• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Johns

• Thread starter Deleted member 189823
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 189823

Hey guys, I would like to see on what you think about Johns. Is it alright to John when the reason is actually valid? I do it all the time, because, honestly, I can't stand losing in a bad way just because I was making stupid decisions, accidentally pressed the wrong button/s, got nervous or wasn't concentrated enough and tanked charged smashes to the face. It happens to me alot, and I do it to prove to others that I'm not as bad as I've played at that moment. :urg:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Well, it's the lack of validity that makes it "not okay" in the first place for most people.

That changes the question to, "What do you consider a valid/legit excuse?"

Personally, I think it's stupid and pointless to make an excuse for most competition. Nobody cares why you messed up, and nobody cares how believable it is. In the end, the important thing is whether you win or lose.

People don't save face when they make up excuses for what happened. It makes a person look like he's trying too hard to look cool/good in front of his peers. It undermines the opponent's success. It makes you look like you have no real intention of learning from it or preventing that mistake in the future. It denies the spirit of competition in favor of a popularity contest.

Just play the game. If you aren't going to let it happen again, prove it by not making that mistake in the future. If you are, and just plan on using it as an excuse to play badly, keep it to yourself, because nobody else cares.

D

Deleted member 189823

Yeah, you're right. I am trying too hard to look like a good player. Friends do care, like in my case. I just don't want to be looked as "that scrub that got 2-stocked". I try to keep a good image.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
When you get sacrifice your image for recognizing your mistakes and trying to better them, you'll become a far stronger player.

D

Deleted member 189823

But I do recognize my mistakes. I curse my mistakes for making me lose. I don't blame others, just myself. :/

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
The only way to prevent yourself from looking like "that scrub that got two-stocked" is by not getting two-stocked. No amount of telling people, "This is why I messed up" will change their minds (if they actually think that of you in the first place).

If what you're upset at yourself for is actually what caused you to get two-stocked, learn from it and apply that knowledge in the matches to come, and the problem solves itself. If you apply that and you're still getting two-stocked, then it was never a catch-all excuse in the first place, and it only makes you look worse.

You have to understand that head-to-head competition is never as simple as "If I fix this problem, the endgame results will definitely be better." As you have the ability to adapt, so do your opponents. Don't get upset because of a couple of specific mistakes that seemingly cost you a match. Chances are, there are lots of things we all can do to improve, and when you keep looking for them, you keep getting better. That's where real consistency comes from.

D

Deleted member 189823

Thank you. (:
I'll just have to actually get better instead of getting upset over my mistakes.

zmx

Smash Lord
Yeah, you're right. I am trying too hard to look like a good player. Friends do care, like in my case. I just don't want to be looked as "that scrub that got 2-stocked". I try to keep a good image.
You do realize that top players get 2-stocked all the time right? Some matchups just tend to work out that way, it's either a 2 stock one way or the other. Name any top player and someone will be able to find a video of them getting 2 stocked if not 3 stocked at least once.

Also lol @ image. For a video game. You have to remember no one really cares except yourself which means you shouldn't either. If you focus all your energy on trying to not look bad, you're going to be too tense and end up losing even more because of dumb stuff. Staying relaxed is a must.

Lastly, "good" is just relative. 99% of competitive players are bad compared to the top 1%. There are players out there that could likely 2/3 stock all your friends consistently.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
You do realize that top players get 2-stocked all the time right? Some matchups just tend to work out that way, it's either a 2 stock one way or the other. Name any top player and someone will be able to find a video of them getting 2 stocked if not 3 stocked at least once.

Also lol @ image. For a video game. You have to remember no one really cares except yourself which means you shouldn't either. If you focus all your energy on trying to not look bad, you're going to be too tense and end up losing even more because of dumb stuff. Staying relaxed is a must.

Lastly, "good" is just relative. 99% of competitive players are bad compared to the top 1%. There are players out there that could likely 2/3 stock all your friends consistently.
People can put priority on whatever they want, though. This is a community, just like any other. I maintain a pretty good image (for the most part) that I try to keep up, though I do that by being helpful to others, being a sociable, likable person, and by continuing to become a better player. I care about my community (especially AL/GA, but, the Smash community in general) a whole lot; it is a significant part of my life, and I think it makes sense to care about it as a result.

The important part is not to get too caught up in your mistakes, and not to take them too seriously. No one's perfect, and you should be glad you've made it as far as you have, as well as glad you still know how you can improve. Many people lose interest in improving, either by seeing too much to improve on and lacking motivation, or by not keeping an eye out for ways to improve. Making dumb mistakes in matches is always something you can fix quickly; getting a reputation for making excuses is harder to change.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
My advice is to not tie your self image/sense of self worth to your skill as a player. Half of your tournaments will make you feel miserable if you think like that. Instead, focus on improving and keeping a friendly attitude, and take pride in that. Not only does johning make you feel bad about the match, but it's inconsiderate to your opponent to discredit their win.

zmx

Smash Lord
People can put priority on whatever they want, though. This is a community, just like any other. I maintain a pretty good image (for the most part) that I try to keep up, though I do that by being helpful to others, being a sociable, likable person, and by continuing to become a better player. I care about my community (especially AL/GA, but, the Smash community in general) a whole lot; it is a significant part of my life, and I think it makes sense to care about it as a result.

The important part is not to get too caught up in your mistakes, and not to take them too seriously. No one's perfect, and you should be glad you've made it as far as you have, as well as glad you still know how you can improve. Many people lose interest in improving, either by seeing too much to improve on and lacking motivation, or by not keeping an eye out for ways to improve. Making dumb mistakes in matches is always something you can fix quickly; getting a reputation for making excuses is harder to change.
That's a different type of image you are referring to. You are talking about yourself as a person and your attitude to which I agree. I don't think that's dependent on your tourny results. There are plenty of nice top/bottom players and vice versa.

I'm fairly certain TC was referring to solely on how much he wins/loses against his friends and what they think of him for it. Almost to the point where they think less of him as a person because of a video game to which I do not agree with.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
You should only worry about your image when you can see people dislike you.

Johns actually lower the image I have of people. I prefer the honesty of the matter, not saying "Omg I didn't want to fsmash" because to me a mistake like that shouldn't be happening, and if you did it and didn't want to, that's fine, but I probably made equally bad mistakes as well, I just didn't complain about it.

Don't complain, instead get better.

soraxkairi7

Smash Rookie
Learn from your mistakes. You don't have to get mad at them :D

Just stay positive and keep trying. Regardless, you're going to mess up and it's going to be your fault. But you can handle it in a much better way. Just break down what you're doing wrong and find ways to fix them. :)

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Or do what my brawl scene does and yell "Oh my god that is so much s***" and throw your controller down hard enough to break it in half. That always works :awesome:

But record replays and watch what you do wrong, but then find out what you should have done instead.

Top Bottom