• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jesus: Mere Messiah?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GofG

Smash Champion
The Hero, Jesus ("Yeishu" to his friends), was a good guy. He realized that HE was in control of his body and his mind, and that ultimately he was the 'thing' that decided what actions to take, so why would he ever sometimes let his desires or urges decide what actions to take instead? And he actually carried through with it, living a life without sin, doing exactly what he thought was right and nothing else ever (as far as we know).

He preached this way of life, as well, and told as many as he could to follow in his footsteps; they were the masters of their self, and while desire for sin is very real, allowing it to control what actions you actually take is very foolish indeed, if there is any other option at all.

This man was a Hero, for sure. He practiced what he believed, challenged those who told him he was wrong to convince him it was so, and ended up dying for the cause he had so fervently believed in, which was to be a good person in every facet of your existence; to not let anything else move you to action except your own beliefs about what it is right to do. He DIED for it, knowing that a Martyr would be all the more remembered, and that perhaps he might with his death bring some of the evils in the world into focus, so that people might decide to take actions which led to a minimization of such evil.

But not four hundred years after his death, the words about him began to change. If you have a spiritual leader you're trying to convince people to follow, and there's no way for them to actually look at the Hero to see him for themselves, you can say whatever you want. And are people not more likely to follow someone who can use his power to walk on water, than someone who merely had a realization (however significant) about will power?

And so Yeishu as he is known today could not only walk on water, but perform all sorts of incredible feats of power. Are your people hungry? Xerox some bread. Demons in the trees? Cast them out. Is it more difficult to be a perfect person when you have such powers? Is Superman, who is immune to bullets, a more virtuous person for having risked getting shot to save a kindergarten full of children, than a police officer, not immune to bullets, risking getting shot to save three prostitutes from a criminal? I think it reveals more virtue to risk your own life for three prostitutes, than to not risk your own life for 300 children. (Obviously, though, if you have to choose, save the 300 children, for your goal should not be to appear virtuous, but to *be* virtuous.)

And just as Yeishu's impeccable virtue was revealed to the world by his death for the cause of being a better person, and only that cause... Well, what did his martyrdom get morphed into later on? What was at stake, when he chose to go to the Cross? No longer was this terrible fate accepted in exchange for changing some people's minds about how to behave. No. It was the infinite fate of every human who ever lived. That's what was at stake. In such a position, it definitely shows virtue to sacrifice yourself, but in this particular circumstance, the line between Right and Wrong is 50 feet tall and drawn in white fire. It is not hard to do the right thing when it is so clear as to be blindingly obvious; in most circumstances, the problem of distinguishing between two good paths, or two bad paths, is much harder, and harder yet is admitting to yourself that you might have chosen wrongly.

And so now Yeishu's teachings, of trying to be perfect in your actions, of being the King of your mind and your soul and deciding to do the right thing in every circumstance regardless of how much willpower it takes, has been distorted beyond measure. Yeishu, rather than being an example of what a Human should strive to be, becomes a symbol of Divinity, something Humans can never achieve (for we are all born in Sin). This is much more than bumping him up to Superman's level: basically Yeishu is the equivalent of any possible good thing you could say about him; in fact, he is defined as this all-possible-good-things idea. It is impossible to live up to what Yeishu was (and wanted others to be), so we shouldn't even bother. The best we can do is to report every bad thing we do to an Authority, so that he can make it not matter that we did the bad thing.

That's how I believe, as an atheist, the church corrupted the nature and teachings of a very wise man, degrading Jesus Christ of Nazareth from a True Hero, worthy of great praise and reverence, into a mere messiah.

But I'm interested in what Christians have to say.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
What a Christian would have to say doesn't exactly rebut or refute what you've said, so I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish with this discussion. Firstly I'd suggest reformatting the OP so that it's more debate hall styled, with a thesis, sources, etc. If you're just looking to discuss your personal insights on religion, that's fine, but definitely state that, instead of laying out your idea as fact and then challenging Christians to refute it, because in actuality you and Christians would agree on quite a bit of what you've said, though technically it's wrong in some parts.

For instance, Jesus didn't start his campaign of preaching and spreading the Word until his early 30's, just a short 2 years before his death. In that time, the Hebrews decided that he was yet another "problem" and marked him for death, like John the Baptist before him. You have to remember, the Jews were occupied by Rome, and so to keep the peace and Rome from enslaving everyone, the leaders of the Hebrew Temple decided that Jesus was -not- the messiah whose coming was foretold. They therefore decided that it was bad that he was going around with followers talking about what God had for breakfast. EVEN still, when he was brought to the Romans for execution, it was decided that Rome would not execute the man, because he really hadn't done anything wrong (except perhaps the whole amassing followers thing, but Rome didn't care, they could crush any rebellion easily, it was the Hebrews that were paranoid). SO then they dragged Jesus to the Jewish King (Herod) and he was basically like "oh, so you're the Son of God? Do something son-of-god-like!" And of course Jesus didn't, and so they brought him -back- to the Romans for execution because now he was just a charlatan. Finally Pilate went through with it, but not before exclaiming that Jesus had passed up every opportunity to go free. And so Jesus died.

Christians believe his sacrifice is more spiritual in nature. In forensic terms it could be ruled as a suicide, but the religion - Christianity - is what happened after his followers "saw" Jesus had rose from the dead. The entire New Testament is in essence an accounting of Jesus' life from birth to preacher and then what resulted after his death. The call for Christians is to believe that Jesus really did rise from the dead after he was executed, and that he then ascended to heaven a few weeks later. It is also necessary for Christians to believe that Jesus didn't commit suicide, but instead gave his life up willingly for God.

About your 400 years comment, it's a bit oversimplified. For instance The Roman Constantine in 312 attributed his victory as the new Emperor to Christ (God), and renounced all the old gods. Many in his army were Christian. In fact you can see historically during the first 500 years after Jesus' death - the church does undergo several political changes, but ultimately the Word does stay on track to the original Peter, who was Jesus' personal friend and student.

GofG

Smash Champion
Eh, the exact details to me are irrelevant. I mostly wanted to present how I think history happened, not as a particular prediction of what I believe, but just to sort of show the range of how much playing telephone with an idea for 2000 years can distort it such that it doesn't mean the same thing at all anymore. There are a lot of possible ways Jesus's life could have gone down, and the evidence that we have isn't good enough to elevate any particular detailed account over a large number of probabilities.

And the specific retelling which became doctrine... I think that it makes Divinity and reverence of that Divinity more important than virtue, whether revealed through actions or as an attribute of a person. As long as we are elevating particular theories to the level of belief without the ability to distinguish them from others with evidence... what makes the standard version meaningful?

What about it causes Christians to have the powerful emotional response that they get from this narrative? What is it about this story which causes it to strike so directly at their heart? What is it about this story of unattainable divinity which inspires them to sometimes do great things? For there are few Atheist soup kitchens.

To me the story, if I were to believe it beyond the evidence, seems to me a message of mediocrity: humans cannot ever have the willpower to let nothing but their ethics move them to action, as opposed to the message I think it was clear he was trying to send, of be=deciding your own fate and controlling your own self in everything you do, never letting your desires or urges or instinct rule your actions even for a moment.

So what is it which makes Christians so drawn to this paradoxical interpretation? It is an honest open question?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
(I see, well I appreciate the discussion - anything at this point would be better than nothing - but in the future run this sort of idea by us in the social thread and once the easy 1-2 is knocked out it's no sweat to start a thread with proper structure and so forth.)

... Okay! So in the spirit of this I have no choice but to separate out some of your remarks and show how they apply to what you're saying as a whole, which in turn will show the flaw in your overall approach to this subject matter. What I'll not do is take anything you've said out of context.

Eh, the exact details to me are irrelevant.
Sir, or madam I care not to look it up, this is just not happening. The exact details from what few there are that at least some iota of consensus can be reached by academics and scholars is indeed the -only- important thing. Why? Because it establishes words such as "Jesus," and "God" in a way that allows the discourse surrounding those words to be discussed neutrally as in, well here.

I mostly wanted to present how I think history happened, not as a particular prediction of what I believe, but just to sort of show the range of how much playing telephone with an idea for 2000 years can distort it such that it doesn't mean the same thing at all anymore
Okay, but again history didn't happen the way you -think- it happened. It happened the way it happened and we are left to read about it. If you are to make an opinion on anything really, should you not first know what it is you're making an opinion on? And something so important as this... that millions have bled and died and been vanquished for... yeah?

And if you really believe that Jesus' original teaching that he never wrote down is as playing telephone for 2000 years, you've once again got to review history. It's nothing so dramatic. Yes it's changed. By design as you've no doubt read just now from the link provided.

There are a lot of possible ways Jesus's life could have gone down, and the evidence that we have isn't good enough to elevate any particular detailed account over a large number of probabilities.
Hm... there's only one way his life could have gone. The way it did. If you want to muse over what would happened if he'd never been the son of God, then, well, cool! But for purpose of discussion, there's no such animal. If you introduce that, you literally have to open the framework of discussion to anything and if that really is your game I'd rather we say nothing more on it.

And the specific retelling which became doctrine... I think that it makes Divinity and reverence of that Divinity more important than virtue, whether revealed through actions or as an attribute of a person.
I am beginning to see the issue you have but I'm not sure how to address it. Let me rephrase what you've said and see if that's closer to what you're trying to say.

Christianity's choice to pass on from generation to generation a specific version of events as its history causes its members to put greater importance on belief in God and love of God over "virtue."

Yeah?

So, firstly what does the word "virtue" mean to you? To me it's a noun. There are seven that the Catholics, the original Christians, try to live up to. Are you saying that these seven things are more important than loving God or believing God exists? I can actually agree with you there. I don't think it's absolutely necessary to believe in God or to love God in order to live a virtuous life, whatever that may mean for you. But if you want to skip Purgatory after you die, according to the Catholics, then you have to live the Catholic life.

That's all this discussion really ends up being in the end, you do realize. It comes down to whether or not you're superstitious. If you are young, you're usually strapped to your superstitious parents and dragged to Church every Sunday, and it's a meaningless 2 hours out of your cartoon morning.

Others, it's very different, almost cult-like in fashion.

As long as we are elevating particular theories to the level of belief without the ability to distinguish them from others with evidence... what makes the standard version meaningful?
Well, this is where things get tricky. You said it! Not me. That ugly word...

EVIDENCE.

There's none to be had, meaningfully. Not in a million years. We're peasants, see. We have either to believe or not believe. If you don't believe, suits you fine, you can still choose to live a meaningful and virtuous life, or you can be a savage, it's still a matter of personal choice (unless for some reason that's been stripped of you in which case I'd just take a bullet to the brain please and thank you).

What about it causes Christians to have the powerful emotional response that they get from this narrative? What is it about this story which causes it to strike so directly at their heart? What is it about this story of unattainable divinity which inspires them to sometimes do great things? For there are few Atheist soup kitchens.
Why is it called The Greatest Story Ever Told? Programming, really. You have to expect it. Here's why:

1.) Since way BC, like 10000+ BC there has been man, woman and shaman. Cave drawings depict this tri-thing. Interesting, no? The Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit? Another threesome. Anyway, point is, the role of healer/shaman is ancient and ingrained in us - it's almost as if every now and then one of us is born naturally able to heal - heal all kinds of things, the body, the mind, the spirit. "Exorcisms." Tumors. All kinds of seemingly impossible things, done by people who are just that darn good.

2.) Christianity is the longest and most wide spread living mythology to ever exist. Ever. 2000 plus years and going. What's left of it now, well... it's a simple choice of faith as I said. But if one really wants to study its origins it's not hard. And if one toils under the quandaries beset upon them by having to choose a church or having to save their son from a pedophile priest, or whatever it is... they will have a crisis of faith, and have to decide ultimately if God's worth worshiping or not.

To me the story, if I were to believe it beyond the evidence, seems to me a message of mediocrity: humans cannot ever have the willpower to let nothing but their ethics move them to action, as opposed to the message I think it was clear he was trying to send, of be=deciding your own fate and controlling your own self in everything you do, never letting your desires or urges or instinct rule your actions even for a moment.
Well your interpretation is contradictory, unfortunately. You can't decide your own fate. Fate, is a misnomer. Fate is a throw-word, something you toss in to make something else sound important. There is really only one message to be taken from Jesus and what ended up in our lifetimes as "The Church."

"Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." -John: 13-34

This isn't just a Bible quote. It is the only commandment given us by Christ. It's been thought as to supersede all others, but that's a matter of course. The point is, to love one another. SO if you come away from the Bible and its teachings and Christianity and stuff and learn this, then you're okay. You've accomplished something. If not, then you're still mired in the oblivion of anger at what faults man have made, not Christ.

So what is it which makes Christians so drawn to this paradoxical interpretation? It is an honest open question?
Well, again the paradox is in your own perception of what Christianity is. Once you've read up a bit on the subject matter as I've hopefully illustrated to be important, then you'll come to realize the only paradox is why people don't just get along.

But that's something that'll never happen. Why? Cause sometimes you just don't like how the person next to you smells.

GofG

Smash Champion
Alright... You seemed to have misinterpreted what I said, or misunderstood the meaning of "evidence".

... Okay! So in the spirit of this I have no choice but to separate out some of your remarks and show how they apply to what you're saying as a whole, which in turn will show the flaw in your overall approach to this subject matter. What I'll not do is take anything you've said out of context.

Sir, or madam I care not to look it up, this is just not happening. The exact details from what few there are that at least some iota of consensus can be reached by academics and scholars is indeed the -only- important thing. Why? Because it establishes words such as "Jesus," and "God" in a way that allows the discourse surrounding those words to be discussed neutrally as in, well here.
My brain can't quite parse the second sentence in the second paragraph, but it seems to me that you are saying the facts are important because they are the only way to come to a consensus about Jesus's life. I'm not saying that they aren't; I'm saying that the only evidence we have about Jesus's life points to a set of possible ways Jesus's life could have gone. One of those possible-jesus-lives is the official story, but among the other possible-jesus-lives are the story I painted in the OP, along with millions of other possibilities.

If we start with absolutely no evidence, then the theories, "Jesus was the Son of God and lived a sinless life because of his Divinity" and "Jesus was the first organism created entirely out of diamonds" are indistinguishable from each other, or from the rest of the possible-jesus-lives (of which there are infinity). As we acquire more evidence, we can eliminate some of these possible-jesus-lives as being unsupported by the evidence (like all of the lives where Jesus was made of diamonds, or cheese, or where he went to the moon, or where he went to China, etc).

Okay, but again history didn't happen the way you -think- it happened. It happened the way it happened and we are left to read about it. If you are to make an opinion on anything really, should you not first know what it is you're making an opinion on? And something so important as this... that millions have bled and died and been vanquished for... yeah?

And if you really believe that Jesus' original teaching that he never wrote down is as playing telephone for 2000 years, you've once again got to review history. It's nothing so dramatic. Yes it's changed. By design as you've no doubt read just now from the link provided.
I am not saying that there is no evidence, so we can believe whatever we want. I am saying that the evidence we have does not eliminate ALL BUT ONE of the possibilities. When we make models of the universe in hour head, when we make estimations about how-we-think-the-universe-is, uncertainty is represented as being probabilistic, with probability mass spread over all of the possibilities in proportion to how well the evidence supports those possibilities.

While the New Testament does in fact act as evidence against perhaps 99% of the infinity of possible-jesus-lives, this still leaves a wide variety of ways his life could have gone, and (unlike in the American court system, apparently) while we know that exactly one of the possibilities is the true possibility, we have no way of distinguishing which one that is from all of the other possibilities which are equally supported by the evidence.

Hm... there's only one way his life could have gone. The way it did. If you want to muse over what would happened if he'd never been the son of God, then, well, cool! But for purpose of discussion, there's no such animal. If you introduce that, you literally have to open the framework of discussion to anything and if that really is your game I'd rather we say nothing more on it.
Obviously, as a matter of plain and simple fact, Jesus led one life, but our uncertainty about which life he led forces us to admit that there are many facts which we could have gotten wrong, and many blank spaces where we don't know the facts. Even if all of the facts of the Mainstream Christian Story are 100% true, it does not specify the date of, for instance, the Sermon on the Mount, and so we do not know the exact date which he gave it. This uncertainty is represented in our models of the universe in the following way: if we have no evidence which could distinguish any day from any other possible day, then we give each day a 1/365 chance of having been the day of his sermon on the mount (about .29%). If we get some weak evidence that it happened in March, then perhaps in our new theory each of the days in March goes up to 1/40 (about 2.5%) and all of the rest of the days in the year get the remaining 22.5% split between all 334 of them. And this doesn't even include theories by where Jesus never gave the Sermon on the Mount.

When you look at it this way, nearly every fact in Jesus's life is surrounded with uncertainty. You said that "there's only one way his life could have gone. The way it did.", and I do not disagree with you here, because uncertainty exists in the mind, not reality. The map can be uncertain, but the territory it describes is always certain. However, this does not mean that we can elevate a certain hypothesis up to the level of 'belief' without the required evidence. Mainstream Christians believe in the Mainstream Story, even though it cannot be distinguished, using the evidence, from countless other theories, some in which Jesus's day of birth might have been a day earlier, some in which he wasn't even the son of God.

But none of this even matters, since Christians did not come about their beliefs by starting with axiomatic priors which fit with our understanding of physics, and then properly using Bayesian probability theory to update their beliefs exactly in accordance with evidence. They came about their beliefs because the narrative was passed along to them by an authority figure, whether their parents or the church, as truth. And since, to a human, a narrative sounds more plausible the more individual details it has (even though the more details a narrative has, the less likely it is to be true), the Mainstream Story acquired a whole lot of details over the past 2000 years, and it is now stuck with those details even though a vast majority of them could be changed without altering the probability of the story being true, without altering its fit to the evidence. Which brings us to the point of the thread:

Christianity's choice to pass on from generation to generation a specific version of events as its history causes its members to put greater importance on belief in God and love of God over "virtue."
I think it does a little more than that. I think the particular theory which the Church elevated out of the pool of possible-jesus-lives is close to the worst one they could have chosen, since in several ways it cheapens the achievement of Jesus. Compare two stories. They are identical in almost every way. In both Jesus is the Son of God and has the will power that goes along with being Divine. In one of the stories, Jesus goes to the Cross and dies in order to protect the infinite fate of every human who had ever existed or will ever exist. In the other, he goes to the Cross and dies in order to demonstrate to his posterity that he meant what he said, such that it might inspire more people to be like him. In my opinion, the first story is almost useless, since even a selfish, sinful person can see that the right thing to do is to die for the infinite fate of every human. The second narrative is a much more inspiring message and makes Jesus more worthy of reverence, and since we're picking which possible-jesus-life to elevate to belief based on something other than evidence anyway, why not go with it?

So, firstly what does the word "virtue" mean to you? To me it's a noun. There are seven that the Catholics, the original Christians, try to live up to. Are you saying that these seven things are more important than loving God or believing God exists? I can actually agree with you there. I don't think it's absolutely necessary to believe in God or to love God in order to live a virtuous life, whatever that may mean for you. But if you want to skip Purgatory after you die, according to the Catholics, then you have to live the Catholic life.

That's all this discussion really ends up being in the end, you do realize. It comes down to whether or not you're superstitious. If you are young, you're usually strapped to your superstitious parents and dragged to Church every Sunday, and it's a meaningless 2 hours out of your cartoon morning.

Others, it's very different, almost cult-like in fashion.
A person is virtuous if they take actions which maximize the fulfillment of their ethical values, regardless of the risk to themselves. For instance, pushing the fat man off of the bridge and onto the tracks to stop the trolley from hitting the five children further down the tracks is virtuous, to me, because I'm a consequentialist. But, if I were looking at a Virtuist (the ethical framework, not relevant to current discussion), and he didn't push the fat man off the bridge, I would say he was being virtuous because he was fulfilling his own ethical values to the best of his ability; he was doing what he thought was right (I would probably then yell at him for having the 'wrong' ethical values, but that's a different argument).

In the OP I talked about how a police officer who risks his life to save three prostitutes reveals more virtue than Superman not risking his life to save a kindergarten full of children. Why? Because the officer was willing to take on more risk for less fulfillment of his ethical values. This doesn't necessarily mean that the police officer is more virtuous than Superman; for that we would need to construct a situation for Superman with equivalent risk and benefit to him as the prostitute situation was with the police officer. At which point, it might be revealed that Superman is less virtuous than the police officer, if he were to refuse to act in our constructed situation.

Getting back to Jesus: the Mainstream Story is much like Superman not risking his life to save a kindergarten full of children, except even moreso. His choice, between not going to the Cross and damning every human to eternal torture, or going to the Cross and saving each hate from such an infinity of bad... The benefit:risk ratio is ridiculously high. It's almost as high as you could possibly invent in a story. What are the benefits? SAVE EVERY HUMAN'S INFINITE SOUL. What are the risks? none, as he knew he would be resurrected after three days. While the rest of the mainstream story reveals tons of virtue of Jesus... As far as his most important action, the action of choosing to go to the cross, the Mainstream Story has selected the least meaningful possibility from the selection of possible-jesus-lives.

Perhaps a Christian would say that my definition of 'virtue' is wrong. Arguing over definitions is stupid, though, and so I will simply say that I think that being willing to take larger risks for smaller benefits, when it comes to maximizing your ethical values, is ethically a good thing, while submission without argument to Divinity is ethically neutral. Why do I say this? Because if I model a universe where everybody is willing to take any action where the 'fulfillment of ethical values':'risk' ratio is above 1, that's the universe I want to live in! Whereas if I model a universe where unquestioning faith in a Divine Authority more important than maximizing the realization of your ethical values... I mean, it isn't necessarily a bad universe, but why would you choose it over the previous one?

Well, this is where things get tricky. You said it! Not me. That ugly word...

EVIDENCE.

There's none to be had, meaningfully. Not in a million years. We're peasants, see. We have either to believe or not believe. If you don't believe, suits you fine, you can still choose to live a meaningful and virtuous life, or you can be a savage, it's still a matter of personal choice (unless for some reason that's been stripped of you in which case I'd just take a bullet to the brain please and thank you).
Well, it isn't a matter of personal choice if you want to actually build models of the universe which correspond correctly with reality. If you want to do that, you have to build your models using Bayes Law, Kolmogorov complexity values, or as a last resort, the scientific method, all of which say you aren't allowed to believe things without evidence. But all of this talk about evidence is nonsense; we know there isn't enough evidence to believe that Jesus was the Son of God; my question is why, out of all the possibilities, the christian church chose this one, if there is some hidden meaning which I don't understand, or if Christians are really willing to put 'faith in God' on their list of ethics, and higher than things like 'trying to be a good person'.

Why is it called The Greatest Story Ever Told? Programming, really. You have to expect it. Here's why:

1.) Since way BC, like 10000+ BC there has been man, woman and shaman. Cave drawings depict this tri-thing. Interesting, no? The Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit? Another threesome. Anyway, point is, the role of healer/shaman is ancient and ingrained in us - it's almost as if every now and then one of us is born naturally able to heal - heal all kinds of things, the body, the mind, the spirit. "Exorcisms." Tumors. All kinds of seemingly impossible things, done by people who are just that darn good.

2.) Christianity is the longest and most wide spread living mythology to ever exist. Ever. 2000 plus years and going. What's left of it now, well... it's a simple choice of faith as I said. But if one really wants to study its origins it's not hard. And if one toils under the quandaries beset upon them by having to choose a church or having to save their son from a pedophile priest, or whatever it is... they will have a crisis of faith, and have to decide ultimately if God's worth worshiping or not.
edit: Woah, I didn't see your stuff about 'special people'. Uhm, that's an anthropic view of physics, and especially when you look at the fact that any time something which appeared a miracle was investigated it ended up being completely explained by natural law, with no unknown causal elements or ontologically basic mental substance. There are two known processes which can introduce purposefulness into a system: evolution and intelligence. Evolution makes things like butterflies, who exist for the purpose of reproducing. Intelligence makes things like cars, which exist for the purpose of serving their user. To presuppose that evolution is capable of designing hardware in a human which could cause it to do miraculous things which other humans would not be capable of, you are presupposing the second kind of purpose to exist on a universal scale. Sexual species are incapable of having hardly any variance at all in the actual hardware produced by the DNA, because if a person with the neuromachinery for healing power in his brain breeded with someone without that machinery, the child would get enough genes to build half of the neuromachinery. Complex neuromachinery can only be built one change at a time, starting with trait A, which by itself conveys a relative fitness advantage and slowly rises to 100% occurrence in the gene pool. Then trait B can get started, which relies on trait A and also conveys a slight relative fitness advantage and slowly rises to 100% occurrence, at which point trait A*, a modified version of A which doesn't break compatibility with B, can get started. Then C which relies on A*, then B* which relies on C, etc etc until you have a whole eyeball which breaks if one piece gets taken out even though it was designed incrementally (which is why intelligent design is crap). It also means that sexually reproducing species cannot have any complex machinery which has not risen to 100% occurrence. It would be impossible for random mutations to randomly cause all of the neuromachinery required for miracles; random chance does not design purposeful systems, only hereditary traits with selection pressure and some chance of mutation (evolution). Therefore, we all have the capability to do anything that any human being has ever done, since it would be impossible for them to have been different from us in any way, or else we would be a different species and unable to reproduce.

2) What about Judaism? I really like Judaism because as far as internally consistent models of reality go, it was the first and most complete until the Enlightenment.

Well your interpretation is contradictory, unfortunately. You can't decide your own fate. Fate, is a misnomer. Fate is a throw-word, something you toss in to make something else sound important. There is really only one message to be taken from Jesus and what ended up in our lifetimes as "The Church."
Are you saying that we cannot make decisions regarding our future, or that the Church says we cannot make decisions regarding our future?

"Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." -John: 13-34

This isn't just a Bible quote. It is the only commandment given us by Christ. It's been thought as to supersede all others, but that's a matter of course. The point is, to love one another. SO if you come away from the Bible and its teachings and Christianity and stuff and learn this, then you're okay. You've accomplished something. If not, then you're still mired in the oblivion of anger at what faults man have made, not Christ.
There's that heavily-criticized part of the Bible where Jesus says that to look upon a woman with lust is to commit adultery, to look upon a man with hatred is to commit murder, etc. A lot of people don't like that verse, but I really do. To me, that's Jesus saying that you are the person who controls what you think, what you do, what actions you take and what thoughts you have. Why would you decide to allow pleasure, or hatred, enter your thoughts if you can decide to do anything else other than that? Jesus pushed this message quite a bit throughout the Bible, and I think it's quite possible that it was his most useful advice.

Well, again the paradox is in your own perception of what Christianity is. Once you've read up a bit on the subject matter as I've hopefully illustrated to be important, then you'll come to realize the only paradox is why people don't just get along.

But that's something that'll never happen. Why? Cause sometimes you just don't like how the person next to you smells.
The paradox is why Christians choose to believe the Mainstream Story instead of any of the other, roughly equally supported by evidence, possibilities. Possible answers include: There is some fact about the Mainstream Story that I do not understand or do not know which makes it a better example of virtue, or that people accepted the Mainstream Story as handed by the church without thinking about it at all (since saying anything against the Church feels like mutiny), or that selective memetic pressures on various religions forced the Church to elect a story in which their Divine beings were very powerful or participated in extremely important events (for which we would then owe them gratitude), at the cost of losing the benefits of other possible retellings (for you can't have an all-powerful Divine being forced to decide between a large benefit and a large risk if there is never any risk), or possibly some other things I'm not thinking of.

I want to know what the actual answer is, or at least what a Christian might think the actual answer is.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Well, it looks like I'm back to the debate hall, at least for the short term. What can I say, someone has to represent Christianity here.

The Hero, Jesus ("Yeishu" to his friends), was a good guy. He realized that HE was in control of his body and his mind, and that ultimately he was the 'thing' that decided what actions to take, so why would he ever sometimes let his desires or urges decide what actions to take instead? And he actually carried through with it, living a life without sin, doing exactly what he thought was right and nothing else ever (as far as we know).

He preached this way of life, as well, and told as many as he could to follow in his footsteps; they were the masters of their self, and while desire for sin is very real, allowing it to control what actions you actually take is very foolish indeed, if there is any other option at all.

This man was a Hero, for sure. He practiced what he believed, challenged those who told him he was wrong to convince him it was so, and ended up dying for the cause he had so fervently believed in, which was to be a good person in every facet of your existence; to not let anything else move you to action except your own beliefs about what it is right to do. He DIED for it, knowing that a Martyr would be all the more remembered, and that perhaps he might with his death bring some of the evils in the world into focus, so that people might decide to take actions which led to a minimization of such evil.
This part is mostly true, although I disagree that that was the main focus of his actions. Still, the main points where we differ come into focus in the following paragraphs.

But not four hundred years after his death, the words about him began to change. If you have a spiritual leader you're trying to convince people to follow, and there's no way for them to actually look at the Hero to see him for themselves, you can say whatever you want. And are people not more likely to follow someone who can use his power to walk on water, than someone who merely had a realization (however significant) about will power?
This is where I'm going to have to ask for evidence. What makes you so sure that the word about him changed 400 years after his death? The dating in liberal circles for when the gospels were originally written is around 60 AD for Mark, 70 AD for Matthew/Luke, and 80-90 AD for John. We have fragments of said writings dating back to the early second century, and a complete copy of the new testament from as early as third/fourth century (don't quite remember which).

And so Yeishu as he is known today could not only walk on water, but perform all sorts of incredible feats of power. Are your people hungry? Xerox some bread. Demons in the trees? Cast them out. Is it more difficult to be a perfect person when you have such powers? Is Superman, who is immune to bullets, a more virtuous person for having risked getting shot to save a kindergarten full of children, than a police officer, not immune to bullets, risking getting shot to save three prostitutes from a criminal? I think it reveals more virtue to risk your own life for three prostitutes, than to not risk your own life for 300 children. (Obviously, though, if you have to choose, save the 300 children, for your goal should not be to appear virtuous, but to *be* virtuous.)
You make an interesting point here, that I'd like to draw attention to. Yes, Jesus (as described in the New Testament) commanded incredible power, as the various miracles He performed show. However, the paradoxical part about his nature is that He was fully God and yet fully man. Nowhere better is this illustrated than with the crucifixion itself, where he dies an extraordinarily painful death, despite being fully God, and therefore fully able to escape. So, in line with your analogy above, I'd like to ask, is Jesus, who could have summoned twelve legions of angels to defend himself, less virtuous because he sacrificed his life for an entire world full of people?

And just as Yeishu's impeccable virtue was revealed to the world by his death for the cause of being a better person, and only that cause... Well, what did his martyrdom get morphed into later on? What was at stake, when he chose to go to the Cross? No longer was this terrible fate accepted in exchange for changing some people's minds about how to behave. No. It was the infinite fate of every human who ever lived. That's what was at stake. In such a position, it definitely shows virtue to sacrifice yourself, but in this particular circumstance, the line between Right and Wrong is 50 feet tall and drawn in white fire. It is not hard to do the right thing when it is so clear as to be blindingly obvious; in most circumstances, the problem of distinguishing between two good paths, or two bad paths, is much harder, and harder yet is admitting to yourself that you might have chosen wrongly.
This comes back down to the issue of evidence. You're claiming that the story changed over the years, but what exactly makes you so sure? What do you have that points to the disciples lying, of Jesus being a mere man?

And so now Yeishu's teachings, of trying to be perfect in your actions, of being the King of your mind and your soul and deciding to do the right thing in every circumstance regardless of how much willpower it takes, has been distorted beyond measure. Yeishu, rather than being an example of what a Human should strive to be, becomes a symbol of Divinity, something Humans can never achieve (for we are all born in Sin). This is much more than bumping him up to Superman's level: basically Yeishu is the equivalent of any possible good thing you could say about him; in fact, he is defined as this all-possible-good-things idea. It is impossible to live up to what Yeishu was (and wanted others to be), so we shouldn't even bother. The best we can do is to report every bad thing we do to an Authority, so that he can make it not matter that we did the bad thing.
You're half right, and half wrong. Yes, Jesus is quite literally perfect, and us being sinners, we can never live up to that level. However, our response is NOT to just keep on doing bad things and asking God to forgive us so we can keep on sinning. See, God's grace isn't just a "Get out of jail free" card, but also the power to change ourselves, to resist sin.

To draw a parallel, imagine yourself as a father, with a toddler who's just learning to walk. You'd pick him up whenever he falls down, offer encouragement, and help him along the way, would you not? However, would you carry him everywhere he goes, doing everything for him? No, because the child needs to learn to walk on his own.

Similarly, God is our heavenly Father, teaching us how to walk spiritually. His grace picks us up when we fall and sets us back on the right path, but we still need to do the walking ourselves. And like any child, the Christian's goal is to be like his Father, to be as close to perfect as he can possibly be. Yes, actually reaching perfection is impossible in this life... but it won't be in the next, and in the meantime we can make progress towards that goal.

That's how I believe, as an atheist, the church corrupted the nature and teachings of a very wise man, degrading Jesus Christ of Nazareth from a True Hero, worthy of great praise and reverence, into a mere messiah.

But I'm interested in what Christians have to say.
Anyway, I've talked some about the theology and asked you for your evidence, so it's only fair that I mention the evidence behind Christianity.

If you've ever been in a court of law (or at least read up on one), you know that eyewitness testimony is a major factor in any case. There's other kinds of evidence, certainly (fingerprints, blood tests, and of course circumstantial evidence), but eyewitness testimony is still a major factor, and can determine a case on its own in the absence of any other evidence.

The same logic applies here. Due to the timeframe being 2000 years ago, we can't exactly take a video of Jesus performing a miracle and hold it up to various scientific tests, but we can take the eyewitness testimony of what people said and wrote about Him, and apply it to various historical tests.

The first thing I'd like to ask of you here is to admit the supernatural as a possibility. Now, of course a healthy skepticism is important, so I should explain what I mean by that. In short, if people are claiming a miracle or such, then I wouldn't believe them right away. Instead, I'd go through every possible natural explanation to see if any of them fit, or at least seemed plausible. If every last natural explanation ends up being completely ridiculous, only then do I consider their claims of it being a true miracle.

So for instance, if some guy named Joe claimed to have healed a paralytic merely by looking at them, then I'd check the person's medical records to verify he was indeed paralyzed. Then I'd of course check the former paralytic himself, verifying that he could walk and run like a normal person when Joe was nowhere near. In addition, I'd ask Joe to repeat the miracle in a controlled environment, checking to see if he'd developed some special medicine or other therapy explainable by science. However, if all of these checks came up empty... if I could tie him to a chair in a remote laboratory, bring in someone that he'd never seen before and that I personally knew was paralyzed, and said person immediately started dancing around as soon as he looked at him, THEN and only then would I conclude he was telling the truth and it was a legitimate miracle.

So, logic tells us that there are five possibilities regarding the disciples and their claims about Jesus.

1. They were telling the truth. (aka: Christianity is true)
2. They were lying.
3. They were honestly mistaken.
4. They were insane.
5. Their claims were later misinterpreted.

I'll go through these in reverse order. The possibility of the disciples claims being misinterpreted is next to zero, simply because by historical standards, the New Testament is the most reliable ancient text on the planet. A 400 year gap is typical when it comes to the time between ancient events and the first documents about them, but the gospels are a mere 30-60 years after Jesus's death (and possibly less.) Additionally, the sheer number of ancient copies we have of the Bible is also incredible. We have literally thousands of copies of the new testament from the first millenium, many of which date within 500 years of Jesus's death (apologies for being a bit vague on hard figures, but I'm writing this from memory.) The next best ancient text in this regard is Homer's Illiad, which was effectively the greek Bible... and clocks in at a mere 500 copies, many of which are just fragments.

The possibility of the disciples being insane is also fairly simple to discredit. If there only a couple of them, or even three or four, I'd concede the point. However, not counting Judas, there were 11 disciples who claimed to have seen these miracles, and their accounts harmonized on the key points. Additionally, by all accounts (both Christian and secular), the early Christians faced the complete and violent opposition of both the local Jewish leaders, and the Roman government. Finally, (and this a point we'll return to later), they claimed Jesus preached around the countryside for about three years, and that he performed miracles in the presence of various crowds, and even the Pharisees (who HATED the Christians). These are claims that people can look up and discredit, but there's no record of anyone ever claiming "Hey, these guys never did miracles." The prospect of a dozen crazy men converting thousands of people against such odds make winning the lottery look like a sure bet.

As for the disciples being honestly mistaken... well, they traveled with Jesus for three years, they were there for just about everything he did, and later claimed to have done miracles themselves. This one just isn't possible, not even theoretically.

So, the last (and probably most argued) natural explanation is that the disciples were lying. However, let's return to the point from a couple paragraphs ago, that the disciples claimed Jesus did public miracles, such as bringing Lazarus back from the dead with a crowd of mourners watching. Additionally, they claimed that the Pharisees, their harshest critics were at many of these miracles. In short, if the miracles never happened, the Pharisees both had the motivation and the evidence to completely blow up the disciples claims, to step in and say to the crowds, "These men are lying, we were there, there were no such miracles, go back to your homes." However, there's no record of them doing so, and Christianity spread like wildfire anyway.

Additionally, early Christians were under intense persecution from first the Jewish leaders, and later the Roman government. Being Christian was punishable by (among other things), being torn apart by lions, being burned at the stake, and of course, crucifixion. However, given the choice between renouncing their faith or suffering a very painful death, the vast majority of first century Christians and all of the disciples chose to suffer death. Now, it's not exactly unheard of to die for one's beliefs, one can point to plenty of people through history who have done that (even if many people won't.) However, how many people can you point to that decided to suffer and die for a lie? A figment of their imagination, a fairy tale meant to deceive others. As far as I'm aware, there is no such example, and Christianity is unique in that the founders of the religion all suffered and died in very painful ways rather than just claim they were lying.

So, since there's no natural explanation that I can reasonably believe, that leaves the supernatural explanation... that Jesus is the Son of God, that he did in fact perform miracles, and that Christianity, as written, is true.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I think it does a little more than that. I think the particular theory which the Church elevated out of the pool of possible-jesus-lives is close to the worst one they could have chosen, since in several ways it cheapens the achievement of Jesus. Compare two stories. They are identical in almost every way. In both Jesus is the Son of God and has the will power that goes along with being Divine. In one of the stories, Jesus goes to the Cross and dies in order to protect the infinite fate of every human who had ever existed or will ever exist. In the other, he goes to the Cross and dies in order to demonstrate to his posterity that he meant what he said, such that it might inspire more people to be like him. In my opinion, the first story is almost useless, since even a selfish, sinful person can see that the right thing to do is to die for the infinite fate of every human. The second narrative is a much more inspiring message and makes Jesus more worthy of reverence, and since we're picking which possible-jesus-life to elevate to belief based on something other than evidence anyway, why not go with it?
Gotcha. I apologize I guess I was ignoring your main point because I find it a bit strange to be thinking about. You see, to me there's no point in musing over what Jesus' life -could- have been. It's just not relevant to me. The fact that there's little to no data of what he did from between his appearance as a newborn to a small boy to a grown man, is frankly irrelevant, because he wasn't doing the son-of-god-thing. He was just being the son of his parents, really. A good man, hard worker, a gentle soul, as you can imagine. When he became prophet, yeah, I mean it was only 2 years time, and there's enough eye-witness documentation to warrant slapping an official seal of reality on it and calling it The Bible. And as such, it's enough for droves of people to put their faith in.

People go to Church so they can be guided in their faith. It's one thing to believe that some guy named Jesus was the son of God and thanks to him you can go to heaven when you die. That's actually a huge pill to swallow. An absurd pill to be sure if you're not Christian. But the questions, the comforts, what happens after you die, why do I live, why must I be a good person, on and on, these questions are answered for a great many by their spiritual leader.

my question is why, out of all the possibilities, the christian church chose this one, if there is some hidden meaning which I don't understand, or if Christians are really willing to put 'faith in God' on their list of ethics, and higher than things like 'trying to be a good person'.
Well, think of it like this. You have a handful of people who witness the death of their friend and mentor. Then they witness his coming back to life? Then going up into the sky?? I mean, wtf. LOL If you saw that, you'd write it down. They did... along with many others, dozens actually. Which is a lot considering how long ago we're talking, and how few people could actually write. So basically, you have to as the authority in the Church, which Jesus did ask of Peter to be built for worship to be had, ensure that what you're teaching - your Gospels - are consistent. Strangely enough there's many contradictions within the New Testament itself, and countless many between Old and New, but that's another discussion.

edit: Woah, I didn't see your stuff about 'special people'. Uhm, that's an anthropic view of physics, and especially when you look at the fact that any time something which appeared a miracle was investigated it ended up being completely explained by natural law, with no unknown causal elements or ontologically basic mental substance. There are two known processes which can introduce purposefulness into a system: evolution and intelligence. Evolution makes things like butterflies, who exist for the purpose of reproducing. Intelligence makes things like cars, which exist for the purpose of serving their user. To presuppose that evolution is capable of designing hardware in a human which could cause it to do miraculous things which other humans would not be capable of, you are presupposing the second kind of purpose to exist on a universal scale. Sexual species are incapable of having hardly any variance at all in the actual hardware produced by the DNA, because if a person with the neuromachinery for healing power in his brain breeded with someone without that machinery, the child would get enough genes to build half of the neuromachinery. Complex neuromachinery can only be built one change at a time, starting with trait A, which by itself conveys a relative fitness advantage and slowly rises to 100% occurrence in the gene pool. Then trait B can get started, which relies on trait A and also conveys a slight relative fitness advantage and slowly rises to 100% occurrence, at which point trait A*, a modified version of A which doesn't break compatibility with B, can get started. Then C which relies on A*, then B* which relies on C, etc etc until you have a whole eyeball which breaks if one piece gets taken out even though it was designed incrementally (which is why intelligent design is crap). It also means that sexually reproducing species cannot have any complex machinery which has not risen to 100% occurrence. It would be impossible for random mutations to randomly cause all of the neuromachinery required for miracles; random chance does not design purposeful systems, only hereditary traits with selection pressure and some chance of mutation (evolution). Therefore, we all have the capability to do anything that any human being has ever done, since it would be impossible for them to have been different from us in any way, or else we would be a different species and unable to reproduce.
Well that's all good, but it still doesn't explain why some people just have a knack for doing something, and at the same time have a real handicap doing something else. Otherwise we'd all be world class athletes and scholars.

Are you saying that we cannot make decisions regarding our future, or that the Church says we cannot make decisions regarding our future?
No, I'm saying that "deciding your own fate and controlling your own self in everything you do, never letting your desires or urges or instinct rule your actions even for a moment" is impossible. You can't decide your own fate, because whatever it is you decide to do, is always what you were going to decide to do. I think I've had this discussion before. hah. Fate isn't real, in other words. This concept that you can somehow change what things will be like for you years down the road. How? By NOT going to such-n-such movie on Friday night? Who's to say you were never going to that movie? Just because you made a "conscious" decision to do something, doesn't mean it isn't the same decision that was always going to be made. It's not even that important, really. When you think about it, who cares? I just try to live in the moment. I plan ahead for things, too, but I also don't obsesses over what could have been, because it'll never happen, and it never would have.

(now if there IS some way some day to hop the multiverse, then F yeah)

The paradox is why Christians choose to believe the Mainstream Story instead of any of the other, roughly equally supported by evidence, possibilities. Possible answers include: There is some fact about the Mainstream Story that I do not understand or do not know which makes it a better example of virtue, or that people accepted the Mainstream Story as handed by the church without thinking about it at all (since saying anything against the Church feels like mutiny), or that selective memetic pressures on various religions forced the Church to elect a story in which their Divine beings were very powerful or participated in extremely important events (for which we would then owe them gratitude), at the cost of losing the benefits of other possible retellings (for you can't have an all-powerful Divine being forced to decide between a large benefit and a large risk if there is never any risk), or possibly some other things I'm not thinking of.

I want to know what the actual answer is, or at least what a Christian might think the actual answer is.
Well I hate to say it, you're probably asking the wrong question of Christians. To a Christian the answer is simple: There isn't multiple stories, or even the possibility of multiple stories, there's only one, the one in The Bible. And I find it difficult to believe that you have been able to extrapolate even one other possible set of events that could have transpired based on the evidence we have to date. Two years is a long time, and true there isn't a day-to-day accounting of his life and movements. But there doesn't have to be to understand the summary of those 2 years, what he did, why he did it, and how it ended.

GofG

Smash Champion
You took me seriously, so I will take you seriously.

This is where I'm going to have to ask for evidence. What makes you so sure that the word about him changed 400 years after his death? The dating in liberal circles for when the gospels were originally written is around 60 AD for Mark, 70 AD for Matthew/Luke, and 80-90 AD for John. We have fragments of said writings dating back to the early second century, and a complete copy of the new testament from as early as third/fourth century (don't quite remember which).
Bah. There have been many cognitive psychology experiments which have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that a) humans are the least trustworthy witnesses you could possibly draw upon and their testimony is almost worthless[1][2] and that b),from a neurological standpoint, basically every time we access a memory we rewrite it as we think of it, and c) any forces influencing us while we are accessing the memory can directly influence how the memory turns out3. This is simply something you must accept as being true. Without any evidence beyond human testimony (which was admittedly actually written down between 40 to 50 years after the events they describe), you have very little evidence at all that your model of reality is accurate to any precision at all.

You make an interesting point here, that I'd like to draw attention to. Yes, Jesus (as described in the New Testament) commanded incredible power, as the various miracles He performed show. However, the paradoxical part about his nature is that He was fully God and yet fully man. Nowhere better is this illustrated than with the crucifixion itself, where he dies an extraordinarily painful death, despite being fully God, and therefore fully able to escape. So, in line with your analogy above, I'd like to ask, is Jesus, who could have summoned twelve legions of angels to defend himself, less virtuous because he sacrificed his life for an entire world full of people?
No, he is not less virtuous for it. I am simply saying that it is not evidence of virtue. It's an easy choice to make! Your painful death vs the eternal, infinite fate of every human being, past and future? It would suck to have to make the choice, but I'd wager that there would be quite a few humans on earth, some relatively large percentage, who would be willing to make that choice as well. Choose to die so that every single human who ever existed didn't have to be in infinite pain for all of eternity? (And knowing you'll get resurrected 3 days later?) No, it isn't evidence either way that he had virtue worthy of God. He had already shown more virtue in actions like leading a sinless life, or healing the sick (even though it was easy with his magical powers). Those simple actions revealed more virtue than making this easy, obvious choice. I would do the same in his position, and I am not a particularly virtuous person.

However, it would take a truly virtuous person to go to the Cross and die, if he couldn't just call down an Angel army at any time, if he didn't know he was going to be resurrected 3 days later, if he weren't a perfect, sinless human being, if the cost of not doing so weren't the infinite fate of every human ever, but instead the cost was something like fewer people will be inspired by you. That would take a truly, truly virtuous person.

This comes back down to the issue of evidence. You're claiming that the story changed over the years, but what exactly makes you so sure? What do you have that points to the disciples lying, of Jesus being a mere man?
The data which shows that it is almost impossible for people to accurately remember things 40 years after they happen[1], especially if they have talked about them a lot[2], and particularly in settings where you are trying to persuade someone of something.

You're half right, and half wrong. Yes, Jesus is quite literally perfect, and us being sinners, we can never live up to that level. However, our response is NOT to just keep on doing bad things and asking God to forgive us so we can keep on sinning. See, God's grace isn't just a "Get out of jail free" card, but also the power to change ourselves, to resist sin.

To draw a parallel, imagine yourself as a father, with a toddler who's just learning to walk. You'd pick him up whenever he falls down, offer encouragement, and help him along the way, would you not? However, would you carry him everywhere he goes, doing everything for him? No, because the child needs to learn to walk on his own.

Similarly, God is our heavenly Father, teaching us how to walk spiritually. His grace picks us up when we fall and sets us back on the right path, but we still need to do the walking ourselves. And like any child, the Christian's goal is to be like his Father, to be as close to perfect as he can possibly be. Yes, actually reaching perfection is impossible in this life... but it won't be in the next, and in the meantime we can make progress towards that goal.
When does His Grace pick us up when we fall? As far as I can see, there are no consequences for sin beyond having to confess. God knows how human psychology works. He knows that basically 100% of what we do is determined by small, immediate positive and negative feedback. Why would he not have there be an immediate minor punishment for sin, and an immediate minor reward for virtue? For if he had done so, we would no longer have sin! That's how the human brain works.

Anyway, I've talked some about the theology and asked you for your evidence, so it's only fair that I mention the evidence behind Christianity.

If you've ever been in a court of law (or at least read up on one), you know that eyewitness testimony is a major factor in any case. There's other kinds of evidence, certainly (fingerprints, blood tests, and of course circumstantial evidence), but eyewitness testimony is still a major factor, and can determine a case on its own in the absence of any other evidence.

The same logic applies here. Due to the timeframe being 2000 years ago, we can't exactly take a video of Jesus performing a miracle and hold it up to various scientific tests, but we can take the eyewitness testimony of what people said and wrote about Him, and apply it to various historical tests.
Eyewitness testimony is inaccurate and wrong more often than it is right. Google "reliability of eyewitness testimony" and read ANY LINK to find out how humans rewrite their memories every time they imagine them, adding new details based on suggestibility. Read about how humans fail to take into account base rates when examining eyewitness testimony. Read about how human brains are terrible, terrible witnesses in every possible meaning of the word.

A good example of this was an experiment conducted by Kahneman, detailed in his book Thinking, Fast and Slow
:
Kahneman said:
A cab was involved in a hit and run accident at night. Two cab companies, the Green and the Blue, operate in the city. You are given the following data:
  1. 85% of the cabs in the city are Green and 15% are Blue.
  2. a witness identified the cab as Blue. The court tested the reliability of the witness under the same circumstances that existed on the night of the accident and concluded that the witness correctly identified each one of the two colors 80% of the time and failed 20% of the time.
    What is the probability that the cab involved in the accident was Blue rather than Green?
In this example, it seems like there's an 80% chance that the cab was Blue, and a 20% chance that the cab was Green, since witnesses are correct 80% of the time. But this is failing to take into account the prior probability of the cab's color. First, we start out thinking that there's an 85% chance that the cab was Green and 15% that the cab was Blue, since we don't have any better information. Later, we find the evidence of the eye witness testimony, which we are 80% confident of. This evidence doesn't replacethe prior odds, it simply updates it. If A is the event of the delinquent being Green, and B is the event of the delinquent being Blue, and C is the event that the witness correctly identified the cab, and the notation P(A|C) means "The probability of A, given the new evidence C" whereas P(A) means "The probability of A, without counting new evidence C", then:

P(A|C)/P(B|C) = (P(C|A) * P(A))/(P(C|B) * P(B)))
= (.8 * .15)/(.2 * .8)
= 12/17

Since P(A|C) + P(B|C) must equal 1, it follows that

P(B|C) = 12 / (12 + 17) = roughly 41%.

Which means that, even given the eyewitness testimony, there's only a 41% chance that the cab was Blue, and a 59% chance that the cab was Green.

So eyewitness accounts, even ones which are known to be 80% accurate, still don't overcome the prior probability odds of the base ratio of cabs.

If we look at Christian miracles the same way, first we must consider the base probability of miracles being explained as natural phenomenon and not an act of divine intervention, and then compare that to the eyewitness testimony.

I'll be conservative and say that the eyewitness testimony of the gospels has a 99% chance of being accurate, even though I personally doubt it's higher than 50%.

Would you be willing to say that the probability of the testimony of the gospels being accurate is 99%? No? Alright, let's say 99.9%.

How many times have people claimed miracles and then were shown to either be mistaken, a fraud, or some natural and 'scientific' explanation was found? Well, since every single claim of a miracle that we've been able to test was found to not be a miracle, the probability of a miracle being genuine is very low (not impossible, we might just have not run enough tests).

If we've investigated 10,000 miraculous claims, and all 10,000 were shown to not be miracles, then at best, the prior odds of a miraculous claim being genuine is 1/10,001, or .009%. Since P(A|C) + P(B|C) = 1, this means that the prior odds of a miraculous claim being nonsupernatural is 99.991%

If we say that C is the event of the testimony of the gospels being accurate (99.9%), A is the event of a miracle being genuine, and B is the event of a miracle being explained without invoking supernatural causality, then:

P(A|C)/P(B|C) = (P(C|A) * P(A)) / (P(C|B) * P(B))
(Probability of true miracles, given the new evidence of the gospels) / (Probability of false miracles, given the new evidence of the gospels) = (Probability of the gospels testimony, assuming the miracles were false * probability of miracle being false) / (Probability of the gospels testimony, assuming the miracles were true * probability of a miracle being genuine)

= (.1% * 99.991%) / (99.9% * .009%)
= (9.991%) / 89.91%)
= 11%

This means that if we've investigated 10,000 miracles and found them all to be false, and we assume the testimony of the gospels is 99.9% accurate, then there's only an 11% chance that Jesus worked miracles. (Needless to say, because of the Symmetric Property, we would get the same answer if we started with the evidence of the gospels and then updated on the evidence of the testing of miraculous claims, instead of the other way around.)

That is how to properly update on evidence. If you want to argue that Jesus performed miracles, the proper way to do so would be to show evidence that more than 1/10,000 claimed miracles are true miracles, or that the testimony of the gospels is more than 99.9% accurate. But you cannot argue with the math. Admittedly I pulled these numbers out of thin air, but the point of doing a Bayesian calculation on evidence isn't that when you're done you get the exact right answer. The point is that the process of doing the Bayesian update forces you to assign subjective weight to all of the evidence, and decide what you should actually believe based on how much subjective weight you give each piece of evidence.

I personally believe that the ratio of true miracles to false miracles is MUCH lower than 1:10,000, and that the probability of the gospels being accurate is MUCH, MUCH, MUUUUCH lower than 99.9%, and therefore when I do a Bayesian update I get a probability MUCH LOWER than 11% that Jesus worked true miracles. So if you want to actually convince me of Jesus's divinity, you'll have to convince me that true miracles happen MUCH more often than 1/10,001, or that the accuracy of the gospels is MUCH HIGHER than 99.9%.

And keep in mind that there is more evidence to consider. For instance, a hypothesis which cannot accurately describe the exact mechanism by which supernatural intervention happens is worth less than a theory which does explain the exact mechanism by which a supposed miracle happens. Why? Because such a theory can be used to make predictions about how reality will work, and if such predictions are then shown to be wrong, then the theory is falsified. Whereas a theory which anticipates more possible outcomes is less falsifiable, since it could explain more possible outcomes. The more narrow your predictions, the better your theory, until one of your predictions is wrong.

Your hypothesis is that events in the universe happen because of the will of God. What sort of predictions can you make with that? If you win the lottery, then it means that the will of God was for you to win the lottery. If you lose the lottery, it means that the will of God was for you to lose the lottery. Your theory explains each outcome equally well: it doesn't focus your anticipation onto a single outcome, which means that you cannot use any particular outcome as being evidence for or against the theory. On the other hand, my theory, which says that events in the universe happen because of the known natural laws of physics, doesn't explain each outcome equally well. It predicts that certain events will happen with a larger probability than other events; it focuses my subjective anticipation onto one particular outcome. This means that I can use it to make predictions, and if my predictions are shown to be wrong, this is evidence against the theory, whereas if my predictions are shown to be right, this is evidence supporting the theory.

For a theory to make a prediction, it must focus its prediction-mass onto a certain set of outcomes. If you can equally well explain any outcome, your theory has no predictive power. The Laws of Probability state that if you have a strong anticipation of seeing weak evidence for your theory, then you must equally have a weak anticipation of seeing strong evidence against your theory. But a theory which could not have predicted in advance a specific outcome with a larger anticipation than the anticipation of any other outcome, cannot count the observation of that specific outcome as evidence that supports the theory over a theory which focused more of its anticipation on that particular outcome.

My theory, that of natural law, says that an apple will fall to the ground every single time you drop it. Just as every time I drop an apple, I subjectively have a strong anticipation of seeing weak evidence supporting my theory (the apple drops to the ground), I must also subjectively have a weak anticipation of seeing strong evidence rejecting my theory (the apple flies up into the sky).

Your theory of God's Will cannot make such specific predictions. Does the apple fall to the ground? God willed it to do so. Does the apple fall to the sky? God willed it to do so. You surely anticipate the outcome of 'falling to the ground' with a larger probability than 'flying to the sky', but your theory could still explain the outcome of 'flying to the sky'. This means that it is hard to make testable predictions of outcomes using your theory. One prediction your theory makes is that Jesus will one day return to Earth in the Second Coming. Your theory spreads your anticipation of this event happening over many, many days. It cannot predict which day it will happen, and so you give each day a very small probability, with the sum of the probability of all days adding up to 1. Each day that goes by without the event of the second coming is very weak evidence against the theory.

My theory, on the other hand, predicts that the second coming will never happen, and therefore each day which goes by without the event of the second coming is very weak evidence supporting my theory.

There is a lot of evidence out there, and there are a lot of ways in which humans interpret evidence, but there is only one way to actually properly interpret evidence: Bayesian probability theory. If one theory assigns a certain outcome 99% chance of happening, and another theory assigns a certain outcome 98% chance of happening, and the outcome happens, then that is weak evidence for the first theory over the second theory. This is just how the universe workse. Absence of evidence is evidence of absence, just very weak evidence.

But all of that weak evidence all points in the same direction, and when you add it all together, it starts looking pretty strong.

The first thing I'd like to ask of you here is to admit the supernatural as a possibility. Now, of course a healthy skepticism is important, so I should explain what I mean by that. In short, if people are claiming a miracle or such, then I wouldn't believe them right away. Instead, I'd go through every possible natural explanation to see if any of them fit, or at least seemed plausible. If every last natural explanation ends up being completely ridiculous, only then do I consider their claims of it being a true miracle.

So for instance, if some guy named Joe claimed to have healed a paralytic merely by looking at them, then I'd check the person's medical records to verify he was indeed paralyzed. Then I'd of course check the former paralytic himself, verifying that he could walk and run like a normal person when Joe was nowhere near. In addition, I'd ask Joe to repeat the miracle in a controlled environment, checking to see if he'd developed some special medicine or other therapy explainable by science. However, if all of these checks came up empty... if I could tie him to a chair in a remote laboratory, bring in someone that he'd never seen before and that I personally knew was paralyzed, and said person immediately started dancing around as soon as he looked at him, THEN and only then would I conclude he was telling the truth and it was a legitimate miracle.
The important thing is for the model of the universe you have to be able to describe how phenomenon actually occurs. A technical description is important. I agree that the above experiment would be strong evidence for Joe having some sort of power to heal paralytics, but I cannot conceive of the mechanism by which he can do so. Does he shoot out little nanites from his eyes which enter the body and repair the damage? Do his eyes perhaps reflect light in a different way, causing the photons to transform into a before-unseen paralytic-healing-particle? If so, what is the exact mechanism which allows this particle to heal paralytics?

The problem with miracles is that you can't play connect-the-dots from each mechanic to next mechanic, explaining the sequence of causality, starting with the circumstances of reality and ending with the paralytic being healed. At some point, something either has to happen without being physically caused to happen, or else it is perfectly explainable by science (since we can explain all of the causal steps as to how it happens) and it isn't a miracle.

Now, with this in mind, the chance of an event happening without cause is so low that it is almost certainly more likely that a vast conspiracy faked the medical records. Why? Because we have never witnessed an uncaused event in this history of science. Every supernatural claim ended up either being perfectly natural, or a fraud. From a Bayesian perspective, this is incredible evidence for the nonexistence of uncaused events (supernaturalism). However, I play fair with the evidence. As I have an extremely strong anticipation of seeing additional extremely weak evidence favoring reductionistic materialism, I also have an extremely weak anticipation of seeing extremely strong evidence against materialism, i.e. witnessing an uncaused event. And if I see such evidence, then I will update my model of the universe to include events which could happen without cause (although, I admit, I cannot quite conceive of how such a universe would work).

So, logic tells us that there are five possibilities regarding the disciples and their claims about Jesus.

1. They were telling the truth. (aka: Christianity is true)
2. They were lying.
3. They were honestly mistaken.
4. They were insane.
5. Their claims were later misinterpreted.

I'll go through these in reverse order. The possibility of the disciples claims being misinterpreted is next to zero, simply because by historical standards, the New Testament is the most reliable ancient text on the planet. A 400 year gap is typical when it comes to the time between ancient events and the first documents about them, but the gospels are a mere 30-60 years after Jesus's death (and possibly less.) Additionally, the sheer number of ancient copies we have of the Bible is also incredible. We have literally thousands of copies of the new testament from the first millenium, many of which date within 500 years of Jesus's death (apologies for being a bit vague on hard figures, but I'm writing this from memory.) The next best ancient text in this regard is Homer's Illiad, which was effectively the greek Bible... and clocks in at a mere 500 copies, many of which are just fragments.
...I regret to inform you that with the ridiculous amounts of confirmation bias, positive bias, brutal ignorance of how the human mind works, and of every other way in which humans decide what to believe based not on evidence but on desire, in this paragraph, I have decided that this debate isn't worth my time. If you want to learn the above things, I suggest you read E T Jaynes' "Heuristics and Biases", Daniel Kahneman's "Thinking, Fast and Slow", and Eliezer Yudkowsky's "Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality" and "The Sequences", the latter two of which are available on the internet at http://www.hpmor.com and http://wiki.lesswrong.com/wiki/Sequences respectively.

---

Getting back on track, my original question was meant to be: Regardless of what actually happened, do Christians believe that their story of Christs's life reveals a more virtuous Christ, than does the picture I've painted? And if so, what does 'virtue' mean to them?

GofG

Smash Champion
Well, think of it like this. You have a handful of people who witness the death of their friend and mentor. Then they witness his coming back to life? Then going up into the sky?? I mean, wtf. LOL If you saw that, you'd write it down. They did... along with many others, dozens actually. Which is a lot considering how long ago we're talking, and how few people could actually write. So basically, you have to as the authority in the Church, which Jesus did ask of Peter to be built for worship to be had, ensure that what you're teaching - your Gospels - are consistent. Strangely enough there's many contradictions within the New Testament itself, and countless many between Old and New, but that's another discussion.
We have a good deal of evidence that Jesus existed and had a following, but there were several other "messiahs" going around and preaching at the time. The only reason Jesus got elevated to "son of God" above all of the others who claimed to be the fulfillment of various prophecies in the old testament is because Peter was very, very good at marketing. Also, as far as eye witnesses to the resurrection, there were none. No one actually witnessed the event of Jesus coming back to life; they only observed him being alive afterwards. How might this have been done? Perhaps he had a carefully concealed twin his whole life, like in The Prestige, and it was a trick. Perhaps he didn't actually die. Perhaps the apostles didn't actually see him after his death, but only "felt his presence" very strongly or something. If you start with the belief that Jesus came back from the dead, then it's easy to reaffirm that, through any of the many methods of deciding not to change your mind given to you by evolution (and many other ways in which human cognition fails to live up to the incredibly, unfairly high standard of actually getting the correct answer).

Well that's all good, but it still doesn't explain why some people just have a knack for doing something, and at the same time have a real handicap doing something else. Otherwise we'd all be world class athletes and scholars.
Research has shown that most 'prodigies' or 'geniuses' got that way by working really, really hard. Any cases you've heard of people being 'naturally good' at something, has to do with the random variability in how long it takes someone to learn to be good at something. If you expose 100,000 people to a violin, give them all a year to practice, some of them just as a matter of probability will be way better than others. These people tend to stand out as being exceptionally skilled or talented, when really they just got lucky with regard to when certain things 'clicked' with them.

No, I'm saying that "deciding your own fate and controlling your own self in everything you do, never letting your desires or urges or instinct rule your actions even for a moment" is impossible.
...impossible?! Literally, you cannot conceive of a universe in which even a single human being decided to identify the source of all of his thoughts, and then only act on the ones which he determined to be grounded in ethics as opposed to desire or urge or instinct?

You can't decide your own fate, because whatever it is you decide to do, is always what you were going to decide to do. I think I've had this discussion before. hah. Fate isn't real, in other words. This concept that you can somehow change what things will be like for you years down the road. How? By NOT going to such-n-such movie on Friday night? Who's to say you were never going to that movie? Just because you made a "conscious" decision to do something, doesn't mean it isn't the same decision that was always going to be made. It's not even that important, really. When you think about it, who cares? I just try to live in the moment. I plan ahead for things, too, but I also don't obsesses over what could have been, because it'll never happen, and it never would have.
Woah woah woah. You have determinism all wrong, bro. If "rationality" leads you to think that you can't make decisions for yourself because the entire course of physics was predetermined from the onset of the universe, then "rationality" isn't something you'd teach your friends. It's something you'd teach your enemies, so that they stop trying.

Thinking that determinism and the ability to choose are mutually exclusive is clearly confusing materialism for something else. It's not like there's one concept, "you", and then another concept, "physics", fighting over what choice to make, and physics always wins. You are physics. You, the algorithm running on your brain, decides what to do using the physics of that very algorithm.

You don't have to believe in dualism, or the supernatural, to believe that you can make your own decisions. You just have to actually understand the physics of cognitive neuroscience, instead of reading up until you understand that it's all Laws of Physics and then stopping there.

Well I hate to say it, you're probably asking the wrong question of Christians. To a Christian the answer is simple: There isn't multiple stories, or even the possibility of multiple stories, there's only one, the one in The Bible. And I find it difficult to believe that you have been able to extrapolate even one other possible set of events that could have transpired based on the evidence we have to date. Two years is a long time, and true there isn't a day-to-day accounting of his life and movements. But there doesn't have to be to understand the summary of those 2 years, what he did, why he did it, and how it ended.
Then my question at the end of the previous post stands.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
We have a good deal of evidence that Jesus existed and had a following, but there were several other "messiahs" going around and preaching at the time. The only reason Jesus got elevated to "son of God" above all of the others who claimed to be the fulfillment of various prophecies in the old testament is because Peter was very, very good at marketing. Also, as far as eye witnesses to the resurrection, there were none. No one actually witnessed the event of Jesus coming back to life; they only observed him being alive afterwards. How might this have been done? Perhaps he had a carefully concealed twin his whole life, like in The Prestige, and it was a trick. Perhaps he didn't actually die. Perhaps the apostles didn't actually see him after his death, but only "felt his presence" very strongly or something. If you start with the belief that Jesus came back from the dead, then it's easy to reaffirm that, through any of the many methods of deciding not to change your mind given to you by evolution (and many other ways in which human cognition fails to live up to the incredibly, unfairly high standard of actually getting the correct answer).
Well yes you can argue that Peter is the real father of Christianity and he rallied the old troops into singing a song about that Jesus guy they all knew once and to make a "church" out of it, or something... really? I mean they were like, ancient by the time this all got wrote down somewhere, so to what end? Someone who is dishonest isn't going to wait until they're almost dead to suddenly decide it's time to start a world wide campaign of misdirection.

Research has shown that most 'prodigies' or 'geniuses' got that way by working really, really hard. Any cases you've heard of people being 'naturally good' at something, has to do with the random variability in how long it takes someone to learn to be good at something. If you expose 100,000 people to a violin, give them all a year to practice, some of them just as a matter of probability will be way better than others. These people tend to stand out as being exceptionally skilled or talented, when really they just got lucky with regard to when certain things 'clicked' with them.

I'll buy that, but it's only one explanation, and it's hardly all encompassing given the number of prodigies and how they came to be. Whatever research you read is only talking people who are trained and either get it or don't. I'm talking about people who have never .. for instance .. played a piano. They hear a song, then sit at the piano, and reproduce the melody - flawlessly - and in "key." How? AP (absolute pitch) is a good guess. Luck, though? Law of averages? Sure, but statistics are dead information, they provide no useful conclusions, only mappings of trends, and in your case, your "research" is only partially accurate.

...impossible?! Literally, you cannot conceive of a universe in which even a single human being decided to identify the source of all of his thoughts, and then only act on the ones which he determined to be grounded in ethics as opposed to desire or urge or instinct?
Nope. Sorry, it's just impossible. You can't take the hu out of human. You can't seriously think that such a decision isn't born of an original desire or urge or instinct. You really think someone would just decide to live the perfect life for no reason?

Woah woah woah. You have determinism all wrong, bro. If "rationality" leads you to think that you can't make decisions for yourself because the entire course of physics was predetermined from the onset of the universe, then "rationality" isn't something you'd teach your friends. It's something you'd teach your enemies, so that they stop trying.
I don't get it. Anyway, all I'm saying is that decision making is irrelevant, because your "choice" isn't really a choice, it's more, your consciousness has caught up to the moment in time in which you decide A. Not A or B. The "choice" between A or B will always result in choice A because A=the choice you'll make and B=the alternative that you pass up.

Then my question at the end of the previous post stands.
Well, I guess it only makes sense if you believe in God. For God to come down to earth in the form of a man, and to be stripped of all manner of decency, to be beaten to a bloody pulp and yada yada, yeah the death of Jesus is pretty horrific when you read about it or watch crazy people's renditions of it like Mel Gibson, but anyway... it's a huge deal. I mean, there's this ... confusion or rather... oversight within some Atheists when getting into these debates. God isn't just nice and all loving. He's also a terrible power to be had, and nothing short of awe-inspiring, and terrifying. He's the beginning and end of everything so the story goes. And he came down to earth in Jesus form - and died a humiliating and excruciating death - just to learn enough about humans - to indeed live as a human - so that he can better speak on our behalf in Heaven. Yes. God's talking to himself. About us... his greatest creation. I know it's a lot to swallow, it's not meant for everyone to believe in, it's simply a matter of what is important to you. If it's important to believe that Jesus died for some other more worldly reason, cool! There are probably Christian factions that agree with you and have services to this effect. That's another reason why asking such a broad question may result in different responses. But anyway, the "typical" response will basically outline his sacrifice as being so grand and cool because God ... God man, God put on CLOTHES... and and... drank... WATER. And PEED everywhere! He LOWERED himself to Human so that he could better understand his creation, and when he was done, he allowed himself to be put to death. And that's bigger than anything a mere mortal can do.

GofG

Smash Champion
Well yes you can argue that Peter is the real father of Christianity and he rallied the old troops into singing a song about that Jesus guy they all knew once and to make a "church" out of it, or something... really? I mean they were like, ancient by the time this all got wrote down somewhere, so to what end? Someone who is dishonest isn't going to wait until they're almost dead to suddenly decide it's time to start a world wide campaign of misdirection.
I don't think Peter made the conscious decision to lie. As I said many times earlier, there have been studies upon studies upon studies that human memory is terrible. When we access a memory in our brain, and remember it, we remove it from long term memory and drop it into our "active" memory. While it's there, it is very malleable. If we think we might remember a certain detail, that detail gets added to the memory even if it wasn't there before. I witnessed this happening last night on a date, actually. Some time after we left the restaurant, a car bumped into my car from behind. My car sustained no real damage, and the other driver and I decided to not report it or call the police.

Some five minutes afterward, the girl I was with said that she had a slight feeling of the person who hit me being at a table near us at the restaurant. I told her that I didn't remember the person being there. I watched before my eyes as she accessed the memory, tried to imagine the person sitting at the table near us, and lo and behold, she did imagine him there. Now she was more certain that the man was sitting at the table next to us, and the more she accessed the memory, the more her brain inserted new details about the man being there. Before long, she was absolutely certain that the man had been at the restaurant. I didn't press the point because I wanted to get laid, but not only am I almost certain that the man was not at the restaurant, I watched her degree of certainty change from very uncertain to absolutely certain before my very eyes. The more she tried to remember the man being there, the more the memory got altered, until she was absolutely certain.

This happened over the course of one hour. The more she thought about the memory and the details she thought might be there, the more those details got added to the memory.

I suspect this has happened to you, as well. Any time you and a friend have argued over an event in the past that you both remember differently, the longer the argument the more certain you both became, because the more you accessed the memory the more your brain altered it to exactly fit the details. Or perhaps you and your mother argued about an event in your childhood. This has happened to me as well.

When I was going to school, from kindergarten to tenth grade, I went to a Catholic private school with excellent fine arts and average academics. I constantly complained about the quality of the education I was getting, and had arguments, minor or major, with my teachers, about various things. I remember specifically that my 8th grade Geometry teacher gave us a quiz where there were about 16 lines intersecting a circle at various places, and we were given one of the angles and had to find the measure of all of the other angles. I messed up the very first calculation, and therefore from there on out all of my answers were wrong, since they depended upon the first answer being right. When I got the quiz back, I got a 0, even though 95% of my mechanics had been correct. I yelled at the teacher, defying him to say that he thought the 0 was an accurate assessment of my abilities, and left the class in disgust.

I had a conversation with my mother a week ago about this incident, and found that her memory of my retelling of the event had been drastically altered in the years since. She thought it was a test, not a quiz. She thought that in addition to marking everything wrong, he also took points off for my changing a subtraction into an addition of a negative number. My mom used to hark on this all the time back when I was learning math: before you do anything, turn every minus sign into a 'plus negative'; my teachers thought it was less important, and she didn't like them because of this.

Somehow, in the 7 years since I was in Geometry, she had rewritten her memory of my teacher from "doesn't teach his students to change minus into plus negative" to "forbids students from changing minus to plus negative". What were her motives for doing so? She had none, because she did not do it consciously, but I'm sure her subconscious was simply looking for more evidence that the teacher was 'evil' and that her son was being unjustly punished, considered whether or not the teacher forbid his students from changing minus signs to plus negative, tried to remember it that way as a way of checking whether it happened, and then succeeded in remembering it that way.

This is exactly what I propose happened to Peter, except he accessed the memory literally all the time, because he based his entire life around accessing the memory and telling it to others. He must have accessed the memories of the supposed miracles billions of times. Who knows what details got added in this manner? Who knows what details got rewritten? Also, this process can be heavily influenced by others, obviously. Let's say that John and Peter were sitting down, talking about the time when Jesus cast the demons into the nearby pigs. That conversation might have gone like this:

"Man, do you remember that time Yeishu cast the demon out of that man?"

"Ah, yes, I do."

"Well, I realized something the other day. Do you remember how, across the lake, that farmer had a bunch of pigs?"

"Yes, I do."

"Do you remember how the pigs acted wild and strangely after he cast the demon out?"

"Err... Kind of..."

"Yeah, remember? The pigs went crazy, started running around, bashing into each other, and things like that."

"Yeah... I think I remember that happening now."

"Well, I think Yeishu cast the demon out of the man and into those pigs. That would make sense, after all, since demons can only possess living beings, and the pigs were the closest thing to the man at the time which were safe to be possessed."

"That makes sense! Yes, that must be what happened."

And then 40 years later, the story is that Jesus cast the demon out of the epileptic man, the demons spoke to Jesus and said their name was Legion, Jesus put the demons in the pigs, the pigs drowned themselves in the lake, and then Jesus explained to everybody what happened. Do you see how this might happen?

If the girl I was with last night can completely convince herself that a certain man was at a restaurant when he wasn't, given an hour... Certainly a couple men can convince themselves that a certain man had mystical powers, if they didn't know that mystical powers aren't real, and they had 40 years to convince themselves of it. I find it impossible to believe that anyone can have any accurate memories of things that happened 40 years ago, especially memories which they have constantly accessed in order to retell, and that isn't even counting the subconscious motivation of finding evidence that Jesus was miraculous so that people would join the religion, just as my mother wanted to believe that my teacher was evil.

I'll buy that, but it's only one explanation, and it's hardly all encompassing given the number of prodigies and how they came to be. Whatever research you read is only talking people who are trained and either get it or don't. I'm talking about people who have never .. for instance .. played a piano. They hear a song, then sit at the piano, and reproduce the melody - flawlessly - and in "key." How? AP (absolute pitch) is a good guess. Luck, though? Law of averages? Sure, but statistics are dead information, they provide no useful conclusions, only mappings of trends, and in your case, your "research" is only partially accurate.
I have perfect pitch myself, and therefore concede this point entirely to you. You are right, being able to play a melody on a piano after having heard it once, in the right key, is an innate talent. Being able to hear a note, and tell the absolute, rather than relative, frequency of the air waves, is an innate ability which is not fully understood.

Nope. Sorry, it's just impossible. You can't take the hu out of human. You can't seriously think that such a decision isn't born of an original desire or urge or instinct. You really think someone would just decide to live the perfect life for no reason?
When I make a choice between, say, doing heroin (ex-addict here) and not doing heroin, I am consciously making a decision to override my desires, urges, and instincts because I know that there are better decision-making methods, which are more likely to lead me to achieve my goals. Yesterday I ate a bagel with extra cream cheese, even though I know cream cheese is high in trans fat, and I know that I acted on my desires, urges, instincts when I decided to do this, and that if all I cared about were my goals, then I should not have made that decision, but I can imagine the drive of wanting to achieve my goals being stronger than my desire for a good-tasting food, and I can conceive of a person who would have not put extra cream cheese on the bagel, or who might have had a salad instead. And I can imagine, I can conceive of, a person who would have stronger will than that, who not only doesn't take the extra cream cheese, but also worked one extra hour of overtime to earn slightly more money for use in achieving his goals. I can imagine such incremental improvements all the way up to perfection.

I suppose you claim that acting in such a way as to achieve your goals is acting on your desires, and in fact how can we act on anything except our desires? I would say that there are two different kinds of goals: the goals given to use by evolution (reptile-brain goals), and goals which were conceived of by our ability to create models of the universe and coordinate these models with our ethical framework and value system to predict which actions will maximize the values we arbitrarily decided to care about (primate-brain goals). From a neurological standpoint, these two concepts are completely separated and distinct from each other.

If you can imagine a person who is exactly like you, except that the makeup of their brain causes them to be slightly more motivated by the latter kind of goal than the former kind of goal, compared to you, then can you not imagine such incremental changes all the way up to perfection? And yet you say that such is impossible, even though there is no law of physics which says it could not happen, no law of logic which says that the concept is self-contradictory or inconceivable, no piece of evidence which could possibly cause you to eliminate such a possibility from the space-of-all-possibilities.

Perhaps it is extremely improbable to do this with our current brain organization, but in this case all it would take is advanced neurosurgery, something which is likely to be invented during our lifetime.

I don't get it. Anyway, all I'm saying is that decision making is irrelevant, because your "choice" isn't really a choice, it's more, your consciousness has caught up to the moment in time in which you decide A. Not A or B. The "choice" between A or B will always result in choice A because A=the choice you'll make and B=the alternative that you pass up.
You are correctly perceiving the physics of this situation, but interpreting them incorrectly. You are the pattern of neurons in your mind. When you are faced with a two-option decision, the neurons fire in certain ways such that both decisions are considered, given subjective weights, and then you decide based on those weights. But if you recently read about, say, Bayes Law as a decision-making algorithm, then the physics of your own personal decision-making algorithm might decide to use Bayes Law to generate the subjective weights of each action you might take. If you are in an angry mood, you might give more subjective weight to actions which you predict will alleviate some of that anger. If you are in a horny mood, you might give more subjective weight to actions which you predict will lead to orgasm. There are a lot of factors involved with how humans make decisions, and although it is true that an observer standing outside of time would already know what decision you made, that does not make the actual act of deciding what to do irrelevant; it still happens, it still determines what action you take, and it is just as important as it would be in a world where physics allowed true free will.

Well, I guess it only makes sense if you believe in God. For God to come down to earth in the form of a man, and to be stripped of all manner of decency, to be beaten to a bloody pulp and yada yada, yeah the death of Jesus is pretty horrific when you read about it or watch crazy people's renditions of it like Mel Gibson, but anyway... it's a huge deal. I mean, there's this ... confusion or rather... oversight within some Atheists when getting into these debates. God isn't just nice and all loving. He's also a terrible power to be had, and nothing short of awe-inspiring, and terrifying. He's the beginning and end of everything so the story goes. And he came down to earth in Jesus form - and died a humiliating and excruciating death - just to learn enough about humans - to indeed live as a human - so that he can better speak on our behalf in Heaven. Yes. God's talking to himself. About us... his greatest creation. I know it's a lot to swallow, it's not meant for everyone to believe in, it's simply a matter of what is important to you. If it's important to believe that Jesus died for some other more worldly reason, cool! There are probably Christian factions that agree with you and have services to this effect. That's another reason why asking such a broad question may result in different responses. But anyway, the "typical" response will basically outline his sacrifice as being so grand and cool because God ... God man, God put on CLOTHES... and and... drank... WATER. And PEED everywhere! He LOWERED himself to Human so that he could better understand his creation, and when he was done, he allowed himself to be put to death. And that's bigger than anything a mere mortal can do.
Yes, it is bigger than any mortal can do, but that doesn't mean it's impressive. It isn't impressive at all. In fact, there is not a single thing an omnipotent being can do which would impress me, because he's omnipotent. Whereas a mortal human, who did not know he was going to be resurrected, who didn't have the ability to stop the crucifixion if he wanted to, who couldn't just call down an army of angels... For that human to go to the cross is much more impressive than a divine being going to the cross.

You talk about it being "important to believe that Jesus died". Believing something because you think it is good to believe, it is right to believe, it is virtuous to believe, is doublethink (from 1984). I'm sure you're familiar with Daniel Dennett's concept of "belief in belief".

A man says to you that there's a dragon in his garage. You say, "alright, let's go look at it".
He says "It's invisible." You say, "Well, I'll listen for its heavy breathing."
He says "It's inaudible." You say, "Well, I'll throw flour on it and see the outline."
He says "It's permeable to flour." et cetera et cetera et cetera

When Carl Sagan first imagined the above thought experiment, his point was that You Cannot Prove The Absence of Anything. My point is different from his point, and I doubt you've heard it before.

The man with the garage knew in advance what the outcomes of the experimental evidence would be. He knew in advance which experimental outcomes he had to explain away. This means that, somewhere in his brain, he must have a model of the universe where there is no dragon in his garage, or else he would say "That's a great idea! Let's go throw flour on it!" The fact that, even though he's never performed this experiment before, he already knows the outcome means that he must, at some sufficiently deep level, know that there isn't a dragon in his garage. Otherwise, how could he so perfectly align his predictions with the model of the universe which contains no dragon?

I think most Christians don't actually believe in God. They may believe that it is good to believe in God, that it is right and proper to believe in God, that it is virtuous to believe in God, but somewhere in their minds they must have a model of the universe which contains no God, for how else could they know what experimental outcomes they must explain away? This is what Daniel Dennett calls "belief in belief".

A major problem with belief-in-belief is that the person doesn't know they don't believe. They think that they believe. There isn't even any cognitive dissonance. How could this be? I'll quote Eliezer Yudkowsky:

Yudkowsky said:
You can possess an ordinary mental picture of your garage, with no dragons in it, which correctly predicts your experiences on opening the door, and never once think the verbal phrase There is no dragon in my garage. I even bet it's happened to you—that when you open your garage door or bedroom door or whatever, and expect to see no dragons, no such verbal phrase runs through your mind.

And to flinch away from giving up your belief in the dragon—or flinch away from giving up your self-image as a person who believes in the dragon—it is not necessary to explicitly think I want to believe there's a dragon in my garage. It is only necessary to flinch away from the prospect of admitting you don't believe.

To correctly anticipate, in advance, which experimental results shall need to be excused, the dragon-claimant must (a) possess an accurate anticipation-controlling model somewhere in his mind, and (b) act cognitively to protect either (b1) his free-floating propositional belief in the dragon or (b2) his self-image of believing in the dragon.
If someone believes in their belief in the dragon, and also believes in the dragon, the problem is much less severe. They will be willing to stick their neck out on experimental predictions, and perhaps even agree to give up the belief if the experimental prediction is wrong—although belief in belief can still interfere with this, if the belief itself is not absolutely confident. When someone makes up excuses in advance, it would seem to require that belief, and belief in belief, have become unsynchronized.
I think EY sums it up pretty well. So when you use the phrase "think its important to believe", that throws up huge blaring alarms in my head that we're dealing with belief-in-belief here.

Edit: Another question I have, something I've never quite understood... Do Christians claim that there is a complete chain of causality, starting with "all humans are sinners and must go to hell", somewhere in the middle "Jesus, Son of God, Divine Being, pretended to be a human, lived a sinless life, and then was murdered", and ending with "all humans are sinners, but some can go to heaven."

Could a Christian explain how that line of reasoning actually works? Could their model of reality have predicted in advance that "Son of God coming to earth and dying" would have an effect of "Humanity is redeemed"? Is there some law in the Old Testament which says that one can make sacrifices in order to not go to hell, which might be applied to God sacrificing (kind of) himself (kind of) in order to save all of Humanity? I just don't understand how all of the dots are connected causally.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
-An Epic Tale that spans the Ages-
Okay.

But if we discontinue generalization again and like with my example to which you conceded we look at Jesus and his apostles as special... perhaps these details are not so profoundly different from what "actually" happened.

I can't deny that Jesus' own death may have in fact been totally incidental and the glorification of it and the man Jesus after the fact by the 12 biggest followers was something of an half-elevation rather than factual "revelation."

I would say that there are two different kinds of goals...
Well that changes things, I guess I didn't pick up on that the first time? I think that a goal is a goal is a goal, but whatever. Our points are missing each other I think...

Perhaps it is extremely improbable to do this with our current brain organization, but in this case all it would take is advanced neurosurgery, something which is likely to be invented during our lifetime.

Sure! I guess? I dunno, maybe not great.

Hmmmmmm

Okay, so if I define desire as I have then you agree that even pure goalism up to and including perfection is a lifestyle choice which puts it in the realm of subjective. If I define desire as you have, then one can make the choice to live a perfect life independent of the evolutionary imperatives that we are born with.

Is that right?

I suppose the points cancel but I just think it's a bit strange to evoke this dualism as if one could separate morals and ethical framework and subjective compartmentalization from their baser instinctual self. I'm not saying that wanting a blue toothbrush is preceded by 6 hours of soul searching, mind you (unless you're with a woman OH!) it's more about how humans react to stimuli.

...and it is just as important as it would be in a world where physics allowed true free will

Well, again I think that it's only important because you say it is. The decision itself is not what's important or not... that itself is a subjective decision from without. The fact of business is that one ought not dwell on what could have been because what is, is what is, and it won't -can't- change. If only we could see just 1 one billionth of a second into the future on some distant cognitive level that helped influence our decision making so that we'd KNOW even just a smidgeon which one is the better choice ... the veritable "undo" button in life's Edit menu if you're clever enough.

But now this is twice I'm seeing this trend. Sure I can probably chip my head. Sure one day we can perhaps transcend the space-time continuum. Why are we talking about such abstract realms?

Yes, it is bigger than any mortal can do, but that doesn't mean it's impressive. It isn't impressive at all. In fact, there is not a single thing an omnipotent being can do which would impress me, because he's omnipotent. Whereas a mortal human, who did not know he was going to be resurrected, who didn't have the ability to stop the crucifixion if he wanted to, who couldn't just call down an army of angels... For that human to go to the cross is much more impressive than a divine being going to the cross.
"That don't impress meeeee much." Nah, but anyway, I getcha. The thing is that he -was- human. That's the whole point? When a God comes down to Earth, makes himself a mortal man, and throws himself at the mercy of his own creation, and they torture and kill him, uh, yeah. Haha it's a fairly important deal. But again, only someone who believes in the idiotic frameworks of gods and goddesses could begin to fathom this. He had no power to smite everyone that stood in his way. That wasn't his role. He was sent to be a martyr - a symbol of sacrifice. Why? Ask God :p

Edit: Another question I have, something I've never quite understood... Do Christians claim that there is a complete chain of causality, starting with "all humans are sinners and must go to hell", somewhere in the middle "Jesus, Son of God, Divine Being, pretended to be a human, lived a sinless life, and then was murdered", and ending with "all humans are sinners, but some can go to heaven."

Could a Christian explain how that line of reasoning actually works? Could their model of reality have predicted in advance that "Son of God coming to earth and dying" would have an effect of "Humanity is redeemed"? Is there some law in the Old Testament which says that one can make sacrifices in order to not go to hell, which might be applied to God sacrificing (kind of) himself (kind of) in order to save all of Humanity? I just don't understand how all of the dots are connected causally.
Eh, I'd google it. There's some blither blather about the Gates of Heaven being closed since Adam and Eve were cast from the Garden of Eden (Genesis) and when he sent his only begotten son blah blah he was able to ascend to heaven after the resurrection at which time he arrived and preached the good news and the gates opened and the blood of Christ, the cup of Salvation was shared by all and it was one big happy party for all souls then before and forever more. Amen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom