• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jiggs Dies When Her Shield Breaks?

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Someone please test this to confirm whether it's just me or not.
Letting my shield break sends me flying straight upward to my death.
I've actually lost online matches because this happens, and it works offline too in training and Smash.

Granted, if my shield broke in a match I would probably lose a stock anyway, but salt is happening and I demand patch D:<

Last edited:

BBC7

Smash Ace
I've actually lost online matches because this happens, and it works offline too in training and Smash.

Granted, if my shield broke in a match I would probably lose a stock anyway, but salt is happening and I demand patch >:(
That would explain how I killed my friend's Jigglypuff at 10% while using Bowser's Down B on his shield.

TPM_23

Smash Cadet
This has happened to Jigglypuff since Smash 64, so I highly doubt it'll be patched, since it's intentional.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
This has always happened? I don't play Jiggs except in Smash 4 so I didn't know. Why is this.

TPM_23

Smash Cadet
This has always happened? I don't play Jiggs except in Smash 4 so I didn't know. Why is this.
Probably because in Smash 64 Jiggs was the joke character compared to the other 11, so the devs put in the shield-break death as an inside joke. Since then, it's just stuck. All I can tell you is to use your shield more wisely to prevent it.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Reserving my shield is really rough in Bowser matchups. But this is my first time playing Jiggs, maybe I'll learn along the way.

BBC7

Smash Ace
Probably because in Smash 64 Jiggs was the joke character compared to the other 11, so the devs put in the shield-break death as an inside joke. Since then, it's just stuck. All I can tell you is to use your shield more wisely to prevent it.
Jiggly was the best joke character in Melee. The joke was that she's actually good this time around and got a little too PO'd about how she was in Smash 64. She decided to go on a tourney winning rampage which caused Sakurai to nerf Jigglypuff in Brawl. She was destined to bottom-tier where she would fall to the like of Ganon, Link, and Zelda. It wasn't as great as it sounded, and they didn't let her become a part of the Tetraforce/Quadforce. Fans were begging Sakurai to buff the puff, and that's just what happened. She still doesn't know how to use a shield though. God damn it, Jigglypuff.

platomaker

Smash Journeyman
plus she prefers the air. You shouldn't be on the ground TO use the shield in the first place.

TPM_23

Smash Cadet
I only have so many jumps, man.
No matter who you're playing against, you're gonna want to be in the air almost all the time as Jiggs. Her movement, speed of attacks, and overall power are superior in the air compared to on the ground. In particular, short hops into opponents with a nair or fair are effective and easily chainable.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
No matter who you're playing against, you're gonna want to be in the air almost all the time as Jiggs. Her movement, speed of attacks, and overall power are superior in the air compared to on the ground. In particular, short hops into opponents with a nair or fair are effective and easily chainable.
Pound, when used in air, functions similar to a "half jump". Conserve your air time, shield time, and ultimately, your lifetime.
I'm aware of the basic Jiggs meta and I know how to rising pound (though it sucks in this game), I'm only saying that there are times when I need to land. The only character to break my shield so far is Bowser because omfg that's a strong turtle.

SyncNatsyu

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3007-8406-9326
I'm aware of the basic Jiggs meta and I know how to rising pound (though it sucks in this game), I'm only saying that there are times when I need to land. The only character to break my shield so far is Bowser because omfg that's a strong turtle.
Um we spend most of our time grounded, our best options are available then. no matter how good our air attacks are we dont have the best vertical movement. OoS, crouch, SH, and spotdodge are our best options in neutral. In the air we lose each of those(not saying we can't do anything but its not in our best interest)

Edit: http://smashboards.com/threads/jigglypuff-competitive-and-metagame-discussion.368572/page-2

Last edited:

Rayopuff

Smash Apprentice
If Bowser breaks your shield, you might have to really watch out against a Marth or Lucina

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Um we spend most of our time grounded, our best options are available then. no matter how good our air attacks are we dont have the best vertical movement. OoS, crouch, SH, and spotdodge are our best options in neutral. In the air we lose each of those(not saying we can't do anything but its not in our best interest)

Edit: http://smashboards.com/threads/jigglypuff-competitive-and-metagame-discussion.368572/page-2
I do all of those except spotdodge. Maybe that's why my shield breaks...

Doroco

Smash Cadet
Step 1. Check if your shield is low enough that someone could probably break it
if yes take to the skys, if you want your shield again just be a bit defensive for a while, or you can try to hit em
if yes alternatively roll away
if no stop panicing nerd

Droogaon

Smash Rookie
I laugh when my shield breaks because that never happens to me, so I don't laugh. The only time I'm on the ground is after a rest.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
It's only Bowser because I always underestimate his shield breaking prowess. Just something I need to take note of.

Droogaon

Smash Rookie
I was having a match with a bowser and his forward smash kills VERY early.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582

Most of that discussion you linked is about custom move sets. I partially agree with what Jigglymaster is saying but jigglys best options are always air based imo.

SyncNatsyu

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3007-8406-9326
Most of that discussion you linked is about custom move sets. I partially agree with what Jigglymaster is saying but jigglys best options are always air based imo.
Oh yeah I know her best moves are air based I'm simply saying that staying in the air fishing for them isn't as strong as its made out to be. Despite appearances being grounded first gives us the best chances of getting a good hit in, where we can follow-up. ooS, SH, spotdodge

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
This has been a thing since 64 but...

In this game it's SUPER dangerous to shield against certain character just because of the possibility of breaking shield, I don't like to use shield against Bowser, Marth/Lucina, or DK (I play him sparingly and know that his side B destroys shield immediately), it's just not worth it, instead you have to keep them afar but still get many hits with your aerials, get hit by the shield breaker (this is much better than dying by shield KO because at least you can vector the hit) or hope that you can perfect shield the hit (not recommended).

Yes it's supposed to happen as Jigglypuff is the Balloon pokemon and what happens when a balloon pops....

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622

Granted, if my shield broke in a match I would probably lose a stock anyway, but salt is happening and I demand patch D:<

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Sorry this is just such ancient news. xD

We've known this since 1999.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Yeah it's been this way since 64 lol. Makes it effecient for spectating at tourneys now tho

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Sorry for never getting my shield broken between 1999 and 2013, guys.

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
Yeah it's always been this way. However, shields deteriorate and break MUCH quicker in this game than the previous ones, which really makes you think about how to use your shield. Get up attacks for example do a ton of shield damage for some odd reason. You also want to watch out for bowser and yoshi's down b as those pop your shields almost instantly if you consumed even a little of your shield prior.

Top Bottom