I feel bad for you guys and what you'll be enduring. I as well as other Easterners will make it a statement that KJ is nowhere near competitively sound for Singles.
Less so the transformation encouraging camping which can realistically be a problem on any stage depending on matchups, and moreso the walkoff which is still a major issue despite chain grabs being a thing of the past. The whole layout for that transformation is just terrible. Same could be said for several layouts seen in Delfino Plaza, but nobody has been complaining about that (yet) nor is there video proof showing exactly why that stage is not great for competitive play. Not to mention the transformations between stage layouts is horrendous; saving players from meteor smashes yet also being a deadly thing to watch out for when it starts transforming throughout layout to layout. Getting grabbed during this and not being by a solid ground will descend you to your death, which is a very viable, cheap tactic when you have the stock lead. It's something people were and continue to be very vocal over excluding due to those numerous issues, definitely the second most controversial stage next to Halberd for the West, Kongo Jungle 64 being suspect of ban material. We'll see how it all goes on the 18th, unless everybody strikes it. :p Will be a good chance to gather video proof in tourney on why Kongo Jungle should potentially be banned given how vocal folks like Miloni were over its removal, whereas there already is such proof we feel on Castle Sieges removal and its various issues.

And if we were to replace Kongo Jungle with something else for the full nine stage list, I'm not sure what else it could realistically be with Halberd and Castle Siege already decided on and other stages being worse in their own way (Skyloft, PS2, etc). Unless we went seven stages, five starters and two counterpicks for a solid seven stages, but I'm not sure what other people would think of that.

Colm

Pink Falcon Main
NNID
ceeolm1313
Also should i bring my wii u and just out of curiosity will this be streamed

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
No miivirse or just with bf and dreamland
As far as I know it's just Battlefield, no Miiverse.
Also should i bring my wii u and just out of curiosity will this be streamed
Of course! As long as you have all of the necessities (DLC characters/Dreamland stage, custom sets unlocked and installed properly, etc) then absolutely. Venue fee will be waived if you bring a TV set, too.

The event will either be streamed by yours truly or the crew who came in for the Tom Nook experience a few months back. Or maybe someone else? Either way, you can definitely expect it to be streamed for sure.

Colm

Pink Falcon Main
NNID
ceeolm1313
Also, i do not have all customs. Should i just farm or will tgere be a 3ds that can give me them. I can farm for customs if needed

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
At the same area this tournament is being hosted at, you could bring your Wii U to get every EVO custom set loaded for you. We have weeklies here every Thursdays at 6:00pm, so you wouldn't have to go through the hassles of farming until you (might) get the customs needed. You can also scour around the West Michigan Facebook page, there's plenty that occur frequently, plenty of Melee, tons of Project M, and some Smash 4. :)

Colm

Pink Falcon Main
NNID
ceeolm1313
At the same area this tournament is being hosted at, you could bring your Wii U to get every EVO custom set loaded for you. We have weeklies here every Thursdays at 6:00pm, so you wouldn't have to go through the hassles of farming until you (might) get the customs needed. You can also scour around the West Michigan Facebook page, there's plenty that occur frequently, plenty of Melee, tons of Project M, and some Smash 4. :)
Thanks

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
It's not a tourney per se, they're just to get many people together for friendlies. Stop on by someday if you have the time!

Jpot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jpot93
If you think 45 seconds of minor camping on Castle Siege makes it ban worthy especially comparing it to Kongo Jungle's much easier ability to camp I feel bad for you guys and what you'll be enduring.
As I said before, the main issues are the fact that the stage has double walkoffs 1/3 of the time, and the statues eat attacks and projectiles in unexpected ways, without adding any way for the players to take advantage of them or use them in interesting ways.
I as well as other Easterners will make it a statement that KJ is nowhere near competitively sound for Singles.
Great! People fighting to back up their opinions on stages with results is exactly what I was hoping for. I, personally, will be doing my best to show that there are plenty of anti-camping tactics to discourage that kind of thing - the foremost being taking and holding an early percentage lead.

I think you guys should be giving Castle the same treatment you are giving Kongo if you are doing it for data.
Castle Siege is very commonly legal in many rulesets, so we feel like there's already plenty of data on that stage - probably a good 60% of my Anther's opponents, for example, ban both Castle Siege and Halberd following a win.

Anyway, I feel like I've given a pretty thorough explanation of our thought processes surrounding our choice of legal stages. I, too, am feeling more skeptical of Kongo Jungle's legality than I did at first, but I'm going to stick with it and see how it plays. Sacrifices must be made in order to hear DK Rap in tournament play.

Last edited:

Jpot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jpot93
We're actually hoping to start registration as early as 11am, pending venue availability. We'll have the schedule set in stone hopefully within the next week.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I heard somewhere that sets that aren't listed but that we want used can be created, will that be the case here or are we only allowed to use the evo sets?

Jpot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jpot93
I heard somewhere that sets that aren't listed but that we want used can be created, will that be the case here or are we only allowed to use the evo sets?
We can't guarantee that every setup will have all individual customs unlocked on the Wii U, only that they will have the EVO standard custom fighters imported and available for use. For that reason, only EVO sets will be legal.

Agree kongo dumb
lol

Last edited:

Jpot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jpot93
Preregistration is now open! http://goo.gl/forms/UWQ48mJjTN

Schedule:
1:30 PM: Iron Man side event begins
3:00 PM: Singles registration closes
3:30 PM: Singles pools begin
8:00 PM: Event concludes

Last edited:

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
Updated the original post because I know these things can get lost in the comments. 11 more days! :)

KingJames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KingJames95
3DS FC
4270-1781-8413
Preregistration is now open! http://goo.gl/forms/UWQ48mJjTN

Schedule: