• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

amageish

Smash Master
Joker would be the most likely ATLUS Rep because he's from an incredibly popular series, I can easily see him getting revealed alongside a P5 Switch Port. Here's what i think his pack will be like.

Character: Joker
Stage: Mementos
Songs: Last Surprise, Life Will Change, Rivers in The Desert, Blooming Villain, Invitation To Freedom, Reach Out To The Truth, Time To Make History, I'll Face Myself, Light Up The Fire In The Night (Dual Mix), Remember, We Got Your Back, Mass Destruction, Wiping All Out, Master Of Shadow, Wait & See, Pull The Trigger.
I'd also rather The Velvet Room for a stage, but otherwise pretty great! I especially like your variety of music tracks - it's a diverse selection without feeling too impractically huge.

If the speculation that DLC will come with spirits too comes true, then who would y'all want to see as ATLUS spirits? Personally, I'd like something like this:
- Ryuji, Morgana, and Ann (because that's the original four)
- Makoto (P3), Yu, and FeMC (all using their PQ2 art)
- The Hero (SMT1), Aleph, Demifiend, and Flynn (because SMTIVA DLC)
- Angel, Fortuna, Pixie, Apollo, Artemis, Izanagi, Orpheus, and Dagda (all important/famous demons/personae)
- The Jack Bros (because mascots and the Virtual Boy)
- Akemi Nakajima (MT), Protector (EO), Frederica Irving (EOU), the Fafnir Knight (EOU), Stocke (RH), Derek Stiles (TC), Markus Vaughn (TC), Valerie Blaylock (TC), and Zen/Rei (because showing love to other ATLUS games is important too)

Also, in my googling to make that list, I found out that Trauma Center was set in 2018. They were, uh, really optimistic about the medical advancements we'd have made by now...

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I'd also rather The Velvet Room for a stage, but otherwise pretty great! I especially like your variety of music tracks - it's a diverse selection without feeling too impractically huge.

If the speculation that DLC will come with spirits too comes true, then who would y'all want to see as ATLUS spirits? Personally, I'd like something like this:
- Ryuji, Morgana, and Ann (because that's the original four)
- Makoto (P3), Yu, and FeMC (all using their PQ2 art)
- The Hero (SMT1), Aleph, Demifiend, and Flynn (because SMTIVA DLC)
- Angel, Fortuna, Pixie, Apollo, Artemis, Izanagi, Orpheus, and Dagda (all important/famous demons/personae)
- The Jack Bros (because mascots and the Virtual Boy)
- Akemi Nakajima (MT), Protector (EO), Frederica Irving (EOU), the Fafnir Knight (EOU), Stocke (RH), Derek Stiles (TC), Markus Vaughn (TC), Valerie Blaylock (TC), and Zen/Rei (because showing love to other ATLUS games is important too)

Also, in my googling to make that list, I found out that Trauma Center was set in 2018. They were, uh, really optimistic about the medical advancements we'd have made by now...
Nothing from Catherine? Boooooo. Makoto and Akechi would definitely be spirits. And in Ren's Final Smash too, honestly

also mara

amageish

Smash Master
Nothing from Catherine? Boooooo. Makoto and Akechi would definitely be spirits. And in Ren's Final Smash too, honestly
I was focusing on characters who were connected to Nintendo in some way (granted, that may not matter given the MGS spirit selection), hence the Catherine absence. I imagine it would just be Vincent, Catherine, Katherine, and Qatherine if they were to include some though.

I was thinking about ATLUS having previously being insanely spoiler-conscious by excluding Akechi/Makoto, but I guess they don't care anymore based on their advertising for the spin-off games...

I imagine that the final Smash, assuming its All-Out Attack, would either (i) randomly select three party members every time you do it or (ii) use the most popular party members (so, Akechi, Makoto and... Yosuke? Didn't see that last one coming).

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I was focusing on characters who were connected to Nintendo in some way (granted, that may not matter given the MGS spirit selection), hence the Catherine absence. I imagine it would just be Vincent, Catherine, Katherine, and Qatherine if they were to include some though.

I was thinking about ATLUS having previously being insanely spoiler-conscious by excluding Akechi/Makoto, but I guess they don't care anymore based on their advertising for the spin-off games...

I imagine that the final Smash, assuming its All-Out Attack, would either (i) randomly select three party members every time you do it or (ii) use the most popular party members (so, Akechi, Makoto and... Yosuke? Didn't see that last one coming).
I think the final smash would be Yusuke, Makoto, and Morgana, with Futaba appearing to say the "It's time for an all out attack!" line. My pipe dream is that a codex/guidance thing would be added with the phantom thieves discussing the opponent, but I'm not delusional enough to think that will actually happen. As for spirits, I think we'll at least get all the phantom thieves including Akechi. Maybe one for Arsene specifically, and possibly Sojiro.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
I dunno if we can be sure that spirits deconfirm characters until the DLC starts getting announced... It just seems unlikely that they would be willing to write off over a thousand Nintendo characters, unless the DLC is going to literally be all third-parties.
Geno's screwed either way. His only official artwork is in the game as a spirit making it impossible for him to get a fighter spirit.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Geno's screwed either way. His only official artwork is in the game as a spirit making it impossible for him to get a fighter spirit.
Actually, Cloud uses his own Smash art for his spirit, so Geno could just use his own Smash art for his fighter spirit.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Let's not have a Geno debate in here. There's no definitive proof that spirits do or don't deconfirm, so it's all really in limbo right now anyway.

Speaking of spirits though, I think it's interesting that we have Tokyo Mirage Sessions spirits and not Hyrule Warriors spirits.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
Let's not have a Geno debate in here. There's no definitive proof that spirits do or don't deconfirm, so it's all really in limbo right now anyway.

Speaking of spirits though, I think it's interesting that we have Tokyo Mirage Sessions spirits and not Hyrule Warriors spirits.
I believe it's because characters like Tsubasa are technically Nintendo's?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm assuming so. But it's just a little strange to me since in my book they count as persona characters more than anything.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I was suggested to this thread by Sigran101 Sigran101 Because I do enjoy Persona 5 quite a bit.

So please tell, why Joker? Has there been anything in his favor to suggest so? Aside from Persona Q 2 and Tsubasa from Tokyo Mirage being a Spirit.

This is not an attack by any means, just curious is all :D

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I think one thing that helps Joker's chances is the lack of other new 3ds games. Nintendo is still supporting the 3ds. They're claiming they hope to continue supporting it for a while still. Yet there's virtually nothing still releasing on it. Persona Q2 doing well would be vital for the dying system. I think Nintendo would want to advertise this game over almost any other third party game coming to their systems, because it's basically all the 3ds has. And you can bet Joker in smash would sell PQ2 better than just about any other 3rd party character would sell their game because, while persona has been on nintendo, has had a crossover with fire emblem, might have more games on the way, and branches off from a series with strong ties to nintendo, PQ2 would be most nintendo fans first introduction to Joker. Smash could easily double the sales of PQ2 or more, which Nintendo really needs.
Nintendo says they want to support the 3DS but in reality they know it's dying. Great example. Every 1st party Switch game released in 2017 sold over 1 million copies. The only 1st party 3DS game to sell over 1 million copies was Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon. The system is on its way out and there are really only two Nintendo titles coming for it in 2019, both made by other companies.

With Nintendo picking the DLC, you can put Joker in the never-ever camp. Persona 5 isn't on the Switch and it looks like it wont happen as far as we know. (See) If Nintendo is going to add any third-party character, it's going to be from a title thats on the Switch. Even then, it may not happen. Sakurai sees Smash as "Celebrating Gaming History" but Nintendo doesn't. They have stated to investors they see Smash as promoting their own IPs. So any third party characters happening is less likely than people think, and even then it might just be one. I don't think Nintendo would consider anything Persona related, especially not the main character of a game that is exclusive to their competitors platform.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Nintendo says they want to support the 3DS but in reality they know it's dying. Great example. Every 1st party Switch game released in 2017 sold over 1 million copies. The only 1st party 3DS game to sell over 1 million copies was Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon. The system is on its way out and there are really only two Nintendo titles coming for it in 2019, both made by other companies.

With Nintendo picking the DLC, you can put Joker in the never-ever camp. Persona 5 isn't on the Switch and it looks like it wont happen as far as we know. (See) If Nintendo is going to add any third-party character, it's going to be from a title thats on the Switch. Even then, it may not happen. Sakurai sees Smash as "Celebrating Gaming History" but Nintendo doesn't. They have stated to investors they see Smash as promoting their own IPs. So any third party characters happening is less likely than people think, and even then it might just be one. I don't think Nintendo would consider anything Persona related, especially not the main character of a game that is exclusive to their competitors platform.
That article is outdated, since it says Yakuza 0 will never leave Playstation. It's junk, toss it out.
I was suggested to this thread by Sigran101 Sigran101 Because I do enjoy Persona 5 quite a bit.

So please tell, why Joker? Has there been anything in his favor to suggest so? Aside from Persona Q 2 and Tsubasa from Tokyo Mirage being a Spirit.

Not necessarily. All we have are Sakurai being a fan of P5, to the point Ultimate's UI heavily takes inspiration from P5, and him being really the only realistic option for an Atlus rep.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

Not leak related stuff, but he is starring in the only big release on the 3ds next year, a system which Nintendo still claims to support. There is also talk of a P5 special edition like p4 Golden on the switch, which, if true, would boost his chances greatly. Just the fact that he's starting in an upcoming Nintendo exclusive gives him an edge over characters like doomguy or monster Hunter because they have a reason to directly advertise him. Plus being from a series most Nintendo fans haven't played is all the more opportunity for extra sales due to smash. If Nintendo suggests him to Sakurai for these reasons, he'll probably say yes because he's personally a fan of the series and designed the UI in smash with inspiration from P5. Between that and him being the flagship character of one of the very few companies allowed to develop a game using Nintendo IPs, and that being a crossover with his series, puts him at least in the running and not a pipe dream like many assume.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
That article is outdated, since it says Yakuza 0 will never leave Playstation. It's junk, toss it out.
You can go look it up yourself but Persona 5 is still a PS4 exclusive. That hasn't changed. So my point still stands.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Honestly I just support Joker as a pipe dream, similar to 2B, because Persona 5 is one of the best games I've ever played.

The fact that because of Persona Q2 it's now even remotely possible is hilarious to me.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

I'm probably the most optimistic about his chances here, and I don't think he's super likely. But I think he is definitely in the running. See my post just above as to why.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
You can go look it up yourself but Persona 5 is still a PS4 exclusive. That hasn't changed. So my point still stands.
Well, by techinicallity, it isn't even PS4 exclusive right since we have the PS3 version.

And besides, once we get the updated rerelease, this **** is gonna be Atlus's Skyrim or RE4.

Also the fact P5 intially had a 360 version planned before Catherine and 4 Arena bombed shouldn't be forgotten

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
You say he's exclusive to PS4 but he's starring in a Nintendo exclusive title next year. It's not a main series title, but you can bet Joker in smash would drum up sales for it.

Edit: I know you mean P5 is exclusive here. I quoted the wrong post. I meant the earlier one where you specifically said Joker.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
You say he's exclusive to PS4 but he's starring in a Nintendo exclusive title next year. It's not a main series title, but you can bet Joker in smash would drum up sales for it.

Edit: I know you mean P5 is exclusive here. I quoted the wrong post. I meant the earlier one where you specifically said Joker.
I don't think Nintendo would have a Smash DLC character to promote a 3DS game thats a spin-off anyway. Joker's main game is still exclusive to Sony so Nintendo isn't going to be keen on promoting Persona. I think the idea of Nintendo promoting third party games through DLC is a bit unfounded. Regardless, even if you go that route, Joker would be low on that list.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I don't think Nintendo would have a Smash DLC character to promote a 3DS game thats a spin-off anyway. Joker's main game is still exclusive to Sony so Nintendo isn't going to be keen on promoting Persona. I think the idea of Nintendo promoting third party games through DLC is a bit unfounded. Regardless, even if you go that route, Joker would be low on that list.
bro it's a ridiculous hypothetical you don't gotta be a wet blanket do you really think anyone in this thread thinks joker in smash is in any way likely

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I think the final smash would be Yusuke, Makoto, and Morgana, with Futaba appearing to say the "It's time for an all out attack!" line. My pipe dream is that a codex/guidance thing would be added with the phantom thieves discussing the opponent, but I'm not delusional enough to think that will actually happen. As for spirits, I think we'll at least get all the phantom thieves including Akechi. Maybe one for Arsene specifically, and possibly Sojiro.
That is also my pipe dream, but I agree it will not happen. I guess the spirits would depend on if they wanted to add a balance of ATLUS spirits or just go all-in on Persona ones... Or both, of course.

Sorry, I didn't mean to start a full Geno debate. I just don't think we should start writing people off (especially popular characters) based on inductive fan-theories... We'll see what happens.

I'm assuming so. But it's just a little strange to me since in my book they count as persona characters more than anything.
Yeah, Nintendo owns the TMS#FE IP - or at least most of it. I imagine they couldn't use, like, the Anna with the Black Frost mask without ATLUS' permission, but they officially own the series themselves.

Oh, yeah, it is definitely insanely unlikely. I mean, ATLUS has supported Nintendo a craptonne with their games, but their most successful titles (Nocturne and all of the Persona games) are PlayStation exclusive. Not to mention that ATLUS is now owned by SEGA, who already have Sonic and Bayonetta as representatives. So, even if Nintendo decided there was some benefit to showing off their corporate friendship with SEGA, then Joker would have to go up against the likes of Tails and Arle - and, if Nintendo decided there was some benefit to showing off their corporate friendship with ATLUS in particlar, then Joker would still have to go up against the likes of Jack Frost (ATLUS' mascot character) and the much-more-advertisable protaginist of the upcoming Nintendo-Switch-exclusive JRPG Shin Megami Tensei V.

That said, its a fun hypothetical to discuss? I'm probably on the more pessmistic side of the regulars here, but I still enjoy discussing it even if I recognize that it isn't probable.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
That is also my pipe dream, but I agree it will not happen. I guess the spirits would depend on if they wanted to add a balance of ATLUS spirits or just go all-in on Persona ones... Or both, of course.

Sorry, I didn't mean to start a full Geno debate. I just don't think we should start writing people off (especially popular characters) based on inductive fan-theories... We'll see what happens.

Yeah, Nintendo owns the TMS#FE IP - or at least most of it. I imagine they couldn't use, like, the Anna with the Black Frost mask without ATLUS' permission, but they officially own the series themselves.

Oh, yeah, it is definitely insanely unlikely. I mean, ATLUS has supported Nintendo a craptonne with their games, but their most successful titles (Nocturne and all of the Persona games) are PlayStation exclusive. Not to mention that ATLUS is now owned by SEGA, who already have Sonic and Bayonetta as representatives. So, even if Nintendo decided there was some benefit to showing off their corporate friendship with SEGA, then Joker would have to go up against the likes of Tails and Arle - and, if Nintendo decided there was some benefit to showing off their corporate friendship with ATLUS in particlar, then Joker would still have to go up against the likes of Jack Frost (ATLUS' mascot character) and the much-more-advertisable protaginist of the upcoming Nintendo-Switch-exclusive JRPG Shin Megami Tensei V.

That said, its a fun hypothetical to discuss? I'm probably on the more pessmistic side of the regulars here, but I still enjoy discussing it even if I recognize that it isn't probable.
To be fair, Tails is deconfirmed thanks to spirits, and Arle is too obscure.

amageish

Smash Master
To be fair, Tails is deconfirmed thanks to spirits, and Arle is too obscure.
I've already said my opinion on spirits and de-confirmations (I simply really doubt Nintendo would deconfirm 1000 characters in the base game). Arle is personally obscure worldwide, but her home series is still SEGA's second-best-selling-IP. That said, I don't expect her either.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
The point is more that he would be impossible if not for persona Q2. His chances are realistically mostly based on if the supposed Persona 5 Golden is coming to Switch, which is a distinct possibility given that the improved versions have always been on handhelds and Sony no longer supports the PSVita. Plus he's got Sakurai bias on his side. He's certainly not super likely, though he is in a somewhat unique situation compared to other 3rd parties because his game is the only thing coming to 3ds next year, whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. All I'm trying to say is that he's in the running. BTW he's only listed in my predictions because it makes me happy to see him there. I'm not actually expecting him.

Treked

Smash Cadet
NNID
3DS FC
4296-3633-4104
Switch FC
SW-3184-5921-0328
If Persona had a series logo, I would think it would be the butterfly, Philemon, as he's technically appeared in every game in the series

(although there's debate if the butterfly in the beginning is either Philemon or P5 SPOILER).

Dunno if anyone else here noticed it earlier but this butterfly has bothered me since the mural was shown.

amageish

Smash Master
Dunno if anyone else here noticed it earlier but this butterfly has bothered me since the mural was shown.

For some reason, all media I like has deeply-symbolic blue butterflies in it... Persona, Steins;Gate, Life is Strange, etc... That said, that is just a random Emperor Butterfly from Animal Crossing.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
There's the survey from earlier this year pointing towards P6 at the very least going to the Switch.
Oh? How so? As in the survey results are did it state something itself that suggests such? if true, that would definitely garner hopes of Persona Switch ports and by extension, validation for Joker to join Smash!

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
I support Joker, I actually love Persona. Question, how would you all feel if Yu Narukami or Minato/Makoto Yuki made it in? (That's P4 and P3 if you didn't know) I always thought if they put a Persona character in Smash, it would be Minato/Makoto. They could even use the P3P female version as an alt. costume. Joker would be cool too though. I guess I just always imagined him and the others as Sony, where Megami Tensei was Nintendo. Either way, here's hoping

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I support Joker, I actually love Persona. Question, how would you all feel if Yu Narukami or Minato/Makoto Yuki made it in? (That's P4 and P3 if you didn't know) I always thought if they put a Persona character in Smash, it would be Minato/Makoto. They could even use the P3P female version as an alt. costume. Joker would be cool to though. I guess I just always imagined him and the others as Sony, where Megami Tensei was Nintendo. Either way, here's hoping
P3P heroine is my favorite protagonist in the whole series so if she got in I'd be over the moon.

Yu makes sense and I'd like it, because 4 is a great game, but 5 is my fav Persona and Joker just seems so fresh and Smash-ready that he's my main horse I back.

If it was just the P3 male hero I would be disappointed. I love P3 but to me the female hero and additions Portable made made it the perfect version (outside of a certain thing that happens when you max a certain Moon link but that never happened to me so oh well).

Outside pick that would be cool would be Aigis though.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I support Joker, I actually love Persona. Question, how would you all feel if Yu Narukami or Minato/Makoto Yuki made it in? (That's P4 and P3 if you didn't know) I always thought if they put a Persona character in Smash, it would be Minato/Makoto. They could even use the P3P female version as an alt. costume. Joker would be cool too though. I guess I just always imagined him and the others as Sony, where Megami Tensei was Nintendo. Either way, here's hoping
I would honestly be disappointed. I played 3 and 4 before 5, but Joker is by far the coolest persona protagonist and fits much better in smash than the others. Plus I just love how stylish P5 is. It has my favorite music in the series too.

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
I would honestly be disappointed. I played 3 and 4 before 5, but Joker is by far the coolest persona protagonist and fits much better in smash than the others. Plus I just love how stylish P5 is. It has my favorite music in the series too.
That's fair enough. I think they'd all be cool, but maybe it's just me lol

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Oh? How so? As in the survey results are did it state something itself that suggests such? if true, that would definitely garner hopes of Persona Switch ports and by extension, validation for Joker to join Smash!
Survey had a question about Persona on Switch. They hinted at Q2 and the Dancing games this same way

Eh, I'd take it

amageish

Smash Master
What Robertman2 said, but, as the resident thread pessimist, I feel obligated to point out that they also asked about a Persona FPS and a Persona RTS. So, its definitely on the table, but it isn't guaranteed to happen as we don't know what the results were.

I mean, I'll be happy with however MegaTen gets in, frankly.

Minato is my favourite protagonist as well (I like the comedic switch from a stoic protagonist to a sassy one), so I'd be very happy with her - especially as she'd be a spear-user, which would be really good for the roster. As Makoto can also use a spear in FES, this wouldn't even require making her the default/only option.

Yu would be the least exciting of the Persona protagonists to me, but I'd be happy with him if he was chosen. He just feels like he has gotten around a lot more, while Joker is new and Makoto/Minato are comparatively-underlooked.

Joker would be fantastic by the power of aesthetic alone. I feel like Persona 5 may also, in a sense, deserve it to the most, as while the other games are huge, P5 is the one that broke into the mainstream outside of Japan. He also looks cool, which may incentivize more casual players to buy him as DLC.

My "least favourite" option overall though is definitely Jack Frost. I'd still be happy, but I'd rather have a player character there to summon the Jack Frost, not just a single demon.

Top Bottom